• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because Month -> Day is better.

You say the day first, I could be anywhere of twelve points in the entire year. Say the month first you have narrowed things down to one discrete chunk of time, then the day targets the exact location in that chunk of time.
How often do you think people leave a long enough gap between saying the day and the month that people are getting confused and wondering which month that day is in? And by your logic if you say the month first I'll be sitting there thinking "it could be any one of 28-31 points in that month, which is it?"

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When the month is spelled out or spoken, it just looks and sounds better the US way.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha I always love these threads where a bunch of american's try and convince everyone else in the world the way they do dates is correct when no one else does it that way.

Also funny seeing americans react go people saying that the dd/mm/yyyy format makes sense as it goes from smallest to largest with "no the usa system does! 1-12 is less than 1-31" as if american's can't understand numbers in context......you know smallest to largest means units of time right? 1-12 may be smaller numbers but months are bigger than days in units of time.......

Or how about the argument of saying dates out long form as if that's done constantly when someone asks the date as opposed to just the day in question because most people would know the month or year they are in.....unless they've been asleep for months?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

You say the day first, I could be anywhere of twelve points in the entire year. Say the month first you have narrowed things down to one discrete chunk of time, then the day targets the exact location in that chunk of time.

I'm usually a proponent of the non-American way when it comes to notation and measurement units, but we got this one right.
Lol, nope.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I also recently found out that many Americans aren't familiar with "A" format papers despite the rest of the world using the system.
800px-A_size_illustration2.svg.png

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The american format never made sense to me, like, why? What's so confusing about putting the day first? You don't know the month you live in? Plus going from smallest to biggest unit is just... Right?

Now for indexing purposes YYYY/MM/DD is obviously the best system. Putting the month first is the worst for any possible use.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

I'm usually a proponent of the non-American way when it comes to notation and measurement units, but we got this one right.
What you just said makes no logical sense. By your logic you should be saying the year first because that narrows it to a discrete chunk of time, then the month narrows it down more than day gives you the exact date. Your own logic shows that you are wrong.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
YYYYMMDD is indeed the most ideal. I use it in Japan, but that US State Department site also used it the other day when it trolled the world about Trump's resignation.

And guess what, the US format has more in common with it and the DDMMYYYY one does.

The issue with DDMM is that it's useless for sorting. Meanwhile, YYYYMMDD or MMDDYYYY yield the same sort order.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
So Americans, explain why ya'll say 4th of July instead of July 4th when you're using the MM/DD/YYYY system.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Frequent exchange in America apparently:

"Hey bro what's the date"
"Uh it's the sixth"
"But what month is it broooooo? You didn't say and I don't know what month we're in without you telling me!"

If your system is so great how come you don't celebrate July 4th?

So Americans, explain why ya'll say 4th of July instead of July 4th when you're using the MM/DD/YYYY system.

July 4th is used often interchangeably with 4th of July.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I may miss something, but no...

2020-09-22
2021-09-21
vs
09-21-2021
09-22-2020

Sorry, I should've been more careful with my phrasing. They sort in the same order within the same year. When it comes to multiyear tracking, YYYYMMDD is unilaterally the best, but DDMMYYYY is still the worst.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

You don't need to narrow things down with the first when you get the rest a split second later, lol.

Day - month - year.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No offense. But this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017

"Uh it's the sixth"
"But what month is it broooooo? You didn't say and I don't know what month we're in without you telling me!"

Wow. I have nothing to add except: bravo!

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
DD/MM/YYYY when talking or writing the date for someone.

YYYY/MM/DD when filing by date physically or digitally.

I will never understand MM/DD/YYYY or how it came to be used.

I hope you weren't trying to convince anyone because this was a terrible example.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018

"Uh it's the sixth"

This is beyond stupid , its called July 4th all the time lmao its just how we talk and what people are used to its not that serious

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are only considering events that happen in their immediate temporal vicinity. If someone was to ask about events from your past, events within the last, say, 2-3 years, at what point do you think month is a more important piece of information to convey?

"Hey, remember that assignment last year?"
"Yeah, sure; the one in February?"

Exact date is needlessly precise for the vast amount of occurrences outsides of a 4-6 week window around now, which is to say, the colossal majority of important events - things outside of that window and therefore 99.999999% occurrences in human history - to be remembered do not need to have date information tacked on.

When did Notre Dame burn down? When was that Iranian general attacked? When did the Oklahoma city bombing happen? When was the Crimea attacked? If you were to convey information about the temporal location of those with minimal reference, does it seem more important to convey date+year, or month+year?

When dates are shortened in articles talking about things in the past, is it DD/YY? No, it's MM/YY, because no one cares about the exact date for most dates. And, since we don't know how far in the future date information we record now will be referred to, it makes infinitely more sense to assume that someone will be interacting with recorded date information at some point between 6weeks-infinity than they will be interacting with that information within the next 6 weeks, of only because the former is a literally infinitely larger span of retrospective reference.