• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I do have a VPN. Someone from Beijing is coming with me and will try to help me set up a bank account and all of that for the first few days, but can I use Taobao even if I'm staying on-campus?

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
At the end of the day, people just want to have a good life, find love, and not die of starvation. There's not going to be some magical spiritual Awakening in 5 months. He or she will be getting up, going to school, and going home just like anywhere else. Except now with more smog.

and censored internet
Oh no, I completely agree. The idea that it's radically different from your daily life is a bit of bs. Your response to him just made me giggle on how blunt it was.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Also give cash to your Chinese friend and have them send you virtual money on wechat. Don't expect your credit cards will work. They don't even take it in Walmart. Pay everything with your phone.
Yep. Credit card no workie.

Get a chinese drivers licence. If you are staying for 5 months I think you can even get one at the airport.
Its much more convenient if you have a car there.
I wouldn't recommend driving cars as Beijing and China in general is a hot mess. Use DiDi to travel short distances and high speed railway to go to other cities.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Well, for 5 months at least! Hello Era, today was my last full day in Canada, and well, I have a mix of emotions. I have both excitement for the future that lies ahead, but I am also extremely anxious about my journey. I will definitely miss my family, and I am worried that my limited Chinese skills won't improve at a pace that satisfies me. However, I guess I must remain positive! I will be staying in Beijing, the capital of China, for 5 whole months!! I get to study Chinese in the land of the Chinese!! I also plan on making a video series on my life there and I will upload it to YouTube. In any case, if there are any other people that live in Beijing I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on life there.
Upload those videos after you've left China or only say nice things about China in them.

Oct 27, 2017
lol

I'm planning to possibly make a move to Beijing for a year soon, so I'd like to know if the toilets are clean.
Just depends on where you are. Newer malls will carry toilet paper and you could eat off the toilets if you wished to. The old places like in old electronic cities. Well. They might actually make you want to throw up.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate joke
Good luck!
Don't pay attention to what happens to stray pets.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Get your vpn ready asap. Also, bring toilet paper and wet wipes with you all the time

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't be serious.
He's not wrong.
As others have mentioned, WeChat Pay is used everywhere. Taxis, restaurants, subway, supermarkets, you name it. Beijing subway is Godly. Be sure to get comfortable with it.

Oh, and be sure to carry a packet of tissues if you expect to be outside for long. Public toilets are common, but toilet paper is not! A pocket-sized hand sanitizer can be useful as well.
I always just paid cash everywhere, but I was paid in cash there so it was available to me. If I had to use an ATM to get money from my US accounts, things might have been different.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Finally you can get back to being a young single girl again.
310.png

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be that expat guy who only hangs out with other expats. Make friends with some English-speaking locals if you want to make the most of the country.

Also eat all the western food you can before you go.

Edit: Oh, five months? Don't stress about the language, it's too hard to get good at it in that timeframe. Just enjoy yourself and stay out of trouble.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, I do have a VPN. Someone from Beijing is coming with me and will try to help me set up a bank account and all of that for the first few days, but can I use Taobao even if I'm staying on-campus?

Yeah everyone can use Taobao. Just make sure you have Alipay account first and have someone help you type your address to receive your package.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
At the end of the day, people just want to have a good life, find love, and not die of starvation. There's not going to be some magical spiritual Awakening in 5 months. He or she will be getting up, going to school, and going home just like anywhere else. Except now with more smog.

and censored internet

Lol I mean if this is your definition of daily life, then sure. But if we're talking about actual food/drink, communication, transportation, music, clothing and any other facet of day-to-day life, then your equivocating is ridiculous and I think you and Zackie know that.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
lol

I'm planning to possibly make a move to Beijing for a year soon, so I'd like to know if the toilets are clean.

Beijing is Beijing. Beijing is basically a developed country in itself. Don't think of it part of China. BJ, SH and the entire Guangdong are basically developed countries, don't assume you will get the Chinese experience in there.

Last edited:

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Drove for 5 years in Beijing and China now (over 60.000km) and never had an accident. You really get used to it quite quickly.

When I was in China 10 years ago, getting a Chinese license involve going to a school for 3 full days. So my option was pay somebody to get the license for me illegally, or drove illegally with my friend's car. I opt for the second one since China use camera on most moving traffic violation and it's easier for me to pay the fine when I get caught than getting a Chinese license. I won't do it now because Chinese traffic cameras have face mapping tech and do use them.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I was in China 10 years ago, getting a Chinese license involve going to a school for 3 full days. So my option was pay somebody to get the license for me illegally, or drove illegally with my friend's car. I opt for the second one since China use camera on most moving traffic violation and it's easier for me to pay the fine when I get caught than getting a Chinese license. I won't do it now because Chinese traffic cameras have face mapping tech and do use them.

Also now it's super easy to get a license. Just need to pass a computer test in English. There is an app with the questions. I studied it for 3 days or so then passed the test first try. The hardest part is parsing the chinglish.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

You just need to translate your countries drivers licence (at a notary office) sit in front of a PC like Vern said, every day you have 3 tries and if you get at least 85 right answers out of 100 you get it sent to you a few days later.

To me the hardest part was that I was learning the questions with an iphone App that had them translated well but the actual test was translated to "Chinese German".

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
You just need to translate your countries drivers licence (at a notary office) sit in front of a PC like Vern said, every day you have 3 tries and if you get at least 85 right answers out of 100 you get it sent to you a few days later.

To me the hardest part was that I was learning the questions with an iphone App that had them translated well but the actual test was translated to "Chinese German".

What is Chinese German?

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I've been in Shanghai from NYC since September. One of the things no one told me is you can not use toilet paper in most toilets, even private residences. If you see a trash bin next to the toilet that more or less means it's not safe to flush. Their plumbing just wasn't built for it. Also, invest in a good bidet for home use :) I found out the hard way after my 16 hour flight - it was not a nice surprise.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been in Shanghai from NYC since September. One of the things no one told me is you can not use toilet paper in most toilets, even private residences. If you see a trash bin next to the toilet that more or less means it's not safe to flush. Their plumbing just wasn't built for it. Also, invest in a good bidet for home use :) I found out the hard way after my 16 hour flight - it was not a nice surprise.

What happened? Got off the plane and clogged the first toilet you saw?

Speaking of toilets and whatnot, I have always had a pretty strong stomach and don't generally get the shits from anything, even the dirtiest grimiest oiliest street food I'm usually good. So I almost never remember to bring toilet paper, cuz I can wait to shit at home or somewhere else with paper. I'm pretty much never in a hurry. But in 7 years in china I've had 2 or 3 experiences where I wished I did have paper cuz something just didn't sit well. It won't hurt to bring paper with you, but unless you have a weak stomach you probably will be perfectly fine without it. Don't get too stressed when people warn you to carry paper all the time. Though I've heard a few horror stories.

Last edited:

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beijing is Beijing. Beijing is basically a developed country in itself. Don't think of it part of China. BJ, SH and the entire Guangdong are basically developed countries, don't assume you will get the Chinese experience in there.
i get what you're saying here but also poor china is not more or less 'authentic' than modern china. there has always been modern city folk and rural farm folk, in china and every other country.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Yup. Went straight from airport to our apartment, signed the lease, and immediately clogged her up. Had to call some local uncle to come with his jimmy stick for like 100 kuai. This was like at 3AM local at this point.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol I grew up in the easten bloc and the toilet flushing thing was the same there. You don't flush toilet paper. Still used to that line of thinking.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
- OP, if you are interested in learning Chinese, try the Lingodeer app if you can.
- As Robinson said, try getting a quality mask to protect yourself from air pollution asap.
- if you're looking for McDonald's in China, be careful because China is known for knockoff restaurants.

Oct 25, 2017
China

Speaking of toilets and whatnot, I have always had a pretty strong stomach and don't generally get the shits from anything, even the dirtiest grimiest oiliest street food I'm usually good. So I almost never remember to bring toilet paper, cuz I can wait to shit at home or somewhere else with paper. I'm pretty much never in a hurry. But in 7 years in china I've had 2 or 3 experiences where I wished I did have paper cuz something just didn't sit well. It won't hurt to bring paper with you, but unless you have a weak stomach you probably will be perfectly fine without it. Don't get too stressed when people warn you to carry paper all the time. Though I've heard a few horror stories.

You didn't get taught to stash the unsused restaunt napkins in your bag? That was one of my first China trips pro advice from the locals.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ask about the Tibet and say Taiwan is a separate country from China, the Chinese government always loves questions .

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You didn't get taught to stash the unsused restaunt napkins in your bag? That was one of my first China trips pro advice from the locals.

Oh yea I take the extra napkins when they make you buy them. I'm just not constantly thinking about where I might have to shit when I'm in public so I don't really think of bring paper when I leave the house.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The knock offs are so obvoius, youd be a real idiot to be taken in by King Burger or JFC. Prime locations will have the real deal, it's not hard to tell.
Also even if they are fake they still sell fried chicken burgers and fries roughly equivalent to what McDonald's sells, it's not like a counterfeit mcd is gonna serve porridge or roast duck or something. I don't really get the concern.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I'm not worried about knockoffs, if the food is fine then there is no problem. I am worreied moreso about food poisoning, be it from anywhere.