• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The article is from early this month though, the game should already be prepared to go gold.

So who the heck was feeding the article writer all these lies then? A member of the dev team or someone with a flight of fancy?

Genuine question, were there any areas cut from RE2make?

Not really. There was the Marshalling Yard I guess. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The cuts from RE2 Remake were enemies like crows, spiders and the Giant Moth boss battle.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So who the heck was feeding the article writer all these lies then? A member of the dev team or someone with a flight of fancy?

Not really. The cuts from RE2 Remake were enemies like crows, spiders and the Giant Moth boss battle.

I dunno, it's incredibly weird. If it was a +6 month article I would understand it but not for a game that is about to launch.

I can't see how devs would delete that much content in say...a week? I also don't see how OXM would do an article like that just based on rumours...

Nothing makes sense with this game lol

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not really. The cuts from RE2 Remake were enemies like crows, spiders and the Giant Moth boss battle.
Hmm, I never played the original Nemesis, so I have no frame of reference on how much was cut from. My pay has been cut anyway so any purchases are being pushed back.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I dunno, it's incredibly weird. If it was a +6 month article I would understand it but not for a game that is about to launch.

I can't see how devs would delete that much content in say...a week? I also don't see how OXM would do an article like that just based on rumours...

Nothing makes sense with this game lol

So it was all a bunch of lies then. Incredibly bizarre. Will have to take whatever OXM say with a grain of salt from now on...

Hmm, I never played the original Nemesis, so I have no frame of reference on how much was cut from. My pay has been cut anyway so any purchases are being pushed back.

I suppose the best frame of reference for how much was cut from the original RE3 going by what the reviews have said is if they did a remake of RE4 and cut out half the village section, half the castle section, cut the Island into nothing and around a third of the enemies and instead of making the game longer to compensate, made it too short.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Genuine question, were there any areas cut from RE2make?

It depends on you're definition of cut. The RCPD, Seweres and Lab were all there as in the original but in certain cases were completely rearranged which may give the impression that some areas or rooms were cut or lacking which is true.

Actually, the platform you take from the factory down to the labs was cut. The area where you move blocks around as either Ada in Leon's playthrough or Sherry in Clarie's playthrough was also cut.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
So, bumping, because this mag seemed to be the largest source of misinformation of the game:

All of this is flat-out wrong. What the hell happened?
Somewhat related, but the magazine shutdown. Maybe the RE3 exclusive info was thrown together as a last ditch effort to gain subscribers?

www.resetera.com

Official Xbox Magazine Shuts Down | Continuing Video Game Publications Facing Budget Cuts at Future

Via Eurogamer, more in the link such as the bosses at Future taking a pay cut: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-30-long-running-official-xbox-magazine-shuts-down Best wishes to those laid off.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The level of wrong-ness in that article points to using unverified sources for most of the information rather than speaking to the development team or official PR persons directly. Really awful work by OXM, who was the author? And now they're closed? I wonder if this is COVID-19 related or was always planned for around this time.

Aug 25, 2019
It depends on you're definition of cut. The RCPD, Seweres and Lab were all there as in the original but in certain cases were completely rearranged which may give the impression that some areas or rooms were cut or lacking which is true.

Actually, the platform you take from the factory down to the labs was cut. The area where you move blocks around as either Ada in Leon's playthrough or Sherry in Clarie's playthrough was also cut.
I like what they did with Ada, taking out pushing the blocks was a great cut imo

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat related, but the magazine shutdown. Maybe the RE3 exclusive info was thrown together as a last ditch effort to gain subscribers?

www.resetera.com

Official Xbox Magazine Shuts Down | Continuing Video Game Publications Facing Budget Cuts at Future

Via Eurogamer, more in the link such as the bosses at Future taking a pay cut: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-30-long-running-official-xbox-magazine-shuts-down Best wishes to those laid off.
Oh it shut down? Good riddance

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I have the magazine and I'm not sure where it says most of this stuff, Dusk Golem just read into things and translated into what he thought they meant.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I have the magazine and I'm not sure where it says most of this stuff, Dusk Golem just read into things and translated into what he thought they meant.
I have the magazine too, but I can breakdown some of the points. I do think the enemy thing was a misunderstanding on my part (though also in my defense the column about them is worded a bit weirdly), but the rest if all pretty plainly written in the magazine itself.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

In the original RE2, the map seems to suggest they still intended to have a factory section in the game before scrapping it, tbh. I was really disappointed it didn't make it back in.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I have the magazine too, but I can breakdown some of the points. I do think the enemy thing was a misunderstanding on my part (though also in my defense the column about them is worded a bit weirdly), but the rest if all pretty plainly written in the magazine itself.
Yeah, the part about which enemies were returning could have been written out in a less confusing way on their part.

It's a lot to ask, but any chance you could share the gist of what they wrote?
Part of my post was talking about your previous post there, but I think it was a quote from Dusk in another thread teasing stuff, not this one.

Anyway, I saw someone mention these parts as being lies so I'll try to clear them up. (Already been cleared up about the enemy types so not going to repeat myself, just read Kyle Cross' post in here (it's threadmarked).

-Say Raccoon City is a LOT bigger than it's been previously. They designed a lot of the city, it's not open world but they designed it so you can explore quite a few streets and even stores and buildings of the town, and have multiple paths through the city to take.
Peter Fabiano says they you can explore a lot more of Raccoon City this time, but it's not open-world just that there is more to explore. They also say that the game employs a more Metroidvania-type approach: "progress requires unlocking doors to move through shops, restaurants and apartment buildings". I noticed that in the demo where you can open up an extra path with the ladder. Unless that's the only part where you can take multiple paths in the full game then this isn't false.

-Jill can unlock more pathways in the Subway System to new parts of the city as a form of fast travel. As you get further in the city, the Subway becomes kinda' your hub to connect all the different parts of town.
I get a little confused with this one, Dusk. I might be missing it in the mag, but what I see is "Jill uses the subway system to move around different areas of the city, and at one point, having restored power to the underground first, we needed to plot a viable route in the control room by figuring out the relevant code for each of the station waypoints." Like I said, I might be missing it, but I don't see anything about hubs or fast travel.

-There's a lot more side stuff you can do than RE2 or the original game, often times there's optional back-tracking the game gives you... You have a code to unlock a weapon tack in another part of town now, but do you want to trek through the city and risk facing enemies you left, or worse, Nemesis showing up while you do so? There's a lot of optional distractions, route planning and risk and reward going on here.
Not sure where the lie is here.

I think it also should be made clear that the one of the producers at Capcom, Peter Fabiano, was the one they got a lot of their info from, so it wasn't like they made all of this up as they were going along.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So I did wonder if it was a transcribing issue so I got the magazine myself.

-Grave Digger is confirmed to be in the game. Hints there's some Tremors-inspired sequences with it, and you can shoot and toss grenades down its throat.
-Spiders are confirmed to be in the game! They have a tendency to scuttle all over the place, sometimes towards or away from you, or drop on you from the ceiling. (Also confirm Drain Deimos and Spiders are separate enemies in RE3 and behave differently.)

'The T-Virus mutations set to make a return

Monsters returning from the '90s original include Hunter Gammas, giant tick-like Brain Suckers and leech-like Sliding Worms. Here are some of our other favourite fiends from the original that you can expect to make a reappearance in the reboot. Hold us.

GRAVE DIGGER

An enormous underground worm with mandibles. It can burrow fast, and could therefore pop up anywhere. Best pack grenades…

GIANT SPIDER

Spiders infected with the T-Virus scuttle all over the place, and they can drop on you from the ceiling. Oh no. No, no, no.'

Sneaky use of "expect" to cover bases. But there's nothing about Tremors or any sequences involving the Grave Digger in the article. There is no mention of the spiders' behavior.

-Say Raccoon City is a LOT bigger than it's been previously. They designed a lot of the city, it's not open world but they designed it so you can explore quite a few streets and even stores and buildings of the town, and have multiple paths through the city to take.

'Stinking city

The city feels huge, and alive with, well, death. Zombies are everywhere, in bigger numbers than ever, sumptuously lit by burning cars and sparking electrical cables. Again, the game employs a Metroidvania-type approach; progress requires unlocking doors to move through shops, restaurants and apartment buildings – the streets themselves are blocked by burning vehicles.'

'The fixed camera angles in the original game did a decent job of hiding the limitations of the day; this time, even with the Metroidvania trick of revisiting areas, the game genuinely feels much more expansive. Despite the linearity of progress through the environments, there's certainly enough freedom of movement to make it feel like a bigger play area.

"You can explore a lot more of Raccoon City this time," confirms Fabiano. "We have built it from the ground up, there is some reference here and there to the original, but it is Raccoon City reimagined. You can go into certain shops and see things you wouldn't have been able to see before. It's not an open-world game, don't get me wrong, but you can explore a lot more."'

-Jill can unlock more pathways in the Subway System to new parts of the city as a form of fast travel. As you get further in the city, the Subway becomes kinda' your hub to connect all the different parts of town.

'Jill uses the subway system to move around different areas of the city, and at one point, having restored power to the underground first, we needed to plot a viable route in the control room by figuring out the relevant code for each of the station waypoints.'

-There's a lot more side stuff you can do than RE2 or the original game, often times there's optional back-tracking the game gives you... You have a code to unlock a weapon tack in another part of town now, but do you want to trek through the city and risk facing enemies you left, or worse, Nemesis showing up while you do so? There's a lot of optional distractions, route planning and risk and reward going on here.

'Similarly to RE2, we find ourselves backtracking a lot to different locations, either to unlock that weapons rack we clocked earlier, but now have a means to open, or to get electrical parts to open up doors to progress.'

'Nemesis can be stopped, briefly, by dealing enough damage to him – though it's going to take a lot of handgun bullets to do that. A grenade will certainly give him pause for thought – used sparingly, an explosive will bring him to his knee, giving you precious time to get away. Also, handily someone's filled the streets of Raccoon City with knackered generators. They're sitting innocuously sparking away, but shoot one and it sends out an electrical pulse that stuns Nemesis and any other monsters caught in its blast.'

'So, we persist – and eventually pull off Perfect Dodges, ducking past Nemesis, remembering to go the right way (it's easy to get disorientated and head down the wrong alley), making sure to load our shotgun for the next zombie that comes round the corner, and eventually make it to the subway. Phew.'

Aside from that shitty Returning Enemies sidebar, it's a very run-of-the-mill preview based on the build they showed B-roll footage for
www.resetera.com

Resident Evil 3 - First Gameplay Footage barrage

There's a ton of previews as well someone else can make a topic for, but I just wanted to make a topic for Gameplay footage as it's the first real look at gameplay for Resident Evil coming with today's media drop. A lot more where that came from, I'll try to collect all of it in this topic.

The misinformation seems to be a mix of preview hype and the OP filling in gaps that weren't there. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to over-exuberance, but some of those comments are just not present in the article and should have been corrected in the multiple threads they resurfaced in.

edit: regarding the safe/save room that caused the initial snafu

'Nothing is sacred anymore. OXM is cowering in a safe room, sent back there by the click-clacking typewriter of our last save game, but with zero health and nada green herbs. There's a hulking brute with fists of concrete, a murderous demeanour and grabby tentacles between us and the subway station we're trying to reach.

This big bully can kill us with one hit right now, and there's a bunch of extra-mutated undead to contend with, too. Frankly, it's just not fair. The situation is desperate, but at least we can take a moment to gather our thoughts. Except we can't, because all of a sudden, Nemesis barges into the room. Into the safe room. That long-established Resident Evil oasis of calm, ink ribbons and item storage has been compromised.'

That's very explicitly a save room they're talking about, but Kotaku's RE3 review says Nemesis can enter save rooms.

Staggering every step of the way, blowing zombies out of my path with frenzied shotgun blasts, I entered the safe room. I thought I would have a moment to breathe. I thought I would be able to save my game or rifle through my storage box for healing items. Then, the Nemesis entered.

kotaku.com

Resident Evil 3: The Kotaku Review

About five minutes into the Resident Evil 3 remake, I uttered the word “brilliant.” I don’t use that word often. I don’t know if I should have used it then. Brilliance is an incredibly rare thing, but Resident Evil 3 hooked me from the start. So I used the word. It is an explosive game brimming...

Last edited: