• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Some people are saying "Oh, it's supposed to be a prequel", but they literally dressed him up as UC1 Drake, minus the jeans I guess.

Screen_Shot_2020_10_22_at_11.32.10_AM.0.png
I bet money that it ends with a direct tie in to Uncharted 1.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The biggest surprise from this article for me is that despite filming presumably being completed, there's still roughly a full year until the movie actually releases. Is that usually the case or just another consequence of the pandemic?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Some people are saying "Oh, it's supposed to be a prequel", but they literally dressed him up as UC1 Drake, minus the jeans I guess.

Screen_Shot_2020_10_22_at_11.32.10_AM.0.png

That doesn't mean it isn't a prequel. They just want him to look as much like an iconic character as possible, don't simply assume because of his outfit that it's suddenly Drake's Deception.

EDIT: Drake's Fortune, even.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest surprise from this article for me is that despite filming presumably being completed, there's still roughly a full year until the movie actually releases. Is that usually the case or just another consequence of the pandemic?
It depends on the film. An MCU film will spend a lot more time in post production compared to something like Short Term 12.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Oh no. I have worries now.

It has this eerie feel of a film directed by Michael Bay....
"Tom! I have no time for your questions, do whatever you want while I focus on the explosions"
"The explosions look great! It's a wrap! Good job everybody!"

Or maybe it's just Tom Holland being overly honest and self critical.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Unless this was supposed to be a prequel showing Nathan in his youth, this was a terrible cast.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's partly the pandemic but also partly due to February being where studios put out films they think have potential but would get drowned out in the busy summer & holiday windows.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Tom Holland is great, but he has a remarkable talent of un-selling his movies, haha.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing is that with the Endgame/Marvel/Disney money, I guess he can just fuck around in any kind of shitty movies he wants, not like he actually needs the money or that he needs to win an Oscar to validate his career or anything.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just his age, his whole physique seems so brittle. More kind of an gymnast than a athletic fighter dude who has seen some shit.

Also his chin is too weak.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Nate being tough, stoic, and Mark Wahlberg-esque are all bad signs. Not that I had hopes for the movie in the first place.

Very weird since he does such a good job playing a vulnerable and anxiously wisecracking hero in Peter Parker.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably hard to go from the super popular well recieved spiderman to crap like cherry and chaos walking

Nov 2, 2018
I have some doubts about the film but I think stoic was just a poor choice of words.

Minute to minute Drake is not actually a marvel-character shouting puns non stop, especially in serious action scenes. I'm not looking for Holland to channel Deadpool.

Oct 27, 2017
Nolan North is currently playing Nathan Drake for 30 seconds at a time on his YouTube channel, if you need a palate cleanser from this interview.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i know everyone is saying this but it's surreal to me that he describes nate as stoic here, to the point where I wonder if this is just him joking around (wouldn't be the first time).

like i'm not a huge uncharted fan but even i know that's a really weird read on nate. when they cast holland, i assumed it was specifically because he blew up as spider-man playing a goofball who cracks wise to seem tougher. the gap between peter parker and nathan drake is a lot smaller than peter parker and "stoic tough action hero"

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sometime's the actor's experience isn't what's really rendered on screen. So, hopefully, the director knew what would work and got Tom to do exactly that.

We'll see though. So many of these projects seem a bit slapdash.

Jul 26, 2018
I love Tom... but.... ugh.......... why him?

Even just finished the 4 games on my PS5 recently and it was truly an amazing experience. Was "kinds" hyped for the movie tbh (barely). Now I don't have hope for this movie lol.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I think he might be preparing us for a disaster. But if it's at least on the same level as the recent Tomb Raider movie, then that'll be enough for me.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty candid and honest of him, but I can't imagine any studio execs being enthused about their lead actor publicly reflecting on their role in any sort of negative way before the movie is released. I know when I acted in college I'd have roles I was critical of myself in, but I certainly wasn't in a position of stardom or any sort of commercial pressure to have to pretend I did or was doing an amazing job or something.

Tom might be too honest for Hollywood (in the best way possible.)

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I mean we really don't need to get into bodyshaming here...
I said he looks like a gymnast, wich is a compliment in my eyes. The Chin thing, maybe, but it seems a bit like a battle you can only loose if you're a mere mortal human being compared to a idealistic designed character from a video game.

but whatever

Mar 29, 2018
well, the damage control is starting even before release, so this should bode well
Uh this is the opposite of damage control lol

yeah that pretty much seals it for me.

another video game movie failure. *sigh*
So one of the biggest mistakes Holland made here is talking about how he FELT doing scenes rather than how they LOOKED or WILL LOOK, which he has little idea about, or what the director was aiming for.

i dont know either way how good the might will be, it might suck, but this is NO indicator

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I wish more actors were this open about their experiences filming movies. Seems unlikely though given the reaction to Tom's comments.

There's definitely aspects of Nate's character that fit the stereotypical tough-guy action role (just look at the covers for the Uncharted games.)

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I read the script and I was like, why do I keep throwing people off of mountains and hiding behind crates?

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
At least we will have one Naughty Dog franchise that will probably turn out good, hopefully nearing excellent, with TLOU going to HBO

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This movie gonna be trash. The script is clearly going to be a dude brah action movie that lost the comedy and exploration wonder that made the games good.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm cool with Holland, is he the best choice for Nathan, no, not at all. But I can't say it's the worst and doomed to fail because of it. He's more or less fine. I have waaaay more issues with Wahlberg even before getting to how appropriate or not he is to play Sully and what that means for the rest of the film. Haven't seen Venom but Zombieland was just OK and the sequel was pretty trash, as was Gangster Land so yeah not a ton of hope there.