• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
I really think a lot of gamers feel threatened by the Switch. They don't want a less powerful console on top of the market or getting equal 3rd party consideration to the more powerful consoles. They feel it would hold the games back on their system of choice. So better to believe it's not possible or say it's so bad why would anyone buy it. Console wars are alive and well it seems. Of course it's not true, games will continue to push graphical boundaries, things are just much more flexible now.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I'm only loosely following so this may have been answered in 10 pages but is there any chance that they would announce this as a title for the 'Switch Pro' thats been rumored, and debut both together?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only loosely following so this may have been answered in 10 pages but is there any chance that they would announce this as a title for the 'Switch Pro' thats been rumored, and debut both together?

The Switch pro won't debut at E3 where this apparently is going to but it's always possible that it does launch together with the pro later on. It could be a game that showcases the type of upgrade a game will have on the pro versus the base version.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Witcher 3 used a 32GB cart there is no reason why it could not have the full base game and The free DLC included on it. My Witcher 3 Install without the expansions is 27.9GB including the 16 free DLC. GOTY edition on steam is like 43GB. With compression etc. maybe they could get it all on a 32gb

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
that's not how sources work, you're never gonna find a source that says it DIDN'T pass 1 million, the person claiming that it did has to bring the source.
having said that, it likely did pass 1 million on switch, as bethesda has said like 3 times they're very pleased with the game (and doom's) performance on switch. there just hasn't been any exact number given.
They even said they're pleased with wolfenstein 2's performance iirc, basically every game they have released for switch has been very successful for them

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I really still don't see this happening. It seems like such a random game, even if it still one of the best games of the generation. I just wonder what compromises would be needed to get the game to run, especially in handheld. Do you think they'd consider breaking up the world into smaller chunks? That seems quite drastic, but I cannot think of any scenario where the game runs especially well as it stands.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If Witcher 3 used a 32GB cart there is no reason why it could not have the full base game and The free DLC included on it. My Witcher 3 Install without the expansions is 27.9GB including the 16 free DLC. GOTY edition on steam is like 43GB. With compression etc. maybe they could get it all on a 32gb
Probably the most likely option

If this port is happening ,my theory is Nintendo is involved.

So either 16GB base game on cart + 8GB download for DLC or they splurge and go with 32 GB, with Nintendo publishing.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I don't know how this game will be possible if its really that CPU constrained.. This game doesn't even run a smooth 30 FPS on the PS4. Hopefully we'll get a Switch Pro September to make it feasible and not too compromising.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how this game will be possible if its really that CPU constrained.. This game doesn't even run a smooth 30 FPS on the PS4. Hopefully we'll get a Switch Pro September to make it feasible and not too compromising.
Well just today (or yesterday at this point) both Imran and Jason made a prediction where they think that the Witcher 3 will be coupled with the "Switch Pro" so maybe it'll happen (very odd coincidence though)

Can't see Nintendo doing this since it would cause fragmentation (and a smaller userbase to sell to) unless the plan is to have it be ported to the Standard Switch anyway, then later show off how much better the Pro revision is to sell it to people

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Clicks, my friend, clicks.
I do love DF but those comparisons are always a little bit useless. They do know that and still make them.

Ah well, it doesn't bother me that much and they need to generate clicks.

I guess you are right, I mean they could just make video how in theory game could run with Switch hardware on mind and and potential comparison with already released big multiplatform games on Switch,
but this is DF and people expecting to have some kind of videos comparisons even if they dont make too much sense.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Man, I would love for this to happen but then again how is this possible if on both Xbox One and PS4 struggle to stay a constant 30FPS. But then again anything is possible they freaking managed to port Doom, & Wolfenstein. Which are heavy hitters.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I'll bite because it is my favorite game of all time. But more so just to support CDPR.

Game will look like ass on anything less than a Super Switch/Switch Pro with significantly beefed specs. (Which would be amazing)

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I mean, I'll bite because it is my favorite game of all time. But more so just to support CDPR.

Game will look like ass on anything less than a Super Switch/Switch Pro with significantly beefed specs. (Which would be amazing)

I would too. But to be honest here, I don't think a beefier Switch would matter. When after all, the Switch is foremost a system that is a handheld. So I don't think it would make a difference. I could be wrong though.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
They won't use the 32 GB card, they will go the download route if they need to, the game will probably have a lot more compressed and downgraded assets.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
They can get the file size down tremendously if they resize all textures since they wouldn't need the high res stuff anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta wonder how that will work with their cartridge size?
I hope they do it digital only for now, and maybe in a year, after all the patches, release a final cartridge version so it's not pointless.

Well I am not that surprised you see folks I had a Nvidia shield & you were able to buy the Witcher 3 to download & play on that to the hard drive I don't think it was streaming & the specs of the Nvidia Shield is similar if not the same as the Switch, so there ya go.

Now if the could get steam cloud gaming on the Switch too would be good but maybe that's Xbox surprise. See ya on the Xbox thread

Are You sure it wasn't streaming?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
MK11 is using higher GPU clocks than regular, so its very possible that Witcher 3 will also use higher clocks than regular.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Square Enix did use a 32GB card on a Switch Launch game, I think that it is unlikely that Nintendo would publish The Witcher 3.

I feel if Nintendo is not publishing it will be a 16GB card with required download. The game probably does not run above 720P in docked mode so the textures could be resized to match and audio compressed. even so I don't think it will all fit on a 16GB card.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Not with the DLC, at least.

I'm not really a fan of having to dl something for a game you bought at retail with a cart, but having the base game on cart and the DLC episodes downloadable would be an acceptable compromise.

And that's only because the maingame is meaty as heck already.

Though Nintendo should just take the hit and supply CDPR with 32GB carts ... best if they also take over publishing duties.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Odd. Mine is 38gb without DLC content and 51gb with. I wouldn't be surprised if they could get there with some compression of the base game though. No need to have high resolution textures on that screen anyway.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
It just hit me. What I'd they completely transform the game to a cell shaded look. Allowing for low resolution assets, and solving a ton of LOD issues in one swoop?

The game already lends itself to a painterly look. Just go full force with it.

I could see the Switch pulling this off..

The-Witcher-3-cel-shaded-1038x576.jpg

JQt87cP_d.jpg

Something like this but with less fidelity.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If I get to play as Link I'll buy that shit again.

Well I am not that surprised you see folks I had a Nvidia shield & you were able to buy the Witcher 3 to download & play on that to the hard drive I don't think it was streaming & the specs of the Nvidia Shield is similar if not the same as the Switch, so there ya go.

Now if the could get steam cloud gaming on the Switch too would be good but maybe that's Xbox surprise. See ya on the Xbox thread

I think the Switch is basically a modified X1, the same SoC in the Shield TV. It's even more powerful.

Last edited:

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Maybe it will work better with the rumoured new Switch-models? Otherwise I could not imagine a game like this running for more than one hour in portable mode on battery.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i bet it's going to be the full game+dlc on cart, no mandatory large update (other than maybe a small day 1 update like many games get, but they won't make a big chunk of the game downloadable)

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Maybe it will work better with the rumoured new Switch-models? Otherwise I could not imagine a game like this running for more than one hour in portable mode on battery.

I mean its expected that games will somehow work better with improved Switch models.
Most demanding Switch games currently can last at least 2 hours currently, I dont think it would be different with Witcher 3.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It just hit me. What I'd they completely transform the game to a cell shaded look. Allowing for low resolution assets, and solving a ton of LOD issues in one swoop?

JQt87cP_d.jpg

I'd been thinking they might have to take that approach and honestly, I'd far prefer a visual re-imagining for games like this than a heavily stripped-back, low-res poor cousin of other experiences. You could still capture the essence of that world without having to push the same style as beefier hardware profiles - plus, it'd be a USP making the game worth buying again for players that already have it. I'd be in for a third run through if it looked something like this.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd been thinking they might have to take that approach and honestly, I'd far prefer a visual re-imagining for games like this than a heavily stripped-back, low-res poor cousin of other experiences. You could still capture the essence of that world without having to push the same style as beefier hardware profiles - plus, it'd be a USP making the game worth buying again for players that already have it. I'd be in for a third run through if it looked something like this.

I guess we know everything in a few days :)
Maybe it's a game that takes advantage from a Switch Pro.
Maybe it's 25 fps with 576p on a normal Switch and 30 fps with 720-900p on a Switch Pro.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Maybe it's 25 fps with 576p on a normal Switch and 30 fps with 720-900p on a Switch Pro.

Indeed. I wouldn't honestly be down for that latter option myself - neat for anyone that has no other way to play it, but a tough sell if you have access to other means.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Square Enix did use a 32GB card on a Switch Launch game, I think that it is unlikely that Nintendo would publish The Witcher 3.

I don't understand how publishing works. When Nintendo publishes a game, do they also get a bigger share of the sales, in which case it's in their interest to publish a high selling potential game like this one? Or do they basically just bear the costs of publishing the game while not gaining anything more than usual?

JQt87cP_d.jpg

I'd play the shit out of any game looking like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. I wouldn't honestly be down for that latter option myself - neat for anyone that has no other way to play it, but a tough sell if you have access to other means.

I'd also prefer the latter option. If the replace the current Switch with a Switch Mini and introduce a Pro Version many would be happy. Some games really need a higher resolution in portable mode (Xenoblade 2, MK11, Wolfenstein 2,..).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

I dont think game will be 25 FPS, it want be locked 30 FPS ofcourse and it will probably have 20-25 dips, but I am sure they targeting 30 FPS in an case with this port.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The good thing is no one has to buy it. I for example am not buying it because I think it's massively overrated. I probably would enjoy it more on the switch than my HIGH END pc, but I'm not playing through this game again.
Gwent was the best part of TW3 so if they released the Gwent game on switch I'd be much more interested.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
This will put the saying "where there is a will, there is a way" to the ultimate test. Probably the first third party port that will shock me to have been announced for the switch.