• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I spent 8 years ignoring this series because I heard so much negativity around it. "Uncharted clone", horrible acting story, awful etc. I didn't want to invest my time in something and have it be a mess, so I stayed away from it, especially hearing game 3 was horrible.
Well it was like $3 on PS store so I thought what the heck, I'll give it like an hour cause I have nothing else to do…

I'm now about 10 hours in on the first reboot and I freaking am having a blast. Yes acting and story is cheesy, but the gameplay feels like an actual game instead of a cinema simulator. Like the combat, puzzle solving, progression and the atmosphere is nice and graphics for a 2013 game have not been hard to adjust to.
Its got the DNA of a lot of my favorite old school games but all I ever heard about was horrible (now realizing it was prob due to story and the cheesiness of everything?)

is rest of series awful or am I just dumb for listening to people and ignoring this?

Update #1: Beat Tomb Raider 2013. Excellent ride. Cheesy as all get out but I had a blast. I think I like the first half a little more than the second as the atmosphere in just getting to the island was pretty fun. Combat was good especially with the late game fun kills. Progression was good although I felt the skill tree was kind of lame since I didn't need about 70% of it. Story was serviceable, characters were bad, but gameplay and adventuring was solid, which made me make my initial post. I would give it a very solid 8.5/10

Update #2 Just completed Rise of the Tomb Raider. Enjoyed it a lot as well. Slightly prefer #1 because Rise felt a little bloated and less fresh. Still an 8.5/10 so they are remarkably close.

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent 8 years ignoring this series because I heard so much negativity around it. "Uncharted clone", horrible acting story, awful etc. I didn't want to invest my time in something and have it be a mess, so I stayed away from it, especially hearing game 3 was horrible.
Well it was like $3 on PS store so I thought what the heck, I'll give it like an hour cause I have nothing else to do…

I'm now about 10 hours in on the first reboot and I freaking am having a blast. Yes acting and story is cheesy, but the gameplay feels like an actual game instead of a cinema simulator. Like the combat, puzzle solving, progression and the atmosphere is nice and graphics for a 2013 game have not been hard to adjust to.
Its got the DNA of a lot of my favorite old school games but all I ever heard about was horrible (now realizing it was prob due to story and the cheesiness of everything?)

is rest of series awful or am I just dumb for listening to people and ignoring this?
It's a fun game, and good series

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The next game is amazing too. I came to Rise late because of the negativity (even though it reviewed super well) and it's absolutely incredible.

But the story is SO bad. Like game ruiningly bad. It's so utterly generic.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this series as well. I'm still working on Shadow, but I can confirm that Rise was really good

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
SAAAAAM????!!

(I really like TR2013 despite its weak writing, even more than Uncharted 1 to 3).

(I enjoyed Rise of TR also. More mixed on Shadow though).

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Story is kinda there but the game itself is good, i had fun playing the trilogy.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The first one was great and I'm pretty sure I really enjoyed the sequel. The third game was pretty mediocre for me personally.

If you like Uncharted then there's no reason you wouldn't get some enjoyment from the latest TR games, especially if you can pick them up cheaply.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It's the best of the 3 games, but they are all worth palying imo. I love the light Metroidvania stuff in the first one, but they kind of lose that in the sequels. The story is fucking woeful though. That was the one piece that Uncharted was light years ahead on.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd honestly consider it a great game. The story is a ton of fun for what it is, real charming B-movie vibes. Great setting, with a nice excuse for all sorts of setpieces. Tightly designed world, cool collectibles to chase down, fun combat and traversal abilities to unlock...

I don't think Rise is as good - it's way more bloated and the stuff they add, like crafting, takes away more than it adds. And I never got around to Shadow. But the original is one of the better games of the past decade.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
They are meh games. The third one is just terrible though. Like they somehow broke the aiming in that game. And Lara is insufferable in all of them. Moaning and bitching while killing thousands. At least Drake is cracking jokes while murdering thousands. Way more entertaining.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't listen to Era's vacuum chamber thoughts on almost anything lol. Just play the stuff you're interested in. TR reboot trilogy are all amazing games. Peaks with Rise, but all three are a ton of fun

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I only played the first two - they are kinda enjoyable but ultimately mediocre Uncharted-Clones on a lower budget without the good writing and characters. If you liked the first game you will at least also like the second one. I didn't play the third game yet. I will when I am in the mood for some shooting, climbing and moaning.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I've been replaying both games before jumping into SoTTR for the first time, and the reboot is really good. Liked it back then and like it now. Rise is so good too, you're not going to be dissapointed.

I love how basically "Lara is Daniel Craig's 007" to "Drake is Pierce Brosnan's 007", even though Uncharted 4 is my favorite of the bunch.

Never take too seriously either intense criticism or praise for games in internet forums

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Never...ever.... listen to ERA. The hot takes here could easily melt a burning sun.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
The first one is quite good but still largely derivative especially for when it was released. Even though it's good, the complaints about its story/characters, lack of puzzles, and being an Uncharted clone are still 100% accurate.

Unfortunately the reboot trilogy only gets worse with each game. The first one lacks some of the classic TR essentials but still feels really inspired and has a firey, engaging tone to it. Rise addresses a lot of gameplay complaints but the story gets way worse then TR2013 and tone feels sufficiently sanded down. Shadow adds a lot more puzzles but ultimately feels like a picking-up-garbage simulator with one of the worst stories in a AAA game I can recall this gen.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
My issue with that Tomb Raider is that the tombs are an afterthought. It's like 90% generic shooter, 10% lame tombs.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I had fun with it, also in the same camp of "Wait, people did not like this?". Rise was great as well.

Mar 30, 2019
I find them an improvement over Legends, Underworld, etc. The originals are still there when I want to replay 'em, so this trilogy (especially Shadow) was good.

I still think they haven't hit why the originals were fun in their style, but I hold a candle of hope.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who played this game 4 months ago (God Bless FPS Boost on the SERIES X) I don't understand all this criticism against Lara for being a cold blooded killer considering than she was trapped in a live or die island and her first kill
was against someone who was going to rape her

The complaints I recall hearing back in the day were that this game was fluctuating between Lara regretting killing people and her murdering everyone in front of her, but in reality the first only happens like once, and then she keeps going because she has no other choice(which is fine by me)

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Shadow. Rise is pretty decent, although outlasts its welcome I would say. Has a similar hub world structure which I think works pretty well. It's just not a very interesting game I guess; set-pieces are quite flat, the writing is really awful and it feels a few years behind the best in the genre. I liked TR2013 as well, and while I think Rise is worth playing it doesn't really progress much in terms of structure or gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
The 2013 game is great.
Rise is excellent.
Shadow has sone of the best tombs and is an absolutely beautiful game graphically.

They all have some flaws, especially the story in Shadow, but they're never less than good games.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
2013 feels too much cinetamic though. Rise was kind of improvement but still meh and has too much shooting. Shadow is great though, as long as you don't mind the nonsense story.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Only played TR2013 out of the reboot trilogy.
The gameplay is decent, but the story and especially characters are just embarrassing.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
These are great games, ruined by horrible writting, characters, story and events.

Just enjoy the level design and exploration, mute sound and skip cinematics.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Have yet to play much of the sequels, but yeah, the first game in the reboot trilogy was fantastic. Much more up my alley than Uncharted, which was always too cinematic for my tastes.

And I actually liked its story tbh.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I only played the first two - they are kinda enjoyable but ultimately mediocre Uncharted-Clones on a lower budget without the good writing and characters. If you liked the first game you will at least also like the second one. I didn't play the third game yet. I will when I am in the mood for some shooting, climbing and moaning.
I I am pretty sure TB games were more expensive then any of the Uncharted games but anyone free to correct me.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great series, although by the last one I think the formula had run it's course. I think I liked the second one best if I am remembering correctly. The third one had it's moments and is still a fun play through.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People on the internet love to partake in performative extreme negativity. Era is no exception here. That said, I dislike the trilogy for the most part. If people read my posts about the games and their take away was that they wouldn't like them either, that's kinda on them.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017

I feel the same way about the first one.

It's the rest of the series that suck.

Did you also finish this first game full of anticipation for where the sequel could go? Well, just know that they fucked it all up and had no idea where to take her character, so for all three games in this trilogy, it was all about 'becoming Tomb Raider' and 'her daddy issues' plus uninspired Ubisoft-esque stuffing of content. By the third game, you end up hating the trilogy eventhough you liked the first one a lot.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed the first game and it's sequel. I've not finished the 3rd. You could probably draw a direct correlation between the 2nd one being Xbox exclusive for a year as to how the franchise is viewed on here.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I liked 2013 quite much for its time, disliked Rise, thought Shadow is fine.

It's an ok series in my books but had a lot more potential.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The first game only starts out like uncharted, the set pieces and all, but its different enough not to feel like an uncharted game. The first game in the reboot is my favorite, the other 2 just dont do it for me, though rise is a fun game to play, if you can get past the terrible story and characters.

And yeah I wouldn't take anyone's opinion on games too seriously, if a game looks like something that may interest you, then you should give it a try.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good reboot [albeit with a weak characters], I quite liked it after finishing it.

Sadly, both sequels were worse.