• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the need to reiterate: being right doesn't grant you permission to be an asshole.

This is management 101. If you succumb to this kind of fury and anger because someone violates a rule, regardless of how important the rule is, the point is lost because you needed to demean and belittle your subordinates to make that expectation clear.

As a teacher, I've worked with some real knuckleheads in my day, but unloading on them like this is only going to taint my role as a superior. It's not going to help in any way. You can exhibit anger and frustration with someone without literally screaming at them.

I'm also going to reiterate that a lot of posters can learn from this, especially when it comes to discourse on more serious topics around here. If you compromise a person's humanity by being an absolute jerk to them, it doesn't matter that you're "right." Nine times out of ten, that person is going to be too distracted by you being a jerk to them. In the end, you've convinced no one and achieved nothing.
Not in this situation- there's a pandemic. Those crew members got a dose of ackrite, they're not going to screw up again for the rest of the shoot.

This is the type of tirade wear either the boss is 100% right and you correct the behavior, or you stand up for yourself and tell dude to chill out or fuck off. Tom's right in this situation, he's not down to catch a stray medically or professionally because of the crew.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the need to reiterate: being right doesn't grant you permission to be an asshole.

This is management 101. If you succumb to this kind of fury and anger because someone violates a rule, regardless of how important the rule is, the point is lost because you needed to demean and belittle your subordinates to make that expectation clear.

As a teacher, I've worked with some real knuckleheads in my day, but unloading on them like this is only going to taint my role as a superior. It's not going to help in any way. You can exhibit anger and frustration with someone without literally screaming at them.

I'm also going to reiterate that a lot of posters can learn from this, especially when it comes to discourse on more serious topics around here. If you compromise a person's humanity by being an absolute jerk to them, it doesn't matter that you're "right." Nine times out of ten, that person is going to be too distracted by you being a jerk to them. In the end, you've convinced no one and achieved nothing.
When jobs and even lives could be on the line, I'm more than willing to say this going overboard is justified. These people were more than just "knuckleheads".

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what i dont understand is why people think this is was the "first warning"

like assuming the worse case scenario where cruise saw someone with a mask and went off, instead of them repeatedly breaking protocols.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019

I disagree. I think there's an argument to be had on whether this should have been done in private or not, and from a professional standpoint in most likely should have, but the notion that yelling at someone under the circumstances when said people are knowingly and willingly putting the lives of others at risk is abuse or compromising their humanity I disagree with. This isn't petty office rivalry, these people know full well what's at stake and chose to be dismissive regardless. In this specific case i'd say the ends justify the means and he or whomever else was put at risk has every right to be angry. Expressing anger isn't always unjustified.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

While you're right, the people not socially distancing were unquestionably the jerks in this situation. They knew what they were doing and have been aware of the situation for the bulk of this year, just like everybody else. Cruise's response was fully deserved and a lot calmer than mine would have been. They're lucky they weren't fired on the spot when taking into account the fact they were risking the whole production.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They have measuring sticks on various locations on the set? They are trying to take this seriously. I can see why Cruise perceives his effort is being monitored by the other studios but from out here it is hardly talked about. Maybe there will be more public comments backing up his statements after this bit of news.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Tom Cruise lives in the world where the government isn't sending everyone checks to stay home. Doing this is giving a shit ton of people jobs that they didn't have for months. He isn't the bad guy here and he's not the government, he's doing what he can.

Cruise would still be doing this even if those checks were issued. We can all agree it isn't his responsibility to give away money like a government.

The government can manage funds of multiple parties in a way no individual business could (except maybe a private bank)

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not a big fan of bosses yelling at their subordinates, but it sounded like this isn't the first time he's flagged the problem and got no results. He has created a bit of a problem for himself, though... he is going to have to actually fire people now if he's seen seeing infractions. There's no way back down from that ultimatum.

I disagree. I think there's an argument to be had on whether this should have been done in private or not, and from a professional standpoint in most likely should have
We don't know how private it was. He could have done it in front of everyone or he could have dismissed everyone from the set but the offenders. All we have is audio recorded by someone who wasn't Cruise. The people who were being redressed could have recorded it during their code red.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Being former military and now in finance this is like a Monday for me. Reminds me of when Jamie Dimon caught employees smoking in front of the main doors and freaked out.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I'm not a big fan of bosses yelling at their subordinates, but it sounded like this isn't the first time he's flagged the problem and got no results. He has created a bit of a problem for himself, though... he is going to have to actually fire people now if he's seen seeing infractions. There's no way back down from that ultimatum.

We don't know how private it was. He could have done it in front of everyone or he could have dismissed everyone from the set but the offenders. All we have is audio recorded by someone who wasn't Cruise. The people who were being redressed could have recorded it during their code red.
This is true. I was mostly addressing the comments I read saying it's unacceptable to go off at people like this in a public space humiliating them in front of others.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
If they can make a movie safely and keep people employed then I'm all for it, and Cruise has every right to be upset if people are breaking health and safety regulations and putting everyone at risk, both health wise and financially.

Cruise is ridiculously rich, he doesn't need to worry about crew being employed, but it really seems like he cares.

I don't agree with shouting at staff, though.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Also: We really don't know if he already DID have that talk with his employees multiple times in a calm and composed manner about them following the guidelines and this is maybe the 5th time or whatever they didn't obey so.... *shrugs*

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Saint Cruise the protector of Hollywood.

It's fun to see now some celebrities worried about normal people's money, when Hollywood has always underpaid its workers. I wonder if they would be so angry if their millionaire bonuses weren't in jeopardy.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

yo, you gave me and my wife rona you knuckleheads

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Oh he will. I used to work on sets ages ago, and trust, me, people get fired for way less. The angry screaming producer isn't a stereotype for no reason.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Saint Cruise the protector of Hollywood.

It's fun to see now some celebrities worried about normal people's money, when Hollywood has always underpaid its workers. I wonder if they would be so angry if their millionaire bonuses weren't in jeopardy.
Yep this is unfortunately the truth. Still Cruise did the right thing.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure Tom and/or Chris Mcquarrie will add some context to this. I do think he did the right thing though.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Cruise is indeed wearing a mask that has little point to it. I get tired of seeing this shit.

Here is info about different types of mask from the CDC

I see vented masks all the time. I see people with huge gaps above their mouths, and I see people wearing visors and no mask. It gets on my nerves. Mask PLUS visor is very safe, Visor on it's own? Does fuck all. There was a documentary about KFC on TV the other day, and the staff were preparing food with visors. .... Except their hands and the food they were preparing were right below where all the droplets would have been released.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
what i dont understand is why people think this is was the "first warning"

like assuming the worse case scenario where cruise saw someone with a mask and went off, instead of them repeatedly breaking protocols.

Yeah, from some of the wording used, it definitely seemed like the specific individual(s) this was directed at had been lax and had to be told to wear their masks and such at least once before.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
I wish one of the higher-ups at my workplace would grandly chew out the anti-mask and anti-vaccine crowd in front of the whole company. I would gladly attend and be smirking behind my mask the entire time.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Don't really know how to feel about this, because he's right and the Church of Scientology puts out good information on Covid-19 prevention, but at the same time, fuck the Church of Scientology and the part Cruise has played in it over the years.

i agree with you but the way I look at it is we can still denounce them overall while condoning actions we like from them. Just cause he supports a horrible group and horrible group is doing a good action doesn't mean we can't point out they did something good.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wrong.

Lives are on the line here. This isn't Jimmy cracking jokes in your little classroom. It doesn't matter how the crew feels about Tom Cruise or if he has "tainted his role as a superior." All that matters is they put their fucking masks on and stand 6 feet apart. They can feel however they want to feel as long as they shut the fuck up and social distance.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Wrong.

Lives are on the line here. This isn't Jimmy cracking jokes in your little classroom. It doesn't matter how the crew feels about Tom Cruise or if he has "tainted his role as a superior." All that matters is they put their fucking masks on and stand 6 feet apart. They can feel however they want to feel as long as they shut the fuck up and social distance.

Absolutely. 100%.

I'm not going to sit here and say I like Tom Cruise or a lot of the things he stands for but I honestly think this is the sort of pep talk that a good portion of our country needs. He hits the nail on the head by saying that if we could (or could have) followed the basic rules of masks and social distancing, most places of work or business could stay open and people wouldn't be going hungry.

It must be infuriating for him to see a few people not understand that or simply not care.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
Wrong.

Please don't pretend to know my experience with students just because you disagree with my viewpoint. I'm not even remotely talking about dumb misbehavior. I am working in a school during a pandemic, and I have to enforce mask wearing and social distancing all day, just like Tom Cruise.

That doesn't give me the right to demean anyone.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't pretend to know my experience with students just because you disagree with my viewpoint. I'm not even remotely talking about dumb misbehavior. I am working in a school during a pandemic, and I have to enforce mask wearing and social distancing all day, just like Tom Cruise.

That doesn't give me the right to demean anyone.
...yes, it does.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I have and I do. Your soft style of "management" is one of the reasons why we have failed to keep this virus under control. Feelings don't matter right now. Lives are on the line.

We're not going to change each other's minds here. Thanks for trying to lay the deaths of thousands at my feet because I don't elect to scream at and belittle another person. Have a good one.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

While true, it just doesn't work like that on a movie set. Hollywood is brutal and not for pleasantries.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Wrong.

God damn right

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think your experience as a teacher talking down to kids/teenagers doing inappropriate things is the same thing as a grown person (or persons) risking the lives of hundreds because they were stupid.

There's a big difference between kids in school still figuring out right from wrong and grown ass adults doing dumb shit during a pandemic.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Good for him but I can't shake the feeling his people and scientology "leaked" this to get him some shine

For what it's worth, outside of him being a Scientologist, most people say Tom Cruise is a nice guy whenever they meet him. He can be eccentric about certain things(Oprah anyone?) but isn't an asshole.... to the public.