• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Tom is a freelancer right?
Not sure how smart it is to upset gaming websites and journalists.

But leak away, we are always here to discuss it.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
So Kojima's horror game pitch history is basically:

- Set to work on Silent Hills under Konami, collaborating with Guillermo del Toro and Junji Ito. Cancelled, Kojima leaves Konami, Oct, 2015, forms new studio, Dec, 2015.
- Death Stranding announced, Jun, 2016. Death Stranding launches, Nov, 2019.
- Kojima mentions that he'd like to do a horror game, Oct, 2019.
- Junji Ito states he had spoken to Kojima about assisting with a horror game, Jul, 2020. Ito later clarifies nothing tangible exists and he is not working on anything with Kojima, only that Kojima mentioned to him a horror project may happen and he may ask Ito for assistance, Jul, 2020.
- Reportedly pitched an episodic horror series to Google for Stadia, which was set in motion but cancelled, Feb, 2021. May be the "major project" he mentioned had be cancelled in the previous year, Apr, 2020.
- Grubb states that Microsoft are in talks to secure a deal with Kojima for his next game, Apr, 2021. And then, Grubb reports the deal has met a milestone, and likely to go ahead, with implications it leverages Microsoft's cloud servicing, Jul, 2021. Grubb reiterates this year that the Microsoft x Kojima deal is still on, Apr, 2022.

Nice summary I wasn't aware of half of this.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Mama, you're finally awake! You hit your head pretty hard there... Huh? Dark corridors? Overdose? What are you talking about? Come on, we need to connect the Chiral network!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm of the opinion that the mobile game element is just a misinterpretation of what the game actually is, but if it's actually a horror mobile game then this is the biggest cursed monkey's paw shit I have seen in a long time.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the mobile game element is just a misinterpretation of what the game actually is, but if it's actually a horror mobile game then this is the biggest cursed monkey's paw shit I have seen in a long time.

A misinterpretation from a leak? That never happens. /s

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, horror game on the phone has the potential to be super scary if they really utilize the platform characteristics (like simulated phone call or text/video messeage, or even just phone ringing), which is something Kojima really likes to do anyway so it could be interesting.

There's actually a few of these phone horror games like what you're describing, simulated phone OS/UI, texts, videos, calls etc. It can work. I haven't played this series myself but my SO really likes them:

store.steampowered.com

SIMULACRA on Steam

An interactive horror experience of exploring a missing woman’s phone.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Never going to understand this strange obsession this industry has with keeping things secret. Just don't confirm anything, and don't ask games writers to take content down. If they ask you, say you don't respond to rumours. Like any other media industry. Things will leak, and you don't get to control that.

Instead we get this weird nonsensical drama every time. And this nonsense will keep existing as long as this industry behaves like it's run by a bunch of little children who run a secret club up in their tree house or whatever.

As for the actual game, I really hope Kojima finally gets to make a horror game. I think not having it named "Silent Hill(s)" might actually be a blessing in disguise. That franchise, while I love it to bits, has a lot of baggage and expectations that come along with it. A new IP seems like a much better idea.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Can I say something a bit controversial?
I think this is one of the examples when leaks suck.
Obviously, Kojima has a unique idea in mind that only he can properly communicate to us in a intriguing way. But with these leaks, it's very confusing and dare I say, disappointing.
Let me put it this way, if you loved Death Stranding so much, imagine if some one had leaked its minute to minute gameplay and the whole concept in text form? Would you have reacted as favorably to it as you did after you actually played the game and beat it?
I doubt it. It would have sounded weird AF.
In other words, this leak robbed Kojima of his moment.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Articles and tweets deleted after all.
Why is Kojima is obssessed of using the same actors again anyway? Running out of money or just keeping his bad choices?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Kojima is obssessed of using the same actors again anyway? Running out of money or just keeping his bad choices?
what______gif__by_seaqgs3l.gif

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, Kojima has a unique idea in mind that only he can properly communicate to us in a intriguing way. But with these leaks, it's very confusing and dare I say, disappointing.
Let me put it this way, if you loved Death Stranding so much, imagine if some one had leaked its minute to minute gameplay and the whole concept in text form? Would you have reacted as favorably to it as you did after you actually played the game and beat it?

I'm conflicted on the leak thing, while I don't think its a grave sin to leak details of just the existence of a project in development I still get how it can be stressful to the studio or marketing departments when they no longer have control over the way in which they originally intended something to be revealed. In this situation with Kojima the details are so light that its probably on the less damaging end compared to say the recent Silent Hill one that had screenshots and concept art included. There's also a somewhat unhealthy aspect to the hype cycle of what are essentially advertisements, and I admittedly take part in that cycle. Its fun to get excited with a community about a shared IP you love or creator whose works you enjoy.

With this particular leak though it does reek of clout chasing and "but why?" considering the details are so scant and we're days away from the supposed reveal at SGF anyhow. Nothing was really gained from knowing this now vs then. I am excited at knowing Margaret Qualley is working with Kojima again, love her work. However, I would have preferred finding this out in a trailer. Kojima trailers are an event. That first DS one is an all timer for me. That editing is on point. The Moby Dick/MGSV trailer, the Ground Zeroes one...shit's fire. In the end this leak isn't a big deal, but its still kinda tacky and Henderson's 'look at me turnin down this takedown request' shit is beyond cringey.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
WAs it pulled or taken down to update the piece with KojiPro getting in touch, like Tom tweeted?

nilstrung

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes secrecy is not only because "why not", people tend to jump to conclusions and don't pause to think about why there is a need for secrecy.
Maybe it is part of the game itself, for instance PT would not be the phenomenon that was, wasn't for the secrecy. Or can be for business reasons, maybe they are negotiating funding or exclusivity and do not want people to know who they are negotiating with.
Maybe they do not know what the game will be and are experimenting with, there is many examples when game developers are transparent about the game development and get straight abuse when they change or remove things. Sometimes people feel an entitlement to know things, but game devs do not own anything to anyone when they are making their game. One thing is reporting about work conditions or troubled development other is to leak just for the sake of leaking somebody work.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Sometimes secrecy is not only because "why not", people tend to jump to conclusions and don't pause to think about why there is a need for secrecy.
Maybe it is part of the game itself, for instance PT would not be the phenomenon that was, wasn't for the secrecy. Or can be for business reasons, maybe they are negotiating funding or exclusivity and do not want people to know who they are negotiating with.
Maybe they do not know what the game will be and are experimenting with, there is many examples when game developers are transparent about the game development and get straight abuse when they change or remove things. Sometimes people feel an entitlement to know things, but game devs do not own anything to anyone when they are making their game. One thing is reporting about work conditions or troubled development other is to leak just for the sake of leaking somebody work.

PT was cracked in less than a day.

nilstrung

Oct 28, 2017
PT was cracked in less than a day.
Yes, it was, I had my suspicions when I saw the trailer and the font of the subtitles was the same as the font of the subtitles of the MGSV trailers, but that's not the point, the buzz created around the game would never be the same if before it was announced at the Gamescon we already knew what it was and whose it was.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yes, it was, I had my suspicions when I saw the trailer and the font of the subtitles was the same as the font of the subtitles of the MGSV trailers, but that's not the point, the buzz created around the game would never be the same if before it was announced at the Gamescon we already knew what it was and whose it was.

What's the difference between less a day? Do you really think the only reason people remember PT fondly is because it was a secret what it was for less than 24 hours?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It IS weird as fuck though lol.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I want this "overdose" to be a ruse by Kojima.
...A Hideo Kojima overdose on leaks

I believe it would be the most entertaining outcome for me.

Cruella

May 5, 2021
I really don't get what job is to say "this is getting made and I broke the news two days before a whole marketing campaign started" but okay.
It's not a job, it's literally parasiting off someone else's hard work. It's not a career, it's a hustle.
Congrats, you contributed nothing to society.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017

Uh... what? Margaret Qualley is a great actress and a huge get for him. I'll give you Reedus, he's totally mid as an actor, but he established himself as the lead of Death Stranding so it makes sense to keep him onboard.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
You think Kojima is running out of money because he is using actors way more expensive than the usual industry VA talent?

Thats some flawless logic

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I have my own agency and don't have to read that leak. Do you read movie scripts that leak every single time? Why do we only get in our feelings over video games because the industry has conditioned us as consumers to be so unflinchingly protective of their marketing plans?

The VG industry guards game rollouts more heavily that almost any tech industry competitor does the specs of their new products.

Why are we as a community so addicted to reveal trailers? That's all this is really about in the end, just 'circling the wagons' to protect the ability to have hype threads for gaming events to watch trailers.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I have my own agency and don't have to read that leak. Do you read movie scripts that leak every single time? Why do we only get in our feelings over video games because the industry has conditioned us as consumers to be so unflinchingly protective of their marketing plans?

The VG industry guards game rollouts more heavily that almost any tech industry competitor does the specs of their new products.

Why are we as a community so addicted to reveal trailers? That's all this is really about in the end, just 'circling the wagons' to protect the ability to have hype threads for gaming events to watch trailers.

Why are you conflating leaks to just be about protecting marketing plans?

We've had two threads now with feedback from developers clearly outlining the many myriad ways that leaks can be harmful to what they do and threaten peoples' livelihoods, whether that be in development or on the business side.

Surprised to see this from a mod to be honest.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I don't understand why these takes are so cynical? Kojima asking him to pull it basically confirms that the rumor is true. So of course it makes sense to include it in the article...
For me it's just that he wrote a whole article where only four sentences were about the thing he saw and the majority of the article was telling everyone what actual journalists had reported on previously.

Oct 30, 2017
Leaks are inherent to this industry and Kojima knows that. He tried using his reputation to throw his weight around and get Henderson to remove the article. There's also a 90% chance that a bunch of Kojima stans are bombing Henderson's DMs with threats and insults. Even people in this thread are trying to imply some nefarious implication in Henderson's tweets or outright accusing him of just being an asshole to poor wittle Kojima for "reasons."

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So this will be announced tomorrow or he gonna wait till TGA to announce it? Both events are held by his friend Geoff and if the trailer is ready, dunno why he needs to wait. Also if it is xbox exclusive or even multiplatform, I don't see him using Decima Engine but more like UE4/5.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Why are you conflating leaks to just be about protecting marketing plans?

We've had two threads now with feedback from developers clearly outlining the many myriad ways that leaks can be harmful to what they do and threaten peoples' livelihoods, whether that be in development or on the business side.

Surprised to see this from a mod to be honest.
Because from all I got from those threads and Devs speaking here it never really affects their cycle of development. Features, mechanics etc. gets scrapped, added, improved etc... ALL THE TIME. It's the messaging, trailers, building the hype that is most affected. So far all I know is it's a game from Kojima. That secrecy led Death Stranding to be misunderstood, just say it and spare thousands of pages when people played the game.

I also don't really get why videogames industry has to be the only exception.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Because from all I got from those threads and Devs speaking here it never really affects their cycle of development. Features, mechanics etc. gets scrapped, added, improved etc... It's the messaging, trailers, building the hype that is most affected.

If that's all you got from reading the posts in both of those threads then I don't really know what to tell you.

Also, this notion of it "only" affecting marketing and that not being a big deal is gross to me.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I'm imagining a game with a mobile app that tracks your progress and sends fake calls and texts.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a copypasta right?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for leaks.
It's not like we have any HQ content of it either way, and even when the games are officiall announced, seldom are they releasing the same date, so you're waiting regardless.