• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
xPuck.

Like an Xfinity Flex or Roku.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If the xPuck is basically an Xbox in terms of the OS (has support for all the same features like achievements, video streaming services like Netflix, parties, etc., as the Xbox OS) and it just cloud streams any games you play, I think it could be pretty legit.

Now I just wonder how those unit sales for Xbox Series consoles are going to look like 😅

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Planning for a holiday release this year maybe?
Would expect it to be much easier to produce than a console, and if it offers series X gameplay could be a winner

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
If the xPuck is basically an Xbox in terms of the OS (has support for all the same features like achievements, video streaming services like Netflix, parties, etc., as the Xbox OS) and it just cloud streams any games you play, I think it could be pretty legit.

I'd 100% buy one of these to keep at my folks place

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
This is what I am expecting/hoping for. I actually think it'll be arm-based and the BC team moved to get the Xbox OS running on ARM instead of x86 for it. That's what I imagined in my head anyway

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Keen to have an Android tv app. Would also like them to start offering 4K streams for tv devices.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Would be all over this, setup on the bedroom TV for home use and take it with us when we travel.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still surprised that they are taking so long with their puck and TV (box) apps.
Using the Nvidia Shield TV fan made app isn't a good experience (still better than sideloading Android phone app).

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Being able to play every game I own is my biggest wish for xcloud. It's nice having it for GP stuff, but being able to pull out my phone or laptop and pick up playing any game I own is such a cool idea (aside from the issue that xcloud has never ran smoothly for me).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ability to play all the games I own via the cloud is going to be fucking amazing.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think this will be very big for them, going to give them A LOT of mind share.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the preference for most people is to be able to play using existing boxes/sticks like Roku, Apple TV, Fire Stick, etc. Wouldn't this, essentially lock you into their storefront?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think the preference for most people is to be able to play using existing boxes/sticks like Roku, Apple TV, Fire Stick, etc. Wouldn't this, essentially lock you into their storefront?
It depends. I think you should consider the xPuck to just be a cheaper Xbox Series console. I suspect it'll have all the same features (minus stuff like Quick Resume) as an Xbox console whereas the android TV apps will probably just be streaming games.

Not to mention, I suspect the xPuck will support Xbox's controller protocol which should give it better connection and latency. The Xbox controller's bluetooth is pretty bad.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Being able to play every game I own is my biggest wish for xcloud. It's nice having it for GP stuff, but being able to pull out my phone or laptop and pick up playing any game I own is such a cool idea (aside from the issue that xcloud has never ran smoothly for me).
This would be huge if true.
Wonder if that includes back compat games and original Xbox games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
XCloud Streaming is just so bad. Like the only thing I can see it being useful for is turn-based games - ANYTHING that requires response time or precision is a lost cause.

Like I lost the tutorial race in Forza Horizon 5 when I tried to test it out on XCloud. It's never going to catch on as long as shitty ISP monopolies (Comcast, etc) are the norm in the territories where it's available.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This would be huge if true.
Wonder if that includes back compat games and original Xbox games.
That was the plan but last we heard they still have licensing issues with older games because streaming was never planned when they were made. We know they were adding streaming rights into newer contracts but I am sure some of the bigger companies don't want to sign those over for free.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
and even Microsoft's original plan to let you play all Xbox games you own through the cloud

This would be absolutely monster if it happened. Assuming it's every game in your library, that's a crazy ambitious offering that would be hard to compete with outside of Sony or Valve really stepping up in the game streaming space.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Puck instead of stick increases the likelihood of there being an Ethernet port on this thing, IMO.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
XCloud Streaming is just so bad. Like the only thing I can see it being useful for is turn-based games - ANYTHING that requires response time or precision is a lost cause.

Like I lost the tutorial race in Forza Horizon 5 when I tried to test it out on XCloud. It's never going to catch on as long as shitty ISP monopolies (Comcast, etc) are the norm in the territories where it's available.

I've been playing FH5 solely via xCloud on my laptop (with an ethernet cable though). Has been a pretty good experience so far.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Puck instead of stick increases the likelihood of there being an Ethernet port on this thing, IMO.
There has to be one! Though IDK if it'll be on the actual unit rather the power cable similar to the Chromecast.

450_1000.png

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Xcloud Game Pass streaming is the future, and they know it and have a chance of getting into millions of homes with reasonable subs.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this was always the big one to me, if they really want to be the Netflix of gaming.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Works well for me, you might be too far from a data center plus some connection issues.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing FH5 solely via xCloud on my laptop (with an ethernet cable though). Has been a pretty good experience so far.

For me I would regularly spin out due to the connection not reading my inputs properly, or the lag would desync me by six or seven seconds during a race and when my connection caught up, I'd be slammed into a wall or a tree. Even using the rewind function wasn't that helpful.

Works well for me, you might be too far from a data center plus some connection issues.

I live 30 miles outside of Boston. There's no excuse for the connection being that bad. It's not like I live in the middle of the woods in North Dakota.

Levitates

Apr 9, 2020
Brazil

It works so great for me that I was capable of getting MVP on a Halo 5 match.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

To give a different experience, I played pretty much the entirety of last months playlist seasonal content via streaming, including the races you had to win against unbeatable AI to clear. Felt like I was playing natively with a tiny bit of extra display lag.

Cloud streaming is always going to have hundreds of variables and work better from some than others. If your home network is good for it (and it's easy enough to test of it is - especially with actual free use without a sub like the Fortnite stuff that launched today) then xCloud is totally viable for normal gameplay. If it's not (I've tried to play in plenty of hotels etc where it's essentially non-functional) then it's going to be a bad time.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
For me I would regularly spin out due to the connection not reading my inputs properly, or the lag would desync me by six or seven seconds during a race and when my connection caught up, I'd be slammed into a wall or a tree. Even using the rewind function wasn't that helpful.

I live 30 miles outside of Boston. There's no excuse for the connection being that bad. It's not like I live in the middle of the woods in North Dakota.
They are still lots that can affect it. Wired vs wifi, your ISP, etc.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

On 5G it has been hit and miss for me. But on ethernet my experience has been great the past months. Obviously the experience is gonna differ for everyone. I live in a small village in The Netherlands.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To give a different experience, I played pretty much the entirety of last months playlist seasonal content via streaming, including the races you had to win against unbeatable AI to clear. Felt like I was playing natively with a tiny bit of extra display lag.

Cloud streaming is always going to have hundreds of variables and work better from some than others. If your home network is good for it (and it's easy enough to test of it is - especially with actual free use without a sub like the Fortnite stuff that launched today) then xCloud is totally viable for normal gameplay. If it's not (I've tried to play in plenty of hotels etc where it's essentially non-functional) then it's going to be a bad time.

I've compared it to playing the game natively online, and the experience in cloud streaming is literally night and day. Every single aspect of the experience was fundamentally broken when playing it in streaming, whereas I had zero lag issues playing online with a native copy.

When I tried to stream Halo ODST out of the Master Chief Collection, I couldn't even get through the opening dropship cutscene without the video becoming so artifacted I couldn't even make out faces anymore. By the time I got to gameplay I was dealing with 3 seconds of consistent input lag and any time the screen needed to update a lot (for example, rotating the camera left or right) the visuals would become a garbled, unreadable mess for five to ten seconds before my connection "caught up".

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

The experience really varies, I've found. On my data, I get crazy artifacting, but at home WiFi (5g) I was able to play 3 hours of sea of thieves without issue.

Works really damn well on my console too.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Now just fix the Xbox PC app and disconnect it from windows/put it on Steam and you've got a stew going.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
4k streaming please. Stadia still had the best quality for me and it would be great if they could hit that quality level with Xcloud.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I've compared it to playing the game natively online, and the experience in cloud streaming is literally night and day. Every single aspect of the experience was fundamentally broken when playing it in streaming, whereas I had zero lag issues playing online with a native copy.

When I tried to stream Halo ODST out of the Master Chief Collection, I couldn't even get through the opening dropship cutscene without the video becoming so artifacted I couldn't even make out faces anymore. By the time I got to gameplay I was dealing with 3 seconds of consistent input lag and any time the screen needed to update a lot (for example, rotating the camera left or right) the visuals would become a garbled, unreadable mess for five to ten seconds before my connection "caught up".
This really sounds like an issue with your network connection.

Were you ever able to try stadia?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Another reason why this Fortnite news is great. Gives people an option to try out streaming before buying anything or subscribing to something.

Tabasco Cat

May 25, 2021

When I tried to stream Halo ODST out of the Master Chief Collection, I couldn't even get through the opening dropship cutscene without the video becoming so artifacted I couldn't even make out faces anymore. By the time I got to gameplay I was dealing with 3 seconds of consistent input lag and any time the screen needed to update a lot (for example, rotating the camera left or right) the visuals would become a garbled, unreadable mess.

they made recent updates to the service within the past month or two. see if it had any affect for you.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This really sounds like an issue with your network connection.

Were you ever able to try stadia?

Nah. Playstation Now was similar but less awful when I was a beta tester for the service, though I only tested it with things like retro-styled platformers and not AAA games. And I was on a completely different ISP in a completely different city then. I have zero interest in Stadia.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Nah. Playstation Now was similar but less awful when I was a beta tester for the service, though I only tested it with things like retro-styled platformers and not AAA games. And I was on a completely different ISP in a completely different city then. I have zero interest in Stadia.

So.. is this even a Microsoft problem?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It's amazing to see how Microsoft money and technology can work when they decide its go time.
Oh, I feel like this is just a fraction of it. If they really wanted, they could do partnerships with ISPs to ensure homes have good connections for streaming, hotels to have it available in hotel rooms, and airports to prioritize xCloud traffic. I wonder if we'll see partnerships like that...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So.. is this even a Microsoft problem?

It's a game streaming problem in general. If you can't get good results on a gaming streaming service in a massive urban center like Chicago OR in the suburbs outside of Boston due to predatory ISPs giving poor service while being the only option for some consumers in those areas, maybe, just maybe, it's too early to be pushing game streaming too hard.

Like Microsoft (and Sony, and Google) should be paying attention to how toxic and horrible the ISP situation is for the majority of consumers in America before trying to go whole-hog on game streaming. Comcast isn't going to make it easy on us.