• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
When Nvidia launched its RTX 3000 GPUs, the availability of the cards was less than great, with demand far outstripping supply, leading to a shortage. Now a new report suggests the problem is about to get worse.

European hardware retailer Alternate, which operates in Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium, has spoken with Nvidia about availability and confirmed that, throughout the first quarter, the cards will be even more difficult to come by than before. There are multiple factors at play, including the surge in Ethereum mining, none of them good news.

What to Expect?
Alternate spoke with Nvidia about each of the cards, with the following situations:
  • RTX 3090: Very few deliveries, but only a few open orders
  • RTX 3080: Very few cards coming with many open orders
  • RTX 3070: Few cards incoming, but few open orders
  • RTX 3060 Ti: Very few cards coming, and a moderately high amount of open orders
more at tomshardware

Welp

Glad that i got my 3080 for a pretty good price in October. For the rest who is still hunting good luck.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So is this the first "official" recognition by the vendor and supplier of the return of mining rigs?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
chinese new years is saturday so expect plants in china to be down for at least 3 weeks, those in taiwan a week and that doesnt take into account turnover and time it takes to retrain staff

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I gave up on 3080 and just grabbed the first 3070 I could get. At this point a decent deal on a 2080ti would not be a bad alternative either, it outperforms the 70 in lots of cases.

What's crazy to me is thinking of the fact that 3080 will be yesterday's jam by the time it's more easily available (if that happens). Might as well put that fund aside for a 4080.

Just fucking shoot me.
Imagine I'm shooting you with a gun made out of RTX cards.

Bang bang

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think that things may not be improved much by this fall, and that the CPU/GPU/Series X/PS5 shortages may extend into 2022.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I guess I'll be able to sell my 3070 for a property and Tesla on ebay.

What's going on so that there's a shortage on anything computer related?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be using this 970 until the end of time, if it isn't miners or scalpers driving the prices to unaffordable levels it's mass shortages. Is it too much to ask for a mid-range card to be available at RRP before its old hat and a new product is about to launch?

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Only makes sense, Chinese new year leads to all factories being closed for around 2-3 weeks and this time because of all the shortages there is nothing surplus left of any stock.

From what I've seen of retailers in the UK AMD have already told them there won't be any more Ryzen CPU's until next month.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeesh. So glad I got one on release. No one can take your away from me!
48YI0y7.jpg

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know it could get worse.

Edit: I lied, I forgot it could get worse, it's that time of year anyways

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel too bad about paying a hundred or so less-than-top tier Ventus 2X 3070 anymore.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping by the time 4XXX comes out production lines will be back to normal. That's when I plan to upgrade from my 1080

Karanlos

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a Gigabyte gaming OC on December 2nd and got it before Christmas, while my brother ordered an Asus TUF in November still hasn't gotten any update. Got very lucky.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad my 1080ti is still going strong. Hopefully for everyone's sake the production is able to catch up soon.

Plum

May 31, 2018
On one hand, I'm glad I've decided to leave off with PC gaming for the time being. Seems like it's completely shitting the bed, even harder than on the console space, and after dealing with the stress of said console space I'd rather not go through that experience again. I'll come back in when things like stock, next-gen performance, RTX, etc are further dealt with.

On the other hand, the selfish Capitalist side of me is kicking itself for agreeing to sell my entire PC to a family member for £800 at a time where I could have made a killing due to GPU shortages.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's just sad...

I'm still on the 9/22 EVGA queue for the 3080😂

I'll probably get my notification around Summer.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
There's still plenty of launch day (September 17) orders yet to be fulfilled in Europe and prices have increased roughly 30-80% from launch. Great release by Nvidia, but at least companies are putting more and more models and variants out there for no reason at all because they can't even fulfill existing orders. Nice little mess all in all.

Oct 25, 2017
The most frustrating part of this stupid mess is that Asus is releasing ridiculously small amounts of non-OC models while releasing way more OC ones.

I have a RTX 3080 TUF non-OC order from September 20th. If I had ordered the OC version instead, I would have my card now. Fuck you Asus.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
My 1080p gaming monster basic 2060 cost me around $300 a year ago. Now it's like $750 here. For a fucking 2060! Glad I went for it back then and don't really need an upgrade for a couple years at least.

Even a basic 1660 is upwards of $600 in my country. It's downright impossible to build a budget pc here right now, and it doesn't look like the situation will change in the foreseeable future.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Wow, thank God I managed to get a 3070 at MSRP at Best Buy right after Christmas. I feel like I really dodged a bullet.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Been on the fence if I wanted to jump from a 2070 Super to the 3080 but at least the decision is being made for me lol

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I just gave up on ever getting a 3080. i broke down and got a 3090 once my retailer of choice offered me one at MSRP. Yeah, it was stupid expensive and more than I planned to spend originally, but scalper prices for 3080 are reaching similar values here, so why not get more power and RAM instead of rewarding those damn scalpers?

Oh god, listen how I rationalized buying a completely overpriced GPU. This whole situation is just crazy.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I work for a company that is a distributor for several brands of cards and we just aren't getting them in.

Oct 29, 2017
Ended up running across a Series s randomly at Fred Meyers Sunday and decided to pick it up. I'll skip another gen or two before rebuilding the pc (or just building a new one) and save a bunch of money by not paying scalpers.