• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

YouTube's recommended list offers some golden videos every once and while, and this one is fantastic. I never really knew just how much Pro Skater allowed Tony Hawk to do the things he wanted to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got recommended this vid last week. Love Tony too much to not watch it.

Him appearing at the Oscar's probably gave it a bump in the algorithm.

Oct 29, 2017
The 900 made him famous, the games made him rich.
I won a signed Hawk poster at a skate contest when I was a kid but it's pretty beat. Honestly hard to express just how much those games and him as an athlete have meant to me. The games got me on a skateboard and it's his continued career and overall demeanor of the nicest guy in skateboarding that keeps me skating to this day. Seems really genuine and his Twitter is usually pretty hilarious.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The first few Tony Hawk games were massive. Everyone at school was playing. It's ridiculous that arcadey sports games in general are basically dead.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really want a new THPS. A good one. It doesn't need a super-high budget; just give me some good levels, good music and good mechanics and I'll be pleased.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would kinda be more curious about how his relationship with Activision soured, why the games went on indefinite hiatus, only to return with one terrible low-budget effort before his contract expired.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's interesting to hear about how skating used to be associated with criminality as someone who grew up with the Tony Hawk games/skating craze.

Not saying he sold out or anything but skating to me growing up was just normal/commodified already.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Hawk seems like a nice dude. I wish those games had held their steam, he was a great face for skateboarding.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
i will still regularly boot up pro skater 3 a couple times a month on an emulator and just fuck around for a session or two. game is the definition of perfect

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I think all the way up to American Wasteland was literally my entire childhood

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even have to negotiate that 4 mill, they just gave it to him.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The way he talks it really sounds like he's well familiar with how the game development side of things works, pretty neat.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by some of his self-ribbing tweets Tony Hawk seems to have a pretty good sense of humor. I wonder if skate culture will ever bounce back as big as it seemed in the 90s.

sub-buzz-19060-1537308893-1.png

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I poured so many hours into Tony Hawk Underground 2. Good memories.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This interview makes me long for a THPS sequel, spiritual or otherwise. Someone needs to 1:! copy THUG2's mechanics, improve what needs to be improved, and then toss it out there for the world to consume. It's time for arcadey skateboard games to make a comeback.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this a while back really good video .

There was another with one of the other guys from THPS1 where the dude said he got a yearly royalty check of $150,000 which were far larger than anything else they were ever making.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Played THPS4 a lot in my phat PS2, great times. The fact that there isnt a good skate game since... well, since the last Skate makes me wonder if this generation of playere knows how funny the genre is.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I've been seeing TH pop up a lot recently.

I feel like this is leading up to a new, proper remaster of the early THPS games, or maybe just 2/3/4

I think Activision knows they would sell really well as long as a bit of effort is put into them

(and I wouldn't be shocked if they added microtransactions)

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
People giving the series the gameplay credit it's due, but leaving out the atmosphere the games had. I've described it as every Tony Hawk game felt like it was both celebrating and parodying skater culture simultaneously, which gave it a ton of charm.

Oct 25, 2017
I won a signed Hawk poster at a skate contest when I was a kid but it's pretty beat. Honestly hard to express just how much those games and him as an athlete have meant to me. The games got me on a skateboard and it's his continued career and overall demeanor of the nicest guy in skateboarding that keeps me skating to this day. Seems really genuine and his Twitter is usually pretty hilarious.

I vibe hard with this post.

Similarly, he got me on a skate at 15, and figures like him are why I'm still on one at 35.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Skateboarding hitting the olympics this year may give the genre a bit of a boost in terms of public perception, Maybe they could revitalize the franchise with a selection of new skaters and some classic pros kind of like the wrestling games . They could also go full next gen photo scan with parks and skaters. I think it would be a relatively doable game to make
Tony hawk is a massive good force in the skate industry, who pours so much of his personal money and fundraisers to get parks built through the foundation , he's also a really nice guy in person

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I freaking love the Tony Hawk games. Up to & including Proving Ground, they are my favorite sports games & I still play them regularly.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Skateboarding hitting the olympics this year may give the genre a bit of a boost in terms of public perception, Maybe they could revitalize the franchise with a selection of new skaters and some classic pros kind of like the wrestling games . They could also go full next gen photo scan with parks and skaters. I think it would be a relatively doable game to make
Tony hawk is a massive good force in the skate industry, who pours so much of his personal money and fundraisers to get parks built through the foundation , he's also a really nice guy in person

I'm genuinely surprised that it doesn't seem like we're going to get a new skateboard game to try to piggyback off its first Olympic showing. Especially since the face of skateboarding at this years Olympics is going to be an extremely popular US skateboarder (Nyjah Huston). He's probably the most popular skateboarding since Tony.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Great dude, did a lot for skate's WW recognition.

The games are legendary, i can safely say that my teenage music tastes (which i carry from then) and many others' have been heavily shaped by their soundtracks.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I've been seeing TH pop up a lot recently.

I feel like this is leading up to a new, proper remaster of the early THPS games, or maybe just 2/3/4

I think Activision knows they would sell really well as long as a bit of effort is put into them

(and I wouldn't be shocked if they added microtransactions)

He's been popping up for a few reasons: his 50th birthday, which carried with it a ton of mainstream press, the upcoming THPS documentary and the buzz about skateboarding being part of Olympics (which he isn't directly involved with, but as a prominent figure he's out there talking about it anyway).

Tony's doing a game of some sort with somebody, but he can't do THPS without Activision and they can't do anything with THPS without renewing the contract, which they haven't done.

I wonder if Activision could do a Pro Skater game with another skater, or even just a generic one, or if the "Pro Skater" brand itself is tied directly to Tony.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean any sports that isnt nfl, nba, soccer, tennis, golf or baseball usually doesnt make you that much money. also skateboarding wasnt really viewed as a legitimate sport back in the days. it all changed with tonyhawk and activision really made a big comback with tony hawk as well. they were irrelevant after the atari days and after tonyhawk they really could launch their next big hitters like guitar hero and call of duty.
He's been popping up for a few reasons: his 50th birthday, which carried with it a ton of mainstream press, the upcoming THPS documentary and the buzz about skateboarding being part of Olympics (which he isn't directly involved with, but as a prominent figure he's out there talking about it anyway).

Tony's doing a game of some sort with somebody, but he can't do THPS without Activision and they can't do anything with THPS without renewing the contract, which they haven't done.

I wonder if Activision could do a Pro Skater game with another skater, or even just a generic one, or if the "Pro Skater" brand itself is tied directly to Tony.
similar to madden or tiger woods its probably a bad idea. EA tried to make golf games without tiger woods and those sold terribly

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
nice tidbits but what i latched on to is THPS being in a deadlock because the activision contract expired which somehow means he cant go make a THPS (even named differently?) with another publisher. Boo

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
In other episodes at least Cab and Reynolds say that they got 250k as royalties from the first THPS after it blew up, so pretty nice.