• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
People have been saying it is currently profitable on here for a long ass time, and we routinely get threads asking why Sony (or even Nintendo) don't have an equivalent. Now that this comes out some of the same folks are saying it isn't news or we already knew this. C'mon now.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Typical of a subscription service to begin as a loss leader.

I really hope those sacrificing ownership to go all in on gamepass are prepared for the inevitable price rises.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not only is it not profitable, but we don't know when Microsoft expects it to become profitable. For all we know, they could be planning to pour money into Gamepass for several years before they start seeing a true return on investment.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
GP won't be profitable at the level MS wants for quite some time, this is very long term investment project requring insane amount of money to burn and brand expansion.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
A service can be sustainable without being profitable at a particular moment in time.
It's more a service like it can be sustainable to MS, without a profit. That doesn't mean it is for the other platform holders, it's why the "why don't Sony & Nintendo just do the same" is silly.

Shinshero

Oct 27, 2017
Once the cheap promo ($1 dollar conversions etc) is over and it's 15 dollars a month, $180 a year, it may well be profitable, and if not they'll do a nominal price increase. For now, their priority should be growth.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
MS is betting HARD on all those people who cheesed the system to get long term subscriptions. They expect those people to resub when the time comes for more money.

And it'll probably work. I can't imagine not having game pass at this point.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked. I definitely remember seeing a whole lot of "Phil Spencer said that Gamepass is already profitable" posts though.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why this is such a big deal for everybody or why we should care for a trillion dollar company if its profitable or not. Feels so weird.

some of it can be a weird obsession, but there's also the ecosystem situation. people have spent their hard-earned money into certain ecosystems, and the level of success of those things is something they are literally invested in.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
for people wondering why this matters:

it gives us an idea of how the service may evolve in the future. at some point, they're going to want to turn a profit which can be done through some combination of lowering costs and increasing revenue. this will likely be done through some combination of the following: lowering the number of games included, lowering compensation to publishers/developers, increasing subscription price

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
I'm kind of weary of races to the bottom, it looks an awful lot like microsoft is trying to get mindshares by designing a service basically no one else could sustain by burning through cash like it's tinder. I've yet to be convinced it's good for the industry.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It explicitly says that gaming is profitable for Microsoft, which is corroborated by their financials.

Yes, but "gaming" also includes everything they do across PC. Its not just Xbox.

But the way its worded seems to imply that for Xbox specifically the hardware is always sold at a loss, with software picking up slack.

I misinterpreted that comment as "gaming" overall was profitable but the console business specifically wasn't due to losses on hardware.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
MS is betting HARD on all those people who cheesed the system to get long term subscriptions. They expect those people to resub when the time comes for more money.

Indeed.

But I don't need to worry about MS asking me for more money until December 2024, haha.

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
game pass isn't at all like Netflix, Netflix only makes money from subscriptions, game pass doesn't have to be profitable if it brings more people/time spent to the platform result in more games/mtx sales

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Because if they can't make it profitable... the good service we all know and love will... stop?

They aren't going to keep doing it if they can't make it work.
Don't worry it's normal for a subscription service to not be profitable in the growth stage. In fact MS or any other company would do something wrong, if they are profitable right now. As mad as it sounds, because this would mean they aren't 100% invest into growth.
As obvious as this is to anyone who bothered to think about it, there were plenty of people here who insisted it was profitable and would go after anyone suggesting it wasn't. It's going to be a while before it starts making a profit, look at any other similar service.
No, there were plenty of people insisting on Gamepass being sustainable. Profitable =/= sustainable.
Xbox is going to dump a billion a year for at least half a decade, and be in the red for a while.
They aren't in the red. Microsoft is profitable as Spencer said a while ago and now a MS guy in the court case of Epic can Apple.
They won't even make the money back from the Bethesda purchase anytime soon.
Here is a great explanation why this doesn't matter for a huge company with to much money in the bank:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS is playing this smart, with all the deals and promotions to get people to sign up they are going to train large swaths of people to keep using game pass. Eventually many will stick with the service when most of the deals are taken away. If MS can consistently supply great day 1 content for the service in the next few years, I will continue to subscribe, even without the xblg conversion offers.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
No surprise. I only think it'll be profitable if they can hit 75-100m users and that doesn't happen unless they sell a lot more consoles.

It's a big gamble.

That doesn't happen ever. PS+ has only about 40m subscribers on a much larger base for far less money, and that's mandatory for console multiplayer.

Its probably the ceiling.

75-100m subscribers doesn't happen unless you're giving gamepass away for free on PC.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will adopt a Disney+ model in the near future.

Play Starfield now for $20 or wait 6 to 9 months and play it on Normal Gamepass.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm kind of weary of races to the bottom, it looks an awful lot like microsoft is trying to get mindshares by designing a service basically no one else could sustain by burning through cash like it's tinder. I've yet to be convinced it's good for the industry.
Xbox itself is profitable, so they aren't burning as much money as you think. To your concern, well many developers already said it's good for them and services like Netflix, Spotify or now Gamepass grow the industry.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I misinterpreted that comment as "gaming" overall was profitable but the console business specifically wasn't due to losses on hardware
Well Spencer also said Xbox is profitable in the past. So wether you include PC or not doesn't change the outcome. But I can understand you asking this, because I would've asked this myself, if I didn't knew what Spencer said in the past.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
It may not be, but its existence seems to annoy a lot of people who aren't in the MS ecosystem.

And you can't put a price on that.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
That doesn't happen ever. PS+ has only about 40m subscribers on a much larger base for far less money, and that's mandatory for console multiplayer.

Its probably the ceiling.

75-100m subscribers doesn't happen unless you're giving gamepass away for free on PC.

PS+ is restricted to a single platform, and the potential target audience is a lot smaller. I expect there will be a big uptick in GamePass subscribers on PC in the next couple years. The only question remains whether it will be on the revamped Windows store (rumored to launch this fall) or if MSFT will have to take the poison pill of Steam because they can't get it right. That's not mentioning the streaming/mobile aspect at all.

Sure things could not work out for them, but hard cap of 40 million is way too pessimistic IMO.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This. I have game pass for 3 years at an average cost of $5 per month, which is an absolute steal. In 3 years if MS can really accelerate their day 1 releases for first party titles with all the studios they have, and have a good amount of day 1 or 3-6 months after launch for 3rd party titles, it'll be a service I'd gladly pay full pop for if all the deals dries up.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yet Sony and Nintendo should have their own Gamepass to compete! I'm sure it will turn profit in the near future though.

Lol exactly. Guess people forget how much in the red Sony was in with the PS3. It was a pretty bad time for Sony those years. Even had them contemplating cancelling Playstation if the PS4 wasn't successful. There's no way having their own Gamepass could be sustainable as it is for a trillion dollar company like MS. Just the facts. Any "answer" to Gamepass Jim ryan spoke about will probably be nothing like people are expecting.

Agree. Its one of the reason I always stick to they dont have to do a Game pass service exactly 1:1 and still have success. Too many times I point to Disney Plus charging a same day access fee for movies launching in theaters or WB going back to the traditional model in 2022 for movie releases and when they come to streaming.

But for some reason some ppl just seems to put fingers in their ears and go la la la la la when trying to discuss this from a broader business perspective.

If MS feels this is the best way for them, great. But other dont have to do it or do it the exact same way.
What?
You're like the poster boy for MS news. I know more going on at MS from you than I do pretty much anywhere. Why is this concerning to you?
It's not like we don't think its going to be profitable but in your very thread people were assuming GP was already racking in the big dollars and you even would agree. It seems like you're the one that has too many feelings invested in what kind of narrative is happening with MS
Not gonna like, I agree with you on this...
You'd be surprised at how many people I have argued with here that claimed it was already profitable
WIld.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
No start up initiative like these ever runs at profit. It would practically be malpractice for MS to run gamepass at profit yet because they dont' need to at all and it would just result in under investment or poor user acquisition

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This is normal for subscriptions. I remember getting insane deals on Netflix early on.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Of course it's not profitable, it's legal.

Seriously, it's a good deal, but I haven't used it for 4 months, and I've got about 10 games in the queue and only one is GP, so I doubt I'll resub.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I for one am shocked. I definitely remember seeing a whole lot of "Phil Spencer said that Gamepass is already profitable" posts though.

Do you know that if you do a Google search for 'Phil Spencer Gamepass profitable', it brings up a lot of results with Spencer saying Gamepass is sustainable?

You're conflating 'profitable' with 'sustainable

What?
You're like the poster boy for MS news. I know more going on at MS from you than I do pretty much anywhere. Why is this concerning to you?
It's not like we don't think its going to be profitable but in your very thread people were assuming GP was already racking in the big dollars and you even would agree. It seems like you're the one that has too many feelings invested in what kind of narrative is happening with MS

Aren't most of his posts about MS games, studios and hardware news? Basically what you'd expect a consumer enthusiast (with an xbox bias) to post?
How's any of that at odds with his post saying there's way too much focus on managing Microsoft's finances.

Are you new to subscription services in the growth phase? They don't get any more business savvy than Tim Cook, yet Apple's giving away years of Apple TV+ subscriptions and gave away 3 - 6 months free Apple Music subs to grow users

There's also nothing they're doing that's financially out of reach of several other players in the gaming space.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could do what Sony did and release ps now with mostly old games, high price and let it just languish in the market. Sony was first but they completely dropped the ball. Only now are they trying a bit to get it going, but momentum is hard to jump start after a service flatlines. MS has to keep going hard on game pass from a value perspective with deals and content to keep this flywheel humming.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Isn't Netflix not even profitable yet?
I would be absolutely shocked if it was profitable