• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
As someone who has spent a lot of hours playing Modern Warfare in recent months, I have a feeling this new Tony Hawk is borrowing that engine.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I have a genuine question. I've never played the originals (or any TH game for that matter), my first skating game was Skate 2 on the PS3 and I fucking LOVED it. Especially the controls (that stick was magic).

I know the nostalgia around these games are insane, but these are still quite old games. Is this good as a Skate 4 replacement or am I going to be disappointed. I loved Skate 2 for the relatively realistic approach and the really nice controls.

They aren't realistic in the way that Skate was shooting for, like at all. It's probably why they were so popular. At the core they are arcadey score attack games that are super easy to pick up and play and have snappy mechanics and controls and you don't really have to be into skate boarding at all.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I have a genuine question. I've never played the originals (or any TH game for that matter), my first skating game was Skate 2 on the PS3 and I fucking LOVED it. Especially the controls (that stick was magic).

I know the nostalgia around these games are insane, but these are still quite old games. Is this good as a Skate 4 replacement or am I going to be disappointed. I loved Skate 2 for the relatively realistic approach and the really nice controls.
No, THPS is completely different from Skate. THPS is very arcade-y, whereas Skate was closer to a simulation.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Completely different than Skate. This is arcadey, giant combos with millions of points, press X to jump sort of thing. Skate was defined by how the stick worked, this doesn't have the same control scheme.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I could do without the revert and I wish it was on Switch but $40 might be the right price for this. Wish it was out now, to be honest

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just realized Activision is publishing.

You would really think Mr. Hawk would try to take his brand elsewhere consider how downright awful the last handful of Tony Hawk games under Activision's label were.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
8R7SMtZ.jpg
Oh look. Uka Uka from Crash. I wonder if Crash will be a secret skater. I know they wanted Crash in THPS5 but Acti said no.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
EGS only and first. Very surprising Activision isn't putting it on their own Battle.net

Oh well I got Session and Skater XL so I can wait for Wario64's announcement of the game coming to PC.

This is what stands out to me as well. It seemed like Activision was starting to embrace Battlenet as their company wide launcher with COD, but they're still putting out random games on other stores as well. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate having to deal with launchers other than Steam, but i'm at least mildly sympathetic to games being on their own publisher's launcher. I suspect that there's still probably some sort of internal resistance from Blizzard about turning Battlenet into a broader launcher, as evidenced by their aborted name change from a few years back as an attempt to stake it out specifically as a BLIZZARD launcher.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized Activision is publishing.

You would really think Mr. Hawk would try to take his brand elsewhere consider how downright awful the last handful of Tony Hawk games under Activision's label were.

He can take his name to other companies, but the "Pro Skater" games and their code belong to Activision. Really seemed like they were on the outs when his contract expired but they probably were able to lure him back in on the promise of recapturing old glory.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017

Tony Hawk is a much different beast but still fucking amazing. If they do this remake right then you'll still have one of the best games of all time on your hands.

If you haven't already heard, look up Session and Skater XL. The latter is coming to consoles this July and that should be much more your speed.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$39.99 becomes €44.99 in Europe, what the hell? Fuck you Activision, not buying this.
Fwiw, that's not really on Activision. While right now $39.99 = €36.85, there's the added tax that's included in the price in Europe as well. Including the 21% tax, that becomes €44.59. So without tax it's pretty close to what the game costs in the US, where tax isn't included in the price.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression the whole reason Activision rushed THPS5 to market was because of the THPS licensing agreement ending, was that not the case?

Their contract with Tony Hawk was expiring. Don't know the specifics of their deals, if they could have theoretically produced "Pro Skater" games without Tony Hawk (sort of like how the Goldeneye N64 rights are tied up) but the games are owned by Activision. So much of the nostalgia is tied into the man as well as the games that it sort of made sense to come together.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Saw above post. Great!

I always wanted to try these games but just never did. Hopefully they retain the same physics and controls. Do we know yet if the gameplay is intended to match the originals 100%?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Create-a-Park stuff legit shocks me. That's something I figured they would leave out. Excited for that. Was a pie-in-the-sky feature for a PSOne game but now with modern consoles and the internet it can finally be realized in a real way which is exciting.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Their contract with Tony Hawk was expiring. Don't know the specifics of their deals, if they could have theoretically produced "Pro Skater" games without Tony Hawk, but the games are owned by Activision.

They must have driven a dumptruck of money up to Tony Hawk's house then. I can't imagine wanting to work with Activision otherwise after the string of frankly awful "Tony Hawk" games that Activision published between 2008 and 2015.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So it's likely for the THPS2 20th anniversary hence why 3+4 aren't on the set.

Also, some songs aren't gonna make the final setlist but it's likely the songs people forget were on both games.

Also Skate 4 is trending...c'mon EA.

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does todays youth even know about Tony Hawk?
He's been out of the skateboard game for so long, what's next?
Andre Agassi Pro Tennis?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It being done by Vicarious Vision sure is reassuring.

Really curious to see the end game, here's hoping they didn't butcher the OST like HD, or replaced skaters like in HD, or having physics like HD.

In fact, I want them to use HD as what NOT to do with it. It's not complicated really, make it a 1:1 remake with stunning graphics and online, I'll be fulfilled, that's all I fucking need.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They must have driven a dumptruck of money up to Tony Hawk's house then. I can't imagine wanting to work with Activision otherwise after the string of frankly awful "Tony Hawk" games that Activision published between 2008 and 2015.

I'm sure Tony was nicely compensated but I think the Activision/VV pitch of trying to do justice to the old games rather than reinvent the wheel might have been what he was looking for.

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My immediate thought after hearing it has "most" of the original soundtrack was "this shit better have police truck" so I was glad to have my fears immediately assuaged after hitting play on the trailer :)