• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah reboot TR is great

Really drives it home how much it sucks that team is now stuck making a crap Avengers game for the next few years

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i actually like the trilogy a bunch, they are pretty fun but yeah the story in all of them is pretty bad. the first one has the most stupid and funniest death ive ever seen in a game, and every time i see the cutscene i cant stop laughing. as others have said the second is the best but i preferred the gameplay on the third because there's waaaaay less combat and more puzzles and exploration. that being said lara and the story overall is just awful.

like just duck lmao that may be the slowest hatchet in the history of mankind. apparently cory barlog directed all the cutscenes in this which for some reason makes it even funnier.

Last edited:

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
If you liked the first, you will like the others. I feel the plot in Rise is worse, but the game design overall is an improvement upon an already solid basis. I have not played Shadow, but I hear it has the best gameplay in the series. Glad you're enjoying it, OP! I did as well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Most forum people's negative opinions on games are completely overblown.
The games have lots of valid critiques against them and reasons why people don't like them.

If you liked the first, you will like the others. I feel the plot in Rise is worse, but the gameplay is better. I have not played Shadow, but I hear it has the best gameplay in the series. Glad you're enjoying it, OP! I did as well.
Just saying: I really liked the first and really didn't like the sequels. Others expressing the same ITT.

Sep 29, 2019
Tomb Raider's trilogy reboot is amazing in my opinion. I really don't understand why people hate it so much, i personally always liked it.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider is great, Rise of the TR is even better. Sadly Shadow is nowhere near as good as the others.

Enjoy, they're all great overall.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Its only sin was that it did not set the world on fire but it was an enjoyable experience.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can be negative about a game and still think it is good.

I really dislike the presentation of this game, it just feels like amateur hour compared to other games but still think it is a solid game because I enjoy 3rd person shooters/adventure games.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games are fun but that's it. They are not what I want from Tomb Raider and the story sucks but as games they are really fun.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If only it had more comically brutal death animations

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The first 2 games are great. The third was completely sunk for me by its horrible writing.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Just saying: I really liked the first and really didn't like the sequels. Others expressing the same ITT.
There is such a thing as difference in taste. Who knows, maybe OP will like it? I mean, Rise goes for as cheap as 8 dollars... even if you didn't like it, that isn't bad for that game. I really loved the Tombs in Rise, particularly.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
i actually like the trilogy a bunch, they are pretty fun but yeah the story in all of them is pretty bad. the first one has the most stupid and funniest death ive ever seen in a game, and every time i see the cutscene i cant stop laughing. as others have said the second is the best but i preferred the gameplay on the third because there's waaaaay less combat and more puzzles and exploration. that being said lara and the story overall is just awful.

like just duck lmao that may be the slowest hatchet in the history of mankind. apparently cory barlog directed all the cutscenes in this which for some reason makes it even funnier.

It's one of the reason why I was not happy Cory went back to SMS. I thought he is going to TB God of War lmao. I am glad I was wrong though but I guess it speaks about the people who work at SMS in general.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wish that was true. And at the beginning, it was!

Definitely not now.
It is true, this thread is an example that proves it lol. The vast majority of people here expressing dislike are doing so reasonably.

The issue is that some people in the minority are very vocal and post a lot in threads like these sometimes.

Keep it bookmarked and check later too, pretty confident it will be true if the thread goes on.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
I enjoyed Tomb Raider 2013 but as a life long fan of the series I've grown increasingly annoyed at the direction they've chosen to go.

I still prefer the Core games to everything that has come out since (Tomb Raider Anniversary / Tomb Raider 2013 being the exceptions). I honestly want a return to isolated adventuring with a focus on challenging platforming and puzzles that aren't spelled out for you (get rid of the survival view/detective vision).

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, always try things you're interested in for yourself.

I thought TR2013 was weak, I fell off Rise but I really enjoyed Shadow with the recent 4K60 patch. I still would much, much prefer a TR series based on exploration and detailed platforming mechanics rather than this though. We'll see where they go.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I thought it was great. Sadly had diminishing returns for its sequels

my only real complaint is that there is something excessive and unwholesome about the death scenes. It's not that they're graphic… they just put me off

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is such a thing as difference in taste. Who knows, maybe OP will like it? I mean, Rise goes for as cheap as 8 dollars... even if you didn't like it, that isn't bad for that game. I really loved the Tombs in Rise, particularly.
Of course there is. My point is that it is not a given you will like the sequels if you enjoyed the first.

Worth trying as they are so cheap, though, definitely agree.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Liked the TR trilogy (1>2>>3) (I put 1 in front of 2, because it's literally the same game and progression…)

Compared to Uncharted, the story and acting is reaaaally bad… Finished yesterday Shadow of the TR on PS5… some cinematics/dialogues were stupidly ridiculous. But the gameplay & Tombs are good.

TR should stop with those Uncharted-esque moments and focus on what it does best. We see it's not the same budget on both franchises.

As for the negative opinion: yeah that's videogames forum.
You might want to have a look at "2020 worst game" according to some gamers, TLOU2. I have a complete different opinion about it. :-)

Last edited:

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
The worst part of the series is the story and characterization of Lara. She sucks, but everything else is fun and good.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
1 was great. 2 was good. Heard nothing but bad things about the last one.

Having just played Shadow this year, the story makes you actively dislike Lara and the auto-climbing is very unintuitive and buggy, and there's alot of it.

It's often hard to discern where the next ledge is because they blend in with the environments too well, so it leads to lots of jumping to your death because a ledge that looks like you can climb isn't meanwhile the actual ledge is nigh invisible.

The other issue is that quite often Lara just does not grab on to ledges sometimes. This is very bad when it's suppose to be an auto-climb system. It just doesn't work sometimes at random.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I played through the entire rebooted series on PC they are all great. Story, combat, progression is great in all of them. Totally ignore the haters!!! You can get them all cheap and form your own opinion

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
It's not a bad game. but it came out when everyone was starting to get tired of the uncharted formula, it was a reboot very few wanted, from an origins story very few cared and for what it was... It was a nice game.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Having just played Shadow this year, the story makes you actively dislike Lara and the auto-climbing is very unintuitive and buggy, and there's alot of it.

It's often hard to discern where the next ledge is because they blend in with the environments too well, so it leads to lots of jumping to your death because a ledge that looks like you can climb isn't meanwhile the actual ledge is nigh invisible.

The other issue is that quite often Lara just does not grab on to ledges sometimes. This is very bad when it'ansuppose to be an auto-climb system. It just doesn't work sometimes at random.
Yep agree with all of this.

Dec 2, 2017
This thread has inspired me to give it a replay. I remember really enjoying the ridiculous combat and metroidvania style exploration.

What did you find off putting when you replayed?
I think it looked a lot different than i remembered, it was slightly buggy, didn't run as well, some elements of it are introduced and not really fleshed out, and a whole bunch of the cast aside from Lara aren't fleshed out much at all. Like how Jonah is the only character except Lara that's stuck around the series long term.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It has some good points, and is overall a pretty good game, but it's an absolutely awful Tomb Raider game. I think that's where the strong reactions are stemming from. If it was a new IP I think the overall reception would have been much better.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. I kept hearing it's a good game but had an absolutely miserable time when I actually played it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It has some good points, and is overall a pretty good game, but it's an absolutely awful Tomb Raider game. I think that's where the strong reactions are stemming from. If it was a new IP I think the overall reception would have been much better.

TR2013 was incredibly well received.

jruHFZX.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looked a lot different than i remembered, it was slightly buggy, didn't run as well, some elements of it are introduced and not really fleshed out, and a whole bunch of the cast aside from Lara aren't fleshed out much at all. Like how Jonah is the only character except Lara that's stuck around the series long term.
Ah okay, this is mostly stuff I remember disliking at the time so that bodes well for my replay. Thanks!

What I really enjoyed was the ridiculous OTT combat with thing alike shotgun executions, the light RPG systems, and the exploration.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh i liked it quite a bit. The gameplay, the setting, the graphics and the music were nice.

But the characters, the dialog and the writing ... man what a letdown.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I had a lot of fun with the games. The third one is a work of art, visually. The puzzles and exploration is fun. I set the gun play to easy because I honestly don't care about that in any shooting based game, and I enjoyed them all.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
No game is universally liked by absolutely everybody. You can't just look at a few negative comments and assume that's how everyone feels. Personally I enjoyed playing through all three games, more so than I expected. They're just very derivative and by the numbers. I also found the writing beyond abysmal. I was actually surprised how bad the stories were, but it's a minor complaint really.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
TR2013 was incredibly well received.

jruHFZX.png
Yeh some people are definitely not remembering the reception of 2013.

There was a very loud vocal minority that disliked the change of style. I fully understand, too. Instead of a modernised take of free form exploration which would have been a really fun and unique addition to the AAA industry, we got an Uncharted like game that had very little resemblance to the originals.

...but even some of the most vocal initial detractors came around and enjoyed the game for what it was, and those voices were the minority for sure.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I only played the first two - they are kinda enjoyable but ultimately mediocre Uncharted-Clones on a lower budget without the good writing and characters. If you liked the first game you will at least also like the second one. I didn't play the third game yet. I will when I am in the mood for some shooting, climbing and moaning.
Someone can clarify if I'm wrong but Uncharted 4 apparently cost around $50m and, from what I've read, each of the TR games cost more than that. In fact I think the last game cost double that amount to make.

Regardless of final quality my understanding is that all three were AAA titles.

Oct 27, 2017
TR2013 and Rise are both good games. Shadow is the only part of the trilogy that just isn't all that good, as it gets very boring, very quickly.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The first one is really good or at least it was when it came out. People got hung up on the violence and "not being the same" bullshit. The only thing i didnt like was the end bit... goes a little too far and how collectables break up the game play flow, a problem many games share.