• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching all week and dreading today. I'm going to lose it when he says goodbye. Even knowing he's gone, every evening has been reassuring watching him host.

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I watched last night's and he ended saying to stay tuned for "tomorrow's Christmas episode".

His last episode is the Christmas episode.

šŸ˜­

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be surreal since Trebek presumably didn't know he wouldn't be coming back at the time it was filmed, so I expect he won't end the episode with a proper sendoff. Perhaps a "see you next time" that will never happen, which will be hard.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched last night's and he ended saying to stay tuned for "tomorrow's Christmas episode".

His last episode is the Christmas episode.

šŸ˜­
That might be wrong. With all the breaking news , jeopardy wasn't on for me. They said they were airing the missed ones today (or was it yesterday?) at an earlier time in the day

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is going to be sad. I don't know how my ~2 year old is going to react when a different host comes out.šŸ˜¬

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What a legend. And to think this time last year he was hosting the Greatest Champion of All Time in primetime

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
He was apparently in great pain throughout the filming of these episodes, but still carried on like a champ. We're going to watch this tonight for sure.

Nov 18, 2020
I kind of wish they would cancel Jeopardy now. I understand they are a profitable business and people will still like it, but the show just won't be the same without Alex. He defined Jeopardy for 37 years and shepherded its entire revival. Alex is far more impactful to Jeopardy's legacy than Art Fleming (who was only the host of the old show for 11 years).

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly looked like a good dude.

And it takes incredible fortitude to face what he did without cracking... I don't think I could do it.

Respect.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I remember flying out to Cali as a kid so my mom could be on Jeopardy. Now, his final episode airs on my 34th birthday. Life's weird man.

OP
OP
E_i

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
"We'll see you next week."

Oh, no we wont, Trebek. *cries*

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a bummer. That montage at the end definitely did the job, you can't fill shoes like that.

There was one bit in the chitchat where he mentioned having more books than he could ever read, and it's little stuff like that really gets under my skin. Like, damn, there's a book in a box somewhere that he never got the chance to finish. Small tragedies.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I liked how one of the little snippets of footage was him in what looked like Sean Connery's Highlander getup. There can be only one.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
That ending was tough to watch :(

With him starting as the host a year before I was born, Alex has been a staple on television for my entire life. He will be missed.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, that montage. I've watched this show religiously ever since I was a kid. My mom and step-dad loved it and we would all watch it together. It was hard to see this last show. RIP to a legend.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It makes me sad that he never really got those couple minutes to speak right to the camera. I imagine his health declined at too rapid a rate for that to have ever been an option, and filming in any environment but the exact same as usual, him in a crisp suit on-set, would have been unacceptable to him for delivering a message.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
The last montage wasn't enough. Wonder if they're making a documentary on his best Jeopardy moments.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of wish they would cancel Jeopardy now. I understand they are a profitable business and people will still like it, but the show just won't be the same without Alex. He defined Jeopardy for 37 years and shepherded its entire revival. Alex is far more impactful to Jeopardy's legacy than Art Fleming (who was only the host of the old show for 11 years).
I watch every night with my wife. You might be right, but I would have said the same for Price is Right. Drew Carrey is now the host. He's been doing it long enough now, some adults only know him as host and have no idea who Bob Barker is. No one will fill Alex's shoes....they just need to find the right fit for a host going forward.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a taping once, and was struck by how incredibly charismatic Alex was. I don't watch Jeopardy! regularly, but it's one of those things it'll be hard to picture *not* being on, with him at the helm.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
argh. i missed it thx to all the craziness. anyone know of a feed?
Really you can just watch any episode of Jeopardy and then watch

The only thing that felt a little different was the last line "Thank you all and see you next week." Hit differently because of the situation, but he always says that.

Personally I like that it was just a small tribute. If Alex Trebek wanted some big send off he could have retired after his diagnosis and no one would have blamed him. Instead he continued to work like usual.