• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
4k at 60 FPS with CPUs that are better than Jaguars are key to next gen. Both consoles appear to have that covered.

I'm still not convinced SSDs will mean much more than faster installations, faster update downloads and faster load times - not that I'm complaining. I just think this whole SSD comparison debate is silly. Both consoles will be decidedly faster than current gen offerings.
I agree. at 4.8-6GB/s and 8-9GB/s as the throughput you can do equally amazing things.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I think the further down the road, the more difficult it would be to release a low-end device because ensuring adequate performance for games released up to that point would be difficult.

It's kinda weird to see this logic when MS has promised to support the xbox one with new software for at least a year after XSX launches.
I think we are more likely to see Sony do a PS5 Pro and drop the price of the PS5 than see them release a cheaper version.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You couldn't tell the difference between 900p vs 1080p??
I can tell you for me, playing Watch Dogs 2 on a base PS4 and One S, finishing it on a One S, no. Each console was in a different room.

Now, if you mean DF threads, sure. I can see most things if its pointed out to me or I actually look for it.

How good my tv was probably played a bigger part vs the actual consoles.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I can tell you for me, playing Watch Dogs 1 on a base PS4 and One S, finishing it on a One S, no. Each console was in a different room.

Now, if you mean DF threads, sure. I can see most things if its pointed out to me or I actually look for it.

How good my tv was probably played a bigger part vs the actual consoles.
Fair enough, I know I can see the difference between 900p and 1080p.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I hear you. My argument is more that there will be a point where you'll start to view Lockhart almost as badly as people view a launch model Xbox today. If not worse in comparison.

And that's not a good look, even if it's cheaper. I'm not trying to be harsh but I just think that there is a limit to how much they should cut back. If Next Gen is targeting 4K 60 and Lockhart is geared toward a consistent 1080p 30 I think that is the limit of what they should push it back. And this means not sacrificing anything from a gameplay perspective (other than the frame rate which factors).

I'm just saying it'd suck having a woefully underpowered machine just looking horrid and being an eyesore in comparison vids. If they underpower it too much its going to look like a joke by Y2.

I'm very curious to see what MS does with this. I think there is a path to great success but I think there are more paths to poor design choices, bad marketing and positioning, poor segmenting and problems with game design.

If you look at what Sony is doing, they are actively trying create a total revolution. From touch, to sound, to graphics to load/gameplay innovations. Series X has a lot of this too. But less so on paper. Lockhart has even less. These differences in approaches I think is what bugs me the most.

I understand that some people prefer a gradual evolution. But this slows progress.

I much prefer a generation that scraps everything it needs to within reason in order to truly change how we play games.

I don't want a box like this slowing MS down in any way as competition means everyone wins. Whether you want to admit it or not, there are scenarios which end badly for this dual console strategy. It's impossible for there not to be. We will see soon enough.

Imo even just shaving 100 off the BOM and price would be a great compromise. I don't know why it needs to be like 200 usd cheaper (according to rumours).

If a next gen game targets 4k60 then Lockhart will be 1080p60 with the same graphical settings.

Im not sure why the concern for it being underpowered when 4TF is actually a bit overpowered for its task of quartering the XSX's resolution.

Differences in approach make for more interesting competition, IMO. It means more creatively will be needed across the board to claim the hearts of potential consumers. It also might make investing in both more worthwhile.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm if you have a game that relies on ray traced lighting for puzzles etc how would that translate to Lockhart? Is it going to handle ray tracing even at 1080p? It would be nice if it was integral to lighting the game and not just eye candy.

Nov 20, 2019
If a next gen game targets 4k60 then Lockhart will be 1080p60 with the same graphical settings.

Im not sure why the concern for it being underpowered when 4TF is actually a bit overpowered for its task of quartering the XSX's resolution.

Differences in approach make for more interesting competition, IMO. It means more creatively will be needed across the board to claim the hearts of potential consumers. It also might make investing in both more worthwhile.
What about RT, which is already taxing? Lol

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Since when is the SSD in the XSX 6GB/s?
According to Andrew Goossen, the System architect they are aiming for over 6GB/s. Here is the article. I suspect the actual throughput will be between 4.8 and 6 once we know the full details.

Below is the quote from Mr. Goossen. We also need to remember we still haven't heard about the theoretical max throughput from MSFT. I know Cerny said 22GB/s for the PS5. Personally I doubt such figures and wonder of what use that is so maybe someone else can shed light on this.
Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'm wondering whether lockhart would be able to do this, if XSX can only do 1080p. Not a good look if you gate a marquee title with the flagship pricetag in any way.

Minecraft RTX seems like more od a proof of concept than anything. I wouldn't really consider it an example of the types of games we'll be getting next generation

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
And that's not a good look, even if it's cheaper. I'm not trying to be harsh but I just think that there is a limit to how much they should cut back. If Next Gen is targeting 4K 60 and Lockhart is geared toward a consistent 1080p 30 I think that is the limit of what they should push it back. And this means not sacrificing anything from a gameplay perspective (other than the frame rate which factors).

Lockhart has 1/3rd the power for 1/4th the resolution. The games might even perform at better frame rates than the XSX.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Seems like each measurement is using specific metrics.🤔

Such is the life in these kinds of threads...lol.

Well since you said it, lol Basically this.

"Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s". Andrew Goossen.

So to be fair that's why I said 4.8-6GB/s

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
According to Andrew Goossen, the System architect they are aiming for over 6GB/s. Here is the article. I suspect the actual throughput will be between 4.8 and 6 once we know the full details.

Below is the quote from Mr. Goossen. We also need to remember we still haven't heard about the theoretical max throughput from MSFT. I know Cerny said 22GB/s for the PS5. Personally I doubt such figures and wonder of what use that is so maybe someone else can shed light on this.

The 6GB/s is the theoretical max throughput of the block, just as the 22GB/s is for the PS5. Neither console is going to typically, if ever, hit the theoretical max of the block. Claiming the XSX SSD is capable of 6GB/s and comparing it to the 8-9GB/s figure for the PS5 is being disingenuous.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is all well and good if devs actually start using CPU processing in a big way.

I primarily use 1080p res on PC, which can easily push a 10tflop+ GPU to its limits depending on the detail level and frame rate.

So I don't think just targeting 1080p saves a 4 tflop GPU from severe performance problems at all.
It really doesn't. Am 8c/16t CPU is going to eventually fall asleep at 1080p, leaving the 4TF GPU as the major bottleneck.

I game at 1080p with an i7-9700K and RTX 2080, and the latter is still what holds me back.

This 12TF vs 4TF scenario is not going to just be the ""meh, flip the switch from 4K to 1080p" solution people are writing it off as. Much stronger sacrifices will need to be made if games are targeting the full potential of the 12TF machine.

And no, before someone quotes me, this is not a PC situation. Devs do not care about how things run on lower end PCs as the platform in general is not the major target. System requirements are posted and you sink or swim.

Serious question, but are you a PC gamer?

Because lower specced PCs don't hold back higher end ones, even if we put resolution aside.

On that note, consider that even Microsoft will be developing for these same lower specced PCs. If Lockhart doesn't exist, are your fears still the same? Because they should be if that's the way you look at it.
Why oh why do we keep regurgitating this flawed position. If games were made specifically targeted at the RTX 2080 or similar tier GPUs, would you be able to say what you are? Would Star Citizen be what it is if CIG cared about servicing a massive range of low spec hardware?

Lower spec PCs don't hold back higher-end ones, because so few games are made JUST for the higher-end one. In fact, so few graphically intensive AAA games are made JUST for PCs AT ALL.

Games are made for consoles first and foremost. Devs do not target for the consoles and also think "hmmm what potato PCs do we want to be able to play this?" PC is the afterthought, no use pretending otherwise. Watch how the system requirements change when the next-gen exclusive games start popping up. Is little Johnny with his GTX 1050 going to be in consideration? Nope. Will poor Bobby and his quad core CPU be in the thoughts of the developers? Maybe their prayers. The same thing happens every generation. The specs required go up, and you upgrade or swim with the sharks.

With the consoles, targeting the full potential of the 12TF console, while mandatory support for a 4TF machine is ordered is a completely different scenario. There is no go sink or swim to pass along to users. The devs have to make sure everything they want to do work on that system.

You are a PC gamer, so I know you have seen enough benchmark graphs to know how much stronger a GPU with three times the theoretical compute actually is in practice. It's massive.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't know enough about tech but I certainly would have assumed such a different in console power would make it harder on game development or that the final version would be noticeably worse. I don't know?

EDIT: I'm curious what AAA developers think about having to take into consideration a 4TF machine. If they were being honest would they be annoyed? Will some consider it an afterthought anyways?

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because hellblade II looks better than any real-time game ive ever seen in my life.
Yea but that's a trailer that might not be running on actual Series x hardware where Minecraft DXR is running in realtime on series x hardware with one of the most graphically expensive features available now and at playable framerates.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
This 12TF vs 4TF scenario is not going to just be the ""meh, flip the switch from 4K to 1080p" solution people are writing it off as. Much stronger sacrifices will need to be made if games are targeting the full potential of the 12TF machine.

And why is that the case? I'd say this generation made a pretty decent case for the impact of scaling resolution.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So let's say microsoft releases a 1080p60 or 1080p30 game on Series X with full RT...lockhart how?

They aren't going to do that.

If it takes nonsensical hypothetical scenarios to discredit the entire technical strategy, then maybe the strategy isn't actually bad.

Last edited:

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
The 6GB/s is the theoretical max throughput of the block, just as the 22GB/s is for the PS5. Neither console is going to typically, if ever, hit the theoretical max of the block. Claiming the XSX SSD is capable of 6GB/s and comparing it to the 8-9GB/s figure for the PS5 is being disingenuous.
Okay I posted the article where Goossen says over 6GB/s. Where did he mention it as a max throughput? If I remember correctly, Cerny clearly stated that it was as much as 22GB/s.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
Okay I posted the article where Goossen says over 6GB/s. Where did he mention it as a max throughput? If I remember correctly, Cerny clearly stated that it was as much as 22GB/s.

Okay so it's 6 point something. Regardless of what it is, you're comparing it to the typical performance of the SSD in the PS5; which one again is a disingenuous comparison meant to downplay the difference. If it was the typical performance of the SSD in the XSX, Microsoft would had used that figure instead of 2.4GB/s Raw and 4.8 GB/s Compressed.

Nov 20, 2019
It really doesn't. Am 8c/16t CPU is going to eventually fall asleep at 1080p, leaving the 4TF GPU as the major bottleneck.

I game at 1080p with an i7-9700K and RTX 2080, and the latter is still what holds me back.

And no, before someone quotes me, this is not a PC situation. Devs do not care about how things run on lower end PCs as the platform in general is not the major target. System requirements are posted and you sink or swim.

Why oh why do we keep regurgitating this flawed position. If games were made specifically targeted at the RTX 2080 or similar tier GPUs, would you be able to say what you are? Would Star Citizen be what it is if CIG cared about servicing a massive range of low spec hardware?

Lower spec PCs don't hold back higher-end ones, because so few games are made JUST for the higher-end one. In fact, so few graphically intensive AAA games are made JUST for PCs AT ALL.

Games are made for consoles first and foremost. Devs do not target for the consoles and also think "hmmm what potato PCs do we want to be able to play this?" PC is the afterthought, no use pretending otherwise. Watch how the system requirements change when the next-gen exclusive games start popping up. Is little Johnny with his GTX 1050 going to be in consideration? Nope. Will poor Bobby and his quad core CPU be in the thoughts of the developers? Maybe their prayers. The same thing happens every generation. The specs required go up, and you upgrade or swim with the sharks.

With the consoles, targeting the full potential of the 12TF console, while mandatory support for a 4TF machine is ordered is a completely different scenario. There is no go sink or swim to pass along to users. The devs have to make sure everything they want to do work on that system.

You are a PC gamer, so I know you have seen enough benchmark graphs to know how much stronger a GPU with three times the theoretical compute actually is in practice. It's massive.
This

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

if you are targeting the full potential of a 12TF card, what stops you targeting the full potential of a 4TF card and having things scale?

Nov 8, 2017

Why do you think dropping resolution isn't going to work? That's exactly how we get scaling between machines these days. Unless the GPU is not "just" less CUs and different frequency but rather has major different bottlenecks somewhere else. The TFLOP differential between Xbox One and Xbox One X correlates fairly closely to the difference in number of pixels pushed between them - a factor of 4 (1080p -> 4k or 720p -> 1440p or similar for heaps of games).

There are other architectural differences at play there - higher resolution requires higher bandwidth, and so the X1X also has better bandwidth and more system memory to allow for other things. Slightly faster CPU. But why shouldn't we expect that the difference in power, if other parts of the device are the same, couldn't be made up for primarily by droppping resolution? I'm not following your argument here, really. This is the kind of thing that will depend on the game, and I'm sure some will be using effects that scale very favourably or very unfavourably based on resolution, which will require tweaks on either the low or high end machine to give both similar performance profiles, but the general principle doesn't seem flawed at all.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k at 60 FPS with CPUs that are better than Jaguars are key to next gen. Both consoles appear to have that covered.

I'm still not convinced SSDs will mean much more than faster installations, faster update downloads and faster load times - not that I'm complaining. I just think this whole SSD comparison debate is silly. Both consoles will be decidedly faster than current gen offerings.
You obviously have no idea how the storage device actively plays into the design of games itself.

SSDs are changing the game.

Feb 23, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): History of platform warring
Tom must be pretty excited about the 120% gap in favor of the PS5 if the devs he's talked to are saying SSDs are the real game changers