• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
that to me doesn't seem like they're gonna take Spidey out of the MCU, but instead it sounds like he's going to be in both cinematic universes.

yeah hope so. Feige is pretty deliberate with his wording here I think. as far as he's concerned he's not forced to acknowledge whatever movies Sony puts Holland in, he can just operate on the perspective that it's a separate continuity and keep doing his thing.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Tom watched Amazing Spider Man 2 and Venom and knew what he had to do.

Holland seems like a genuinely great guy who loves playing Spider-Man. Frankly, I get this vibe off of basically every MCU actor. Super happy for him to continue to stay in this universe and I can't wait to see what MCU characters show up in Spider-Man 3

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
"Punished Goku, post: 25085837, member: 3708"]
But did they say what happens after these two movies? I really hope they're not setting him up to somehow leave the MCU and go into the Sony Spidey universe.
[/QUOTE]
I think this 2 movie deal is just to buy them more time to hash out a better, more long term contract for use of Spiderman in future movies. Which may or may not happen given how their last contract negotiations went.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Meh, Sony got fucked as usual.

They should have made Disney cut them in on merchandising for whatever % of the movie they gave to Disney.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
One of the cut scenes from far from home

had Parker wearing Tony's glasses, and he asked aunt May how they looked, and then she mentioned that he would grow into them, multiple meanings with that

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Sony his Spider-Man career would have ended in two movies tops.

He did what was best for his interests, but also what most people wanted, to continue his story in the MCU.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think this 2 movie deal is just to buy them more time to hash out a better, more long term contract for use of Spiderman in future movies. Which may or may not happen given how their last contract negotiations went.
I still think this deal being only 2 films is mainly to stay within the remainder of Tom Holland's existing contract.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Holland was the one person out of everyone in the deal being torn between two worlds and not having much control over the situation because it was two companies fighting over money.

Pretty cool that he took the initiative to talk to both parties to bring them back to the table since it really does start to become about egos at a certain point since they both have financial incentives to go their separate ways, but they could also make a shit ton of money together, but it means working together and compromising a bit.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_oe1fy9kK3N1vyac05o1_500.gif

Way to go Tom!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Holland was the one person out of everyone in the deal being torn between two worlds and not having much control over the situation because it was two companies fighting over money.

Pretty cool that he took the initiative to talk to both parties to bring them back to the table since it really does start to become about egos at a certain point since they both have financial incentives to go their separate ways, but they could also make a shit ton of money together, but it means working together and compromising a bit.
Holland made it pretty clear that he was siding with Marvel lol.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

They should have made Disney cut them in on merchandising for whatever % of the movie they gave to Disney.

Sony has no leverage, whatsoever, to request a percentage of merch. Disney would simply walk away like they did originally, an continue making billion dollar movies w/o Spider-Man.

Sony isn't getting fucked. They are still getting Marvel's proven production at a discount - will still be benefiting tangentially from association with the biggest franchise in the planet, and will still be making huge profits from solo Spiderman films.

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sony has no leverage, whatsoever, to request a percentage of merch. Disney would simply walk away like they did originally, an continue making billion dollar movies w/o Spider-Man.

Except they do....Spider-Man himself, do you think Marvel/Disney doesn't care about the character? Like the entire reason this whole thing started int he first place was because Marvel (Kevin really) wanted Spidey in the Avengers movies, it wasn't Sony who went to them and said "Hey lets put Spidey in your movies."

After Far From Home it's obvious that Marvel has a story and they intended to keep using him for their movies.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I never understand these takes. It's pretty obvious that the MCU/Sony Spider-Man success is in a huge part thanks to Feige being at the helm as producer.
I am sure both sides had their say, but I also bet that Feige and the Russos were probably some of the most involved in Holland's actual casting as well.

Giving 25% of the profits to them so that they continue to produce excellent movies that are received well both critically and commercially was absolutely a good deal for Sony as well, whether they want to admit it or not.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Except they do....Spider-Man himself, do you think Marvel/Disney doesn't care about the character? Like the entire reason this whole thing started int he first place was because Marvel (Kevin really) wanted Spidey in the Avengers movies, it wasn't Sony who went to them and said "Hey lets put Spidey in your movies."

After Far From Home it's obvious that Marvel has a story and they intended to keep using him for their movies.

Did you forget that Disney has just walked away from negotiations, Merchandising in tow?

If you look at the financials, it's crystal clear that the value , from Disney's perspective, of having Spider-Man in MCU is dwarfed by their merch business.

Kevin Feige wanting Spider-Man in movies is not going to convince Disney shareholders to be cool giving 25% of their Spider merch away- that would be over $300million dollars in a year- that's twice as much what a Spidey movie costs to make, and probably more than what Disney's profit will be per movie. That would be nonsensical.

What leverage does Sony have to make Disney throw this amount of money away, when Disney can simply move on from the character is make billions uninterrupted?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I never understand these takes. It's pretty obvious that the MCU/Sony Spider-Man success is in a huge part thanks to Feige being at the helm as producer.
I am sure both sides had their say, but I also bet that Feige and the Russos were probably some of the most involved in Holland's actual casting as well.

Giving 25% of the profits to them so that they continue to produce excellent movies that are received well both critically and commercially was absolutely a good deal for Sony as well, whether they want to admit it or not.

I'm not saying that Feige didn't help, but look at Venom, look at the Spiderverse movie, both made a ton of money and neither had Marvel involved. Spiderverse was a legit great movie as well.

Same goes with the Raimi Spidey movies, lots of people still think the first two are the best Spiderman movies out there.

Sony could have tapped some great writers and a director to helm new Spiderman movies and it could have been great, we'll never know. The Feige movies main benefit is that they can tie into the MCU and make use of other Marvel things both within themselves and then having Spidey join other charaters in their movies.

To me Disney had more to lose, not Sony. If Sony hired a good writer and director and the next Spidey movie did well with that they wouldn't have really lost anything by not having the deal, but Disney would have lost being able to finish his story in the MCU and his place that they are pushing him toward (The new Iron Man), which is a damn big role to fill, it would have left a fairly noticeable gap in the MCU and their movies stories to suddenly not have Spidey in them or mentioned anywhere. I mean you saw how many fans were vocal about the whole thing.

Did you forget that Disney has just walked away from negotiations, Merchandising in tow?

If you look at the financials, it's crystal clear that the value , from Disney's perspective, of having Spider-Man in MCU is dwarfed by their merch business.

Kevin Feige wanting Spider-Man in movies is not going to convince Disney shareholders to be cool giving 25% of their Spider merch away- that would be over $300million dollars in a year- that's twice as much what a Spidey movie costs to make, and probably more than what Disney's profit will be per movie. That would be nonsensical.

What leverage does Sony have to make Disney throw this amount of money away, when Disney can simply move on from the character is make billions uninterrupted?

I thought it was Sony that walked away?

Also the fact that Spiderman is the most famous Marvel character of all time, dwarfing about any other hero when it comes to popularity.

It wouldn't have been uninterrupted at all, there'd be a fairly decent hole left with how they were taking his character in Far From Home and the role he's going toward, as I said above.

Maybe not give Sony 25% of merch but at least something to make it more of a fair deal.

I mean merch alone for Spidey is over 1 billion a year last I checked, that's a massive amount of money and Sony sees 0 of that.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
You can say Spiderverse until you are blue in the face. But there doesn't seem to be any indication that Sony takes their success as a sign to bring them to the "real" movie table. Not even execs take animation seriously. Did anyone from the verse films get signed up for a live action film yet?

Venom was just audiences thinking they were watching an MCU film because Venom and Spider-Man are so closely related.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that Feige didn't help, but look at Venom, look at the Spiderverse movie, both made a ton of money and neither had Marvel involved. Spiderverse was a legit great movie as well.

Same goes with the Raimi Spidey movies, lots of people still think the first two are the best Spiderman movies out there.

Sony could have tapped some great writers and a director to helm new Spiderman movies and it could have been great, we'll never know. The Feige movies main benefit is that they can tie into the MCU and make use of other Marvel things both within themselves and then having Spidey join other charaters in their movies.

To me Disney had more to lose, not Sony. If Sony hired a good writer and director and the next Spidey movie did well with that they wouldn't have really lost anything by not having the deal, but Disney would have lost being able to finish his story in the MCU and his place that they are pushing him toward (The new Iron Man), which is a damn big role to fill, it would have left a fairly noticeable gap in the MCU and their movies stories to suddenly not have Spidey in them or mentioned anywhere. I mean you saw how many fans were vocal about the whole thing.

I thought it was Sony that walked away?

Also the fact that Spiderman is the most famous Marvel character of all time, dwarfing about any other hero when it comes to popularity.

It wouldn't have been uninterrupted at all, there'd be a fairly decent hole left with how they were taking his character in Far From Home and the role he's going toward, as I said above.

Maybe not give Sony 25% of merch but at least something to make it more of a fair deal.

I mean merch alone for Spidey is over 1 billion a year last I checked, that's a massive amount of money and Sony sees 0 of that.

No Disney pulled out because Sony passed on a 75/25 offer and a 50/50 offer and pushed the 5% deal.

Sony see's zero % of that merch because Sony sold that away (not actually 0, Disney does pay Sony royalties) Disney has so reason to give that back to Sony, because Disney is going To make a ton of money off of Spider-Man merch regardless of whether or not they are involved in the movies. There's nothing unfair about this. This is an arrangement Sony agreed to years before talks about Spider-Man collaboration.

Spider-Man's popularity doesn't mean it makes sense for Disney to give away more than they get back in return. They can and do capitalize on Spider-Man's popularity without movies. Even with this new deal Disney stands to makes a less from these Spider-Man movies than from their other films and ventures. It doesn't make sense for them to spend more than they need to.

The deal is perfectly fair as it is.

The idea that Disney had more to lose doesn't jive with reality. The MCU was a massive success with or without Spider-Man. Financially, Spider-Man movies were netting Disney less than Ant-Man movies. B-list characters bring more growth to Disney's merch business than Spider-Man --who basically tops-out every year effortlessly. Sony on the other hand has Spider-Man IP has its star player. The success of the studio hinges on successful Spider-Man movies.

Last edited: