• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed the "surprises" comment from DF was about good news for the PS5, but I'm guessing it's about stuff like RDR2 loading 20+ seconds faster than the PS5. Amazing console you built there, MS. I gave my pre-order to a co-worker due to a lack of games at launch, but once they show up I'm definitely in. Impressive to say the least.

The surprise was about how good BC is on PS4.

Also the OP should be updated with impressions from other journos and sites that show closer times.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's weird I saw Dave Lee on YouTube has different boot up times:

H9m4s39.jpg

so basically very similar to the ~8 seconds that Push Square reported, that leaves Warren as the outlier

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
User banned (2 weeks): Antagonizing fellow members, history of similar behavior
Why are Toms numbers different than the other tests?
Oh well Nelson is in here so I think we know whats going on.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Just to be clear here, we've tested this across multiple consoles and we're seeing the same results. If anyone has seen footage of resume from sleep that's 5 seconds, I'd love to see it to see what's different. I am measuring both from the point I press the button to wake the consoles up, and you can see that clearly in the video.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why are Toms numbers different than the other tests?

It seems no two people's timings are exactly the same. I guess a million and one things could vary your resume time. What was suspended, what the machine was in the middle of doing, whether it was in the middle of doing something in rest mode when you resumed - if that thing was network related or not - if it wanted to run a check on something...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear here, we've tested this across multiple consoles and we're seeing the same results. If anyone has seen footage of resume from sleep that's 5 seconds, I'd love to see it to see what's different. I am measuring both from the point I press the button to wake the consoles up, and you can see that clearly in the video.
Cheers for the clarification.

Oct 30, 2017
Can't say I'm complaining.

At worse, I spend 14 seconds. At best I wait 8 seconds or so.
Definitely going to be a pleasant experience that may even improve over time.

It's pretty clear that MS and Sony both have a big interest in seeing load time reductions across the entire user experience.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Antagonising other members, history of platform wars
Isn't Tom Warren an MS PR rep? That's the impression I got leading up to the launch.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Not bad but I feel like Switch has both these systems beat, anytime have a time there? Think it's around 1 second. So nice. Wish they could implement that.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I tagged you about this earlier... why aren't you adding to the first post the other reports that show faster PS5 boot times from sleep mode than the one from Tom Warren (like the thread title claims)? You've edited the post at least once to include more comments from him, and the bizarre thing is that update was him challenging other tests that you aren't even bothering to add, so there is no context there at all. Besides, I haven't seen him confirm if had the PS5's Eco mode turned on, which would likely affect boot times as some here have observed (perhaps add that disclaimer in the OP until/if he addresses it).

If this was supposed to solely be a thread about his outlier test alone, then simply say so and ask the mods to change the thread title for you: "Tom Warren's Boot Time Comparison". However, if it is supposed to truly capture all reported comparisons (especially since they are varying widely), then put them all up for people to discuss thoroughly.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I tagged you about this earlier... why aren't you adding to the first post the other reports that show faster PS5 boot times from sleep mode than the one from Tom Warren (like the thread title claims)? You've edited the post at least once to include more comments from him, and the bizarre thing is that update was him challenging other tests that you aren't even bothering to add, so there is no context there at all.

If this was supposed to solely be a thread about his outlier test alone, then simply say so and ask the mods can change the thread title for you. However, if it is supposed to truly capture all reported comparisons (especially since they are varying widely), then put them all up for people to discuss thoroughly.
Atm his is the only one with a video for us to judge. The others are abit over the place also. So atm i keep it at that.
Will ask for a title change if that satisfies you.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So that was not the surprise DF hinted at? lol
I think they were referring to the fact that Xbox games were running at higher resolutions than the PS5 games.

Edit: I was accidentally referring to a different Tweet and confused surprise with advantage, with respect to the Xbox Series X not holding 60 fps.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I tagged you about this earlier... why aren't you adding to the first post the other reports that show faster PS5 boot times from sleep mode than the one from Tom Warren (like the thread title claims)? You've edited the post at least once to include more comments from him, and the bizarre thing is that update was him challenging other tests that you aren't even bothering to add, so there is no context there at all.

If this was supposed to solely be a thread about his outlier test alone, then simply say so and ask the mods to change the thread title for you: "Tom Warren's Boot Time Comparison". However, if it is supposed to truly capture all reported comparisons (especially since they are varying widely), then put them all up for people to discuss thoroughly.

Yea, I have to say it is a bit weird he isn't updating the OP with the other (faster) times and tests, but is happy to update with Tom Warren's follow up post (which came after the other results were posted).

The interesting thing is that Dave Lee's cold boot time is almost exactly the same as Tom Warren's.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Atm his is the only one with a video for us to judge. The others are abit over the place also. So atm i keep it at that.
Will ask for a title change if that satisfies you.
That makes zero sense (mods, chime in?).

Push Square is a professional organization. Their rep posted his results here and you have an obligation to add reports like that to minimize confusion, not add to it by sticking to only one source. If you can post up TW's challenge to other tests that differ from his (which you did), you can post the actual tests he is challenging for full context.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Isn't Tom Warren an MS PR rep? That's the impression I got leading up to the launch.
Quick write a mail to Sony as they didn't know and send him a PS5. XD

Perhaps Tom got the results he got and there are other reasons for these differences in booting. Why is is necessary to treat journalist (Tom, ...) and developers like this?

Jun 12, 2020
Personally updates on other reports should be video comparison. Need visual receipts. Either way its great to have consoles finally using SSDs as a standard.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Atm his is the only one with a video for us to judge. The others are abit over the place also. So atm i keep it at that. Will ask for a title change if that satisfies you.

You should be presenting all the evidence, not selectively choosing a portion of it. Allow people to make up their own minds and see the whole picture.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I honestly wonder how the hell the Xbox is loading faster, triply so for resuming from sleep. Technology is fascinating

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Nice test. I look forward to seeing more folks do A/B tests and seeing those results.
hello there, Will you do a podcast with one or two Xbox members and talk about your experience with the new launch? The challenges, the suprises, your excitement, ... . I just like to hear insiders of the new consoles talk about the lead up to launch :)
You should be presenting all the evidence, not selectively choosing a portion of it. Allow people to make up their own minds and see the whole picture.
I agree. OP please make a edit with those times. It would be fair.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Probably a silly question...but I don't suppose it could be a handshake issue with the tv being used?

It looks like an LG and my PS4 Pro often takes an age for an image to appear on that (sometimes it doesn't at all ....unless I unplug/replug the HDMI cable).

Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Very surprised to see the raw numbers for just regular booting plus the Gamespot testing. Kind of head scratching unless its simply a matter of optimization vs. not? However, I am watching this DF BC video and it sounds really positive.

As someone basically equally excited for both new machines and thrilled about fast consoles to go along with a fast PC, I am just happy for every bit of good news we get about the new machines :)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think they were referring to the fact that Xbox games were running at higher resolutions than the PS5 games.
Nah, the DF crew are very knowledgeable and they should've anticipated this. They knew Xbox and PS won't automatically increase the resolution of games beyond their limit set by the developers. Which is most of the time...
  • 900p Xbox One
  • 1080p PS4
  • 1440p PS4 Pro
  • 4K Xbox one X
The surprise was that PS solution is more robust than they and imo many more anticipated.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
You tried to switch the sleep mode ?
There are two different sleep modes on PS5, right ?

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a silly question...but I don't suppose it could be a handshake issue with the tv being used?

It looks like and LG and my PS4 Pro often takes an age for an image to appear on that (sometimes it doesn't at all ....unless I unplug/replug the HDMI cable).

Very good point. My Samsung takes a while to show anything, my Panasonic is much faster.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the DF crew are very knowledgeable and they should've anticipated this. They knew Xbox and PS won't automatically increase the resolution of games beyond their limit set by the developers. Which is most of the time...
  • 900p Xbox One
  • 1080p PS4
  • 1440p PS4 Pro
  • 4K Xbox one X
The surprise was that PS solution is more robust than they and imo many more anticipated.
I just realized that they were not referring to the Tweet I thought they were. I thought it was about the PS5 60 fps Tweet from DF's John where he was discussing that Xbox has it's own advantage despite not holding 60 fps versus the PS5.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
SSDs are the clear winner of next-gen already. The QoL of not having to wait for load times is such a game-changer.