• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was 2021 too much marvel?

• Yes, I'm so marvel fatigued

Votes: 594 38.9%
  • No, it didn't bother me

Votes: 933 61.1%

• Total voters

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely getting burned out on Marvel stuff. I saw NWH and some of the stuff that was awesome I was still feeling like I was going through the motions of it.

Hawkeye I only started watching because I was sick and home from work a couple weeks ago. I have zero intent on seeing Eternals or Black Widow.

Honestly I don't think it's just Marvel but comic book stuff in general. I don't have nearly the amount of hype for this Batman movie either, and I honestly can't think of another comic movie coming out in '22 that I'm even interested in seeing. I'm sure Dr Strange 2 will eventually get my money but I really don't even have it in my calendar at this point.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
As someone lukewarm on Marvel, it is whatever.

If you don't like something popular, just ignore it.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not fatigued and I'm mostly down with DC. It's pretty easy to ignore the dumb stuff like WandaVision and Black Widow (although I eventually watched that boring movie). And even if I miss them, there's enough discussion to fill me in. Looking forward to the mutants and I'm excited to se NWH whenever my theaters start implementing social distancing again.

What annoys me are the people who only watch this stuff and think it's the greatest gift the Cinema gods could give us. "Is there anything better than the tension in Endgame?" "Endgame is the greatest film ever made" and stuff like that lol. Like, cmon, go watch more movies. For a lot of good stuff the MCU puts out, there's a lot of junk.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in the "not enough, MOAR" camp. Their non-binge Disney Plus+ strategy, plus the strip teasing of future plots from scratch is causing an itch that just won't stop.

The only Phase 4 media I haven't enjoyed so far are Black Widow, Falcon & The Winter Soldier, and I've yet watch Eternals and Spider-Man. Everything else has been straight fire. 🔥

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
i feel like the people who get marvel fatigue are those who don't even watch marvel stuff
Kind of.
It's not fatigue of the content. You can just not watch it if you don't want to. Easy enough to do.
It's fatigue of the discussion, the adverts, and the general hype-cycle, which is less ignorable because its kinda designed to get in front of you even if you weren't interested.

The only time I watch Marvel stuff is the odd Movie now and then when its Film night at a friends place and we cant decide on anything else to watch, but I see adverts for films and TV shows everywhere, plus lots of forum threads, workplace chatter, and videos on my YouTube feed discussing them.
Fatigue is probably a strong word for it, but the fact that the same stuff I was watching in the early 80s and 90's as a kids cartoon is still popular now, kind of makes it feel like geek culture has been spinning its wheels for the past 40 years.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
You don't have to watch it all.

I am not a big Marvel fan at all. I skip a lot of stuff and get round to the stuff I want to see eventually.

I'm never there on day one though (aside from Spiderman). I always watch months after the fact.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consume any marvel at all - not usually my thing, so I wasn't gonna vote. Then I remembered of all devs Firaxis is making a marvel game and I was just sitting here waiting for XCOM. So now I say too much marvel. You went too far this time.

I'll change my vote if they release another Marvel vs Capcom that doesn't suck

In all seriousness, while it doesn't affect me, it is fucking everywhere.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why it would feel like "too much" for me.

With the series I'm watching like a 40 to 60 minute ep every week. Movies are 2 hours in one day in a month. It's not like I'm only watching Marvel every day.

And no way home made me sub to marvel unlimited this month, so no fatigue here.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Since IW/Endgame I've been firmly in the Marvel fan camp. I think it's special, what they've done to build this vast shared history between properties. So I'm not bored. But I do wish they'd use their characters to tell more unique stories, sometimes. I'm not fatigued but I am frequently disappointed with the output. Still think the MCU is a net win overall.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The films existing generally aren't going to take away from other quality films from being made and existing.
That's debatable. People want that Cinematic Universe money. MCU arguably gave us a shitty justice league, questionable bvs movie, bad mummy remake, and whatever snake eyes is considered. The popularity of franchises absolutely has an effect on other franchises to varying degrees.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
That's debatable. People want that Cinematic Universe money. MCU arguably gave us a shitty justice league, questionable bvs movie, bad mummy remake, and whatever snake eyes is considered. The popularity of franchises absolutely has an effect on other franchises to varying degrees.

It's not the MCU's fault other companies made shitty movies.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt watch eternals but ive been consuming everything. good thing to look forward to after the shitshow thats been 2021

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm completely out of touch with the Marvel stuff. It's just not for me. It's the equivalent of fast food junk to me. They all look awful, souless, generic and predictable. There's no stake, any super-hero can be potentially revived or have a successor. I just don't get the appeal of most fights as a result. They are just mindless action sequences. I feel Marvel completely killed any chance of new blockbusters IPs like Matrix, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones like in "the old days". We got Dune and a new Matrix this year, and there's a new Nolan now and then, but Marvel has completely vampirized the "fantasy" movie landscape. What's worse is that regardless of quality, they are all successful it seems. User reviews are all extremely positive without any form of critical thinking.
I know, old man yelling at clouds, ok boomer and all that.
Luckily there's still brilliant movies being released like The Father or Drunk but I miss well crafted non-super hero fantasy or sci-fi movies.
Rant over.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I cooled massively on it after Endgame but it might get me back with the new Spider-Man film and Eternals which I haven't seen. The TV shows were okay but could be better.

I think Star Wars has almost died for me in comparison, while Marvel is pretty standard stuff, it's editable more or less. Star Wars is rock bottom right now for me, Mando is very middling to lacklustre, I feel like there isn't much new or refreshing, not for me right now, could say similar about Marvel I suppose but Star Wars is kinda Game of Thrones at the moment, I just can't get excited.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's like a comic book shop, you pick what you want/like. Choice is good.

I wish my West Side Story projection wasn't completely empty though. People need to look for the other shops too.

May 10, 2018
Not too much to me, and co-sign the people saying if you're not interested just ignore it.

With Star Wars I ignore it, I've had Disney+ since day one and haven't watched a single episode of Mandalorian or anything else Star Wars related.

When Game of Thrones was popping, I ignored it and when the spin-offs start dropping I'll ignore those too.

I'm assuming because I don't have cable, the only ads I see about any MCU stuff are the trailers themselves.

It's pretty easy to ignore things.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been fatigued of Marvel things for years now. Dont see that really changing. No need to watch everything, just picking and choosing what Im most interested in.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh its the time of the month again where people who don't want to watch Marvel are inexplicitely vocal about how much they don't want to watch Marvel, instead of not watching Marvel, while also pretenting everyone actually having tons of fun with it only are either brainwashed, the lowest common denominator, wrong or lying.

Why can't you just let people have fun with their superheroes? There's SO much other stuff for y'all to watch.

It's the equivalent of fast food junk to me. They all look awful, souless, generic and predictable. There's no stake,
This has to be some kind of Bingo winner, wow.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ever since Endgame I have been very fatigued. I do want to watch No Way Home, but I'm not in a rush to see it.

I actually read a lot of old Marvel Comics this year though.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Just replying to your post but it's just an overall observation and not targeted at you specifically.

How can people be "exhausted" watching a show/movie? MCU movies aren't puzzles or hard to follow stories and are 2:30hrs at their longest in one sitting.

If they're burnt out by watching Marvel content then I don't know how others can survive when they binge watch a whole series in one sitting.

A movie every couple of months is hardly going to burn me out, I can't really understand this. To me it's all about quality, if they're still good I'd be happy for even more.

that's kinda the point: we've gone from being conditioned to have a new entry in the MCU every few months to a new entry only a week or so apart.

Personally I'm not a binge watcher and find that when I do I can't really take in what I'm watching and it all kinda blends into one. Going from literally nothing in 2020 to stuff every month in 2021 is a big change, and a considerable investment over a year when each episode of the D+ series are around a hour with additional two-three hour movies on top of that.

I think it's possible to grow tired of anything but at the end of the day it's each to their own though, I've found taking a break has helped and now I want to dive back in. The only thing about delaying stuff is that it's inevitable that you are going to fall behind and can't avoid getting spoiled to some degree (I already know a lot about what happens in No Way Home). With more content being added all the time you can fall so behind to the point where you just stop watching.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Why can't you just let people have fun with their superheroes? There's SO much other stuff for y'all to watch.

I don't mind people enjoying it (although I find upsetting that even a lackluster Marvel movie is generally still commercially viable) but it impacts me because I get to see a lot less original non-super hero movies at the theaters. Plus, you can't even avoid it, it's absolutely everywhere, the marketing is on a worldwide scale. It gets tiring.

This has to be some kind of Bingo winner, wow.

I'm the winner of my own opinion? ;)
BTW, what's your absolute favorite Marvel movie (other than the Avengers movies) and why if you don't mind?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
BTW, what's your absolute favorite Marvel movie (other than the Avengers movies) and why if you don't mind?
I'll have to check my actual Top XXX list of literally everything Marvel since 2000, but it's at home and I'm not :D

I wanna say it's Endgame/Infinity War though, followed by Loki? I'm honestly not sure, there might have been changes in the meantime.

wait one is avengers, the other one's a movie. Might be Winter Soldier or Shang-Chi then. I really have to update.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No way Home proved that Marvel fatigue is an illusion, a fallacy created by haters. We are just getting started!

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'll continue to get roped into watching the vilest Marvel garbage by my MCU crazy friends. Some of it is cool, but I'd get way less Marvel fatique (lol) if the movies were better. Excited to watch Spiderman tho!

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I honestly unabashedly can't get enough of the MCU, I guess I'm part of the problem lol.
I just re-watched Loki yesterday (after No Way Home wowed me and made me crave more) and had a blast! And now I'm watching Hawkeye with my mom. Some things are hit-or-miss (like Falcon & Winter Soldier or parts of What If or Eternals) but for the most part, I've liked what they are doing (WandaVision, Loki, Shang-chi, No Way Home).

I'd say they've come back in a big way after covid delays and whatnot but I think it's exciting to see all of the stories and ideas they're lining up. It's totally okay to decide not to watch anymore or to only pick and choose what you like. But for me....I say keep it coming!

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
This was definitely the first year I felt it. After struggling to get through Falcon, we skipped Eternals and Hawkeye. Just went and saw Spider-man though which was awesome.

I think the new movies look great though and I'm mainly sick of the old phase 1/2 characters and shows that included then. Bring on some new stuff.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give a shit about the marvel stuff because I don't watch it, but it does get tiring having to ignore 200 threads a day in OT about it.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I don´t even watch it and thinks it´s to much. It´s freaking everywhere.

Except Deadpool. Deadpool is funny.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Lol nah. If anything marvel movies/shows are getting crazier and more interesting to me. Feed me that content. Not to mention we are finally getting some good marvel video games again.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's easy to ignore most of it, because any sense of being connected is pretty shallow. So it's easy to pick and choose.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
I put all Marvel and SW threads on ignore. That seems to be too many's personality trait, and it's just too much.
Same. Marvel, DC, and Star Wars. I actually like a couple of the Marvel movies but constantly hearing about stuff you don't really care about can get kinda old after a while. I wish we had an "ignore word/phrase" option here since having to go through and manually ignore like half the front page is a nightmare. Other than that I don't really mind all the Marvel stuff and am glad that so many people enjoy it.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep watching mostly cause I have a year of Disney+ for free but I never really find them to be anything more than a distraction / background noise. Can't say I really liked much of anything past Endgame though and I've seen Black Widow, Shang Chi, Loki (episode 1, then gave up), Hawkeye (episode 1, then gave up).

I think I'd like Spider Man but I definitely wouldn't go back to the theatres to watch these movies.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
oliver.jpg

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
I've always adored the MCU, but went into the Phase 4 stuff expecting to like it "just fine" at most and slowly start getting uninvested in this universe.

….and then the shows were what they were, followed by NWH being THAT, and I'm back to being 10000% all in. Such a pleasant surprise that the quality is continuing - if not changing in welcome ways - and I can't wait to see where they go next.

(I'll note I skipped venom and externals which may have helped; I liked venom okay having watched it after NWH, but it's definitely not main Marvel content to where I would've counted it for something like this anyway.)

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Give me moar Marvel. 2021 only looks tightly packed because Covid19 pushed many 2020 productions and releases to delay their schedules.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Been tired of it for a long time now but still end up watching everything out of boredom. Whatever though lots still enjoy it so thats cool.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not fatigued, but i skip stuff for characters that don't care about and i don't feel the need to watch all of this immediately.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I was. But I also feel like I can ignore some stuff. I still haven't seen Black Widow. The character has been boring as sin since day 1 and they still made a movie of her. Dunno if I will ever watch it or just catch the end credits stuff when I can be arsed.

I feel like I can ignore a lot of things because of how much stuff they are pumping out. Just like the comics where I ignore most things except the main hero books I am interested in e.g. Spider-Man, and then maybe dabble in bits where bigger cross-over events happen.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I will always want more. I have enjoyed every single thing they've put out so far to varying degrees.