• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not knocking foreign language films in general, but I think this might have been slightly more accessible in English for all the Spanish parts. Of course, it would have made some of the dialogue absolutely hilarious.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that really liked Drive, this is pretentiousness dialed up to 11. It is incredibly insulting to the viewers time. Like, there is zero redeeming quality in why they feel the need to artificially insert arbitrary 5 second pauses between every damn line of dialog. Its infuriating. Like, i want to literally punch the fucking idiot that thought they were so clever making this. It really isnt good, the 50-something % it has at RT is way too high. I'm genuinely interested in seeing re-edits of this show that trims 50-60% of every episode down. It all has potential to be good but they intentionally ruin it because Refn's head is so far up his own ass.

Seriously, there is no hidden value or meaning into the long drawn out pauses this show labors on in every scene. You know i can understand maybe a few scenes doing this to set the tone, maybe the music montages or some important scenes here or there, but every, damn, scene is like this and i just can't get through it. I mean every episode is like 90 minutes. Those same episodes should be 40 minute3s and infinitely better. It actually takes a lot for me to actually dislike a TV show these days. Im of the opinion it's some kind of golden age of mostly great TV. But damn, this is difficult to watch.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not knocking foreign language films in general, but I think this might have been slightly more accessible in English for all the Spanish parts. Of course, it would have made some of the dialogue absolutely hilarious.
I think this may be the least accessible show ever....even Twin Peaks had a bigger potential fanbase before it aired. The Refn fans tuning in just for violence will be asleep before they finish episode 2. This would be the least likely renewal ever if a season 2 of this gets made. I haven't gone past 5 yet so I have no idea if it even attempts to set one up.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think this may be the least accessible show ever....even Twin Peaks had a bigger potential fanbase before it aired. The Refn fans tuning in just for violence will be asleep before they finish episode 2. This would be the least likely renewal ever if a season 2 of this gets made. I haven't gone past 5 yet so I have no idea if it even attempts to set one up.

Yeah...even if were wildly popular, yeah...not likely getting a new series unless they do it like Fargo.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm already watching it with captions on just because the dialogue is super quiet but the noises and music are super loud

I think episode 2's issue is just a lack of things happening. There's like 3 explosive things that happen over the course of 90 minutes with pure dead nothingness in between

I dig weird quirkiness like an old man awkwardly rambling about Pele every once in a while but when that's all you have for a full movie's runtime, yeesh

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So after episodes 6 and 7, I have to conclude that Refn has an incest fetish. That scene with Billy 'grunting' Baldwin was uncomfortable as fuck.

Also,

4c24Av3.png

I will never not this hilarious. The entire scene is just incredible for all the wrong reasons.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I watched the first episode of this last night. I think it might be the worst piece of media I've ever consumed.

Even with the obvious criticisms about runtime out of the way, those 93 minutes were devoid of any redeeming quality except the soundtrack. I could understand some of the languorous pans over cars and lights if they served any purpose, but it feels like every single frame is purposefully designed to be as obtuse and arty as possible. Let's linger on a headlight for a full thirty seconds. Then we'll cut to some wooden dialogue that's framed from the side, at a slight angle, for absolutely no reason. And also the guy delivering it is terrible. And it drags on five full minutes longer than it needs to. And also we're 16 minutes into the episode and Miles Teller hasn't said a word despite being on-screen almost the entire time.

I can only assume the intended experience is distance and disorientation, but the ways they've gone about trying to engender those feelings are absolutely amateur. Look at Blade Runner 2049 for an example of how a detached feeling can be created well, and for a purpose. Look at this for an example of a guy who thinks he's David Lynch but lacks almost all the talent.

I don't think I've ever really loved anything Refn has done, but I've also never found anything of his - or anyone else's for that matter - as actively objectionable, indulgent, and insulting as this first episode was. I almost feel like watching episode 2 just to see how much worse it can get.

EDIT: If Amazon want to give 'subversive' directors free reign to tell serialised stories, they should take whatever they funded Refn, double it, and give it to Gaspar Noé. At least the results would be entertaining.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode of this last night. I think it might be the worst piece of media I've ever consumed.

Even with the obvious criticisms about runtime out of the way, those 93 minutes were devoid of any redeeming quality except the soundtrack. I could understand some of the languorous pans over cars and lights if they served any purpose, but it feels like every single frame is purposefully designed to be as obtuse and arty as possible. Let's linger on a headlight for a full thirty seconds. Then we'll cut to some wooden dialogue that's framed from the side, at a slight angle, for absolutely no reason. And also the guy delivering it is terrible. And it drags on five full minutes longer than it needs to. And also we're 16 minutes into the episode and Miles Teller hasn't said a word despite being on-screen almost the entire time.

I can only assume the intended experience is distance and disorientation, but the ways they've gone about trying to engender those feelings are absolutely amateur. Look at Blade Runner 2049 for an example of how a detached feeling can be created well, and for a purpose. Look at this for an example of a guy who thinks he's David Lynch but lacks almost all the talent.
So [long pause] .......... You're not a fan [long pause] ......... Then. 😜

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's irritating, because I liked Valhalla Rising quite a lot, and I also enjoyed Neon Demon. Drive I can take or leave. I definitely don't dislike Refn's oeuvre as a whole, though.

The idea of a notoriously controversial director being given what looks like carte blanche to create a TV series is so compelling, that I can't help but be annoyed that this was the result.

I'm no editor, but I reckon I could trim that first episode by about 40 minutes and not lose a thing of value. All that extra runtime is just dead air; it's not even mood-establishing or immersive; it's emptiness.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's irritating, because I liked Valhalla Rising quite a lot, and I also enjoyed Neon Demon. Drive I can take or leave. I definitely don't dislike Refn's oeuvre as a whole, though.

The idea of a notoriously controversial director being given what looks like carte blanche to create a TV series is so compelling, that I can't help but be annoyed that this was the result.
No no. I undesrstand. I was just making a funny.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If Amazon are willing to throw money away, I've definitely be interested in a Terence Malick show.

See, now there's a director who knows how to do long pauses and has even better than Refn when it comes to visuals.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If Amazon are willing to throw money away, I've definitely be interested in a Terence Malick show.

See, now there's a director who knows how to do long pauses and has even better than Refn when it comes to visuals.
His last couple of films haven't been great, but Tree of Life was a masterpiece. I'd definitely like to see what he'd do if he got total control over a TV series.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having fun watching it, no idea why.
It IS like he is making fun of himself at times and other scenes are actually really funny ("I don't speak Spanish that well" or the car stuff in Ep3)
I can't get over the weird duck face "the American prince" makes.
So let's hold on him and then slowly slowly dolly out.
I'm actually looking forward to continuing this weird mess later tonight.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think I've ever really loved anything Refn has done, but I've also never found anything of his - or anyone else's for that matter - as actively objectionable, indulgent, and insulting as this first episode was. I almost feel like watching episode 2 just to see how much worse it can get.

EDIT: If Amazon want to give 'subversive' directors free reign to tell serialised stories, they should take whatever they funded Refn, double it, and give it to Gaspar Noé. At least the results would be entertaining.
Gaspar Noé wants to shoot short movies with as small a budget as possible, as few constraints and a lot of improvisation, ever since Enter the Void bombed. Also, he's more and more interested in making a documentary since he feels they are like the ultimate form or movies or something. I'd be surprised if he started working on a TV show.

That said, the typographical work in TOTDY is definitely influenced by Noé (and Refn admitted taking inspiration from Irreversible for Drive and Only God Forgives)

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading impressions I'm certainly checking this out. Not the biggest fan of NWR but his films are always interesting.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Watch the Pusher trilogy.

I've seen them. It's not often the case that watching something by a director you already aren't fond of will convince you they're good. What draws people to a director's body of work is tendencies, style, form etc. all things that I've found lacking in his work.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen them. It's not often the case that watching something by a director you already aren't fond of will convince you they're good. What draws people to a director's body of work is tendencies, style, form etc. all things that I've found lacking in his work.
I disagree strongly, but he's definitely a divisive guy. I recommended those movies since they're the most straightforward of his works. Less lyrical, slow, contemplative. Or as detractors would say, plodding. Haven't seen this yet but I'm hoping it's closer to his earlier work than something like The Neon Demon. Based on this thread I'm certainly not optimistic.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 8 was something else and I honestly thought the show peaked, but then the trailer park happened in episode 9.

The payoff to this was not worth the journey at all. There is no payoff, it's just 13hrs of unfiltered Refn where he's free to express everything. From banging your sister, to banging your sister dressed up like your dead mom to a dad jerking off as he recalls his underage daughter fucking her 30yr old boyfriend to motherfucking aliens and whatever the fuck was going on with Jena Malone's character in the last episode.

Fucking bullshit.

Staying all that, it's visually stunning.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 8 was something else and I honestly thought the show peaked, but then the trailer park happened in episode 9.

The payoff to this was not worth the journey at all. There is no payoff, it's just 13hrs of unfiltered Refn where he's free to express everything. From banging your sister, to banging your sister dressed up like your dead mom to a dad jerking off as he recalls his underage daughter fucking her 30yr old boyfriend to motherfucking aliens and whatever the fuck was going on with Jena Malone's character in the last episode.

Fucking bullshit.

Wut ? ....................... I need to watch the rest of this series. LOL.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Episode 2 is trash but the rest is great and it gets better every ep after. Ep 5 is god tier. On 6 now.

Also, Jesus dresses like a Max Payne boss

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

That'd be an interesting watch if nothing else. Climax has an amazing first half hour and then it falls into the tedium that most Noé tend to.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Liked it but I'm a Refn fan boy. Keep giving him money please. The HDR is real good in this

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Loved the first episode, probably the most gripping thing he's done. I usually think his stuff is all style, no substance, but this actually has the compelling writing to back it up.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved it all but hey, maybe my taste isn't refined. It's filthy - the visuals are saturated to the point of oblivion, the perverse relationships are hilarious and I'm just happy to partake. Appealing and gratuitous, I'm enjoying the pauses and the pouting. Hitting Episode 8, having the best time!

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Baldwin in ep 7 no no no no

Refn you sick fuck

And right after I type that my man miles teller breaks his neck. Fuck yes.

madkiller

May 29, 2018

Fucking bullshit.

Episode 8 works as a season finale with the last two episodes as afterthoughts, Refn mentioned in an interview that at the end of the shoot he ran out of money which explains the short last episode.

Also I don't think that Jesus and Yaritza were siblings. It was established that she was an orphan that the Don found in the desert and made her his nurse/lover.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
How on earth can anyone be saying ep 8 was good.

What a waste of time this show was. I'm just going to tell my friends to watch episode 5 and be done with it. Piece of shit anti climax. This is Valhalla rising all over again, the success of Drive broke Refn beyond repair and he just can't deliver on endings anymore. Fucking trash.

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 8 works as a season finale with the last two episodes as afterthoughts, Refn mentioned in an interview that at the end of the shoot he ran out of money which explains the short last episode.

Also I don't think that Jesus and Yaritza were siblings. It was established that she was an orphan that the Don found in the desert and made her his nurse/lover.

Fauxcest might have been more accurate but that whole dynamic was just fucked up and ultimately, like the entirety of the show, completely pointless.

We get it, the guy is fucked up and has an unhealthy obsession with his mom. Refn made sure to hammer that home hard early on, so the whole roleplaying scene in episode 9 was just pointless, it's almost mocking the viewer with how heavy handed it is.

So he had even more crazy shit planned for episode 10? Jesus Christ. I don't even want to imagine what madness he had in store with what was happening with Malone's character.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The opening of 10. Are you kidding me. Refn has some kind of fetishization obsession with Jena Malone. I'm just glad this madness is almost over.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What a waste of time this show was. I'm just going to tell my friends to watch episode 5 and be done with it. Piece of shit anti climax. This is Valhalla rising all over again, the success of Drive broke Refn beyond repair and he just can't deliver on endings anymore. Fucking trash.
But i liked Valhalla rising 😞

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC

Episode 8 was great but also too many things was going on. I wish they resolve some of them arcs earlier. Not have them all in one episode.