• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the iOS version of Bloodstained with a Backbone controller.

Despite its flaws, it controls so much more fluidly than the Switch version which has made all the difference for me. I'm finally getting that old Castlevania feeling that I was jonesing for but never felt with the laggy Switch input.

I've already put in about six hours in the last week alone (which is about six times longer than I ever managed with the Switch version).

May 10, 2019
Less about a single game and more about games in general because I've been doing a lot of backlog work:

There's been an absurd amount of amazing Indie/AA games to come out this year, to the point that my working list for 2020 GOTY is roughly 54 games somehow. I'm supposed to whittle this down to 30?! I hate it, but I love it at the same time. Also organizing anything outside the top 5 is equally wonderful and frightening - at least I've never been more sure about my #1 (locked in since about 9:50 PM CST October 10th).

I'll tell you this about a high ranking game in my list though: if you like Retro JRPGs and haven't taken a bite of Ikenfell yet, you absolutely have to do so before the hype becomes too much after international localizations happen. A tremendous story with multilayered and diverse characters and one of the most underrated soundtracks of the year - it's a sleeper right now but it's not gonna stay that way. I'm gonna be writing a lot more about it next month for sure.

Last edited:

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I finished CoD: WW2 today and enjoyed it quite a lot. I like the CoDs set in WW2, and this one reminded me of those games. I also liked that it wanted to tell a really intimate story of a group of soldiers, so they felt like actual characters, and well done ones. That's in contrast to other (and more recent) CoD games where you play as a much more generic character. It was also really pretty, and had some fun missions. Definitely worth a playthrough.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I've recently been trying to go through the Sony first party games I bought and never played through.

The first Last of Us game has some incredible performances, some of which blew me away even now.

Horizon Zero Dawn has an amazing setting, and those robot-dinos are some of the coolest enemies I've ever seen.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls is the most fun I've had with a Souls game since the first Dark Souls. Tight level design, simple, and a ton of fun.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 has been the kind of escape I've been looking for in a long time. I didn't follow any of the development or trailers outside of knowing Keanu was in it and have no idea what's coming.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Miles Morales impresses with its 60fps raytracing both visually and from a technological standpoint

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The Persona 2 duology has the best cast and plot in the entire series. The combat isn't my favorite, but I still think it's pretty neat.

Star Wars Squadron is a weird anamoly in everything EA has put out, especially Star Wars-related, in it's just a released video game. No GAAS/live service stuff. It wasn't even sold for $60 at launch. And then they STILL have post-launch patches that include free content, because the game was successful! They even went to the trouble of adding TrackIR support post-launch on PC! It honestly astounds me that the same company that published the modern Battlefront games could publish something like this: basically the X-Wing/TIE Fighter successor people have wanted for years.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Having mods on the console versions of Skyrim Special Edition is awesome and makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
WoW is a fun time right now. The new raid is fun and interesting, the dungeone are neat, the content is just great. So much better than BFA and so far I like it better than Legion

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I've fallen in love with prerendered graphics all over again thanks to Crimzon Clover. I'm not great at it but damn it's beautiful!

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Decided to get to all of the PlayStation Classics on my vita I got during sales. Started Xenogears (literally just in the first town because was having memory card issues), but the opening anime cutscene was great. Would love more of that in games rather than in engine stuff.

Other game has been Animal Crossing and really appreciating the little touches with sound design for the winter season. The crunch of the snow and the little jingles added to the music is a nice touch.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm legitimately having fun with Avengers' Campaign.

Despite all of the flaws, I decided to pick it up on sale during Steam's Autumn Sale for $30. Originally, I was a bit hesitant on it and didn't play it but I started to pick it up now because I wanted a game that I can play till Christmas rolls around and I get new things to play from family. So far, I've been having a blast despite Iron Man being a bit difficult to play. Kamala is such a fun main protagonist and I'm shocked at how much I like her. It's actually got me excited for the show. I'm not done with the story yet though, I'll probably finish it this week and do the Kate Bishop stuff, as well.

It also helps that I've been seeing a lot of patch updates or news from their War Table discussions that actually have me excited for the future (such as apparently, they've been talking about crossplay and also allowing multiple of the same Avengers in a party online rather than having it 1 Avenger per party). It's sort of a long term investment, right now, I'm more hooked than I thought I'd be and I'm glad I picked it up. Worse comes to worse, it doesn't get much better in the future but right now, it's been worth the money for me.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Warzone is a really well-done battle royale. I never feel frustrated when I lose—it doesn't ever feel like bullshit. The ability to come back or revive even in solos is a relief from other battle royales. The guyplay is fun, the graphic and sound design is fantastic, and the map itself is solid. Genuinely a great game, the MW multiplayer included.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Immortals Fenyx Rrising has been such a joy to play. Such a visual assault on the senses. Defs scratching the Zelda itch for me

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Playing through Hitman 1/2 again and the developers just get it. They don't overcomplicate their system (ie. No meter for hanging on to a ledge), the balance of humor and seriousness is much more seamless than Yakuza (I enjoy the contrast of ridiculous side missions and serious main missions in RGG, but Hitman just blends humor better to me), the mission opportunities are creative and fun. Can't wait for HIII.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Doom Eternal and shocked to find some don't like it?? I haven't played 2016 so I can't compare it, but this is hands down one of the greatest first person shooters I've ever played. Every facet of its design feels fine-tuned. Was not expecting such strong Metroid Prime energy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the new madden on nextgen. The new/modified locomotion and player movement is a big big improvement. I really hope they don't change it for 2021.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Immortals: Fenyx Rising is one of the most surprisingly fun and hilarious games I've played all year, and to think it's an UbiSoft game. It came out of nowhere to earn a spot on my GOTY list.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Went back to Half-life Alyx to finish it up after pausing on it halfway through a while back. What an amazing game

Also restarted Ori 2 after it got bumped in March when Doom Eternal and other games came out. Very pretty game on the XSX with the supersampled 6k / 60fps

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say a positive thing about the players. Anyone that beat Celeste without putting the difficulty all the way down like me deserves a cookie. You are gaming superstars.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I think the English countryside looks fucking beautiful in AC: Valhalla. I just want to grab my Barbour jacket and go to there.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Valhalla and Demon's Souls are so engaging that I'm struggling to find time for both of them. Even the bugs I've seen in Valhalla so far are kind of endearing.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the world design of Cyberpunk, all the neon speaks to me XD. The ads are great too.

I've also been playing Starfox Assault on Gamecube.. I like the banter between all the characters whilst I'm shooting things down.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Good thread. I've been mostly bitching about all the games I've played recently.

But I started Ys: Memories of Celceta on Vita and it's the perfect game to pass the time. I haven't played Ys since PS2, so I didn't know how big the series had gotten. The combat is fast and fun.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I concur. I'm 17 hours in and am enjoying it quite a bit. As much as I enjoyed the Ori games, this feels like more of a challenge, especially with some of the bosses.
The boss fights are so freaking fun.

What keeps me coming back is the sense of discovery i get everytime I uncover a new area or secret. Can't recall many side scrollers that are able to execute this so effectively.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, to the soundtrack! I'm not one who has an ear for these things (soundtracks/OSTs just normally go over my head and I don't notice them at all) but the soundtrack for this game is so good. Just listening to the soundtrack as you run around exploring the world-- it's so pleasant and soothing!

The exploration aspect (with all the elemental puzzles and hidden secrets that you can find) is really top-notch. It's BotW but better. And the thing that really stood out to me were the towns and villages. Liyue harbour is huge! I got so excited when I went up a cliff and saw the silhouette of this Chinese architecture nestled into a huge tree.

I am worried about hitting that wall once the main content is over but I feel like by the time I reach that point-- I've probably spent over a 100 hours traversing about the world. And that's probably more content than some games I've paid full-price for.

I did try out the gacha (I felt like I should be paying /something/ at least for all the enjoyment this game has brought me) but you're right. You definitely can play this game with just the F2P characters. Especially since they're giving away some of these characters (Barbara I thinK?) for free.

I'm playing on the PS4. So no cross-progression for me unfortunately. How's it like on mobile? Is it a huge battery drain?

:D :D Aah, I had no idea that they'll be adding a new area soon! I just got done with Mondstadt and I haven't even started the quest at Liyue Harbour. Gosh, I feel spoiled. Haha
Hah awesome! The whole Liyue questline is much more refined IMO and the atmosphere is also better than Mondstadt. They really nailed the Chinese vibe, so you are in for a treat. And I agree seeing Liyue Harbour for the first time (or even the Wangshu Inn) was special the same way discovering some major spots in BOTW was.

We already got the first big patch 1.1 a few weeks ago. It brought a couple of new quests that finished the Liyue questline. Before that, the story would just end midway through after a quest, but now it's complete for the second region. They also added the reputation system with requests and bounties, this wasn't in at launch. Now with patch 1.2, hitting on 23 December, they are adding the Dragonspine region. You can already see it on the map, there's a huge gap between Mondstadt and Liyue where this region will appear. It's on a snowy mountain, you can already see it from afar. I'm really excited for the new content. We'll get more quests, new treasures, perhaps also new 'culus to find. There will also be some cold-meter kinda similar to BOTW, so gameplay in this region will probably feel a bit different here because you constantly need to look for heat sources to keep you warm. Honestly if we keep getting updates like 1.1 and 1.2 every 6-8 weeks, I'll play this for a veeeery long time.

But I actually got one thing wrong about the Dragonspine region. I said it's the third of seven regions, but it's not. It's not part of the seven nations, which Mondstadt and Liyue are part of. It seems to belong to Mondstadt. Now can you imagine how big the game will be once all 7 nations are in if they are even adding additional regions on the side? The amount of content new players will be able to play in a couple years time will be incredible.

On the gacha, yeah I can admit that it is a tiny bit predatory with the limited banners ("get them now or they are gone forever" basically, though I am sure we will get reoccuring banner's eventually), also pack weight is horrendous, the amount of free gems is also pretty lousy compared to other gachas. But I don't feel bad about spending some money every now and then. I haven't put as many hours into any other game this year, so they definitely deserve some of my money. And yeah, the 4*s they have given out for free on top of free story chars are great. Barbara twice (once limited in the first few weeks, then again for reaching adventure rank 18), Xiangling for reaching stage 3-3 in Spiral Abyss and Fischl in the latest event that dropped with patch 1.1. Fisch especially is a top tier 4* character and Barb is a great healer that you will eventually need in Abyss. We'll potentially get another free character in 1.2, I've read rumours about Sucrose which would be great but we'll see.

Ah you play on PS4. I'm hoping that one day they will also open up cross progression with the other platforms there, would love to sometimes play on the big screen without connecting my PC to my TV with a long ass cable. It looks very good on mobile, I'm really impressed by it. Performance is a bit iffy. I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and feel like 60 FPS should be doable, but I can't get it stable even at lower settings. I have the weaker Exynos CPU variant and in general Android performance isn't the best from what I've heard, so I imagine it plays better on a recent iPhone. But it's still fine on medium settings at 30 FPS on my phone. It does draw a lot of battery, but I only play short bursts to do my daily commissions or farm some ore. I'm not great with touch controls and couldn't imagine beating some of the later Abyss stages on my phone haha. I'm just happy I can claim my daily commissions / Battle Pass stuff on the go if I'm not home for a day or two, very convenient.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Paradise Killer is buck wild and the only game I've played in a decade that has made me feel in any way similar to Yume Nikki.

Apr 21, 2018
Doom Eternal on XSX is the sharpest and most beautiful display of my 4K OLED yet. The game is a ton of fun (playing on easiest setting). I can't believe it was on gamepass.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The boss fights are so freaking fun.

What keeps me coming back is the sense of discovery i get everytime I uncover a new area or secret. Can't recall many side scrollers that are able to execute this so effectively.

I think I hit a wall of difficulty on this game, but it's funny that my new PS5 spent more time playing this launch week than anything else. It's really a labor of love and a great experience. I just wish I were better at it. I'll probably go back sometime when I'm not consumed by other games.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
WE rework in total war warhammer 2 has been a lot of fun. The bonus arrow of kurouns x3 for hawk riders is a lot of fun. I had a battle with 1200 WE VS 5000 goblins and my birdies did a shit ton of damage.

Danimaniac

Oct 27, 2017
Great idea, thanks for the thread.

I randomly decided to restart Valkyria Chronicles 4 and I'm loving the game all over again. The story is fine, but I'm here for the tactical gameplay and the character interactions which I'm really enjoying.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Live streaming me playing Call of the Sea so my mother that is sitting bored at home can help out with some puzzles and still enjoy a pretty narrative driven experience.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League ranked 3v3 with the homies is so intense but I love it lol, plus I dig the Kaskade additions.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars Squadrons is the most fun I've had using VR. It's a dream come true.

Last edited:

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time and I love it. The level design is incredible, and I haven't even minded any of the corpse runs (which I typically don't enjoy). It has such an incredible atmosphere as well.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm killing Nazis in Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. So there's that...

It runs great on my RX 480 and makes me wonder why everyone doesn't license ID Tech...