• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that holding back was smart. Sony had a chance to make the best first next gen impression after the "misstep" by xbox. Now it looks like Xbox will still have the opportunity to make that first impression and it looks like it will be a big one.

Sony did have their showcase and by all metrics it was a big success. This August SoP seems to be a continuation of announcements.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I like it. I was hype off the unveil last month but I'm down to see more games! I wonder what else they have to show though?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well they did show the console. That was sure to make news.
Kena, Horizon, Gran Turismo, Spider-Man Miles Morales, RE8, etc... were trending on Twitter for hours after the show

Saying the event didn't set the world on fire is just false lol
If this event didn't set the world on fire with 7M viewers, so almost all others events aired in the past years were just anecdotical

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
With RDR2 bring so many people into the western fold it's clearly time for a new Wild Arms.

May 7, 2020
There's some real revisionist history going on in this thread in regard to the Sony event.
its intentional lol
Can't wait for more timed exclusives

/s

tenor.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kena, Horizon, Gran Turismo, Spider-Man Miles Morales, RE8, etc... were trending on Twitter for hours after the show

Saying the event didn't set the world on fire is just false lol
If this event didn't set the world on fire with 7M viewers, so almost all others events aired in the past years were just anecdotical

Pretty much. I thought the event was extremely boring personally but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend people weren't hyped for it. The response was massive.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Well they certainly need it, so many "cinematic" 3rd person games are getting old, they need to try new genres.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony literally debuted with GT7, Horizon 2, Spider-Man, Demons Souls, Ratchet e Clank just for their first party studios. In total 9 exclusives.

If you think Xbox is gonna match this hype just with Fable, Perfect Dark and Halo... idk. Reception for the Ps5 event was absurd.

You are right, you make a good point but those Xbox games you mentioned are huge. If those 3 get announced it will generate massive hype for Microsoft and their fans will be delighted with that, throw in a quick look at the next Forza and it could well be one of the best Microsoft events to date.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Hope they showcase 60/120fps games. I have a feeling Microsoft is going to try to make that some type of differentiator at their showing.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I'm officially caught up in next-gen hype! Microsoft and Sony trying to one-up eachother can only be good for me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that holding back was smart. Sony had a chance to make the best first next gen impression after the "misstep" by xbox. Now it looks like Xbox will still have the opportunity to make that first impression and it looks like it will be a big one.

The buzz, excitement, numbers generated from their June event directly contradicts this.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 reveal definitely did not deliver on the expectations.

Go back and read the OT of the event.

Annecdotaly speaking , friends and family weren't excited by any of the game reveals

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Was it smart to hold it back? Didn't feel like the initial unveil set the world on fire. We'll see if/how it all comes out I guess

It literally broke records for a gaming event. People were enthusiastically discussing the contents on social media in huge numbers. Come on, its as close to setting the gaming world on fire as you can get with a console reveal.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Nah. Game wise it was on par with the inside xbox showing. The quality of the show was really well done though.

Looks at post count, yup new member, same old shtick.

No, their showing was what MS needed to have. It showed a variety of games, most with some sort of gameplay. And a good mix of small indie, AA-AAA games from first party and third.

Almost unanimously on social media it was received super positive. I mean Digital Foundry and The cherno went in deep with some of the games that obviously had ray tracing and were native 4k.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Was it smart to hold it back? Didn't feel like the initial unveil set the world on fire. We'll see if/how it all comes out I guess
But it actually did, social media lit up, tens and tens of millions of views on their yt videos. GT7, Spidey Miles, Ratchet and Horizon 2 were all massively well receviced. Throwing more at it last month wouldn't have achieved anything better than they could have wanted in that time frame, holding back stuff to reveal constantly is always a win when you can afford to do so.

Nah. Game wise it was on par with the inside xbox showing. The quality of the show was really well done though.
heh, good one.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It literally broke records for a gaming event. People were enthusiastically discussing the contents on social media in huge numbers. Come on, its as close to setting the gaming world on fire as you can get with a console reveal.

PS4 buzz felt a lot stronger. Though maybe that was down to how bad Mattrick did and how Sony basically did the exact opposite everywhere. Plus I guess I'm in a bubble for this stuff

Oct 25, 2017

Annecdotaly speaking , friends and family weren't excited by any of the game reveals

The reality is that it has been really well-received. I mean, they had Horizon 2, a new Spider-Man, GT7, Ratchet & Clank, Resident Evil Village, new IP from Square and Capcom as well as the console itself. What expectations did you have?

May 12, 2020
But it actually did, social media lit up, tens and tens of millions of views on their yt videos. GT7, Spidey Miles, Ratchet and Horizon 2 were all massively well receviced. Throwing more at it last month wouldn't have achieved anything better than they could have wanted in that time frame, holding back stuff to reveal constantly is always a win when you can afford to do so.

heh, good one.

Didn't the event generated like 18 million viewers total? I would say it was a success for Sony.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
OMG can we stop with the pile on and talk about how Sony is going to show Syphon Filter in Aug

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Pretty much, it was a solid event that was nowhere close to living up to expectations of a pre-next-gen games showcase. It'll be interesting to see if MS goes all out with their event and what the reaction will be to that and how people compare it to the Sony event.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

nah, it was good. The only thing that would have made it better received would have been a new Naughty Dog project, which obviously isn't possible right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Just for the pure drama of it all I'd love to see Sony announce PS5 price and date, or a major PS5 exclusive, during the 7/24 Xbox show or right after.

Hoping we get Silent Hill and i would be down for Days Gone 2.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Give me those World Premieres!!

Now seriously, I don't expect a new 1st party game here. Just multiplat stuff and some timed exclusive shenanigans.