• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's meant to be mindless fun to fill the void until they reveal the title (tonight probably). Let them have their fun.
I'm letting them! Sometimes I forget their target audience
She's playing an OC who took the nickname of Spidey's most famous love interest as a surprise reveal for the end of Homecoming. It's really dumb. They should have just said she was Mary Jane from the beginning, and if anyone had a problem with that, they don't have to see the movie.
Ah..so basically we won't be getting the actual MJ character. That's unfortunate

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Yikes at the Michelle hating.
She's the best MJ ever, comics included.

By the way, Tom Holland is set to appear at Jimmy Fallon's tonight so the reveal probably will be there.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mary Jane doesn't exist in the MCU. Zendaya plays Michelle, an original character, and they gave her the nickname "MJ" as an homage to the comics.

The whole thing was honestly a very weird choice. It felt like a needlessly convoluted way to build up to the "surprise" when audiences find out her nickname is MJ.
I dunno, I thought it was a fun surprise. I don't know if it was known ahead of time but I didn't know it. Thought she was just a supporting character until the MJ reveal and then I flipped out a little.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mork49czr61rdni5yo1_500.jpg

Imagine not wanting this energy in your Spider-Man movie. Zendaya would have nailed this.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't realize it was just an homage. Do we expect to have a real "MJ" later on? I thought she's basically playing MJ but with just a slightly different name

No you were right, this is the MCU's version of MJ.

Around the time of the first movie's release once the name reveal started making the rounds, it's true that Kevin Feige was downplaying the connection. He started being cute about it, claiming the homage was just an idea they threw in last minute, and acting oblivious about whether there would be any future romance between them.
Considering later developments, Feige was likely just playing coy about it as he sometimes does.

In the sequel they started almost exclusively referring to her as MJ, the romance began, and Zendaya then went on record revealing that her MJ was indeed meant to be a new version of Mary Jane, a reinvention for the MCU that remained in the spirit of the original character. And for promotion for Far From Home, she dyed her hair red as an homage to the classic appearance of her character.

So...I think that makes their intentions clear enough. Whether or not they planned it that way from the start, that's where it is now. This is the "real" MJ of the MCU.
(At least until someone decides she isn't! Fiction can always swerve another direction if a future writer changes their mind.)

tumblr_mork49czr61rdni5yo1_500.jpg

Imagine not wanting this energy in your Spider-Man movie. Zendaya would have nailed this.

Zendaya's MJ absolutely has this energy. The sass, banter, the playful ego. Arguably even more-so than Raimi's MJ had.
It's just channeled in a new and different flavor, expressed in a fun more sarcastic way.

Last edited:

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Spider-Man: Homer - Disney takes synergy to the next level

Spider-Man: Homegrown - it's a huge multiverse adventure but at the end reveals Peter just got super duper high for the first time and ran around Central Park

Spider-Man: Nursing Home - f Tobey Maguire (god bless him)

Spider-Man: Homeless - a gritty look at the poverty crisis in America

Spider-Man: Homie - introducing Miles Morales (I'm so sorry)

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Wait I thought the movie was coming out this year? Welp

I mean, they've shot about 2-3 months, they could put out a small teaser, marvel does things like that, but I'm keeping my expectations low.
Also yeah, the movie's coming out this year

They started filming last October.

According to Tom they shot about 7 weeks before the break and they resumed a few weeks back. Don't get me wrong I want a trailer desperately, haha

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Zendaya's MJ absolutely has this energy. The sass, banter, the playful ego. Arguably even more-so than Raimi's MJ had.
It's just channeled in a new and different flavor, expressed in a fun more sarcastic way.

Part of MJ's characterization revolves around the topic of sexuality, which the movies have absolutely been hesitant to truly tackle. MJ's hot and she knows it, and that's been a part of her characterization since she first showed up.

There's also her connection to Aunt May, which would also give the Aunt May character more to do.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
What if they're all the title at the same time. They could do some multiverse shenanigans here.

Dis gon b gud

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
O8nEYet.jpg

Someone mentioned the color scheme seems similar to Spidey's villains in other movies. Electro, Green Goblin and......not sure who is the red supposed to be.