• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting freeses every so often and the game having to catch up for a moment but I was having a spotless 3 hour session yesterday, it's really inconsistent and hard to pin down what's causing it.

It's a server issue.
When playing with friends (with voice chat enabled) freezes occur for all group members simultaneously. We tested it yesterday and one player reporting a short freeze was always reconfirmed by the group.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE I found a solution that worked for me via a lot of trial and error:

Set in-game mouse sensitivity for Look and aim to 0.
Increase you mouse DPI to compensate.

Removed almost all stutter for me.

This will make your mouse too fast in the menus and in Windows itself, so you will need a mouse that has an on the fly dpi switch to switch to a lower DPI for when you enter menus or exit the game.

Any improvements / fixes to the DX12 support since the latest patch ?
I haven't dared try it myself, ha.

I'm still getting horrific mouse stutter on DX11 though. Finally resigned to the fact this will be a gamepad game for me, but I'm still holding a little hope in reserve...

Anyone else getting the mouse stutter? It's highlighted in this footage I took:

I've tried:
Mouse Smoothing - gets rid of it, but the input lag is too much.
All the CPU 100% fixes even though my CPU is never maxed.
Changing all settings, DX11 + 12, 3 different drivers, etc...

No other game has this issue.

If anyone has any suggestions please share!

Last edited:

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Seems like that did the trick. I rolled back to version 419.17 (with device manager, last version of the driver) but the game keept crashing while booting up. I then deleted the driver completely with a tool and did a clean install with the version 418.91 you mentioned.

No crashes for over an hour now, hopefully it stays that way, I will see tonight when I play.

After a few days I still had no crashed but yesterday the game started to act up again. My two screens went black, had to reset the pc, then a tobi.dll error and random crashes to desktop.

I diabled my second monitor and after reading about the EasyAntiCheat thing I set the anticheat service to only one core and tried my luck with DX12 again which never worked in the final release and crashed too often to be of use.

And what do you know, I am now able to play in DX12 without crashes like before. I sometimes get a quick freeze for a second but nothing serious .. yet. It seems the anticheat engine has been acting up in some games.

Maybe someone can try it with their system to confirm a possible relation.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Settings guide recommendations for a 2080 still about the same? I'd like to try out DLSS too. Performance is key, I'm willing to lose some graphics for very smooth gameplay. Seems like it was running great. But DX11 or 12? Digital Foundries graphics guide still hold up? Or have patches changed that?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Settings guide recommendations for a 2080 still about the same? I'd like to try out DLSS too. Performance is key, I'm willing to lose some graphics for very smooth gameplay. Seems like it was running great. But DX11 or 12? Digital Foundries graphics guide still hold up? Or have patches changed that?
DX12 gives +10fps, but for me and others it introduces more frequent crashes and more frequent graphical hitches.

DX11 seems to be a bit smoother overall.

There is no DLSS support currently that I know of.

On a 2700x and 2080, benchmark screens posted a few pages back for in game bench tool at DX11 and DX12.

If you knew all of this already, then it's about the same for me as of the latest patch.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DX12 gives +10fps, but for me and others it introduces more frequent crashes and more frequent graphical hitches.

DX11 seems to be a bit smoother overall.

There is no DLSS support currently that I know of.

On a 2700x and 2080, benchmark screens posted a few pages back for in game bench tool at DX11 and DX12.

If you knew all of this already, then it's about the same for me as of the latest patch.
Great, I'll take a look. Thanks!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Great, I'll take a look. Thanks!

Not sure if you meant the benches, but I have them saved anyway. Here:

DX11, 1440, everything maxed, resolution scaling 85%
dOFPFXm.jpg

Dx12, 1440, everything maxed, resolution scaling 85%
WLTNHEE.jpg

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Are you seeing any improvements in the DX12 stability since the latest patch Astro ?

-edit- nm...I re-read your last post, no difference :(

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Crashing is still there for me but it's lessen a lot but mainly due to some of the fixes I did (Having ISLC running in the background clearing out standby memory and limiting Easy Anti-Cheat to one core, also playing in exclusive fullscreen helped a bit too.)

Since I did that I only get 1-2 crashes within a 4-5 hour session, still would rather see no crashes especially since they are random so you crash somewhere you really don't want to but better than launch by a long shot.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Crashing more and noticed the game stutters/freezes anytime there's fire explosions now.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My God, the game is starting to crash even on DX11 now for me. Crashed like 5 times in a row, with around 10 minutes of playtime each. I even tried lowering some settings and that didn't make a difference.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
After a few days I still had no crashed but yesterday the game started to act up again. My two screens went black, had to reset the pc, then a tobi.dll error and random crashes to desktop.

I diabled my second monitor and after reading about the EasyAntiCheat thing I set the anticheat service to only one core and tried my luck with DX12 again which never worked in the final release and crashed too often to be of use.

And what do you know, I am now able to play in DX12 without crashes like before. I sometimes get a quick freeze for a second but nothing serious .. yet. It seems the anticheat engine has been acting up in some games.

Maybe someone can try it with their system to confirm a possible relation.

Any way to make it permanent that EAC only access one core on startup?

Working well so far for me

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even play the game anymore, so annoyed.

Never had a single crash until this patch, now I can't get passed the logo screen. It crashes every single time at the loading screen. Played right up until the patch just fine, next day I updated the game and boom instant crashing at logo screen.

Troubleshot for hours, even uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Onto a different drive also. Still crashing at logo screen. Disabled any and all type of overlays, closed any other apps from running like Afterburner. Deleted config folders, etc etc. I can't play anymore.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Never had a single crash until this patch, now I can't get passed the logo screen. It crashes every single time at the loading screen. Played right up until the patch just fine, next day I updated the game and boom instant crashing at logo screen.

Troubleshot for hours, even uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Onto a different drive also. Still crashing at logo screen. Disabled any and all type of overlays, closed any other apps from running like Afterburner. Deleted config folders, etc etc. I can't play anymore.
Is that the AMD splashscreen and are you using DX12? I noticed last night that logo screen somehow stuttering now. When I was still using DX12, any type of freeze stutter in game would lead to the game crashing every single time. Using DX11 has the same freeze/frame drops (it's actually worse) but at least it doesn't crash, at least until yesterday where it's now a crash fest :(

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Try deleting (or renaming just in case) the folder below. This folder would remain regardless of a reinstall of the actual game files and there may be something weird going on in one of the config files

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Tom Clancy's The Division 2

(Just in case you somehow missed this folder)

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Try deleting (or renaming just in case) the folder below. This folder would remain regardless of a reinstall of the actual game files and there may be something weird going on in one of the config files

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Tom Clancy's The Division 2

(Just in case you somehow missed this folder)

Thanks guys. It's at the Ubisoft or Division logo screen (I forget what it is exactly). But yeah I've tried deleting that folder too and letting it recreate on its own. Nothing works. Always crashes at the same loading screen.

I've gone as far as uninstalling it again, cleaning registry of anything ubi related. Redownloading and installing Uplay and then the game, still crashes at the same loading screen. I've even started to remove applications like iTunes and other random stuff and still crashing at the same loading screen.

So frustrating. Everything was running perfectly up until this update. It's things like this that make me want to pull my hair apart when coming back to PC gaming.

I dunno what else I can try, I'm not about to reinstall windows over one game that stopped working after a single patch...

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
apparently my windows 10 install decided to fuck itself overnight. re-installed win10, located installed game, and now my RTSS overlay doesnt work. anyone got any tips?

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Thanks guys. It's at the Ubisoft or Division logo screen (I forget what it is exactly). But yeah I've tried deleting that folder too and letting it recreate on its own. Nothing works. Always crashes at the same loading screen.

I've gone as far as uninstalling it again, cleaning registry of anything ubi related. Redownloading and installing Uplay and then the game, still crashes at the same loading screen. I've even started to remove applications like iTunes and other random stuff and still crashing at the same loading screen.

So frustrating. Everything was running perfectly up until this update. It's things like this that make me want to pull my hair apart when coming back to PC gaming.

I dunno what else I can try, I'm not about to reinstall windows over one game that stopped working after a single patch...

I don't know if you have seen this or not yet, but there's a thread here on the Ubi forums posted by a staff member which may help:

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1391144-Crashing-in-The-Division (it was posted after the release of Div 1, but the same principles still apply)

I know it doesn't make alot of sense, but I would probably look towards drivers maybe having something to do with it. The clean install of the gfx driver mentioned in step 2 would be the 1st thing I would try anyway.

Keep updating this thread, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. The game works perfectly fine for me and many others since the latest patch...so it is definitely something localised to your machine

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Game keeps crashing to desktop for my mate, exception error with easyanticheat or something?

Any fixes?

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
My game crashed 5 times today. Had no issues before the latest patch. What did they do? :(

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Currently GTX1060 6gb game is fine on DX11 but crashes a lot in DX12
RTX2060 arriving in Tuesday so will see if that runs dx12 any better.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
This is the kind of microfreezing / hitching that I am seeing.

I have not idea what the cause is and if there's anything that can be done to lessen the frequency.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
It's the CPU that'll hold you back more tbh
Right now it's definitely GPU that's holding me back more. I have a 4 core 8 thread i7 which still seems to do well in CPU benchmarks for the game, but the GPU I have (980Ti) benches at around 44FPS at 1440p, whereas the 2080 I'm planning to get gets 90FPS at the same settings.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Right now it's definitely GPU that's holding me back more. I have a 4 core 8 thread i7 which still seems to do well in CPU benchmarks for the game, but the GPU I have (980Ti) benches at around 44FPS at 1440p, whereas the 2080 I'm planning to get gets 90FPS at the same settings.
Yeah, I've got a 2080 and get cpu bottlenecked :( Par for the course with Ubi games though

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you have seen this or not yet, but there's a thread here on the Ubi forums posted by a staff member which may help:

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1391144-Crashing-in-The-Division (it was posted after the release of Div 1, but the same principles still apply)

I know it doesn't make alot of sense, but I would probably look towards drivers maybe having something to do with it. The clean install of the gfx driver mentioned in step 2 would be the 1st thing I would try anyway.

Keep updating this thread, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. The game works perfectly fine for me and many others since the latest patch...so it is definitely something localised to your machine

Well I'm happy to report my stubbornness won and I fixed the game from crashing at the logo screen yesterday.

What fixed it? No fucking idea. I followed some steps from the Easy Anti-Cheat website like adding EAC and the game folder to windows firewall exemption list, ran some command prompt script to check/fix windows errors (didn't find any), re-verified game files for the 5th time (no errors found), turned off Gsync/Freesync and back on, cold booted the computer, etc. Still kept crashing at Division logo screen. Deleted the documents game folder for the 10th time, still crashed. BUT it animated the logo more and got to the AMD logo this time THEN crashed. LOL.

Deleted that same folder for an 11th time, and what do you know it...it finally fucking loaded. Unfortunately now I can't go into fullscreen exclusive mode, toggling it in the settings just switches to windowed mode. Doesn't let me alt-enter into full screen mode either. Fullscreen Borderless works but I always prefer exclusive mode so that's a bummer.

I know I can probably change something in the .cfg file to get full screen exclusive mode working, but I'm not fucking with that folder or it's contents after all this trouble I just went through.

Have been able to close the game and start the game several times just fine now even after several PC restarts. Played a couple hours last night finally.

What a headache that was.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
Is this now an in-game toggle? I haven't played in a week but I hate the TAA.
In Documents\my games\Tom Clancy's The Division 2 there's a file called "graphic settings.cfg". Inside that file you'll find "taa = 3", changing that to 1 will greatly reduce the blur and still work on the jaggies, 0 will disable it completely. With the dithering and jaggies I'd only recommend turning it off completely if you can run the game above your native res though.

Also, yeah, TAA is awful. It's a same so many game engines revolve around it nowadays, I have no idea why they do it but they do.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Well I'm happy to report my stubbornness won and I fixed the game from crashing at the logo screen yesterday.

What fixed it? No fucking idea. I followed some steps from the Easy Anti-Cheat website like adding EAC and the game folder to windows firewall exemption list, ran some command prompt script to check/fix windows errors (didn't find any), re-verified game files for the 5th time (no errors found), turned off Gsync/Freesync and back on, cold booted the computer, etc. Still kept crashing at Division logo screen. Deleted the documents game folder for the 10th time, still crashed. BUT it animated the logo more and got to the AMD logo this time THEN crashed. LOL.

Deleted that same folder for an 11th time, and what do you know it...it finally fucking loaded. Unfortunately now I can't go into fullscreen exclusive mode, toggling it in the settings just switches to windowed mode. Doesn't let me alt-enter into full screen mode either. Fullscreen Borderless works but I always prefer exclusive mode so that's a bummer.

I know I can probably change something in the .cfg file to get full screen exclusive mode working, but I'm not fucking with that folder or it's contents after all this trouble I just went through.

Have been able to close the game and start the game several times just fine now even after several PC restarts. Played a couple hours last night finally.

What a headache that was.

Great...glad you got it fixed. Definitely a weird one for sure :) It sounds like maybe a cfg setting which was causing grief with your video driver which was continually being applied or some setting in the video driver and/or geforce experience.

Its a pity the game doesn't have a 'safe mode' to revert everything to basics to t/shoot these types of problems.....but anyway, great you got it sorted !

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
In Documents\my games\Tom Clancy's The Division 2 there's a file called "graphic settings.cfg". Inside that file you'll find "taa = 3", changing that to 1 will greatly reduce the blur and still work on the jaggies, 0 will disable it completely. With the dithering and jaggies I'd only recommend turning it off completely if you can run the game above your native res though.

Also, yeah, TAA is awful. It's a same so many game engines revolve around it nowadays, I have no idea why they do it but they do.
Damn, nice tip. Done this now.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of microfreezing / hitching that I am seeing.

I have not idea what the cause is and if there's anything that can be done to lessen the frequency.

I am having the same thing and honestly it killed my will to play the game. I lsot count the amount of times it had like four of those in succession and it made me die on a bounty.

Did you find any fix for it?

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
I am having the same thing and honestly it killed my will to play the game. I lsot count the amount of times it had like four of those in succession and it made me die on a bounty.

Nope, I've tried setting the page file for the SSD it's on and that didn't do anything. I am running on slightly tweaked High preset so I don't think it's maxing out the 1070 even though I have it capped).

CPU and GPU load isn't peaking so I am confused.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I've tried setting the page file for the SSD it's on and that didn't do anything. I am running on slightly tweaked High preset so I don't think it's maxing out the 1070 even though I have it capped).

CPU and GPU load isn't peaking so I am confused.
I've read that these microfreezes were caused by server issues, if you are in a group it can happen to other players at the same time.
I also get some randomly but since the latest patch it's less frequent.

Oct 27, 2017

If I had to guess this is network/server related and/or to do with the in-game graphic streaming setting although the severity of it does seem to have been introduced very recently as it happens way more often now. TD1 was the most network sensitive game I've ever played and it seems it transferred to TD2 as well but I'm guessing this problem is on Massive/Ubisoft/Snowdrop game engine's end.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess this is network/server related and/or to do with the in-game graphic streaming setting although the severity of it does seem to have been introduced very recently as it happens way more often now. TD1 was the most network sensitive game I've ever played and it seems it transferred to TD2 as well but I'm guessing this problem is on Massive/Ubisoft/Snowdrop game engine's end.

Although my rig is a modest one and pretty old at this point, it really makes no sense for it to be hardware related since i mostly play on high at something like 60fps all the time. It would randomly freeze for 1-2 secs before resuming.

Hopefully Massive can get a fix going. It bums me out to die due to the game freezing and me eating a grenade because I couldnt move.