• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Not defending the guy in general, and certainly Scientologists tend to be anti-vax, but this specific comment doesn't seem to be accurate - at least I couldn't find this via Google and I don't recall him ever speaking out against vaccines (unlike other celebs).

Again, not a defense of the guy in general, as there's lot of disturbing stuff about him.

That said, the notion that this was leaked by the church of scientology as a PR move is a leap to conspiracy theorizing, as there isn't *any* evidence that this is the case. Happy to be wrong, of course - but I think the world could do with a bit less conspiracy theorizing at the moment.

You know you could actually be right on this. I'm not sure why I have been remembering vaccinations as part of his condemnations, could be from another celebrity in Scientology. Could also be from mixing it up with Cruises rants about ritalin and antidepressants.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
A mountain of concern for the effect Covid can have on the industry and families, yet, 0 fucks given to the people and families affected by Scientology bullcrap.
Save it.
Fuck Tom Cruise.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Ableist Rhetoric
How should he have handled it then?

by not yelling at them like a bunch of middle schoolers.

i mean, dont get me wrong. i think people who refuse to wear a mask or adhere to basic safety measures *while people around them are dying* are so dumb, they are barely sentient. like, they would be more productive if they were literal vegetables.

doesnt mean this aint abuse.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I don't like Cruise one bit, but I'm totally behind him on this one. I'm so sick of people not doing their bit, both in public and at work. I feel his frustration.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
No, you've made clear what he shouldn't have done.
But as the boss and guy responsible, how should he have reacted? I can see many people exploding in his shoes, especially if this was a repeat offense.

sorry i shouldve made myself clearer. i said "dont yell", and naturally, his only other option was to communicate through audible farts.

you know exactly what i mean dude, and keep pretending abuse was his only option.

just talk to them like normal human beings.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Nice PR. Too bad we live in a world where capital is untouchable and your life matters only if you are a shareholder, but I guess we need these feel-good stories at this point.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I'm sorry, but you're a grown ass man. If you can't handle your crew and maintain your policies with a bunch of grown ass men and women without going on an uncontrollable yell-fest, you suck at your job. You can keep your cruise ship.

I don't care if "that's the industry, man" or "he's just trying to keep them safe." Dude, you don't have to yell like that. A person can emotionally convey their frustrations and manage their crew without being a raging asshole. Fire me, but don't talk to me like I'm some child that broke your trophy case.

Uncontrollable vitriol and rage-filled disdain toward fellow humans doesn't suddenly become ok just because your motives fall on the correct side of morality. Some posters on this site could really benefit from learning that concept too.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I mean - effective rant, but just trying to film a big budget movie in the middle of a pandemic isn't exactly the only solution here.
You could probably even argue that the added cost of COVID measures on-set would probably cost them more than just paying the crew's salaries for a 9 month delay.

What if there is an outbreak because of the filming? Was it worth filling the gap on their release schedule?

Like in lots of other sectors, people have working for months to build safe protocols to keep the bussiness afloat. This isnt March. Now we know what is working and what is not.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Im sorry but as a film worker im absolutely sick of people around dont giving a shit about the protocols and about my own health. Damn right now im on set and the fuckin director is using his mask as chin diaper.

Well said Mr Cruise

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thing, no buts or handwringing.
Yeah, Scientology is shit, yeah, governments should do more, but I'm sick and tired of people being absolute fucking idiots and getting a pass.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like all his dangerous abusive Scientology shit but he is right on this, shouting over board perhaps, people need to give a shit to get through this, jobs and lives depend on it. As for it being so heated, not nice to hear if on the other side but maybe he has been seeing it more often even after there was an outbreak in Italy I think it was and well enough is enough. Losing your shit isn't good though.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad he is taking covid seriously, but he is repeatedly shown wearing a vented mask that only protects himself, and not those around him from him. Vents make masks way more comfortable for the wearer but don't protect other people from getting covid from you.

I own the same mask he has. It's intended for air pollution or working with hazardous materials that could be inhaled. It's not appropriate for covid.

So, sadly, he is a hypocrit here, even if he thought he was following protocols correctly.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
sorry i shouldve made myself clearer. i said "dont yell", and naturally, his only other option was to communicate through audible farts.

you know exactly what i mean dude, and keep pretending abuse was his only option.

I don't know what you mean, because "just talk to them" as if they haven't been told abd explained the rules is an absolute fantasy. How often do you need to tell people before you actually fire them?
I don't think shouting at the workers in question was a perfect move, but to me, it's better than just firing someone to set an example, which I think is the most likely alternative in this scenario.

Do you genuinely think that calmly reminding people of the rules will work for people who don't take said rules seriously?

EDIT: Just to show where I'm coming from, I routinely have to deal with visitors and workers who do not follow rules. It's extremely frustrating to have to tell people to follow the rules again. And again. And again. And not different people, often the same ones. Have I shouted at people before? No. I've hardly had to raise my voice, ever. But I can see where he's coming from, especially seeing how they're clearly working on a much larger scale than me.

Last edited:

ElfsborgEra

Jan 28, 2020
With people dying and losing their jobs out there, I can totally understand someone who is under unmensurable pressure unloading/going nuclear on people who are not following the rules even after being told to follow them multiple of times. Not how I would´ve gone about it but I think it´s understandable.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly don't blame him. If the crew of the film got Covid through someone's stupidity not only is it a risk to a lot of people's health but it would likely cost millions in down time.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Talking implies that this is something they might have been unaware of. Covid isn't new.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
man oh man would i love to unload on my co-workers like this, who think still think the virus is a lizard people hoax or something

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean, I can see an argument that he shouldn't raise his voice if this wasn't an actual life-threatening issue. In this case, it's talking about not only saving jobs, but lives too.

And I doubt this is the first conversation he's had to have on the subject.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Do you genuinely think that calmly reminding people of the rules will work for people who don't take said rules seriously?

theres a big difference between "calmly reminding" and "screaming your head off". also, i bet a calm reminder coming from the head honcho himself is an entirely different animal.

anyway, its clear we are not gonna change eachother's minds anytime soon. i just hope you never fuck up at work and find yourself on the recieving end of something like this.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Good for him.

The hand-waving and outright ignorance by so many people during this pandemic is a fucking disgrace.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
theres a long way from "calmly reminding" to "screaming your head off"
Sure, and going on a tirade isn't ideal, but I also feel there's quite a stretch between "man, he overreacted a bit", which makes him a normal human and "this is abuse", which makes him an abuser and the people endangering others the victims.

i just hope you never fuck up at work and find yourself on the recieving end of something like this.
Yeah, me too, but that's more of a "hope I don't fuck up" than a "hope if I violate strict and important rules, nobody will get too angry at me".
Although I admit I'd be mortified to have a superior that angry at me, too.
I guess it all boils down to me thinking that not taking COVID rules seriously justifies an outburst 9 months and 1.6 million deaths into the pandemic. Not saying you take it lightly, but maybe you're dealing better with it than some.

Last edited:

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was perfectly reasonable for him to be angry at workers doing a shit job of preventing covid to spread during production.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
If I was doing something that could potentially cause someones death if I messed up not sure I'd blame my boss blowing up at me. Covid isn't new, ignorance isn't an excuse anymore.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Wish world 'leaders' would have the balls to do this. Would be hilarious if nothing else.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Sure, and going on a tirade isn't ideal, but I also feel there's quite a stretch between "man, he overreacted a bit", which makes him a normal human and "this is abuse", which makes him an abuser and the people endangering others the victims.

Yeah, me too, but that's more of a "hope I don't fuck up" than a "hope if I violate strict and important rules, nobody will get too angry at me".
Although I admit I'd be mortified to have a superior that angry at me, too.
I guess it all boils down to me thinking that not taking COVID rules seriously justifies an outburst 9 months and 1.6 million deaths into the pandemic. Not saying you take it lightly, but maybe you're dealing better with it than some.
They can be both the perpetrators and victims because it has become two separate issues. Not social distancing and work harassment.

Cruise was way over the top and nobody deserves that verbal abuse especially not in public. Talk to them warn them or fire them in private if you have an issue.

That said of course Cruise is correct in the issue and his tirade will probably end up doing good in the end but nobody deserves that imo.

Maybe it is because I had a boss lose his shit on me in front of everybody because I started cleaning up my work area 5 mins before the end of shift on my first week. My mistake yes but fuck him for berating me in front of 30 people for 5 mins yelling his head off. I was too embarrassed to ever go back.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I dont like tom cruise for a myriad of reasons.

He is 100% absolutely right about this tho. Hope the crew now understands the stakes of following simple procedures.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yep i agree with him here. I mean, there IS a way through this pandemic without shutting everything down, and we need people like Cruise in this instance who actually laid out a whole plan on how to do it safely. Now, on the other side this are the people that simply need to execute this plan and taking it seriously. It's really not THAT hard to be a fucking adult and follow procedures, especially if you save lives while doing so. I get why he's angry, though it seems to be more related to the business side of it but still. Following measures saves lives AND the economy!

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
This is as good a reason for the world's most powerful movie star to verbally abuse an employee in front of a load of other employees as there can be.

But it's still, ah, the world's most powerful movie star verbally abusing an employee in front of a load of other employees. He's not an HR manager and you can't expect him to handle everything perfectly but it's not ever appropriate to talk to people like this in the workplace.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world is weird. The one guy who if you told me he was a COVID denier I wouldn't have batted an eyelash is actually uh...on the right side on this?

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I half think the press and some on twitter expect people to hate Tom for this, but i absolutely wish i could go off like this on COVID deniers including my in-laws who have become during lockdown full brexit supporting, COVID denying, NHS aren't heroes' C*nts and how its effecting my other half is making me more annoyed and trying to be the 'reasonable one' and not go off and encourage everyone to agree to disagree to avoid a family fued is draining! so this was so cathartic for me!

Now Scientology yeah, thats a topic on its own, an awful cult one and deserves the note i don't agree with that and how he is with it, but on this? Go Tom! if this production shuts down because some people want to not wash their hands or wear a mask? fuck those guys! fire them the moment they slip up

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
He's the producer of the film and takes his roles pretty seriously and if a movie studio production gets shut down it's millions of dollars lost. It's not hard to fathom why he would be upset with people risking that scenario.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I feel the need to reiterate: being right doesn't grant you permission to be an asshole.

This is management 101. If you succumb to this kind of fury and anger because someone violates a rule, regardless of how important the rule is, the point is lost because you needed to demean and belittle your subordinates to make that expectation clear.

As a teacher, I've worked with some real knuckleheads in my day, but unloading on them like this is only going to taint my role as a superior. It's not going to help in any way. You can exhibit anger and frustration with someone without literally screaming at them.

I'm also going to reiterate that a lot of posters can learn from this, especially when it comes to discourse on more serious topics around here. If you compromise a person's humanity by being an absolute jerk to them, it doesn't matter that you're "right." Nine times out of ten, that person is going to be too distracted by you being a jerk to them. In the end, you've convinced no one and achieved nothing.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say this is not the first time he's spoken with his crew about this. There's protocols in place and it's been explained to everyone. The pandemic has been going on for 9+ months.

Some are like he shouldn't lose his shit, or speak to adults like that. Those are the exactly who need to hear it like that. If he was speaking to kids like that it would be very unbecoming. These are grown ass people who know the rules and the consequences and yet, here they are, fucking off.

I'm not the type personally but if my boss went in on my teammates and I like that for their violations I would be all for it. Quit fucking around. This is life or death here.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, kudos to Cruise. That's the kind of attitude that keeps the pandemic in check.

I feel the need to reiterate: being right doesn't grant you permission to be an asshole.

This is management 101. If you succumb to this kind of fury and anger because someone violates a rule, regardless of how important the rule is, the point is lost because you needed to demean and belittle your subordinates to make that expectation clear.

As a teacher, I've worked with some real knuckleheads in my day, but unloading on them like this is only going to taint my role as a superior. It's not going to help in any way. You can exhibit anger and frustration with someone without literally screaming at them.

I'm also going to reiterate that a lot of posters can learn from this, especially when it comes to discourse on more serious topics around here. If you compromise a person's humanity by being an absolute jerk to them, it doesn't matter that you're "right." Nine times out of ten, that person is going to be too distracted by you being a jerk to them. In the end, you've convinced no one and achieved nothing.

I don't agree. The circumstances perfectly justify his attitude. One mistake can shut down the whole thing. He even explicitly says that he cares about those people but if they're going to jeopardize hundreds of jobs and the health of their co-workers they're out. Totally fair.
If a professional can't handle that talk, especially in these circumstances, they need to deal with it.