• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Guerrilla wasn't thinking about lower-spec-ed PCs when they were developing Horizon. I doubt they'll be thinking of lower spec-ed PCs as they develop their next games. If their games can be ported down the road, to a given min requirement on PC, that's another matter entirely.
There is a definite shift in SIE strategy when it comes to ports. I expect within the next 3 years you'll see much more ports and at a sooner interval. I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading the business

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There is a definite shift in SIE strategy when it comes to ports. I expect within the next 3 years you'll see much more ports and at a sooner interval. I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading the business
Imo, they'll first port the big PS4 games and then move on to next gen games when more PCs can catch up with the PS5

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

That'd still be completely different vs necessarily accommodating a given spec from the get-go.

I don't think Guerilla will be actively concerning themselves with anything other than PS5 as a target. That doesn't mean ports won't arrive later for hardware that can accommodate the games.

By contrast, other publishers are, up-front, actively concerning themselves with multiple specs. That's where lower specced targets affect development, not an after-the-fact release, like Horizon for PC was. There is nothing to suggest Sony is shifting to consideration of multiple platforms up-front, vs after-the-fact porting.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Indeed.

The baselines for next-gen consoles and games, as far as development goes is the following:

Xbox Game Studios (3 target specs) Exclusives:
  1. PCs with HDD and no RT hardware (so no SSD/minimum I/O expectation)
  2. Lockhart (Game will need to run to the expected performance target)
  3. Xbox Series X
Xbox Game Studios (3 target specs) Non-Exclusives (i.e. Minecraft):
  1. PCs with HDD and no RT hardware (so no SSD/minimum I/O expectation)
  2. Switch / Switch Pro (Maybe?)
  3. Lockhart (Game will need to run to the expected performance target)
  4. PlayStation 5
  5. Xbox Series X
PlayStation Worldwide Studios Exclusives:
  1. PlayStation 5
PlayStation Worldwide Studios Non-Exclusives (i.e. MLB: The Show 21+):
  1. Switch/Switch Pro
  2. PCs with HDD and no RT hardware (so no SSD/minimum I/O expectation)
  3. PlayStation 5
  4. Xbox Series X
Third Parties will adhere to the same baselines as above depending on if they're going to be multi-platform or exclusive.

So really, SIE Worldwide Studios are the ones that can fully take advantage of next-gen hardware and design their games around a baseline PlayStation 5 spec. They do not have to worry about supporting other hardware when developing exclusively for next-gen. So the SSD speed and Ray-Tracing can be core features of the games. Same goes for third party exclusives on PlayStation 5.

For the time being, as long as Xbox Game Studios supports PC day one releases and doesn't up the minimum requirements for a standard SSD (with a specific I/O speed) and a hardware RT capable graphics card, they cannot really design their games around said specifications, and will have to generally be more designed to be more scalable.

Will be interesting to see the first party next-gen exclusives for sure, I think that's where we'll see the technology shine.

Agreed. This is a really good post I hope many will read and comprehend. It's only the exclusives that can truly take full advantage of the system's potential. MS' approach with Series S, X, PC puts them in a position where they cannot fully leverage the full power of the Series X as they have to design around the limitations of lockhart and any potential lower spec PCs. There's no way around that.

With Sony only having to worry about 1 sku, they can leverage that to design games with a very high default spec. It should be interesting to see how these exclusives play out.

Oct 31, 2019
God some people expecting 'more and more' PS4 exclusive games being ported to PCs, but forget that both of those games are made in Guerrilla Studio's Decima Engine and that is why they are ported. It is a situation like this-> 'Gee there's costs already spent on porting one game on the engine, so why shouldn't we NOT spend another dollar to make MANY dollars' They would leave money on the table if they didn't. That doesn't mean other PS4 games are going to be ported to PC. PS5 games being ported isn't even on the table, there is yet no game to come out on PS5 to begin with and there is NO precedent at all for ppl to think in a stupid logic like "moar and moar PS games are going to come to PC wah wah no reason to buy a console waaaahhh" that is plain stupidity

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are we already at the "this console can do something a PC can't do" stage of console warz

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
God some people expecting 'more and more' PS4 exclusive games being ported to PCs, but forget that both of those games are made in Guerrilla Studio's Decima Engine and that is why they are ported. It is a situation like this-> 'Gee there's costs already spent on porting one game on the engine, so why shouldn't we NOT spend another dollar to make MANY dollars' They would leave money on the table if they didn't. That doesn't mean other PS4 games are going to be ported to PC. PS5 games being ported isn't even on the table, there is yet no game to come out on PS5 to begin with and there is NO precedent at all for ppl to think in a stupid logic like "moar and moar PS games are going to come to PC wah wah no reason to buy a console waaaahhh" that is plain stupidity
Well we all believe Jason to have credible sources and he says this is only the beginning so that's what a lot of people are going off

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PCs are going to be more powerful than both the PS5 and Xbox within a year or two of them launching so I'm struggling to figure out how a PS5 will be able to do something a PC can't but anyways.

Every console cycle people fall for the magic box hype and I would have thought people would realize that these consoles are basically just PCs and aren't going to be able to do anything that the PC can't do.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
PCs are going to be more powerful than both the PS5 and Xbox within a year or two of them launching so I'm struggling to figure out how a PS5 will be able to do something a PC can't but anyways.

Every console cycle people fall for the magic box hype and I would have thought people would realize that these consoles are basically just PCs and aren't going to be able to do anything that the PC can't do.
It's not that they won't be able to, it's that when developing a game for PC you have to develop for the lowest common denominator and for the time being that means no - slow SSDs as well.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
PCs will outperform these consoles in less than that. 3000 series this year Ryzen 4 likely less than a year, SSDs is the only thing that might take some time but 980 pro is end of year I believe. Basically anything these consoles can do a pc can do better (at a cost). This is why I game mostly on console, price to performance is way better (minus 2013 launches)

it's already common to see SSD in the recommended specs for pc games it'll be a minimum spec within a year or two imo

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019

Sure. But you're assuming that many people are able to buy a PC that will be able to handle the games.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not that they won't be able to, it's that when developing a game for PC you have to develop for the lowest common denominator and for the time being that means no - slow SSDs as well.

SSD is slowly becoming the norm and SSD game design isn't going to fundamentally alter how games are made like some seem to think but the games will speak for themselves

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Are we already at the "this console can do something a PC can't do" stage of console warz
We were there with Cerny's PS5 talk. The problem is that that awesome PS5 SSD that doesn't currently have an equal needs expandable storage of the same speed. That expandable storage is going to come in the form of an off the shelf PC SSD. That doesn't mean that the consoles aren't great but there is no way that consoles get to keep the power crown when they are using PC components and architecture. On top of that consoles aren't constantly evolving and updating at the pace that PC is

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Well, exactly. Porting to PC, particularly after the fact, doesn't necessarily mean that process affected your performance targets for the game or how you used the console, if the PCs your targeting are a superset of the console. And there will be plenty such PCs over time if not already (... an excess of RAM could serve much the same purpose, in a different way, that SSD throughput serves, for example).

The implication here, I think, is that because Horizon is coming to PC, Sony will start targeting a wide range of PC spec, such that it compromises the extent to which they can take advantage of the PS5.

Who knows, maybe that could turn out to be the case - but Horizon being on PC doesn't indicate that. From the info we have now, it's like putting 2+2 together and coming to 5. Like saying - I don't know - that Cyberpunk's development will have been (negatively) affected by the thought of a possible Switch port later. Big leaps of logic required to believe that, from the info we have right now, especially with Sony repeatedly echoing, and recently too, that it still very much 'believes' in the benefit to game development of generational resets and leaving legacy hardware behind.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
There's a big difference with porting a game designed around a console to pc than developing a game for both console and pc in mind.

There is no incentive for Sony to compromise the design of their big releases for PC specs. On the other hand, there are a sizable amount of PC games who should be able to run PS5 spec games over the next few years, ssd and all. No chance big games would be day and date, but a couple of years down the line, they can still get sales. I expect Horizon to sell pretty well on PC. It will look awesome with PC upgrades and it is a great game. I think the approach of releasing certain games - not all - a couple of years down the line make sense.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Agreed. This is a really good post I hope many will read and comprehend. It's only the exclusives that can truly take full advantage of the system's potential. MS' approach with Series S, X, PC puts them in a position where they cannot fully leverage the full power of the Series X as they have to design around the limitations of lockhart and any potential lower spec PCs. There's no way around that.

With Sony only having to worry about 1 sku, they can leverage that to design games with a very high default spec. It should be interesting to see how these exclusives play out.

No, it's not. See above. Lockhart and XSX are the same minimum spec in terms of SSD and CPU, and MS decides what the minimum PC spec is for any given game. There's nothing "holding them back" here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
You're just artificially assuming that MS won't set a minimum PC spec requirement that includes an SSD. They can do that any time. And adding Lockhart changes nothing as far as target spec since it has the same SSD.
I am not artificially assuming that. Even if they require an SSD it needs to also be graded at the speeds of the the XSX/XSS in order for games to be designed around that given spec. Same goes for RT.

It won't be at least a year given what they've said anyway, since their studios will be working on cross-generation games releasing for that first year or so with no next-gen exclusives from them until later. MS's minimum spec is whatever the PC minimum spec is, then Lockhart, then XSX. There are 3 tiers of specs there, no ways around it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
No, you dont. Where do you guys get info like this?
Of course they will. It's a fundamental principle in business and in software development. When you develop something you have to develop it to reach to largest audience possible. It's a balancing act of course, but if 40% of the PC population (not real number) is using a HDD you are damn straight gonna develop the game to work for that audience as well. That's not to say that there won't be outliers but for a little while at least third parties are going to develop their PC games to work for as many of their fans as possible.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PCs can easily overcome any SSD advantage by having more RAM like you already see MS Flight Sim saying you should ideally have 32gb of ram.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the response, I was thinking that would be about the case here and honestly I'm definitely looking forward to see what the devs are able to do with such capable hardware.

An aside, but I really hope insomniac takes this godsend opportunity to toss The Flash into the next Spiderman and do him some justice, a setpiece battle with him would be pretty gnarly.
Getting The Flash in a Marvel game might be difficult. 😜
I would love a Flash or Superman game though.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
An aside, but I really hope insomniac takes this godsend opportunity to toss The Flash into the next Spiderman and do him some justice, a setpiece battle with him would be pretty gnarly.

Yeah, that's not happening.

I could see this happening as well. But the industry as a whole is moving ever closer to platform agnosticism so I can see Sony moving there eventually.

For MS yes, we certainly aren't seeing that from Sony and Nintendo. 'One console future' has been talked about for decades, it won't happen.

Last edited:

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Upgrading to a SSD is super easy. Nobody has to develop games for HDD because of PC Users. Star Citzen is already basically requiring a SSD to play it.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they will. It's a fundamental principle in business and in software development. When you develop something you have to develop it to reach to largest audience possible. It's a balancing act of course, but if 40% of the PC population (not real number) is using a HDD you are damn straight gonna develop the game to work for that audience as well. That's not to say that there won't be outliers but for a little while at least third parties are going to develop their PC games to work for as many of their fans as possible.
We just had COD requiring DX12 and Windows 10 with update 1909 just a few months ago. We had multiple games in the past locking the whole batch of gamers out of their games due to GPU or Directx requirements, the transition is always forced by high end games.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
User Banned (1 week): Antagonizing other members, history of similar behavior
We literally had Matt here saying how SSD will change to game design. Hell, we're literally in a thread of devs saying that.

If MS had a faster SSD he would be hyping it to all heaven.

Don't waste your time.

EDIT: I see he's changed his avatar from the Halo ring.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would hope not, really.

Would it be viable to make development completely separate from one another in first party titles?
I don't think they'd do that, no. They did the same thing with Halo at the beginning of this generation with it being cross gen IIRC.

I'm really curious how this all goes.

In one way, I'm glad I don't have to plunk down cash at launch to play any of Microsoft's games (I already have a One X, which in theory should be able to play their games at a higher fidelity than Lockhart would be able to anyway- probably with slower load times though), on the other, I'm a little sad that I'll still be playing "current gen" for 2 more years.

I'm really curious- will Halo Infinite look/run better on Lockhart or One X? 4TF + SSD or 6TF + HDD.
Lockhart. A larger TF number doesn't mean everything. Lockhart will be the new architecture, so it's actually a bit more powerful. Plus, it has the SSD, More RAM, and a much better CPU. My guess is lockhart will have a better frame rate and visuals.

The part I'm wondering about is how they'll position it. Is lockhart supposed to be a 1080p box? It would be strange, but we could end up with a weird mix like the X being a lot worse technically but in a higher resolution. Time will tell.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
We just had COD requiring DX12 and Windows 10 with update 1909 just a few months ago. We had multiple games in the past locking the whole batch of gamers out of their games due to GPU or Directx requirements, the transition is always forced by high end games.
Dude in 2018 windows 10 adoption was at like 700 million devices. DX12 launched in 2015, it took years for devs to start requiring it. Why do you think most AAA third party games are going to be cross platform for a little while, when they could have made them exclusives? It's a business decision. Eventually SSDs are going to be the norm but it takes some time. Could be 1, 2, 3 years but yeah eventually you will see it.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Dude in 2018 windows 10 adoption was at like 700 million devices. DX12 launched in 2015, it took years for devs to start requiring it. Why do you think most AAA third party games are going to be cross platform for a little while, when they could have made them exclusives? It's a business decision. Eventually SSDs are going to be the norm but it takes some time. Could be 1, 2, 3 years but yeah eventually you will see it.
You can buy SSDs for like 10 years now, all games and the operating systems run way better on them, some games practically required them for years to stay sane like Path of Exile. Its not a new technology and most PC gamers playing higher end games have already adopted them.

Joo

May 25, 2018
But to be clear I'm not talking about closing any gap, I'm talking about the implementation on SX already enabling the desired scenarios to the point to meet production and storage capacity. Or to be even clearer that it might be already enough to provide a 1:1 pixel/texel density of unique assets per frame. At that point. I don't see why anything faster would be actually useful. (And imo, ps5 reaches this point just in raw speed, without having to consider what is being loaded or not, which may be a decent enough reason to have a faster drive in the first place.)
You're obviously very knowledgeable on these matters, but wouldn't it be best to just wait the assumed couple weeks for Sony and MS to show the games and what the consoles are capable of before making these kind of statements?

We have absolutely no idea what's the fastest useful ssd in this situation and have no reason to assume that PS5 doesn't have clear benefits with faster ssd. There's still a 100% increase over XSX which on paper is really massive if you think about it, when at the same time some people are arguing that XSX's 18% increase in GPU will be significant.

They've probably tested these specs to death and it's very unlikely that there's something included just for bragging rights.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This should be obvious to anyone.
Graphics cards make things shiny. CPU affects performance.
Now of course it's more nuanced than that, but generally it's a lot easier to turn down the visual quality/resolution to improve performance than optimize for a slower CPU.

For example:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on an old i5-2500K, with an ~2.5 TFLOP GTX 960:
dxmd1157szw.jpg

This scene (the most CPU-intense one I have found in the game) is running at ~43 FPS with only 60% GPU utilization, because the CPU is maxed-out at 100% and holding it back.

Let's upgrade the GPU to an ~6.5 TFLOP GTX 1070:
dxmd1070hwq87.jpg

Oh, it's the exact same 43.7 FPS; but since the GPU is faster it's only running at 33% utilization now.

We can of course do more with a faster GPU: increasing the resolution and graphical fidelity:
dxmd-ultra47snc.jpg

We get the same ~43 FPS, but now the GPU is at 99% utilization and it looks a lot better.
No matter how much you turn down the graphical settings or increase the performance of the GPU, it won't run any faster because the CPU is the limiting factor here.
Upgrade the CPU from that old i5-2500K to a Ryzen 1700X and performance in the above scene now reaches 92 FPS instead of 43 FPS:
dxmd-d3d11-smt0hhdqu.png

But we are still limited by our CPU, as the GPU utilization is still only reaching 56%.
With a fast enough CPU, that scene could theoretically be running at 164 FPS on the GTX 1070 - though I'd prefer to tune it for ~90 FPS with better graphics.

In another set of tests, if we have the CPU running at 4.5 GHz, it runs at 50 FPS:
4500mhz-smallq3sgf.png

If we roughly halve the CPU clockspeed to 2.3 GHz, it now runs at 26 FPS:
2300mhz-small29sbe.png

Performance in this test scales almost linearly with CPU performance, since we are not limited by our GPU.
PS5 GPU is 20% slower than XSX? You can just drop the resolution by 20% to make up for it.
CPU performance is what matters more.

4K is 4x the resolution of 1080p.
The performance difference is 3x.

Why would the 12TF system be holding back the 4TF system?
If all else was equal, that would actually make Lockhart more powerful relative to the output resolution, since it is 1/3 the power for 1/4 the resolution.
I'm quite sure that it will be scaled back in other ways, but if we're purely comparing 4TF to 12TF, I don't see the issue. You could run games at 1200p and still have a slight performance advantage.
Good post

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
You can buy SSDs for like 10 years now, all games and the operating systems run way better on them, some games practically required them for years to stay sane like Path of Exile. Its not a new technology and most PC gamers playing higher end games have already adopted them.
Not saying it's new, it's about adoption. Price for SSDs were very expensive for a long time. They are only just starting to get really cheap. Eventually they will be the standard, I hope sooner rather than later. My only point is that most devs are going to make games that have the potential that sells as much as possible. That means you have to develop for HDDs for the time being. I'm willing to bet 2 years at least before games require SSDs.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying it's new, it's about adoption. Price for SSDs were very expensive for a long time. They are only just starting to get really cheap. Eventually they will be the standard, I hope sooner rather than later. My only point is that most devs are going to make games that have the potential that sells as much as possible. That means you have to develop for HDDs for the time being. I'm willing to bet 2 years at least before games require SSDs.
Thanks current gen consoles for that, not PCs. PC gamers adapt as they always had. Its so easy right now, compares to the hardware rush in 90s and 00s.
Seriously 1tb M2 drive cost is the same as two new games, people will adapt if they will have too.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
SSD is slowly becoming the norm and SSD game design isn't going to fundamentally alter how games are made like some seem to think but the games will speak for themselves
I guess all the developers who have come to this forum and told us how SSDs will change game design are...what, full of bologna?

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
No, it's not. See above. Lockhart and XSX are the same minimum spec in terms of SSD and CPU, and MS decides what the minimum PC spec is for any given game. There's nothing "holding them back" here.
You're misunderstanding what the post i was replying to was talking about. Im aware of the specs and how it comes together and am a follower of cpu/gpu tech.

it's not about lockheart vs series x holding back. He was talking about the low bar that games are designed around and how it can influence the design decisions being made in development.

the more skus your game is to run on, the more you'll have to factor that in with designing the world. Which is why a ps5 exclusive has a higher low bar than a lockhart/seriesx/pc to design from. That's the point he was trying to make. It's strictly about first party exclusives being able to take full power of the system to the max. Leveraging all the power available to the max.
multiplatform games are where we would see limitations in design put in place.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Thanks past gen consoles for that, not PCs. PC gamers adapt as they always had. Its so even easy right now, compares to the hardware rush in 90s and 00s.
Seriously 1tb M2 drive cost is the same as two new games, people will adapt easily if they will have too.
They won't have to though, at least not in the beginning. Once the adoption rate gets to a certain point then devs are going to start putting it in required specs. I'll give you an example if you've ever developed for android using android studios one of the first decisions you want to make is what version of android to develop your app for. Android Studio is handy when making this decision because it will show you the adoption rate for each version. Most devs will choose to develop for the version with the most adoption. As the years go by the newer version start becoming the mostly used, and the newest version is rarely developed for at least initially.

I do think that you are right that consoles with SSDs will ramp up adoption rates, but book mark this post if you want, I just don't see that happening this year or maybe even the next year. I think we will see it in maybe end of 2021 maybe 2022.