• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
A year ago people were losing their minds over timed indie exclusives and are now cheering constant large acquisitions 🙄

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
There are situations in which acquisitions can be good news. Obsidian's acquisition was a good thing for me because that team could expand and grow under MS. Some acquisition are pretty meh like Bethesda being acquired. I get why it happened but it didn't really make things better. That's more of a power move above anything else. If IOI is bought, then that's a bad acquisition imho. We could have had a indie team expand into a tour-de-force on their own without the backing of a multi-billion dollar corporation. A good acquisition means it benefits both the developer and gamers, a meh acquisition doesn't really help the developers or gamers, and a bad acquisition means it is detrimental to the industry. Taking away independent studios that have a lot of potential is a shitty thing and doesn't bode well for the industry at large imho.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Someone correct me because this is all stuff I remember reading long ago. But IOI got a chance at buying itself out instead of being shutdown. Hitman wasn't living up to expectations. It wasn't their choice. And in order to go independent they had to downsize dramatically (afaik). Ever since then, throughout the development of Hitman 2 and 3 and their DLC, it's been very obvious that they've always been strapped for money. Whether it's IOI getting acquired or not by Microsoft, the rumors are not surprising, they are one of the more obvious opportunities.
I'm not too familiar with their history so that could be true.
IIRC Hitman 3 was very successful for them so they seem like they are in a better spot compared to years ago. But if they need help funding wise from MS to make good games then it's a good move for them

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I am probably going to stop complaining about this shit because it isn't going to stop it would seem, even as a Series X owner with GP, I just want the buying to end, but whatever. I do wonder if GP like Netflix is going to just start rising in price over time because of this.

They're not even close to their goal of hundreds of millions on game pass, no way it's rising in price any time soon. If anything there will be cheaper streaming-only tiers and a continuation of deals to get people to try Game pass. Once Game pass is many more devices, xcloud is a lot better with XSX blades humming and the numbers are much much higher will you see MS looking at raising prices. I still believe we're years away from that.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that MS hasn't poached a Japanese dev yet (besides tango)

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am probably going to stop complaining about this shit because it isn't going to stop it would seem, even as a Series X owner with GP, I just want the buying to end, but whatever. I do wonder if GP like Netflix is going to just start rising in price over time because of this.
Services like these usually start with a low price to reach a critical mass of subscribers as fast as possible and will then slowly raise the price. That's something that would likely happen regardless of how many studios MS buys.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Or they have a subscription service they need to provide a steady stream of content for. I bet it's that.
that makes no sense. they're buying many studios because a subscription service needs a steady stream of content to grow.
I love that GamePass has been "The best value in gaming" for the past 3 years running but at the same time needs about 5-10 more studios to be bought for it

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If y'all gonna acquire Crytek can you help fund Hunt: Showdown, I need me that new map already.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I find it hilarious we have gone from hinting at games to hinting at studio acquisitions.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I foresee in 5 years Xbox owning everything bar Sony and Nintendo, then charging £100 per month, causing subs to cancel to the point where Xbox can't sustain all the studios, then Sony buying them off of Xbox for a quid each.

Jim's not stupid.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
Someone correct me because this is all stuff I remember reading long ago. But IOI got a chance at buying itself out instead of being shutdown. Hitman wasn't living up to expectations. It wasn't their choice. And in order to go independent they had to downsize dramatically (afaik). Ever since then, throughout the development of Hitman 2 and 3 and their DLC, it's been very obvious that they've always been strapped for money. Whether it's IOI getting acquired or not by Microsoft, the rumors are not surprising, they are one of the more obvious opportunities.
Hitman 2 and 3 did well for them and they're currently expanding.

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang...awful how people will be able to play those studios titles on gamepass, from whatever device they want, for a few dollars a month.

Yeah it's a real shame, feel very persecuted here that so many gamers without XBox, PC, phones, laptops smart tv's, streaming boxes will miss out on all this exclusive content.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
we've yet to see but almost all of them have massively grown in size, many of them now have multiple teams working on multiple projects, and of course they all have way bigger budgets and more financial stability when previously they had to use kickstarter or pitch games to different publishers.

double fine for example, if it wasn't for MS i'm certain they would have had to release psychonauts 2 one or two years ago, in a much less polished state while having to cut content. it's like the first time they get to release a game in a state they're satisfied with.

Ok thats a good example. I couldn't come up with any studios that had put out a game after being bought by MS since Rare. I guess this new wave of acquisitions haven't had time to put anything out yet.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
100% it will. Either the price will jump substantially or certain games will stop coming day 1. Everything is subject to change and people who cheer buyouts because it potentially means more value from a nebulous subscription service are naive af.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I don't get the Crytek purchase. Weren't there some internal management issues a few years back that led to a bit of an exodus of talent? It's not like they are constantly pumping out hits. Maybe they've seen Crysis 4 and it is mind blowing, but they would be very low on the list of studios I'd like to see MS acquire.
I think if you look at a something like The Initiative, and how cumbersome the process is to build a studio from scratch, you see how valuable "workforce in place" is when you're trying to build your first-party development capacity.

With Crytek, you're probably making a pretty cheap acquisition and you're getting (1) a functioning team, (2) a game that's in-progress and likely ready to launch in the next year or so, and (3) the ability to shake-up management and invest in the team over time.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Finally more MS acquisitions, I was worried for a minute, gonna wait for the official announcements for further comments though.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love that GamePass has been "The best value in gaming" for the past 3 years running but at the same time needs about 5-10 more studios to be bought for it
"The best value in gaming" is an ancillary effect of building the "Neflix of gaming". The latter hasn't yet been accomplished, so Microsoft will continue to build out its IP / developer porfolio to make that a reality.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy. It's become exhausting coming into these threads and preaching how much I hate this shit, but no doubt this isn't stopping anytime soon. Ah well, at least this shit is coming to Game Pass, which is sick.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that MS hasn't poached a Japanese dev yet (besides tango)

3eb2519b-fa7f-4c7f-8ea2-d50a7844abf5_text.gif

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
This thread devolved quickly into platform wars, acquisition begging, and hostility. As such, it is locked and will remain locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.