• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
My good friend Altezein has been working really hard to complete this project in the last few months. He has basically upscaled thousands of low res textures and assets of Final Fantasy 7 Remake which includes characters, enemies, weapons, environments etc. To be honest, I think this was pretty much needed because even tho FF7 Remake looks great, there are a lot of graphical inconsistencies in certain parts of the game. I have been giving him a lot of feedback as well, finding issues and bad textures

There are some assets and textures that were so low res that he couldn't find a way to fix them but I think he is still finding new ways to improve them so the project might still continue depending on the feedback

Here is small peak of what he has done

Thank you for the hard work!

www.nexusmods.com

Mod unavailable

This mod is not currently available

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
what about the door tho?

edit: 60 gb? holy shit. the game itself is 90 gb already.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Lookin good. I like how the touch-ups on this mod are natural, like how the game should look. I hope Part 2 will use higher quality assets all around since it should be based on PS5. They should have done this work themselves already for the PC port of Part 1.

OP
OP
Gonzito

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
Looks solid but the game has a lot of low geometry stuff in the background (even for a PS4 game) which unfortunately seems like it'd be a lot harder to mod.

already fixed with Intergrade which is the version PC got.

Yes, the geometry is something we have discussed a lot but its extremely difficult to fix without breaking stuff. Maybe it's something that can be fixed in the future, let's see

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Lookin good. I like how the touch-ups on this mod are natural, like how the game should look. I hope Part 2 will use higher quality assets all around since it should be based on PS5. They should have done this work themselves already for the PC port of Part 1.
Yeah its great that they preserved the look. A lot of HD texture mods for other games look really out of place.

UE5's Nanite should massively improve stuff like that for part 2, bigger issue is how they'll handle stuff like foliage which looked terrible in part 1.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
The train graveyard section excited me the most. It always bothered me how the skybox looked and how the pillar didn't even attempt to reach anywhere near the upper plate lol

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Looks nicer. What I'd love though is a mod that makes the NPC's in the slim look more like the NPCs from the original. I really wanted that 80's/90's steampunk look and they just looked off in the remake.

Hateno

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to add that they did a great work with this. Biggest issue with mods is seeing out of place texture work and models that betray the artistic cohesion of the original. The understanding and care put into it is top notch!

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
What is VRAM usage like with this mod? A lot of fan texture packs go a little crazy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I understand how much work this is, and while I think some of the upscaled textures do look improved (some a lot more than others), there's only so much putting lipstick on a pig will achieve. I think the replaced textures look waaay better, but as we've seen with something like the RE4 Project HD, that would take many years to complete.

Still, any improvement is an improvement. Remains to be seen how this would affect performance though.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Looks awesome! The texture quality in FF7-R is really distracting sometimes. Will definitely check this out. Thanks for sharing.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
damn, this is great!

So about the sector plates in the skybox, is there really something wrong there lore-wise? I've seen this mention thrown around but never really paid much attention to it. Has Square said anything on the matter? It's kinda weird that they would get this detail wrong.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
damn, this is great!

So about the sector plates in the skybox, is there really something wrong there lore-wise? I've seen this mention thrown around but never really paid much attention to it. Has Square said anything on the matter? It's kinda weird that they would get this detail wrong.
They messed up the positioning of some of the plates in the sky boxes. Like Sector 6 is canonically missing a plate but in the sky box for certain chapters, the gap is on the opposite side.

Also, when Sector 7's plate falls they messed up the positioning there too lol.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive work. I can't wait to see what the mod scene for this game looks like a few years from now.

I have a question. My biggest graphical nitpick about FF7R is the number of duplicate NPC models in towns. There are times where you can see 3-4 of the exact same model on screen. Is there any way a mod can change this, or would changing one of those models just change all of them?

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through now, guess I should wait for this to be released

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The objects look nice but the textures look like they just ran it through an AI sharpener and called it a day. Hopefully it's a modular install cause I just want the objects.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Very impressive, nice work, and now to wait maybe 2024 to be released on steam

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Very impressive

The sort of overhaul I like, where it's not drastically altering everything but just making better versions of what is there…though not sure I like the overall redesign of the garden though

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Somehow I missed this thread on Sunday! Thanks Gonzito for making it!

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I absolutely love this game and working on this mod has been an exhausting, but very fulfilling ride!
I know most people are probably not as obsessed with tiny details as I am, lol, but I find it very heartwarming to have one's work being kindly appreciated.

To answer some quick questions...
The objects look nice but the textures look like they just ran it through an AI sharpener and called it a day. Hopefully it's a modular install cause I just want the objects.
Yes, that is in fact the soul of the mod: AI upscaling with ESRGAN models! I did make some manual texture work, but it's 95% AI upscaling. The installation is modular, the torrent file allows one to just choose the object paks and call it a day!
Yes, it's a lore thing. In this game, Sector 5 and 6 is an interconnected area which use the same static skybox. Ideally, the skybox should change along the way so Sector 5 has a full plate above, and Sector 6 has a broken plate above (as it's explained during the story that the Plate above Sector 6 had an incident, seen in Before Crisis FF7)
Still, any improvement is an improvement. Remains to be seen how this would affect performance though.
I run this just fine with my GTX 1070. VRAM jumped from 4-5gb to 6-7gb in some busy areas. I'd say an 8gb card is the recommended spec.
Edit: a user reported playing the mod with a 6GB 1060 at 1080p 60fps with no issues too. (The game still has framepacing issues regardless)

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
How does the game run on PC these days?
I know there are very mixed reports but personally the game is almost perfect with dx12 with only disable dsr mod. Nvidia drivers actually fixed the game for me, it was mention in one of their keynote in the dying light 2 game ready driver about Dx12 optimization and I did see a massive difference.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Very impressive, will definitely check this out next year when I have a GPU with more than 4GB VRAM.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I installed this, don't know if I did it right but I see no changes. I'll try a fresh install

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
If the game can use up to 20GB of VRam in 4k, this mod should need a quadro to run without ini Mods.

Looks amazing, will try when I can find a good ini config for me.