• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I see where you are coming from, with Game Pass, if you have hundreds of games that does get a bit crazy.

They technically have that though, it's just I side the my Games and Apps list. It's still only one click away. In my case, since I have like 300 games installed, it would get a bit crazy to have that list there, so I'm fine as is, but it would be cool to have like a top 40 installed games list, thatdynamically generates bases on your preference (newest, most played etc.).

On Series X, they could probably let you just turn that whole list to the front page if they so chose. Perhaps it should be an option. Who knows, maybe it is already but it's hidden?
Yeah, that's exactly it, I've got gamepass so I'm constantly installing and uninstalling games, so there's just no easy way to manage a list like that. With MS pushing GP, I'm just wanting them to improve the home screen, so I can just go straight into playing what I've installed.

And if the 'installed game' group size goes over the maximum length group size, they could add a "..." button that just takes you to 'My Apps and Games' or whatever it's called.

It just annoys me when I see people praising the Xbox GUI, because it's a games launcher, that's it's entire reason for being, but I don't think that launching a game is the focus of the UI.

Edit: When you see people say that the Xbox OS is awful, this is the reason, people just want a list. I'm not joking, this is entirely the reason.

Last edited:

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the new fluent design of the unreleased dashboard update.

I just hope it runs better.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The Xbox One launched with a totally new (at the time) and totally different (from what we have now) dashboard. It was barely functional compared to the perfectly serviceable Xbox 360 interface at the time.

If they think iterating on what they have now is better than starting completely fresh for a new generation I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Totally,
But I think this is more than an interaction

I am assuming this is more like going from Windows 10 to Windows 11. It seems like they've built a new UI, likely kept a reasonable amount of legacy features, but also likely completely redesigned and rewrote a large chunk of it.

The fact that Xbox One is also getting this update shouldn't be looked at like a bad thing, it's actually great. If they optimize it to work on X1, it will run like a dream on XSX

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the Xbox UI for most of this generation, but as soon as this current form hit I fell in love with it. It's clean and snappy on my One X and that's all I really need. Good choice sticking with works.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Have you seen it perform yet?
With every generation we have come to expect certain things. A new dashboard has always been one of those things. Its part of what we pay for and what we'd like to see from the new console. I mean Jesus, no mention of even a new font...atleast some new colors?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I want it to look clean and smooth like this for example:

ps5_UI_concept_4.png

But that will never happen.

That looks slick, but functionally, if it's just a limited horizontal list of games, and a section with all your installed games like PS4, I think that's functionally really poor (unless you onlt have a small amout of games). I dislike the PS4 and switch style because you only have like 10 games easily accessible, while on my X1, I have like 8 completely customized pages of games easily accessed below.

Have you tried the current X1 dashboard? If they had a nice front page like this, but you could access all the customizable lists by simply pressing down on the current Xbox UI, that could be awesome.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
With every generation we have come to expect certain things. A new dashboard has always been one of those things. Its part of what we pay for and what we'd like to see from the new console. I mean Jesus, no mention of even a new font...atleast some new colors?

There is a huge difference between old gen console dashboards and current X86 ones. We don't need to start fresh now.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
They literally update the dashboard every month with new features. This is not the same dashboard from 2013. Or 2015. Or 2017. Or 2019.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
microsoft really going in hard on the "we don't believe in generations" thing 🥴

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

We are 100% getting changes and improvements. But Microsoft is going to update the Xbox One dashboard as well, carry over features, and give the Xbox Series X new features (like multi-resume).

The new update to the store was posted in the OP, its very different.

This article was also posted on the front page:

www.gamespot.com

Xbox Series X Should Be Getting A Better Dashboard

While specifics are coming later, Xbox director of PM assured that a revamped dashboard is coming with Xbox Series X.

He further emphasized that user feedback is what's going to drive major dashboard changes, so you likely won't be caught off-guard by drastic changes that come from left-field. While the Series X will mean a revamped UI, refinements are also in line for Xbox One at the same time. "The Experiences team is working extremely hard to make sure that we have a great day one experience both on Xbox Series X as well as on previous generations," he told us.

Microsoft isn't dumping the Xbox One asap. As they look to update the Series X UI, why wouldn't they update the Xbox One UI also?

On top of that you know Microsoft is going to keep changing it and improving it. They've been doing that with the Dashboard since the 360. You won't get a new UI just once this gen, it'll keep updating.

I think they're much more interested in Gamepass than a new console. Recycling the dash, showcase cross gen games. They don't seem real excited about a new generation.

If anything, updating the UI for two consoles is more work than just leaving the old one behind and moving forward. It shows Microsoft cares. Ecosystem means a lot to them. Its why they put so much work into backwards compatibility as well.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is a huge difference between old gen console dashboards and current X86 ones. We don't need to start fresh now.
I understand that.. but I'm sure we will see a new PS dashboard. So whats the harm with wanting a new Xbox dashboard for a new console? Like I said its something (I) expect with a new system generation.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, why is it a bad thing that the new dash isn't being locked behind the new generation? Is this the same as the concern over XGS supporting existing consoles for a while?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I understand that.. but I'm sure we will see a new PS dashboard. So whats the harm with wanting a new Xbox dashboard for a new console? Like I said its something to expect with a new system generation.

You will get changes here and there (look at the post above detailing new store + multi resume).

The difference between Sony and MS is that Sony were happy with their UI and didn't change it like MS this gen (they re-did it three times!). Same thing happened during the 360/PS3 gen too.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, that's exactly it, I've got gamepass so I'm constantly installing and uninstalling games, so there's just no easy way to manage a list like that. With MS pushing GP, I'm just wanting them to improve the home screen, so I can just go straight into playing what I've installed.

And if the 'installed game' group size goes over the maximum length group size, they could add a "..." button that just takes you to 'My Apps and Games' or whatever it's called.

It just annoys me when I see people praising the Xbox GUI, because it's a games launcher, that's it's entire reason for being, but I don't think that launching a game is the focus of the UI.

Edit: When you see people say that the Xbox OS is awful, this is the reason, people just want a list. I'm not joking, this is entirely the reason.
There is a list tough, you just click my games and apps on the home screen or press the Xbox button and your most recent games are in the side bar. Launching a game is the fastest thing to do in the OS. The game you're playing is the very first thing highlighted when you start the console. I'm confused how playing games doesn't seem the focus. Just because the default screen isn't a list?

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing they need to do right now is just update the Store experience, which is what they're currently working on. Dashboard is fine as it is. It's always going to be updated in the future anyway.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That next gen feel...
When I buy a new system I don't wanna be meet with he same homescreen.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I am obsessed with collecting Themes on PlayStation 4, and I use it less than PC or Xbox. The dynamic background, the music, the icons - a Theme is perfect for letting me set the tone for how I want to customize my console.
I downloaded an app for Xbox One that lets me change the background image, but the UI takes up a horrendous amount of the screen, and there is no 'Theme' music.

I really hoped Xbox would have taken a page out of PlayStation's book and brought Themes over to Series X. ....Imagine a true Halo 'Theme' greeting the player every time they boot up an Xbox console. The rotating images, the icons, the music. :(

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I am obsessed with collecting Themes on PlayStation 4, and I use it less than PC or Xbox. The dynamic background, the music, the icons - a Theme is perfect for letting me set the tone for how I want to customize my console.
I downloaded an app for Xbox One that lets me change the background image, but the UI takes up a horrendous amount of the screen, and there is no 'Theme' music.

I really hoped Xbox would have taken a page out of PlayStation's book and brought Themes over to Series X. ....Imagine a true Halo 'Theme' greeting the player every time they boot up an Xbox console. The rotating images, the icons, the music. :(
This doesn't mean the team couldn't add a themes feature.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
There is a list tough, you just click my games and apps on the home screen or press the Xbox button and your most recent games are in the side bar. Launching a game is the fastest thing to do in the OS. The game you're playing is the very first thing highlighted when you start the console. I'm confused how playing games doesn't seem the focus. Just because the default screen isn't a list?
Launching the last game you played is the fastest thing you can do, launching the game you want to play can be quite a few button presses, plus waiting for the the 'My Games and Apps' app to load, then scroll down to the games section, then you can launch the game.

I don't understand why people think it's such a weird idea to just put installed games on the home screen of a games console. Is it so important to have the latest news from Major Nelson or whatever else is cluttering up the home screen.

Hell, the 'My Games and Apps' app would probably be a better home page for a games console. You know, because people want to launch their games and apps.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Gorgeous.

The most enjoyable aspect of the Xbox dashboard, and in particular the store, is how games are displayed. Slick, and easy. Whereas on the PlayStation Store, the laggy navigation and UI seem outdated. Getting to watch trailers, for instance, is a pain.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
In no way does this mean the team couldn't add a themes feature.
Could they down the road? Sure.
But in watching Jez's video, the upcoming dashboard retains one of the main issues of the existing dashboard: everything is cluttered, so any background image gets obscured by so many different 'things' to click on. That is a choice Microsoft continues to make - very little decorative customization for the player. Functionality, functionality, functionality - but no individuality.

Perhaps down the road, the player could optionally opt-in to have the first tab they see not be "Featured," "Store," "Game Pass," "Community,' etc - but instead the first tab could be the paid 'Theme' area where there is just a rotating image and a musical composition.
But that would mean handing over some of the functionality reins to the player and also giving up some of that sweet, sweet first tab ad space.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
This is why generational leaps are so exciting. You get a step change improvement. Although I think MS's approach is longer term the right strategy it does make for less Big Bang exciting moments.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox Dashboard is far more intuitive to me for how I use the platform. Remembering apps and not just games that I last used and pinning groups in the overlay is *chef's kiss*

I really hope PS5 takes some cues from Microsoft in that department. The TV app folder is atrocious and makes me want to chuck my PS4 out the window.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
As it should be - the dash right now is in a good place.

We've had generations of OS resets causing loss of features and bugs galore. 360/PS3 > XB1/PS4 was a shitshow of lost features and regression.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
I always hated when new UI's had less features than the older console's. I love that we won't lose features between the two and we will get more.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
As it should be - the dash right now is in a good place.

We've had generations of OS resets causing loss of features and bugs galore. 360/PS3 > XB1/PS4 was a shitshow of lost features and regression.
Was about to post this yes. Alot of times we go back with features.
Still there will be some changes to get it in line with the Xbox app, xCloud and Gamebar design but not like a overhaul of everything.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It does make sense from Xbox perspective.
XSX and Lockhart are just new entries into Xbox line (S, One, One X), not reinventing the wheel.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I want it to look clean and smooth like this for example:

ps5_UI_concept_4.png

But that will never happen.
Looks like a Kodi skin. And looks fine but also has the same issue as PS4's UI in that it's inefficient having to scroll horizontally to find a game, when you have a large library, even when split on to folders. Much prefer a grid layout with customisable groups like the more recent Xbox UI's have.

The new Xbox UI that released a month or so ago is really good from a functional point of view, quick to find want you need and really snappy. It just doesn't look very fancy aesthetically and doesn't have themes etc.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I like the idea that a shiny new console comes with a shiny new UI. I can't wait to see how PS5 OS will look like (especially since I really like how PS4 Software looks). I have little experience with Xbox, so if I get the Series X, it will be new to me either way, but this does sound a bit disappointing. It is practical and in line with Microsoft strategy, but it's also a bit boring. I like generational shifts. I like consoles as consoles, I don't want mini PCs with PC way of doing things (if you like that, there is the actual PC with all the PC benefits).

So, a bit disappointing. Not a big deal, but still - Microsoft seems to be intent on taking the joy out of this next generation. They are smart people, I'm sure this is a good strategy for them, but I have to say that I think Sony is doing things in a more exciting way, at least so far.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking to see if I could get a higher res version of the blades and look at this:

dribbble.com

XBOX 360 Blades + XBOX One Dashboard Mashup

XBOX 360 Blades + XBOX One Dashboard Mashup designed by Jayaprasad Mohanan. Connect with them on Dribbble; the global community for designers and creative professionals.

dribbble-xbox.png

haha I kinda like it?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Every generation, we get a new dashboard on our consoles and a lot of the features we had available on our previous console are missing. Then there is a waiting game, sometimes for years to get them all back.

This will be the first time I can think of this is not going to happen.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Jesus, they really are digging their own grave again aren't they?

With the Xbox One, X, Series S and Series X on the market later this year with now also all dashboards looking the same, that will simply be too much for the market, as if the consoles alone aren't already too much and too confusing for the casual folks, that will shit the bricks so hard and not work for the wide audience, I guarantee that.

Which is a f'n shame cause their intentions are amazing with BC, smart delivery, probably the strongest hardware again, all these bought studios and game pass.
But this whole console chaos, if you look at it as a whole from the eyes of the general market, can destroy this all with the snap of a finger.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Consoles are the odd one out.

You don't get a new UI when you buy a phone, PC, tablet etc. if you stay on the same platform.
Ah I understand, yeah but that's kind of a fun thing about consoles, it's exciting. I know it's all about the games really but just booting up the console and having exactly the same as what you had previously when you've splashed 500 or whatever on it is a bummer.
That's also gonna be true for parents buying their kids a new console at Christmas.. "wait is this the new console or the old one?"

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I understand, yeah but that's kind of a fun thing about consoles, it's exciting. I know it's all about the games really but just booting up the console and having exactly the same as what you had previously when you've splashed 500 or whatever on it is a bummer.
That's also gonna be true for parents buying their kids a new console at Christmas.. "wait is this the new console or the old one?"
They cant see the UI when they are in the store. :P
Also there will be some redesign. It will look more like the Xbox app, xCloud etc. To get it in line with that.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Change for the sake of change is completely unnecessary.

Improve and iterate. Don't just throw a design out the window because you've got a new box.

Being on an SSD will improve performance immensely, which is still one of the biggest issues with XO UI. That and having native 4K UI support because the fonts and general feel of the UI is still a bit eh on One X on a big TV for that.