• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I love my Switch and love TW3, I'm extremely curious on how much they had to change to get it running.

But but some posters said the Switch can't even run GTA5 :(

Switch can only run 8 bit ofc! That's we don't have SNES in the subscription app yet.

/s

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a way more impressive port than DOOM and Wolfenstein even, because it's open world and they can't cut the framerate in half from the PS4/One version.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
im not talking about gta5, im talking about being snarky because people say Switch cant handle SOME games, thats all. I thought you were just using GTA5 as a example of this.
Of course the Switch can't run some games, but I was talking about GTA5 and The Witcher here. You won't see me imply it can run RDR2 any time soon

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
What if this is a "port" as we used to get for the Wii: stylized graphics with the same gameplay..

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the "Switch can't run shit and any PS4 game will look like shit on it" conversation ended with Doom, but hey I guess history repeats itself.

I kind of want this to be a thing (and for it to look and play decent) just to make this conversation end again lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Of course the Switch can't run some games, but I was talking about GTA5 and The Witcher here. You won't see me imply it can run RDR2 any time soon

you do realise Witcher 3 is not GTA5 tho right? Witcher 3 is a ps4/xb1/pc game.

I mean, if you want to use a Witcher game to go with GTA5, then say Witcher 2.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
you do realise Witcher 3 is not GTA5 tho right? Witcher 3 is a ps4/xb1/pc game.

I mean, if you want to use a Witcher game to go with GTA5, then say Witcher 2.
But this thread is about the Witcher 3 obviously coming to Switch?
Edit: and the point was that if it can run the Witcher it can run a less demanding game like GTA5

Nov 3, 2017
I thought the "Switch can't run shit and any PS4 game will look like shit on it" conversation ended with Doom, but hey I guess history repeats itself.

I kind of want this to be a thing (and for it to look and play decent) just to make this conversation end again lol.

Definitely. The naysayers always change tunes from "This will never happen" to "Why would anyone want this when I can play this on my 8k60fps capable PC?"

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Because the game will look and run like shit.
Your opinion but fair enough - however, why does that matter? High end PCs run the game really well, and the PS4 and XO are completely serviceable so there are options available if you don't want to play a lower spec version on Switch.

Why shouldn't company try and do something which might look and perform well enough on a portable console if they want to?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I really doubt DF have played it. And Eurogamer probably isn't under any NDA/embargo, Tom probably just knows about this from inside sources.
Why does he seem to imply in the tweet they they have though. I know he has good sources and they've broken stuff in the past, I just see it being an issue if DF have seen it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
geralt is fuckin' everywhere bro
Ob9Os.gif

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there an audience for this? I mean we all played this game (and loved it)

Why even bother?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
for the record, if its decent, I would totally replay Witcher 3 portable. I just think that is a big if thats all :)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Why even bother?

Because great multiplatform games should be on all platforms wherever possible?

Why not? CDPR are wealthy, they can afford the investment even if it bombs utterly which it obviously won't.

logash

Oct 27, 2017

Why even bother?
I am sure there are a bunch of people who only play Nintendo consoles who want this. Plus there are people who like the idea of portable Witcher. I am not one of these people but I don't pretend they don't exist.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Did you watch the video? What you've just typed there is basically the conclusion they come to - that they keep getting surprised by the quality of the ports and that in the hands of a quality dev it was be very impressive but not impossible to achieve.
The conclusion may be similar, but not the premise. Their whole narrative for more than two years is that the Switch is not designed or meant to get current generation games running or released on it, and that so-called "impossible ports" are done by rogue developers and publishers breaking the bounds of what the machine was meant for. And honestly, I completely disagree. The Switch was designed to get these kinds of games, it's really nothing out of the ordinary. And just like there is excellent technical work optimizing those games for Switch, there is excellent technical work making and optimizing those games for all the other platforms.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
I do not quite understand the purpose of mounting a "similar" PC to the Switch (for comparison purposes with other machines).

In this PC, each of the on-demand optimizations included in the Switch Chip is missing.

And not to mention that by definition these tests can not take into account any changes included directly in the game version code - which will also be infinitely better optimized on a port made years after the release than at the time of the latest updates.

Personally I think it's a pretty reasonable port to be done having a decent team working on it.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How? I guarantee if I changed the wording there'd be no problem.

Yeah, this stuff is such a tightrope. I mean, I do get why a lot of these comments rub people the wrong way. But it's kind of hard to figure out what the appropriate way to phrase things without sounding like you're concern trolling or whatever. Right up front, I think it's cool that they're doing this. I love the Witcher 3. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and if this gets the game in more people's hands who primarily game on Nintendo consoles or if it just allows people a playable, portable version to double dip on then that's fantastic. But at the same time I've played this game on a high end PC, an Xbox One X, and a normal Xbox One. Most of my time has been on PC, but it was already an iffy experience on the base Xbox One. I say this not to troll Switch hardware at all, but honestly my kneejerk reaction to this was a sort of uncomfortable grimace at the thought of what they're going to have to do to get this playable on Switch.

But who knows what wizardry they might pull off? I probably won't buy this port (at least not until it's heavily discounted), but I'm still interested to see it in action.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Why even bother?
I am sure there are a bunch of people who only play Nintendo consoles who want this. Plus there are people who like the idea of portable Witcher. I am not one of these people but I don't pretend they don't exist.
They literally gave this game away with a new card. I got mine with the old GtX 970 which was the most ideal way to play it in 2015 but I got about halfway through and like all RPGs founnd it hard to pick it back up again after being away from it.

Portability helps and to be frank I don't get the need to keep asking people if they want it.

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze shipped over 2 million on Switch and people are looking at a Witcher 3 port like "where's the market, who wants this, what's the point?"

Lmao what in the hell

If you think this release wouldn't clear a million easily you're absolutely insane.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Why even bother?

I'd buy this. My gaming PC is dead and for the few PC games I had I don't care for buying a new one.

Portability is also something that benefits quite some people.

Not gonna lie, I'm just going to use it to play in bed.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If - and that's a big IF, even with TP semi-confirming it - Witcher really comes to the Switch, I might give it another chance. I dropped the original game after a few hours - but on portable form it could be a blast.