• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm the island representative and my sister came along later in time to play on the same Switch. She's been playing much, MUCH more than me, but since she's not the island representative, she can't undertake these sort of missions, like finding the materials to make houses for the new villagers.

How can I overcome this issue? Is there anyway I can make her the island representative instead? I really don't want to completely restart my island.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're out of luck. This is something people have been rightfully angry about regarding this game.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
this thread's gonna get dark. the full answer from my review:

Let's say you plan to buy the game for your entire household and share a single copy with a partner or kids. Like in previous Animal Crossing games, this means all residents become individual characters in a village, and they each get their own house and their own progression track (particularly in paying off Tom Nook's loans for an expanded house). There is no way to create multiple islands on a single console, should people prefer to have a village to themselves. Each new island requires buying an additional copy of the game and an additional Switch, due to how Nintendo has structured AC:NH's save files.

Maybe that structure is fine by you and your likely Switch-sharing posse. Like in older games, this sharing style promotes some cute moments, including the ability to leave surprises on neighbors' virtual front lawns or have the game's non-player characters (NPCs) refer to your real-life friends in conversation. If so, you should still be warned that only one of your island's residents will be treated as a first-class citizen.

Whoever turns the game on first is dubbed the "Resident Representative." Tom Nook immediately puts most of the island's progress on their shoulders. A few early, tutorial-like missions, including building the island's first store and welcoming the island's first new additional residents, can only be accessed by this person. Logically, that makes a certain sense, since all players are able to affect the island. Why would Tom Nook ask each player to build the island's "first" general goods store? But Nintendo didn't come up with alternative island-building ventures for each additional resident who moves in.

Worse, only the Resident Representative can build some of the biggest updates for each island, from a new series of bridges and incline ramps (designed to let players move more quickly through the series' largest villages yet) to sillier customizations like the town's flag and song. If you'd like to contribute to any of this stuff or any of the quirky village-building missions (particularly an early mission that revolves around inviting a "celebrity" to your island), secondary players will have to coordinate in real life with the Resident Representative.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it gets better after the first couple of weeks, once all of the tutorial stuff is done, but in the meantime there's no solution.

nintendo really should've just given each account their own island, but money I guess

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
You can't do anything. Primary account is the only one that can do those tasks.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
This happened to me. The only "work around" (without restarting) I could think of is changing the appearance of your character to be her. Just artificially change everything about your character to be her. Maybe even relocate your houses if you care about it. Then when she plays, she logs in using your account. When you play, you use hers.

It's ridiculous.

I didn't do this, so unfortunately my partner just missed out on doing the missions. Even though they were the main person playing the game that I just setup.

We love sharing the island, but I wish we could share responsibilities (or even just hand over the role altogether).

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
The only consolation i can give you, is that this would matter less after the first 2/3 weeks; once you open up majority of the first player locked events. Of course, if you want to build bridges/ inclines, only the first player can do this.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One suggestion I have that may or may not be viable (someone else can chime in if there's a hitch to this I'm not thinking of) but maybe you can do a flip-flop of your villagers? Like, you can change your character's looks and gender in the game. So she'll essentially just play as your character, and you hers. Name's can't be changed though.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Well she's not the island rep, so obviously she doesn't get given the island rep duties. (You can just swap villagers I guess. You play her account and she can play yours.)

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You can't, as all others have said.

I will say, I'm a second player myself and this gets to be less of an issue later in the game. I still can't relocate houses or place bridges/inclines... but that's about it I think?
If she wants all the control you will either need to restart the game, or wait for Nintendo.... to not do anything about it.

Oct 25, 2017
But you don't understand, that's the way it's supposed to be played. It's very fun having no control over whether or not you get your own experience, and being forced into playing a limited version of the game. Players don't know what they want, so they have to be shown how fun it is.

If it's not absolutely clear: /s

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I don't understand how some people say that this game can compete for GOTY when things like this happen.

Nintendo really just doesn't care. Buying another switch is the "solution".

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it's literally like they finally got local multiplayer to work and then were too excited about it to drop the feature when the rest of the game design made sharing a town stupid

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm the island representative and my sister came along later in time to play on the same Switch. She's been playing much, MUCH more than me, but since she's not the island representative, she can't undertake these sort of missions, like finding the materials to make houses for the new villagers.

How can I overcome this issue? Is there anyway I can make her the island representative instead? I really don't want to completely restart my island.
It's really not a big deal. It's only at the beginning, mainly activating the task to get furniture for those three houses. She can still gather them, but you have to be the one talking to Nook.

A simple solution: She invites your character to play with her in the Nook app, shake the controller to switch leader, and do the stuff with your character, then switch back.

Done.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Play local multiplayer with the flag app, which can be done with one person and the joy cons, have her drop the stuff, shake the controller to pass the flag to your character, and have your character place it/deposit it. It's annoying but not hard to work around for the small handful of places where it's an issue

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This game alone has made me hate Nintendo. Hope you overcome this better than me OP.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Way around this is for her to play as you. I usually drop stuff I need at my girlfriend's house, sign in as her, do what is needed then go back to my account.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, those intro missions aren't even that interesting and they're misleading about how the game actually works. You only build villager houses/furniture those first three times, and the rest you just lay down plots for them to move in and then ask Tom Nook to relocate them if you need to. (and you might even wanna get rid of those first 3 houses as soon as you can since they usually have crappy furniture)

There's workaround to perform Island Representative tasks while playing as another villager, but it is pretty annoying (par for the course for Animal Crossing, I guess). If you have two controllers (or you can split the joy cons if you're able to), you can use the "Call Resident" feature to call in your Island Representative character to play alongside with and temporarily switch to them in order to do stuff like build bridges or relocate houses.

Good news is that I'm pretty sure all players can do stuff like terraform, lay down paths and change the town tune, so no need to switch profiles for that.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
If it makes any difference, this was a concern my wife and I had starting the game. I started the island, but she puts in more hours than I do. After the "tutorial" section of the game where Nook gives you tasks, the rest of the game opens up, and both players can pretty much do the same thing (minus building bridges, and stairs I think). Both get access to the island designer options (such as building roads, rivers, and land), and customization features. Both players end up having a different set of recipes, and different inventories, so it's still a collaborative effort to decorate the island. It's still stupid, and I'm not condoning the way this thing is set up, but it turned out to be a non-issue for us in the end.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

Every single Nintendo game would benefit from having a single normal person mostly unrelated to the project present in dev meetings solely dedicated to pointing out insane Nintendo-like solutions to non-existent problems.

There's no reason this needs to be an issue outside of fuck you, it's Nintendo.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yea, this has angered me too. But the game is selling millions. Nintendo has NO incentive to improve.
Animal Crossing actually is one of the few series where they respond to feedback pretty well. It probably won't be fixed in this iteration, but you can probably expect to see them address this in the next one like they did with skintone selection.

It's pretty idiotic that they keep making these mistakes either way, especially with how heavily they were touting the co-op.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's not a big deal as it seems. Once you're done with with the tutorial portions of the opening couple of weeks and have your buildings, bridges and inclines where you want them there's no real difference between players.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, this has angered me too. But the game is selling millions. Nintendo has NO incentive to improve.
Well yeah it's working. People defend them and those who hate this stupidity will either stop playing the game, which is easier said than done if it's your kids playing, or buy another Switch and another copy of the game, like I did.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Playing with my partner and can confirm it sucks. She's more into the game than I am but my account is primary so it holds back her progress when I don't log on.

So stupid.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is there a technical reason why, or just because?
I assume it's "just because".
They want to control how one player works through the tutorial, there's no thought put into how the second player starts, Nook just tells you to talk to player one.

It makes no sense why you can't just BOTH be the rep afterwards though. Why can't I make a bridge? I can literally destroy cliffs and reduce the island to mostly water in minutes, but dare I ask to put a bridge down?

alcheim

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
One funny/annoying thing about this is that the other islanders can't "finish" the game (and unlock the terraforming stuff) until after the main island representative finishes.