• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked membership ends tomorrow, December 27th. Truly the end of an era for me. The 20% discount on new game purchases stacked with other deals on games allowed me to get way more physical games than I normally would have been able to otherwise. It was one of the biggest reasons I have stuck to almost completely physical when possible on my Switch.

Now that I no longer have that built in discount, I can definitely see myself going digital in the future more often. I never resell games and I do need to reduce clutter. I have some preorders lined up with the discount, so I have a while before I have to make any decisions regarding that.

Anyone on here still clinging on to their GCU memberships? Also, any games I should preorder before it expires for me tomorrow?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
cover2.jpg

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I never buy anything at BB anymore since mine expired. I'm not sure how much it impacted their bottom line giving those discounts but I suspect a lot of people stopped going there for games purchases once they got rid of GCU.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mine ended in February and it was a blessing in disguise. I've stopped impulse buying so much for just the discount. I'd set a limit for myself of 2 games a month for the last couple of years but come March I've barely bought anything until the BF sale where I got stuff much cheaper. I did preorder a few games I know I wanted day 1 right before it ran out through, stuff like Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
F

Preorder anything that Best Buy has in their system that you want, I'm like 95% sure you still get the GCU price on the preorder even after it expires

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I have to check mine, but I remember you have to like jump through hoops just to find the link.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Mine's good until January 17th. I'll probably stop getting every single 1st party Switch game without that sweet discount.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
When mine expired late last year or earlier this year, my purchases from Best Buy dropped to almost zero. Before I was an Elite Plus member. I wonder if Best Buy noticed any financial fallout from other customers curbing their visits or purchases. Guess not, otherwise they would have brought it back.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah mine expired earlier this year and I haven't bought a game there since. And outside of any deals/sales, I probably won't anymore.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

My GCU ended this November, and it just hasn't been the same ever since.
F

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I bought way more games in general when this was a thing. I'd have to think BB's game sales are down overall because of eliminating this program.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Before mine expired, I preordered every game I thought I'd ever want. You can always cancel if you change your mind.

Oh I didn't know you could pre-order and still get the discount.

I was worried because mine's expires late next year, and it might be a week or two before Next gen consoles release.

So hopefully they have alot of 2021 games listed. 😬

OP
OP
SchuckyDucky

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Best deal I ever got from this was the Visa Checkout deal where you got $25 off a purchase of $100 that was around just before the Switch launched. Got BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Arms for like $36 a piece at launch.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went 100% digital (except for Nintendo) when my GCU ran out. Game sharing is the new way to save money now.

Apr 8, 2018
Mine ended back in July iirc. Didn't buy a whole lot of games with it, but it was still one hell of a program. I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 as one last hurrah.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Mind ended late November. Stocked up on pre-orders beforehand & have rewards I have to use before the end of next month. I'll definitely be buying less games, for sure.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RIP. I pray Nintendo has some more games to announce soonish since mine expires almost exactly one month from now.

I put in a good 10 pre orders in a couple weeks ago before I lose it. Might go back to Amazon after my GCU goes. Crazy I'll have to go back to paying full price on games for the first time in three or four years.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
"Your Gamers Club Unlocked membership is valid through Jun. 2021"

when will they cancel mine...lol
no way they allow me to go that long

FoxyGanondorf

alt account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
Mine ended in January. I'd like to say that I miss it, and I do at times, but thinking "I don't wanna spend full price on this game" has allowed me to not buy every single game that comes out and just tossing it on my backlog. So there's a slight bright side to it.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It ended for me in october of 2019 this year, It sucks though.

It was awesome buying games cheaper from 2011 to 2019 for ne overall with amazon and bestbuy. I feel bad now lol

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss mine so much. But I did manage to lock in the price for a few games day one.

I'm already feeling the lost of GCU. I saved so much money and started to shop at Best Buy on the regular.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This would have been so damn useful next year T_T
Indeed. I am lucky myself that I was able to get VIIRemake and Cyberpunk and Avengers with the discount before it was stopped for me a few months ago. I am just happy I caught the DBZ collectors edition soon and the CP2077 collectors edition. Those are the most expensive things game wise for me aside from ps5 next year

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
mine ended last year around this time. I generally don't buy new games anymore anyways, but I would for bigger releases. Haven't stepped foot in a best buy since.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn sorry man, I still have 2 more years I think. So I'll be about to get my PS5 and launch games at a discount.​

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I was under the impression that you could not stack them. It was only 1 more two year window left at the time of them stopping it in 2017 or whatever.

I am surprised folks have it beyond 2019 or 2020.

They did allow stacking but I think cut it off before they announced it ending (otherwise everyone would have stacked multiple ones). I just checked email and mine expires March 2020, so it must have been killed in early 2018.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Expired 6 days ago for me, gonna use the 25% off coupon they gave me on FF7. Nothing else is getting bought day 1 after that, can't ever go back to paying full price for stuff.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The last day I had mine I wound up pre-ordering some Switch games (think one had the $10 gift certificate with preorder deal going) along with using up that extra 25% off coupon they gave out when it was about the expire. So it went out with a bang for me lol.

Good program and unfortunate it ended. Now that I picked up those pre-order games I'm not sure I see myself buying much from Best Buy in the future.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Word to the wise, don't leave it to the last second to buy/order games.

I lost mine earlier this month, and around 10:30 p.m. cst on the last day I went to bestbuy.com to order some games, and it had already expired. I was pretty bummed.

OP
OP
SchuckyDucky

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Expired 6 days ago for me, gonna use the 25% off coupon they gave me on FF7. Nothing else is getting bought day 1 after that, can't ever go back to paying full price for stuff.
The last day I had mine I wound up pre-ordering some Switch games (think one had the $10 gift certificate with preorder deal going) along with using up that extra 25% off coupon they gave out when it was about the expire. So it went out with a bang for me lol.

Good program and unfortunate it ended. Now that I picked up those pre-order games I'm not sure I see myself buying much from Best Buy in the future.
Where would I find this 25% off coupon?