• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
You Americans have the weirdest ideas.. and your "so what if the only ones using it are we? Everyone else is wrong" is a cute high-school attitude :D

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I will never understand a date formate that isn't dd/mm/yyyy. It just makes sense. It goes from smallest to largest.

I understand YYYYMMDD - it is great for sorting files.

I also recently found out that many Americans aren't familiar with "A" format papers despite the rest of the world using the system.
800px-A_size_illustration2.svg.png

What the? So what do they do?

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Usually, when we are uncertain about the date, we ask those around us: "What day is it today" or "What's today's date". To which those around us will most likely respond with the day. It makes sense that the day is placed first for that reason. DD/MM/YYYY is the most sensible format, and the fact that we always give preference to the day when confirming dates speaks to that.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hate it whenever this comes up, like that first tweet "there are months after December?"
People act so stupid and obnoxious about it like the rest of the world are the ones who are wrong

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
TIL day/month/year format is useless despite everyone who uses it having never found it useless for telling what day/month/year it is in their lives

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I believe in the US you may refer to "Letter Size" when describing paper sizes.

In Europe, (and pretty much every other international client I've worked with) we use A4, A3 etc.
A4, for example is generic printer paper that you might find in an office; being 210mm x 297mm

Yep which makes sense in a global world where "letter size" has a good chance of being different in different countries because not every country would follow the same rules for their mail.......that's why so many countries use the same system for a bunch of normal things and why I will never understand Americans trying to claim that their unique system for everything is somehow the best and only way it should be done.

And whenever anyone tries to defend the American way of these things with "it's less complicated" I just shake my damn head......dd/mm/yyyy or the A sizes for paper are things that we learn in school in our very first years.......if it's so complicated or confusing why the hell do small kids learn it all no problem in pretty much every other country?

I understand if you're raised a certain way that it will effect how you see things later in life but the level to which Americans will try and defend their way or doing things when no other country on the planet does them that way is insanity. Like do they really think the rest of the world just does it differently to be quirky? It's legit that simpsons meme "Am I wrong?....no it's the rest of the world that's wrong"

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People get confused by this all the time and it's barely worth the surprise just because it happened over Tom Holland's tweet. People can stop taking dumb potshots at each other over this. Ffs.

That said...

(yy)yymmdd is objectively the most logical format, as it preserves order for all dates in numeric form (201231 < 210101 < 210102). When people are naming documents shit like (draft)_v3_311220 I want to gouge my eyes out.

One of the very first things I did when I took over management of my group was to establish yyyy-mm-dd as the correct date format, particularly in document titles. For this very reason.

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep which makes sense in a global world where "letter size" has a good chance of being different in different countries because not every country would follow the same rules for their mail.......that's why so many countries use the same system for a bunch of normal things and why I will never understand Americans trying to claim that their unique system for everything is somehow the best and only way it should be done.
I doesn't bother me, I just found it curious.

A sizes have always seemed ubiquitous since school. In my experience it's pretty common for even non design folk to be familiar with "A4" etc as a concept.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I doesn't bother me, I just found it curious.

A sizes have always seemed ubiquitous since school. In my experience it's pretty common for even non design folk to be familiar with "A4" etc as a concept.
Anyone that has ever worked in an office should know it.

Now that has made me curious: what paper sizes are shown when you print something in america?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Frequent exchange in America apparently:

"Hey bro what's the date"
"Uh it's the sixth"
"But what month is it broooooo? You didn't say and I don't know what month we're in without you telling me!"

If your system is so great how come you don't celebrate July 4th?

This made me laugh so hard holy shit hahaha

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm fairly used to both, but the metric system is of course objectively better. Take e.g. file sorting, it's much easier to get an overview:

2019-09-10
2020-04-11
2020-12-30
2021-01-18

While in imperial...

01-18-2021
04-11-2020
09-10-2019
12-30-2020

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone that has ever worked in an office should know it.

Now that has made me curious: what paper sizes are shown when you print something in america?
I only discovered the differences because I had a private commission from a client in LA, I figured due to the size of the artwork it would be easier to have it printed locally, rather than ship it from the UK.

The printers I used referred to their sizes in inches; e.g 11" x 17".

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy another thread where a bunch of Americans try to convince the rest of the world their way of living is the correct one.
"M/D/Y just makes sense"
"Fahrenheit is more natural"
"Cut dicks are just better"

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Oh boy another thread where a bunch of Americans try to convince the rest of the world their way of living is the correct one.
"M/D/Y just makes sense"
"Fahrenheit is more natural"
"Cut dicks are just better"

I had a nice, snide comment in the works but quoting this is easier.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I like dd/mm in Spanish, but dd/mm spoken out loud in English gives me the creeps mm/dd all the way in English. Do people really say "it's 24 January"? Ew

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As a european I would say that the the best method is the japanese one in this case, I use it on my PC folders all the time.
Americans are still in the wrong here.

Also while i understand the way you write the month first and then the day makes sense in the english language, the way we speak in spanish, italian, french... it makes more sense saying first the day and then the month in a normal conversation, as we say the date in this format ex "12 of March of 2021", and at the same time, I went to an british school and they always spelled the date in the board like this "12th of March 2021"

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Because Month -> Day is better.

You say the day first, I could be anywhere of twelve points in the entire year. Say the month first you have narrowed things down to one discrete chunk of time, then the day targets the exact location in that chunk of time.

I'm usually a proponent of the non-American way when it comes to notation and measurement units, but we got this one right.
Wait that's confusing me lol. No matter which way you say the two, you need to say both to actually know what date your talking about. Like if one person said I'm gonna eat pizza on the 18th and another person said I'm gonna drink lemonade in July, you have 0 clue as to when they're doing it, and to be fair, if you mention the date and not the month, unless you're being purposefully obtuse, you're probably talking about the month we're currently in.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This entire topic is just sad. The examples presented for the supposed superiority of MM/DD/YYYY are... wow.
It's the same debate that has happened with the metric vs. imperial system and fahrenheit vs. celsius/kelvin. There is an objectively better system and people have a personal preference, which is fine.

I don't know why people are only considering events that happen in their immediate temporal vicinity. If someone was to ask about events from your past, events within the last, say, 2-3 years, at what point do you think month is a more important piece of information to convey?

"Hey, remember that assignment last year?"
"Yeah, sure; the one in February?"

Terrible example. In this context, it would be much more appropriate to talk about the content of the assignment instead of the month, particularly if something happened several years ago and multiple assignments fall in a similar time frame. The only reason to even state only the month would be because assignments generally cover a longer timeframe. If anything, it would make more sense to state the relevant due date, i.e. the precise date including day, month and year.

Exact date is needlessly precise for the vast amount of occurrences outsides of a 4-6 week window around now, which is to say, the colossal majority of important events - things outside of that window and therefore 99.999999% occurrences in human history - to be remembered do not need to have date information tacked on.

When did Notre Dame burn down? When was that Iranian general attacked? When did the Oklahoma city bombing happen? When was the Crimea attacked? If you were to convey information about the temporal location of those with minimal reference, does it seem more important to convey date+year, or month+year?

When dates are shortened in articles talking about things in the past, is it DD/YY? No, it's MM/YY, because no one cares about the exact date for most dates. And, since we don't know how far in the future date information we record now will be referred to, it makes infinitely more sense to assume that someone will be interacting with recorded date information at some point between 6weeks-infinity than they will be interacting with that information within the next 6 weeks, of only because the former is a literally infinitely larger span of retrospective reference.

Who decides which dates are important enough that they can be referred to as MM/DD instead of MM/YY? Why is it 9/11, instead of 9/2001? Additionally, naming something with only MM/DD usually implies a yearly recurring event (birthdays, holidays, ...).

Will the attacks last week be the 1/6 attacks or the 1/21 attacks?

Is there some kind of cut-off in the future when the 'name' of an event changes from MM/DD to MM/YY? (or, as you put it, DD/YY, which makes literally no sense whatsoever).

You say the day first, I could be anywhere of twelve points in the entire year. Say the month first you have narrowed things down to one discrete chunk of time, then the day targets the exact location in that chunk of time.

And by saying the month first, it could be anywhere from 28(29), 30 or even 31 points in a given month.

Yes, it does.

1-12 / 1 - 28, 30, 31 / -640000000BC - 2021

Just because there are fewer months than days and years doesn't mean it's the 'smaller' unit and presenting it as that is incredibly disingenuous. As a measurement of time, a month is obviously larger than a day.

The only reason people from the US use MM/DD/YYYY is because it reflects the spoken language. With certain exceptions, of course.
Similarly, DD/MM/YYYY makes more sense in germany, where people say 'vierter januar' (= 04.01.) instead of 'january 4th" (01.04.).
I'm guessing any justification beyond that is just a strawman argument.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Month first is best. It's much easier saying "January 13th" as opposed to saying "the 13th of January". Why write or type it any differently?

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can't lie US format seems worst of both options to me.

If I'm talking to someone I want most efficient path which is day/month/year.

I can say let's meet on the 5th and they know I mean this month. I can say 5th of June if I need to specify month too and of course add year if needed.

For coding/database I prefer year/month/day.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017

I'm usually a proponent of the non-American way when it comes to notation and measurement units, but we got this one right.

4th of July, get fucked.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If EU is so superior, how come you don't have minutes before hours?

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020

This is actually you advocating for year-month-day not month-day-year. You say the month first, I could be anywhere of infinite points in an entire eternity. Say the year first and you've narrowed things down to one discrete chunk of time, then the day and month targets that exact location in the chunk of time.

Using day-month-year on the other hand, has the benefit of being the most efficient system, for the most common use case (i.e. 'what's the date today'), because unless you've just awoken from a coma, both the month and year are already implicit.

Plus with either system it is neat - i.e. small - medium - large or large -medium -small.
Month-day-year (medium-small-large) makes absolutely no logical sense. The only reason anyone advocates for it, is they are either Americans who are used to it, or non-americans who are used to it due to its prevalence on the internet.

Let's say nobody in the world had ever used the month-day-year system and some public figure decided to advocate for switching to it. Would most of the people, who claim it's the best system right now, have agreed it's the best system? I seriously doubt it.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How come snobby programmers keep bringing up how much better YYYYMMDD is better but they actually never use it in everyday's life because it's dumb?
Yeah it's good for sorting on computers. Use it to sort on computers. It's shit IRL.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think it's more of a "you don't know what you don't know" situation.

Until I saw it on the internet (gaf I think), I had no idea there was a different date format the rest of the world uses. It wasn't taught in school like the metric system so that I would at least be aware of the difference. I was probably 30 or so when I found out it was different elsewhere.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Professionally, I use YYYMMDD (yes, my line of work only uses THREE numbers for year).

Casually, I use MM/DD (optionally /YYYY). This is only because of the way we speak here though where we SAY the month before the day typically. It's just the lazy way to write it down when we hear it or say it in our heads. It's not some magical "best" way, but it's just OUR way just like it can be anybody else's comfortable way...there is no right and wrong.

...unless you're talking about ISO in which case Holland's wrong too.