• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The huge issue with the stories and writing of the reboots, more so Rise and Shadow, were the inconsistencies. They just didn't know what they wanted to do with her character. In SotTR, there is of course the Rambo scene, but then she immediately goes to cry into Jonah's arms right after.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the character look of the new trilogy but why on earth would they anchor themselves to that trilogy. I suppose this doesn't bode well for the next instalment of the game series.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix needs to drop Beastar and give Studio orange all the money in the world to fund more Houseki no Kuni. Still the best Cg anime in recent times
Word, but don't drop Beastars because of it!

Anyway, Tomb Raider anime is sure something. If it's some low budget CG one instant pass

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the character look of the new trilogy but why on earth would they anchor themselves to that trilogy. I suppose this doesn't bode well for the next instalment of the game series.
They can go anywhere with the story after Shadow of the Tomb Raider, its not much of an anchor or limit anymore. The whole shadowy organization bullshit that dealt with her father, and the plots with her parents, is now passed.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
They can go anywhere with the story after Shadow of the Tomb Raider, its not much of an anchor or limit anymore. The whole shadowy organization bullshit that dealt with her father, and the plots with her parents, is now passed.

I think the issue that I, and the others, have with using the reboot trilogy as a starting point is maybe tonal. To a degree, it had "grittier" more in-your face horror trappings, and the supernatural was a bit downplayed--like I'm tripping over how to adequately describeit, because its not absent by any stretch, or even hidden.

Like maybe 2/3 of the way through 2013 or Rise or Shadow, you encounter immortal/relict/preternatural warrior peoples. You're scarcely a quarter through the original game and are fighting a T. Rex, and things go up from there. In Legend, you very quickly see a magic stone and have a flashback of your college class being eaten by a shadow monster. Its so much more. Its more in your face, and bigger and bolder. Its... I guess survival horror versus ridiculous pulp.

Plus, the survivor trilogy has always been Lara is stuck, here. Rise and Shadow have unconnected prologues, but then you go from one interconnected area to the next. Older Tomb Raider games were globetrotting adventures all around the world. The Andes to Greece to Egypt to Atlantis. A hidden tomb underneath the Great Wall of China, and a quest from Venice to a sunken ocean liner to Tibet to get the key to it. Peru to Africa to Tokyo to the tomb of King Arthur. As opposed to the old gulag right next to the ancient Byzantine city, or an impoverished South American town to the secret hidden Mayan village next door, to the Spanish mission a block away (exaggerated, yes, but thats kinda what it felt like).

Like, the anime could in fact, be a grand high adventure connected to the Survivor timeline by ignoring the tone it went for. But the chances of it being so are higher if they just did their own universe.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I remember in the original games she had her own ambitions that her parents didn't approve of so she did her own thing.
Yeah, they disowned her after she refused an arranged marriage and became an adventurer; she also inherited the manor from her aunt instead of her parents. Dan Jurgens altered the relationship with her parents (leaving some elements intact like the plane crash and Lara having a fiancé) for his Tomb Raider comic series in '99, and then the 2001 Tomb Raider film basically made it the de facto backstory of Lara going forward.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A character with confidence who we don't have to see forced through pointless drama and torture.

Seriously people like old Lara for more then boobs and I hate that anytime someone says "you just want that because fanservice."

No actually pay attention please.
I always hate it when people who didn't even play the original series come and talk about something they didn't know about. I can understand if they only saw the marketing of the orignal games (because they sure as hell were gross as hell) but Lara herself had a way better personality and writing.
Yeah, they disowned her after she refused an arranged marriage and became an adventurer; she also inherited the manor from her aunt instead of her parents. Dan Jurgens altered the relationship with her parents (leaving some elements intact like the plane crash and Lara having a fiancé) for his Tomb Raider comic series in '99, and then the 2001 Tomb Raider film basically made it the de facto backstory of Lara going forward.
God I wish we would get this back story again.

It isn't even that hard to do well. Like I said before, the less sexualized Lara with muscles design combined with the old Lara personality, braids and akimbo pistols would have been perfect.

Apr 27, 2020
Netflix "Anime"

E08S02C042AA_V002.jpg

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue that I, and the others, have with using the reboot trilogy as a starting point is maybe tonal. To a degree, it had "grittier" more in-your face horror trappings, and the supernatural was a bit downplayed--like I'm tripping over how to adequately describeit, because its not absent by any stretch, or even hidden.

Like maybe 2/3 of the way through 2013 or Rise or Shadow, you encounter immortal/relict/preternatural warrior peoples. You're scarcely a quarter through the original game and are fighting a T. Rex, and things go up from there. In Legend, you very quickly see a magic stone and have a flashback of your college class being eaten by a shadow monster. Its so much more. Its more in your face, and bigger and bolder. Its... I guess survival horror versus ridiculous pulp.

Plus, the survivor trilogy has always been Lara is stuck, here. Rise and Shadow have unconnected prologues, but then you go from one interconnected area to the next. Older Tomb Raider games were globetrotting adventures all around the world. The Andes to Greece to Egypt to Atlantis. A hidden tomb underneath the Great Wall of China, and a quest from Venice to a sunken ocean liner to Tibet to get the key to it. Peru to Africa to Tokyo to the tomb of King Arthur. As opposed to the old gulag right next to the ancient Byzantine city, or an impoverished South American town to the secret hidden Mayan village next door, to the Spanish mission a block away (exaggerated, yes, but thats kinda what it felt like).

Like, the anime could in fact, be a grand high adventure connected to the Survivor timeline by ignoring the tone it went for. But the chances of it being so are higher if they just did their own universe.

I can see how people would be more excited about the return of the larger-than-life OG Lara and her escapades, she still feels like the poster child despite the reboot. The new Lara has been boring, but they can still play her up as a Rambo in a ridiculous survival setting. If they can stop pushing Lara as relatable and focus on her being an action hero, it might just be entertaining.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
This means if there's a new game, it won't follow up the reboot story or be placed after the events in the anime series.

Can we expect a new game (if any) to be released around the same time as the anime?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I really, really, really hope they do not bring back Camilla Luddington. I couldn't ever appreciate her voice acting.

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in this franchise after the latest game in the reboot trilogy... and especially if this series is based on that reboot trilogy after the latest game. Ugh.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This means if there's a new game, it won't follow up the reboot story or be placed after the events in the anime series.

Can we expect a new game (if any) to be released around the same time as the anime?

Doesn't mean that at all. There's a book and comic series that the games studiously ignore, no reason they can't ignore the anime too.

Of course they could still reboot the series yet again, but I think it's more likely that they will just have a more experienced Lara going on adventures unrelated to Trinity or any of the plot points from the recent trilogy.

Anyway, the development studios are all in on Avengers atm, we'll have to wait to see what happens there.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't really know about that "Travelling the world and protecting people" bit. Like what even is Tomb raider at this point

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

I don't really know about that "Travelling the world and protecting people" bit. Like what even is Tomb raider at this point

This actually kindles my interest a little. A "road trip around the world" sounds dumb, but distilling the classic games, you can call the road trips around the world (to steal, rather than protect people, but still).

Also, Zip wasn't exactly the best character in Legend/Underworld, but hey, he is a character from before the reboot, so hopefully they ad more stuff from before then. Like a dinosaur.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a stream recently (as part of their year long celebration) they've also said that, timeline wise, it's set to bridge the gap between Shadow and TR1.

Seems like it's probably gonna be their first step towards untangling and unifying the mess that is 3 different TR timelines like they said they would for the next game.

Super excited for all that stuff.