• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listen, I get that he's all business, but Tom Nook isn't the type of person to just let things go. He's a mobster. Selling you vacation packages is akin to being scammed.

We need a new character who doesn't represent money, wealth, power. We need someone who isn't the japanese raccoon version of Mike Bloomberg.

Wikipedia even has a great excerpt describing the reception of this character. He's just bad.

Tom Nook has received mixed reception since his appearance in Animal Crossing. IGN listed him as the ninth most-wanted character to appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They describe him as devious, diabolical, and sinister, commenting that while he may not be a good fighter due to being from a video game without any fighting, they would enjoy seeing him get beaten up.[7] Another article by IGN compares a talking baton given to the protagonist of Major Minor's Majestic March to Nook, calling it the second only to Nook in annoyance.[8] GameSpy listed Tom Nook as one of their favourite bosses; editor Brian Altano specified that he passionately loves to hate Nook, stating that while he provides appreciated services to the small village, he keeps his reality grounded in that he lives in Nook's town, not his own.[9] UGO.com ranked him the fifth best Animal Crossing character, stating that while Mr. Resetti was an irritant, Tom Nook was a jerk. They added that they love to hate him, jokingly suggesting that he was a "kingpin".[10]

en.wikipedia.org

Tom Nook - Wikipedia

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Nook is merciful. He cares for his villiage. Only want's the best.

Paid for by Nook, Inc.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tom Nook has been out here for years, giving work opportunities and interest free loans to recent immigrants to help them gain a foothold in their local community. He is a paragon of moral responsibility.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it but we all know Timmy or Tommy will take over should Tom step down. Nothing will change.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Nook gives you an interest free loan, with no repayment deadlines. Imagine if you could find a deal that good in the real world.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
He is a tanooki i don't know how we would even go about this. What if the other merchants take his side, they run the whole economy?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tom Nook is obviously a billionaire

this is the discussion we need to have in today's political climate

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go, another Blathers Bro who thinks they have the best idea on how to run a town.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't he donate like 90% of his income for good causes?
Yes

f18cc6af-fc88-4cae-9rnkx9.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Obviously these capitalistic fucks will be the first to die in the inevitable revolution, but when we talk about the 1%, they aren't the only ones hellbent on enslaving humankind for the almighty dollar. Others prefer to put on a friendly face to the proletariat while secretly stabbing them in the back.

I am of course talking about Tom Nook.

That raccoon turncoat whose smile reeks of Orwellian glee as he profits off the blood and sweat of his fellow animals by serving in a profession even more evil than being a (metaphorical) pig: a landlord.

I'm so pleased that this is an article.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tom Nook gives you an interest free loan, with no repayment deadlines. Imagine if you could find a deal that good in the real world.

My theory is that Tom Nook doesn't give a repayment deadline because he doesn't know when he's gonna need a favor from you.

But when that day comes. You cannot refuse. There is no loan extension.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Nook has to be one of the most misrepresented characters in gaming history. The man builds you a house, gives you a loan with no background or credit check, and then gives you as much time as you need to pay off your debt. There's no interest, not late fees, and no deadlines. Tom Nook is a genuine philanthropist. He should be celebrated. We need more billionaires like Tom Nook!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
We need a new character who doesn't represent money, wealth, power. We need someone who isn't the japanese raccoon version of Mike Bloomberg.
en.wikipedia.org

Tom Nook - Wikipedia

If Racoons are not to be trusted then let's hire this guy.

Nook being largely benevolent in-game compared to the fan depiction of him as a mobster or loan shark is one of my favorite things about Animal Crossing, to be honest.

Honestly this just makes me think that orphanage is really bad with handling money.
They have spent all that money in colored feathers.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Tom Nook is peak daddy. I don't want him to leave his seat of power because I want to marry into it. Stop oppressing me, Era.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's literally giving away islands, for free.

I mean sure he's locking the settlers into life long crippling debt, but still... a free island!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
he's a benevolent raccoon offering you the best deals imaginable for homes

nook rocks.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
If you badmouth Tom Nook, you are filth.

If you badmouth Isabelle, you are scum.

The only character acceptable to badmouth is Kapp'n, for his tendency to make female passengers uncomfortable.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
If you made 7,000 bells an hour from the time Christ was born until now you'd still have less bells than Tom Nook.

Tom Nooks should not exist

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Doesn't he donate like 90% of his income for good causes?

Doesn't matter since the only way he receives however much he spends on philanthropy is simply value he has extracted from his work force.

If he were truly a philanthropist, he would pay his workers the value that they create and give them agency over what to do with the money they have end.

Send Tom Nook to the guillotine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nook being largely benevolent in-game compared to the fan depiction of him as a mobster or loan shark is one of my favorite things about Animal Crossing, to be honest.

Listen, there's nothing benevolent about him. There has to be alterior motives involved.

First of all, where is Nook getting this money to loan you?