• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Good speech...but uh....

adb2884ec5e1b4b4bec7e41350165b31.png

Good lord the human race truely is irredeemable.
Keep in mind that the alt-right is fairly organized & swarms videos like this.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I always liked Tom's speeches and this was no different. Good on him and the staff for stepping up. And it looks like the likes are overtaking the dislikes.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
That's good shit!

I didn't know Tom was still around, but apparently my dude is fighting the good fight.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Holy cats, I haven't watched Toonami/Cartoon Network in like over a decade (no cable) but did watch it all through school, and not once did I ever put together that Spike Spiegel's VA = Tom's VA. Nice message too, though I see the typical shitheads are racking up the thumbs down on the Youtube page.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Good video. Fuck the alt-right. Toonami knew that the hate machine would be out there to bitch and moan after this was posted so good on them for not backing down.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care for anime and I don't think I've ever watched Toonami, but I'm clicking through to watch and like anyway just to spite the little nazi weebs* who are losing their shit over this.

*Apologies in advance if "weeb" is frowned upon as a term, will edit upon request.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
The comment thread I was in and respectfully explaining my side of agreeing with the videos message was removed and says to remember to follow community guidelines. That's super annoying especially with what the video is about...

Preble

Nov 7, 2017
Its wild how some people have interpreted this little video. Im watching a video now that's basically saying Toonami is calling all white folks racist. A bunch of "what about this and that". It's crazy.

The basic message Toonami is trying to get across is "hey take a look at the issue, maybe you don't wanna hear it, but it is important to think about".

Somehow its twisted into "Toonami hates white people". This world is crazy man.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Its wild how some people have interpreted this little video. Im watching a video now that's basically saying Toonami is calling all white folks racist. A bunch of "what about this and that". It's crazy.

The basic message Toonami is trying to get across is "hey take a look at the issue, maybe you don't wanna hear it, but it is important to think about".

Don't watch those videos. It feeds the algorithm and gives more spotlight to the racist content creators that already infest the platform.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Good stuff. I haven't watched Toonami in years, but I always got the sense that the people behind it were decent folks.

I don't know why I expected the like/dislike ration to be fairly positive. But yeah - maybe it's just trolls and alt-righters being dicks as always. Can't even watch a video with a good message without seeing themselves as the victim in some way.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
More people must've watched and voted, because right now it's 6.1k thumbs up versus 3.5k thumbs down.
Yeah, as others have said- the alt-right/neo nazis have gotten really effective at quick mobilization. That video had over a thousand dislikes in it's first two hours. But a glimmer of hope that there is more good in this world than there is evil, the video has gone pretty mainstream and people are responding, slowly correcting the ratio over time.

sdffff.png

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Such a powerful speech. Toonami was a big part of my life growing up as a kid in the early 2000's. Missed when they retired the character then was glad when they brought him back. I couldn't care less about the usual disgusting people complaining about the speech, I'm just happy that it exists and is being heard.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, as others have said- the alt-right/neo nazis have gotten really effective at quick mobilization. That video had over a thousand dislikes in it's first two hours. But a glimmer of hope that there is more good in this world than there is evil, the video has gone pretty mainstream and people are responding, slowly correcting the ratio over time.

sdffff.png

That seems to hold true for the most part in the US.

1/3 of Americans are absolute shitheads.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
And addresses the "I don't watch Toonami for this" comments that they knew would follow. It's like "Oh, so you only like watching shows about heroes who fight injustice and stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves, but when you have the chance to be that same kind of person in real life you'd rather ignore it."

Yeah I love that they addressed this immediately. Such a fantastic move on their part. Thanks Toonami and Steve Blum.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the Toonami staff are keeping it real all these years later.

GOAT program block👏🏻

Oct 29, 2017
Like many of us here I grew up watching Toonami and Tom was, obviously, a regular part of that experience.

Tom is fictional but the voice behind him, the words the character spoke, are real. Watching this video made me cry, and am very appreciative of the message they broadcasted and HOW they broadcasted it. Encouraging kids to think about it. Encouraging families to have a discussion. Bringing up and tearing down common rebuttals to the phrase and movement of Black Lives Matter. This was a very good video.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017

It's not wild. It's racists don't like being called racist so they need to project and deflect like it's their jutsu.

Oct 25, 2017
Most every anime on the block in the last decade has had political elements except maybe DBZ.

Frieza is a commentary on imperialism. Conquering other lands and slaughtering the people.
The Androids could be considered a commentary on the rise of artificial intelligence, but that's probably reading too much into it and very "Death of the Author" stuff.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Freeza is literally from a race that believes they're destined to rule all, and that all other races are lesser than them. And he's white.
So...

Well there are some things in DBZ but its never really a focus, at best its set dressing for the beam struggles and power ups whereas a lot of the shows, a good amount of them even the shounens deal heavily with politics during certain parts or overall in some cases.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Freeza is literally from a race that believes they're destined to rule all, and that all other races are lesser than them. And he's white.
So...
Frieza is a commentary on imperialism. Conquering other lands and slaughtering the people.
The Androids could be considered a commentary on the rise of artificial intelligence, but that's probably reading too much into it and very "Death of the Author" stuff.

www.kanzenshuu.com

Translations | Daizenshuu 2 - Akira Toriyama Super Interview

The second of six Daizenshuu interviews with Dragon Ball author Akira Toriyama in which he discusses the series' story and development.

"From there, the enemy characters rapidly began to escalate.

Having become the strongest on the Earth, Goku and co. had also beat the Saiyans who came from outside of Earth and then they went out into the universe. I came up with Freeza around the time of the Bubble, and the land shark was the worst person of all. So I made him the #1 land shark in the universe. But merely escalating the enemies was a pain, so I brought out the Ginyu Special-Squad. My son really loved sentai stuff, and I always watched it with him. Well, I brought that in. It's put out by Toei, same as the Dragon Ball Z anime. (laughs)"

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Exactly. Most people see Frieza as a "space racist" but DBZ is not overtly political.

One Piece, Attack on Titan and FMA Brotherhood on the other hand, are overtly political and arguably anti-fascist. HunterxHunter, Kill La Kill, Naruto, Parasyte, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo all have political elements or storylines.

People are dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
www.kanzenshuu.com

Translations | Daizenshuu 2 - Akira Toriyama Super Interview

The second of six Daizenshuu interviews with Dragon Ball author Akira Toriyama in which he discusses the series' story and development.

"From there, the enemy characters rapidly began to escalate.

Having become the strongest on the Earth, Goku and co. had also beat the Saiyans who came from outside of Earth and then they went out into the universe. I came up with Freeza around the time of the Bubble, and the land shark was the worst person of all. So I made him the #1 land shark in the universe. But merely escalating the enemies was a pain, so I brought out the Ginyu Special-Squad. My son really loved sentai stuff, and I always watched it with him. Well, I brought that in. It's put out by Toei, same as the Dragon Ball Z anime. (laughs)"

There we go then.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Most people see Frieza as a "space racist" but DBZ is not overtly political.

One Piece, Attack on Titan and FMA Brotherhood on the other hand, are overtly political and arguably anti-fascist. HunterxHunter, Kill La Kill, Naruto, Parasyte, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo all have political elements or storylines.

People are dumb.

...I mean, I would say Frieza a commentary on people whose greed harmed the economy, which is what that article says, is also pretty political even if it was just inspiration rather being particularly pointed.