• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for legislators to catch up with this kind of stuff. It should be extremely illegal.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the game launches as a great complete product then I don't care if they decide to sell create-a-skater cosmetics.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Jun 26, 2018
Game development and music licensing are more expensive now than they were 20 years ago. Game prices have relatively stayed the same. This was the point made. You literally went so what Activision is rich.

www.pcgamer.com

EA tells investors turning off Battlefront 2's microtransactions will not affect earnings

"This change is not expected to have a material impact."

Whatever they've lost by not raising the prices has been earned in triple or quadruple by now through various means (not even counting microtransactions), and the argument should fucking die already.

Edit: This lame argument is trotted out every single time someone even dares questions one of the game industry's new questionable methods for making money, as if that one fucking thing (not inflating game prices) even makes a dent in the vast amounts of money they're making. It's literally them trying to highlight "how nice" they're being, while they're developing new and more insidious ways of dehumanizing their customers and ripping them off through every psychological manipulation they can find.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
How is the DLC in CTR? Are the carts cosmetic only? Do they split the MP base with tracks?

I like how Activision is treating Call of Duty where everyone gets all the maps, but don't like that they have DLC guns with unique stats.

the GOP won't do shit about it
Everything's cosmetic. They gave out tracks for free. There's a huge time trial community in racing games. Would have a huge uproar if karts had advantages. The only thing that affects stats are driving classes that you can choose whatever.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
We should wait and see what type of microtransactions they're planning, before we pass judgment.

I hope that the initial packaged game is "feature complete", and contains most or all of the content from both the original games (barring licensing hurdles). If that's what $40 gets you, and I don't have to buy anything else to enjoy the game, then I don't have any issues with Activision wanting to sell other cosmetic items, skaters, or even new levels, as long as:

1. They aren't deliberately trimming gameplay content (such as tricks or levels) found in the original game, so that they can sell them separately later.

2. The paid content is balanced, and doesn't cause an unfair advantage in online play (e.g. a paid DLC character has abnormally high grind/manual balance ability or recovery from botched tricks).

I haven't played the new Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, but as other in this thread pointed out, that might be a good indicator of the direction Activision is headed. I've got no problem with adding new post-release content, as long as the initial game delivers on what the publisher promised, and what customers could reasonably expect.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
By the time it launches on Steam the situation will be clear. If it has annoying microtransaction unlocks and I still decide to get it, I'll just unlock them with Cheat Engine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
They need to change the laws about this, so scummy and underhanded. Launching with no microtransactions then when everyone's in and the reviews don't mention it sliding them in after. Should make it that if they're not stated at launch you can't add them later.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Game development and music licensing are more expensive now than they were 20 years ago. Game prices have relatively stayed the same. This was the point made. You literally went so what Activision is rich.

Yeah, game prices certainly have stayed the same. For example, it's funny how a digital copy of THPS 1+2 will cost the same as a physical copy even though it costs Activision less to produce it, and both will cost far less to produce than THPS1 did in 1999 where they'd have to include a manual or make a cartridge version. Weird how the savings never get passed onto the consumer, but the extra expenses do!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy cosmetics anyway so this means exactly nothing to me, same with MW which I play for 10 hours a day

if it's more than cosmetics, which I doubt, then I wouldn't be happy
SERIOUSLY DOUBT

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely scummy to add them later to avoid bad reviews/ESRB stuff, but I honestly don't care about this as long as the game has some free unlockables like the originals.

I will happily pay for level DLC if the gameplay is great.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If all of the original content is there from the first two games (which I'm sure it will be), then I don't see the problem. If they want to add additional skaters/outfits/boards/levels on top of that then that's perfectly fine.

Microtransactions aren't inherently bad. I love it in Smash, Civilization, and many other games. The problem arises when the gameplay loop and dev focus revolves around microtransactions such that it destroys the gameplay experience, and/or parts of the game are sectioned off behind a pay wall.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope unlocking skaters and levels doesnt work as in CTR where you have to fill a bar bydoing useless missions. Just let stuff get unlocked as in the good old days.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Honestly, I'm okay with this. I never felt I had to spent real money in CTR. I just hope we get new free maps along the way.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They need to change the laws about this, so scummy and underhanded. Launching with no microtransactions then when everyone's in and the reviews don't mention it sliding them in after. Should make it that if they're not stated at launch you can't add them later.
Agreed. Especially when it's lootboxes. A company that adds lootboxes after launch should be forced to recall all physical copies and re-print them with a gambling warning on the box.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
In fine with it. As long as the base game has a decent amount of content they can sell all the skateboards and skins they want.

Yeah same. I think if it matched the PS1 version's content, maybe an extra cheat code here and there, but the exact same game from 1999/2000, people will be happy.

But if they're going to add DLC, I hope it something actually exciting. Like playing as Spider-Man again.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
The game was promoted as microtransaction free, and launched with a shop where you could buy content with the ingame currency, only the ingame currency. A couple of days later they nerfed the amount of currency you could win with daily bonuses and the like, to the point where it was not worth it to play after the bonuses were over.

Then they announced a couple of monthly events where you had to farm (quite a lot) a new type of currency to unlock every content of the event.

And finally, after the second? event they added microtransactions, and i stopped playing.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The game was promoted as microtransaction free, and launched with a shop where you could buy content with the ingame currency, only the ingame currency. A couple of days later they nerfed the amount of currency you could win with daily bonuses and the like, to the point where it was not worth it to play after the bonuses were over.
This is false. They've been making it easier since launch.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
This is false. They've been making it easier since launch.
That was my experience with the game the first week, and it was really noticeable (it was easier to obtain currency the first two days or so). Maybe they changed it back, or relaxed it a bit since then (i havent played since they added the microtransactions), but they played a lot with the currency.

In any case, they will find a way to add the usual treadmill to this game as well, and this time i'm not taking any chances. I will wait to see how the implement it before i decide to purchase it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Well duh

I mean how else am I going to unlock Jack Black ?

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
This is what activision does for every game they release at this point
Kinda getting old but I don't think what they've added has been super shitty since Modern Warfare Remastered

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is why I hate modern gaming

Looks like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X on the Xbox will continue to the the GOAT for the foreseeable future

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The headline is rather sensationalist. The actual text makes it sound like it could be an expansion. Add in the content from THPS3? That sounds pretty cool to me.

Also they did right with CTR by me, so I'll wait to pull out a pitchfork.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I know that it was almost inevitable, I just hope there's still some element of unlockables in this game as there was in the originals - whether that's cheat modes, videos or new skaters - rather than being things you can just buy from an in-game store with currency.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
isn't it $40 at launch ?

if i can play the remaster with my friends online very easily, it will be the GOAT

Yes it is $40 at launch. But doesn't matter what you say, mtx is bad mkay*.

(*Includes expansions too apparently)

I know that it was almost inevitable, I just hope there's still some element of unlockables in this game as there was in the originals - whether that's cheat modes, videos or new skaters - rather than being things you can just buy from an in-game store with currency.

This is the problem with sensationalist gaming news. The op literally says they confirmed there will be a lot of unlockable through gameplay content like the og.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If the microtransactions are purely additive - new decks, clothes, etc - and all the original content from THPS1 and 2 are in there at launch, I couldn't give two fucks.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
" We're not planning on having monetization at launch"

"at launch"

I wanted to write "Yeah, duh? Of course not, how and why would you do that". But now I'm more like "Oh fuck off".

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is probably cosmetic stuff like skins, skates, etc.
www.pcgamer.com

EA tells investors turning off Battlefront 2's microtransactions will not affect earnings

"This change is not expected to have a material impact."

Whatever they've lost by not raising the prices has been earned in triple or quadruple by now through various means (not even counting microtransactions), and the argument should fucking die already.

Edit: This lame argument is trotted out every single time someone even dares questions one of the game industry's new questionable methods for making money, as if that one fucking thing (not inflating game prices) even makes a dent in the vast amounts of money they're making. It's literally them trying to highlight "how nice" they're being, while they're developing new and more insidious ways of dehumanizing their customers and ripping them off through every psychological manipulation they can find.
Star Wars is a huge, profitable license. You can also argue that games from Naughty Dog or Rockstar don't need MTX because they easily sell millions. But you can't say the same for every franchise. Also, MTX can help other games' budgets. Chances are you've played a game that was at least partially funded by them.