• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tony Hawk 3 Should Be in the HD Collection!

• Hey...Yeah!

Votes: 318 71.8%
  • Mmmmmm...no OP. I don't think so.

Votes: 125 28.2%

• Total voters

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I'm going to guess they didn't include THPS3 because of licensing costs. That game had Darth Maul, Wolverine, and the Doom Guy as unlockable characters.

The only licensed character in 1 and 2 was Spider-Man in 2.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put money on the following:

THPS 3 + 4 in September 2021
THUG 1 + 2 in September 2022

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Consider also that 1 and 2 were built using the same engine while Tony hawk 3 used a new engine built from the ground up. Entirely different physics, animations, everything.

Knowing that they are building this game on the source code from the classics, it makes sense to put these two alone in a bundle. They could certainly put levels from 3 in there and we would all have a great time, but the feel would be different.

I think we would all be better served by having a separate volume with the ps2 era games with their own physical rules. Better than the feel being different and we all complain that we can't use our muscle memory to complete these goals.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I think 3 has some scope issues that they want to avoid having to address. Having a soundtrack the size of the first two games combined and then some, having to do cinematics and pedestrians, and running on a different engine from 1 or 2 (this is noticable if you play the back-ports from N64 and PS1 that still play like 2 with reverts). I'm fine with them holding off on it for piecemeal updates or a release later

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess they didn't include THPS3 because of licensing costs. That game had Darth Maul, Wolverine, and the Doom Guy as unlockable characters.

The only licensed character in 1 and 2 was Spider-Man in 2.
They could just... not have those licensed characters. I am honestly kind of skeptical we will even see Spider-Man in this package. They're already not getting back all of the old music, just most of it.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Two games in a collection per year seems to be the way they'll do it
3+4 next year
Thug 1+2 the following year
Project 8 x American wasteland x proving ground at the end.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
.........what do you think they planned to make DLC of in 6 months after launch and they rake in all the positive reviews?

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
While I do think that THPS 3 is the high point in the series and it would have been nice if they included it ...

They can go either way by implementing revert in 1&2. DLC for 3, maybe even 4. Or they package 3&4 as they did with 1&2.
Then there could also be a remaster of THUG 1&2.
By adding revert people won''t feel like 1&2 is lacking gameplaywise (as long as the nail the general feeling). It is a good move strategically in my opinion.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It would certainly be great if it were included but holy shit, thats a lot of content and all redone.. hard to really ask for more. Time is finite and people cry enough about disk space as is.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
One of my biggest regrets is selling both Tony Hawk 3 and 4 on the PS2.

Hope we get it next year. The levels were way better.

I still have a sealed copy of Project 8, a lot of people were over the series by then, but I'm sure the game wasn't that bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like the same situation as with Crash Bandicoot. As soon as everyone knew it was a home run and was selling, Crash Team Racing became the most easily assumed thing ever, and it was just a case of waiting for it to be announced. I'd be shocked if we don't get at least 3, but perhaps 3 + 4, either as DLC or a separate release.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Pro skater 3 was my launch gamecube game, which i bought on import so i only had this to play for weeks. When you only have one game you kind of make the most of it, so it brings back fond memories like the airport level and the music. The music was so awesome - why do videogames now have such crap music? Gta 3 and vice city's musiv radio stations were so memorable, but then we got to gta4 and gta5, which were just plain crap. Maybe music has just gone bad since then in general?

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed for DLC of the cruise ship and airport levels at least - many many hours were spent on those, always surprises me to remember just how much I enjoyed the Tony Hawk games

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I would've been happy with just #1 but having two of them is awesome. I think 3 on one would be a bit of an oversaturation. Maybe they're just testing the waters and if this sells well they'll add a couple more games to another release.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
person-1-hey-whats-that-cky-song-you-always-play-28537553.png
I'm crying! Fuck this broke me. Hahaha!!!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I obviously wouldn't say no but it strikes me as a pretty big ask to fully remaster three full games. Pretty pleased we're getting both 1&2 to start.

I'll take a THPS3 remaster later for sure.

Oct 29, 2017
Might as well ask for a pony as well while you're at it. You're already getting a pretty sweet deal here; asking for THPS3 on top of all that is pretty dang greedy.

I suspect that a THPS 3&4 Collection will be coming down the line if this one is successful.

I think THPS3 was one of the last if not THE last licensed N64 game in the west.

Yup. It was indeed the very last N64 game to ever be released in any region.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they are pulling a Nitro Fueled and are adding that content as well.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I want the game for free because THPS HD was so fucking bad

Kidding but it deflated my hype for this a little bit. They really fucked up the first time doing this. I hope it's good this time

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Would make sense to include all three classic games in a bundle. Bundling 3 and 4 together doesn't make as much sense.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
What would you do with 4 if the current bundle included 3 as well? Bundling 4 with Underground wouldn't really fit well either.

But that's assuming there'll be more remakes to begin with. Who knows what they plan next.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
THPS3 is the best one too. It sucks it's missing.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Patience. They're gonna milk me dry and I'm gonna give them my money. I've waited too long for this

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
1 and 2 now, 3 and 4 next year. Gotta keep the cash cow healthy and don't milk her dry too quick.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That's the whole challenge of the series. The objectives themselves aren't particularly difficult. It's hitting them in a single session that asks of you. So you go to free skate to practice or just chill. Then career to put your skills to the test.
Yeah I guess that's fair. TBH I didn't know it was even possible to do that, or at least I don't think a vast majority of people would ever be able to get all the goals in a single run so I'd still appreciate the option.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
You can free skate but that isn't the same as career mode and collecting stuff in the levels though right? It doesn't count towards career mode where you get kicked out of levels after two minutes and have ten objectives in each level. I really think people who haven't played these before are going to be like "wtf, why do I only have two minutes, I'm just getting started, I hate sitting through these loading screens", etc.
I'm not too familiar with the first two games, but in the later games you didn't have to sit through another loading screen to start a new run. Even in the middle of a run you could pause and hit restart and it would take 1 second to get going again. Assuming it's the same with this remake, you can just do one goal at a time and start a new run after each goal to reset your timer, essentially giving you 2 minutes to do each goal with almost no downtime.

Consider also that 1 and 2 were built using the same engine while Tony hawk 3 used a new engine built from the ground up. Entirely different physics, animations, everything.

Knowing that they are building this game on the source code from the classics, it makes sense to put these two alone in a bundle. They could certainly put levels from 3 in there and we would all have a great time, but the feel would be different.

I think we would all be better served by having a separate volume with the ps2 era games with their own physical rules. Better than the feel being different and we all complain that we can't use our muscle memory to complete these goals.
Agreed. I'd rather not have to play through 1 & 2 with 3's physics or vice versa.

It does make me wonder how they're going to handle putting 3 & 4 together since their campaigns are structured so differently.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see THUG over any other. Every time I play THUG Pro on PC, makes me wish we had an official port on current gen systems