• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
www.google.com

Tom Hanks says decision to release new film on Apple TV+ is ‘an absolute heartbreak’

Greyhound was originally intended for a big-screen release until the coronavirus pandemic shut cinemas

Tom Hanks has called the decision to debut his new film on streaming platform Apple TV+ "an absolute heartbreak".

"I don't mean to make angry my Apple overlords," he explained, "but there is a difference in picture and sound quality."

Hanks also claimed that "the cruel whip-masters at Apple" had requested that he conduct press from his home office in front of a blank wall, and not one stocked with his personal belongings.

He joked that he therefore feels as if he is in "a witness protection programme", adding: "Here I am, bowing to the needs of Apple TV."

I'm sure there's a good dose of tongue in cheek with these comments, but it does show how controlling Apple is about their PR...not allowed to have books in the background?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's clearly joking lol.

But yeah, sounds like Apple. They are crazy about their brand. This is known.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
www.google.com

Tom Hanks says decision to release new film on Apple TV+ is ‘an absolute heartbreak’

Greyhound was originally intended for a big-screen release until the coronavirus pandemic shut cinemas

I'm sure there's a good dose of tongue in cheek with these comments, but it does show how controlling Apple is about their PR...not allowed to have books in the background?
Seems like a bit of an overreach, but people can infer anything from background objects I guess.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I heard he's tight with at least one of the investors, maybe he should have had a word...

D-0R_n0WwAMXT-B.jpg

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess this is a PR 'chess move' to preempt any potential controversy if a person is caught with a problematic book behind them.

Kinda like the NDA's they make freelancers sign when doing work for them

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The context is that he wanted the movie to have a theatrical release, and it's not, so it's not surprising he isn't pleased.

His new war series is being developed with Apple so he clearly isn't throwing shade at them, just expressing frustration at the situation - this is a non-controversy.

The press bit is pretty funny tho.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
www.google.com

They just want that typical "warm calm-speaking talking head over white background" look that is common in their videos if possible. I think it's a stretch to frame that as trying to limit books in the background.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks. I used to be like, "Just put everything on streaming platforms," but I'm starting to see why some film makers want a theatrical release. It's really not the same.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Comes across to me as him being more disappointed in it not being able to hit cinemas rather than not being too thrilled about Apple TV itself. Which is absolutely fair. A lack of a theatrical release, irregardless of where the movie ends up, is a shame.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If he wanted this in the theater, he could have waited. It's not like people didn't already have the ending spoiled.

Reviews for it are OK at best so far. Many comments about terrible CGI.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's joking but he's also not. If he were completely satisfied with Apple, he wouldn't be making these jokes. He's speaking truth in a joking manner to soften the blow.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Like the time he had to shill for his Sony overlords

I honestly wish they just delayed the release of the film as I totally agree with Tom that there's a massive difference in picture and sound quality.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's joking but he's also not. If he were completely satisfied with Apple, he wouldn't be making these jokes. He's speaking truth in a joking manner to soften the blow.
I think you're reading way too much into this lol. Banter is a thing.

The theatre stuff is beyond his and Apple's control.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
U-Boat drama sounded interesting in the limited ads I've seen for it. but the video on that article's page is horrible

'in the worlds greatest war' - really? I mean, I guess you mean 'greatest' in a non-woohoo way, but that is just weird

and the sound effects - constant sub-bass like a damn alien invasion movie - sucks all the tension away

hopefully its decent

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
If he wanted this in the theater, he could have waited. It's not like people didn't already have the ending spoiled.

Reviews for it are OK at best so far. Many comments about terrible CGI.

It was Sony's decision. No doubt in large part because they weren't too optimistic about its box office potential. I think this film had been delayed a couple times already.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Seems like a bit of an overreach, but people can infer anything from background objects I guess.
Oh, the QAnon dipshits had some theories on Tom Hanks already. (In the vein of "he didn't really have Corona, he wasn't sick, he wasn't where he said he was," etc.)

And, like, here's an example of what they think about the backgrounds in videos of the Obamas and Biden:

s9AuVSa.png

"Facility" meaning a secret FEMA facility, or a secret detention center where Trump has locked them up.

yzwtl3Q.png

Dogs. Corn. Significant.

ew2TR5E.png

Something suspicious.

1iJhG8O.png

Detained and in custody.

oyktEkT.png

Why would anything on a shelf ever be moved, this is crazy.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
On the other hand, I'm excited to watch the movie this weekend, so thanks to Apple for paying the 70 million to make it happen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the QAnon dipshits had some theories on Tom Hanks already. (In the vein of "he didn't really have Corona, he wasn't sick, he wasn't where he said he was," etc.)

And, like, here's an example of what they think about the backgrounds in videos of the Obamas and Biden:
Just wait til they find out Barack and Michelle live together

I bet he didn't have any problems taking their money, though.

Unless he originally had theatrical box office points that were bought out by Apple as part of the deal, or something like that, I would assume Hanks got paid by the original studio long before distribution changed hands.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.google.com

Having worked with corporate PR before, there are a lot of concerns about logos or branding in the background. It's like on MTV whenever they blur a shirt for having a logo, only imagine it's Tom Hanks doing PR for your new movie. I agree that it is anti-human and heartless, but I also get why they do it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting he wrote this film and is the main force that pushed it through production, so it's kind of his baby. Understandable reaction tbh, even though he's poking fun at it.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Hanks has called the decision to debut his new film on streaming platform Apple TV+ "an absolute heartbreak".

"I don't mean to make angry my Apple overlords," he explained, "but there is a difference in picture and sound quality."

the difference is the quality is much worse in theaters? Is he upset that people are watching it in 4K HDR?

I get there's probably a difference in audience and prestige with critics

Last edited:

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah this is the first thing I thought of. QAnon stuff has been going over Tom Hanks not actually being at home, and they are going to have a field day with this.

Oct 25, 2017
the difference is the quality is much worse in theaters? Is he upset that people are watching it in 4K HDR?

The vast majority who watch this movie prob do not have a 4K HDR setup with a nice sound system too.
Movie theaters are still the best way for most people, especially the audience of a WW2 sub movie, are going to have available

Nov 11, 2017
Have a hard time caring that his film was released on streaming instead of delayed, and that he was asked to make his interviews over a clean background. That is not an outrageous ask.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Where is that old video of him up on stage talking smack about whoever he was there to talk about? Can't remember if it was Microsoft or Sony or whatever but he was basically making alot of jabs and jokes about how he didn't want to be up there shilling for them. It was funny stuff if i remember right.

EDIT: bah is that the video already posted while I was typing this?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
ATV needs this controversy. Gotta stay relevant!
yeahhh, I mean he's usually pretty happy-go-lucky in interviews and tongue-in-cheek.

I've still gotta catch that McElhenney thing.
Where is that old video of him up on stage talking smack about whoever he was there to talk about? Can't remember if it was Microsoft or Sony or whatever but he was basically making alot of jabs and jokes about how he didn't want to be up there shilling for them. It was funny stuff if i remember right.

EDIT: bah is that the video already posted while I was typing this?
It was posted like five times in this thread already lol

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017

There is something to author having a curated experience for their viewers. Instead, he realizes now that a majority of people watching this will do so on their iPads and iPhones with those bad stock earphones, or iPhone speakers. Probably very few people who subscribe to streaming services actually have high end TVs and sound systems that would make the movie look and sound more impressive than in an average theater.

Last edited: