• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
170$ flat rate for any seat in the building other than platnum which goes between 300 to 800$ is fucking ridiculous for a supposed anti-establishment band

Literally every seat at the Vancouver show is 170$ minimum that's ridiculous for nosebleed seats

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck concert tickets being normalized at $1xx.xx a ticket. Why is Tom bitching? This shit is expensive, why doesn't he understand? Who the fuck is Stanning for these ticket prices for concerts these days? It's ridiculous.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I get heartburn paying more than $30 for a show. I think that arena shows suck ass and I don't think I'd enjoy myself, but I'd have thought about going on a lark for $50. Clearly they don't need me in the door, but I'm surprised at how many people think $125 is a decent price for a show. I used to go to 20-30 shows a year and I'd be shocked if I spent more than $200 on covers in those years.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
"This show is too expensive, a lot of people will be priced out of going" is entitlement I guess, what a controversial opinion?

I saw the Rolling Stones, one of the most important rock bands of all time, for less than what Rage is charging. Another poster mentioned seeing Macca for less. It is a perfectly legitimate opinion to think it's a high price.
Fuck concert tickets being normalized at $1xx.xx a ticket. Why is Tom bitching? This shit is expensive, why doesn't he understand? Who the fuck is Stanning for these ticket prices for concerts these days? It's ridiculous.
ummm... Tom isn't bitching. He's dealing with losers that he isn't even obligated to engage but for whatever reason still is. Rage hasn't released an album in 20 years and run the jewels gives their shit away for free. I guess working your butt off for no compensation is fair.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Rage can't do literally anything without their politics being used as a stick to beat them with, it's ridiculous.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly okay with high ticket prices (I look over at my $25 1989 Who ticket in amazement), but it's still the fees that make me angry, especially fees for individual tickets (not transactions), and even more so if they have the audacity to call them "convenience fees."

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Both RATM and RTJ are huge and i don't think the price is THAT bad. Most of their fans from back in the day are now middle class with the money to spare to pay these prices, they aren't targeting the disgruntled youth with hardly any money in their pocket.

It is inevitable that the protest band years later becomes this. I still like them, I saw them for free back in 2010 so I am happy to just not play the ridiculous prices they charge now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Ticket prices have increased over the years. My guess is due to music streaming. Musicians don't make the type of money they use to. It's all through tour now and they have a crew and label that takes a piece of the pie.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
If I was going to be anywhere where they are touring, I would gladly pay $125 for tickets to them and RtJ, doesnt really seem to high. Just wish they would do more to keep tickets from being scalped, so much markup there usually.

they were never that band, i saw them in 93 at lolla and then in 96 headline that same venue and it was way more money than any other show i went to that year, combined probably.
The Lollapalooza prices are going to be inflated because it is a festival. 96 prices, I dont know. But when I saw RAtM in 99 the price was $25 with a $1.50 going to charity. They also sold t-shirts that had a portion going to the Free Mumia Abu-Jamal fund at the same price as other t-shirts at the time, $20-$25. They weren't overpriced at all. Godsmack tickets were $18.50 that same year, before their first album even came put nationally and at a smaller venue. And the following year Roger Waters tickets were $56.

I would say they did a pretty good job at keeping prices low.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Not every bad can be fugazi and charge like £10-£15 for a ticket. Hell, if they reunited I don't even know if they would do that again.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I understand why people are upset at the high price of Rage Against the Machine tickets.

I get that it seems hypocritical giving all that the band stands for politically.

At the same time, they've raised like three million for charity so far through the ticket sales. That kinda fits their band ethos I'd argue. Robbing from the rich/middle class/working poor to give to the ones who really need it. And it's not really robbery, it's a concert ticket. Ya don't need to buy it.

Also, anyone with a Spotify account could download the entire RATM discography, play it on repeat nonstop for 6 months and the band might see a couple bucks in their pocket from it at most. They gotta get paid somehow.

I'd describe my self as a casual Rage fan at absolute best so I don't know why I'm even offering my two-bit hot take, guess I'm just okay with seeing artists get paid more in general.

Dec 24, 2017
How much do people pay for NBA tickets?

Depends. I used to be able to get great seats for $150 for 2 at the United Center for when the Nuggets came to play the Bulls in 2005. Recently, $150 will get me one club level ticket.

My partner surprised me with Rage tickets for Valentine's. And although the ticket price does worry me, she also works for Ginormous Law Firm, and I honestly think in many ways her income has changed the proportional impact of many expenses for her.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why people are upset at the high price of Rage Against the Machine tickets.

I get that it seems hypocritical giving all that the band stands for politically.

At the same time, they've raised like three million for charity so far through the ticket sales. That kinda fits their band ethos I'd argue. Robbing from the rich/middle class/working poor to give to the ones who really need it. And it's not really robbery, it's a concert ticket. Ya don't need to buy it.

Also, anyone with a Spotify account could download the entire RATM discography, play it on repeat nonstop for 6 months and the band might see a couple bucks in their pocket from it at most. They gotta get paid somehow.

I'd describe my self as a casual Rage fan at absolute best so I don't know why I'm even offering my two-bit hot take, guess I'm just okay with seeing artists get paid more in general.

I just think it's wild to not have any price variance.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me started on Pearl Jam. I got in queue online to buy the tickets for San Diego the second it opened, and shit was all sold out except for some bleacher seats behind the fucking stage. I looked up the resale price, and they were like $2k.
I wanted to see Idles in berlin and then saw they were the support act for Pearl Jam instead. Wasn't that disappointed in a long time.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the charity goes to good charities that use the money and don't pocket too much

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has taught me that people in the US think that Concert tickets costing 100+ dollars is normal. I've paid that much only twice, once for Rammstein which I'm going to this summer and once last year for Metallica. Normal ticket prices in Europe are 50 euro or less in my experience. Don't think I've ever paid more than 100 unless I'm going to a festival. That's insane.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
This thread has taught me that people in the US think that Concert tickets costing 100+ dollars is normal. I've paid that much only twice, once for Rammstein which I'm going to this summer and once last year for Metallica. Normal ticket prices in Europe are 50 euro or less in my experience. Don't think I've ever paid more than 100 unless I'm going to a festival. That's insane.
It's not a normal price. Like I've seen dozens upon dozens of acts from locals to pop superstars and haven't spent more than $100~ a ticket for anyone aside from Beyonce level performers or multi-day festivals.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I don't think people are overlooking it. This is a rage reunion though which is much bigger news than a rtj concert. It's basically a welcome back Zack tour. He had a feature on a run the jewels song but I don't think he's performed live with rage in years. Also Rtj last album was basically free/crowdfunded to those not aware.

youtu.be

Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes (And Count To F**k) feat. Zack de la Rocha (Official Video)

Download/Stream "Run The Jewels 2": https://RunTheJewels.lnk.to/RTJ2IDBuy RTJ2 vinyl: https://shop.massappeal.com"When Run The Jewels sent me this track, I k...
That's true but I don't think they're taking that into account when discussing the price. You're basically paying for 2 headlining groups that could charge that much alone.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Did fugazi ever play huge stadium tours with huge staff working under them?

Not as far as I am aware, they did lots and lots of small shows though. Like over 100 in a year. Kept the costs low and, more importantly, allowed people from all walks of life to see them live.

I also believe they turned down big festivals because of the price.

Oct 25, 2017
So the ticket prices were ok if you got good seats, but way overpriced if you got bad seats since all the tickets were the same price

190 Canadian in Toronto

Guns N Roses with Smashing Pumpkins opening is at a larger venue and the cheapest ticket is 85 to be way up high

I suppose Rage tickets are about the same as Tool tickets in the same venue

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Not as far as I am aware, they did lots and lots of small shows though. Like over 100 in a year. Kept the costs low and, more importantly, allowed people from all walks of life to see them live.

I also believe they turned down big festivals because of the price.

Fugazi was always a very DIY band and was never as large as rage was either. Rage was selling platinum records and selling out stadiums in the 90s, let alone now.

Even now, if Fugazi reunited, I don't think they'd be selling out shows like this since they have a very dedicated cult fan base.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Musicians, at least on major labels, never did make much from sales. Take what they make, deduct costs of tour buses, workers, music videos (if they make them), assistants, agents, lawyers, accountants, etc. Take what's left and split it between the band members. It tends not to come out to as much as a lot of people think. Touring and merch has always been a band's real bread and butter. Having said that, the last concert I went to was Weird Al ages ago and I think my ticket was $40, so I couldn't help but balk at some of these current prices.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Man, in the 25 years since I went to my first concert to see nin and Bowie for $36 I have not increased my income and inflation has not made any changes so the band I last saw for $25 24 years ago charging 5 times more money especially considering how little fuel costs have changed and I doubt an arena costs more today than that empty field did 2.5 decades ago... not to mention how much everyone is still making on radio and physical sales as there haven't been any changes there either. How greedy!

And they are supposedly anti-capitalism but actually since they aren't all living under a bridge playing for free and walking to each city what a load of horse shit.

Boo these posers!

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
It always blows my mind that people will pay hundreds of dollars for just 3 or so hours of entertainment.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It always blows my mind that people will pay hundreds of dollars for just 3 or so hours of entertainment.
A good gig can be a life-affirming experience. I'm not suggesting the current crazy prices are "right," but I understand why people pay them. There are a select few bands I'd pay much more than a couple of hundred pounds to see.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
A good gig can be a life-affirming experience. I'm not suggesting the current crazy prices are "right," but I understand why people pay them. There are a select few bands I'd pay much more than a couple of hundred pounds to see.

I guess growing up going to local punk and indie shows skews my perspective a bit. I go to shows to sing along. The bigger shows I go to nowadays are mostly people just taking selfies or filming the whole show.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Musicians, at least on major labels, never did make much from sales. Take what they make, deduct costs of tour buses, workers, music videos (if they make them), assistants, agents, lawyers, accountants, etc. Take what's left and split it between the band members. It tends not to come out to as much as a lot of people think. Touring and merch has always been a band's real bread and butter. Having said that, the last concert I went to was Weird Al ages ago and I think my ticket was $40, so I couldn't help but balk at some of these current prices.

I saw Weird Al over the summer. He had a full orchestra backing him up. Tickets were like $80 Canadian. Felt like a bargain

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Man, in the 25 years since I went to my first concert to see nin and Bowie for $36 I have not increased my income and inflation has not made any changes so the band I last saw for $25 24 years ago charging 5 times more money
36 bucks in 1995 would be 61 bucks now. Maybe your income increased, but wages have not kept up with cost of living for a lot of people so I don't know why you'd use that as an argument, if they have for you though congrats on not having to be poor?
And they are supposedly anti-capitalism but actually since they aren't all living under a bridge playing for free and walking to each city what a load of horse shit.
Can you quote anyone who said this or are you willing to admit it never happened? It's so weird, you're posting with an amount of vitriol like someone personally attacked you when we're talking about an already wealthy band and wanting people who aren't economically privileged to be able to see a show, I don't understand wanting to go out of your way to fight against that. That's like raging in support of the machine haha

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine one problem is that they have basically no stops or tour dates in the South or Southeast, aside from 1 show in North Carolina and 1 show in Texas. Why does Dover, Delaware get a show when they are ignoring Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Austin, etc?

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue, honestly, is scalpers.
They could sell tickets at 15$ all that would happen is seeing most of them on the secondary market.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Point of Comparison
36 bucks in 1995 would be 61 bucks now. Maybe your income increased, but wages have not kept up with cost of living for a lot of people so I don't know why you'd use that as an argument, if they have for you though congrats on not having to be poor?

Can you quote anyone who said this or are you willing to admit it never happened? It's so weird, you're posting with an amount of vitriol like someone personally attacked you when we're talking about an already wealthy band and wanting people who aren't economically privileged to be able to see a show, I don't understand wanting to go out of your way to fight against that. That's like raging in support of the machine haha
Nah, it's the incessant whining about concert ticket prices like people are entitled to go to shows or something. I was 16 when I bought those tickets with money I earned from working a minimum wage job. If a person has not increased their wage in 25 years they aren't trying. Go learn a trade. If the price was too high the tix wouldn't sell.

You find me someone who isn't "hypocritical" to some degree... I'll be over here waiting. Without holding my breath. Why does Rage have to hold theirselves to a higher standard than anyone else? Do we wish/celebrate gangster rappers would/do "keep it real" by shooting people who look at them wrong? It's art, a fucking product not water. You can live without it same as I can live without an NSX.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The last time Rage played in my city was in 1993 and I didn't get to go. I'm happily paying $125 for this.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Nah, it's the incessant whining about concert ticket prices like people are entitled to go to shows or something.
"I think the prices are too high" = incessant whining, okay. That is ridiculous.
I was 16 when I bought those tickets with money I earned from working a minimum wage job. If a person has not increased their wage in 25 years they aren't trying. Go learn a trade. If the price was too high the tix wouldn't sell.
Also ridiculous and amazingly out of touch with reality. You're giving the "just pull yourself up by the bootstraps" argument and I don't know if you're even aware of it. Not everyone can "go learn a trade" and if they did the market for trades would be destroyed and you'd be making jack shit haha, I assure you you haven't stumbled upon the solution for wealth inequality.

You find me someone who isn't "hypocritical" to some degree... I'll be over here waiting.
Nobody said people aren't hypocritical, but that doesn't mean it's somehow a good thing. Generally when we are able to we try to reduce the amount of hypocrisy, not endorse it.
Do we wish/celebrate gangster rappers would/do "keep it real" by shooting people who look at them wrong?
Why is that the comparison that came to your mind?