• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Come on, Tom. FUCK.

This is why I don't look into the opinions of artists I loved growing up.

CalZone

Nov 18, 2017
Ahh fuck off Tom. Hope this doesn't give people the idea that metalheads lean right. Metal and punk music has always leaned left against oppressive forces, especially conservatives.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
my-mom-named-her-vacuum-haer-because-its-been-arouno-12935487.png

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh fuck off Tom. Hope this doesn't give people the idea that metalheads lean right. Metal and punk music has always leaned left against oppressive forces, especially conservatives.

Isn't a big part of black metal full on white supremacy / nazi shit? I know Varg is pretty much a neonazi despite his claims to the contrary.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Annihilator over Slayer, shoulda been on the Big Four IMO. Or Testament. Fuck Slayer, srsly.

Also just to trigger Morrigan , Disturbed is a good band with great music.

Nov 28, 2017
Punk yes, metal ehhhh?

Like, there are a lot of Nazis in metal.
Maybe it's just my perception...
I listen to a lot of doom and stoner, and find musicians there to be very progressive thinking.
Black metal, on the other hand....it's a virtual minefield filled with assholes with some decent people sprinkled in.

As for Araya, it's nothing new, he always was a conservative Christian. Sadly, he has discovered social media to constantly remind us of it.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't know about the US, but at least in the EU metal is often linked to white supremacy groups and activists, especially the older generation.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Isn't a big part of black metal full on white supremacy / nazi shit? I know Varg is pretty much a neonazi despite his claims to the contrary.

Most BM focus on satanic / anti-christian themes, not nazism. The actual NSBM scene is incredibly small. Then you have bands like Marduk that are not nazi but tend to attract them anyway.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure alot of folks on Era probably think Kaepernick is a clown about this latest issue (but are keeping quiet...lol), without really knowing what this is really about. It wasn't just about the time period/slavery.

Kap saved Nike from bad publicity.

When companies make horrible decisions, folks always say... if only they had some diversity in the room when decisions were being made. If only someone was there to raise their hand and say.. ummmm I don't think this is a good idea.

Well Kap was that for Nike in this situation. Even if only a small number of hate groups have tried to adopt the flag.... Nike was just better off having the current US Flag on the shoe.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about the US, but at least in the EU metal is often linked to white supremacy groups and activists, especially the older generation.
This really isn't true unless you are talking about black/death metal or some fringe groups.

I guess you can always find some extremist edgelord, but mainline metalheads tend to be pretty chill.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really isn't true unless you are talking about black/death metal or some fringe groups.

I guess you can always find some extremist edgelord, but mainline metalheads tend to be pretty chill.
Agreed. It's a pretty chill community until you go into the fringe, but that's to be expected. There's always shitheels everywhere sadly.

OP
OP
Randam

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm sure alot of folks on Era probably think Kaepernick is a clown about this latest issue (but are keeping quiet...lol), without really knowing what this is really about. It wasn't just about the time period/slavery.

Kap saved Nike from bad publicity.

When companies make horrible decisions, folks always say... if only they had some diversity in the room when decisions were being made. If only someone was there to raise their hand and say.. ummmm I don't think this is a good idea.

Well Kap was that for Nike in this situation. Even if only a small number of hate groups have tried to adopt the flag.... Nike was just better off having the current US Flag on the shoe.
btw.: why is it even "Kaepernick made Nike to pull the shoes"?
why not just: "Nike decided to pull the shoe!"?

why did they have to "blame" it on him?

Oct 28, 2017
Tom Araya has become an old fuckhead nowadays. Him and Kerry King were getting mad that people were "disrespecting the President" a while back, referring to Trump. Their old music is good but they're fucking dumb nowadays.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Annihilator over Slayer, shoulda been on the Big Four IMO. Or Testament. Fuck Slayer, srsly.

Also just to trigger Morrigan , Disturbed is a good band with great music.
Annihilator AND testament honestly, shit I'd even throw in Overkill as the real cornerstone bands of Us Thrash.

Anyway, yeah this isn't shocking, Tom does some pretty fucking stupid stuff every now and then. And yes, metal is heavily plagued by a lot far right opinions unfortunately, its a real struggle enjoying the genre and knowing and willingly ignoring what goes on with a fuckton of its artists

Oct 30, 2017
Tom Araya has become an old fuckhead nowadays. Him and Kerry King were getting mad that people were "disrespecting the President" a while back, referring to Trump. Their old music is good but they're fucking dumb nowadays.

kerry king isn't pro-trump — he's called out araya a few times on this stuff.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Surprise, dude's an asshole. Met him twice on work stuff, and he was a asshole then and is continuing on that path.

Kerry King is pretty cool though.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Annihilator AND testament honestly, shit I'd even throw in Overkill as the real cornerstone bands of Us Thrash.

Anyway, yeah this isn't shocking, Tom does some pretty fucking stupid stuff every now and then. And yes, metal is heavily plagued by a lot far right opinions unfortunately, its a real struggle enjoying the genre and knowing and willingly ignoring what goes on with a fuckton of its artists
Oh man Horrorscope is insane. Coma is legit the best opening thrash song ever.

Oct 26, 2017
Tom Araya being a dick? Whaaaaat? Why I never...
Ah and like clockwork Era attesting metal to be filled with Nazis. Lol

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Calling Colin Kaepernick a clown for protesting the national anthem is the least metal thing he could've done.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
btw.: why is it even "Kaepernick made Nike to pull the shoes"?
why not just: "Nike decided to pull the shoe!"?

why did they have to "blame" it on him?

Yup.... and the media of course loves to leave out the details, because it's not juicy enough for them. LOOK WHAT KAEPERNICK DID! FLAG! HE STOPPED YOU FROM BEING ABLE TO BUY THIS SHOE THAT YOU NEVER KNEW EXISTED UNTIL NOW! YOU SHOULD FEEL PERSONALLY INSULTED!

There were others who recommended that Nike pull the shoe. But none are as a lightning rod as Kaepernick. So yeah.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk about nazism in metal specifically (because i tend to avoid those subgenres where they may be common) but there is definitely a lot of conservatism in metal. Dave Mustaine is a weird neocon, Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth fame is also a very RUH RUH MURRICAH kinda guy (lol @ The Glorious Burden), and so on.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People care more about nikes they'll never wear than child concentration camps and voter suppression.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Kerry King and the rest of the band have been calling Tom out on his bullshit.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
He's been at this for a while now and its hardly the first time he's done this. Its the third or fourth at the very least.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
At least Corey Taylor from Slipknot hates Trump. So all hope isn't lost among metal front men.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all... he been like this. Said people need to stop being snow flakes about Trump when he was elected back in 2016.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
idk about nazism in metal specifically (because i tend to avoid those subgenres where they may be common) but there is definitely a lot of conservatism in metal. Dave Mustaine is a weird neocon, Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth fame is also a very RUH RUH MURRICAH kinda guy (lol @ The Glorious Burden), and so on.
The black metal scene is pretty notorious for right-wing extremism.

Feb 16, 2018
Most metal bands tend to lean left from my experience outside of the black metal scene. But yeah Araya has been kind of a conservative ass for awhile unfortunately. Kerry I know is anti Trump but also think Gary Holt said he was republican if I remember correctly.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalizations.
the Singer of Slayer who is of Chilean descent posted this picture on his Instagram today:

little milkshake duke moment here for me, but now, that I googled a litllte bit, you could have seen it coming..

I know that posts upthread have tried to deny it but literally the only times I hear about metal groups these days is either them being rapists, then being #metoo'd or nazi / fascist / racist shit.

So I'm not shocked at this. I listened to a bit of metal as a teen then grew out of it and things like this make me very thankful for that.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The black metal scene is pretty notorious for right-wing extremism.

Yup. By no stretch of the imagination are nazi's a fringe group in black metal. Some of the most seminal albums are founded by out and out white supremacists, and as a scene when called out on it they run to the 'we just equal opportunity evil, bro, no offense'. I still see Burzum shirts ALL the time when i have the unfortunate luck to run into a black metal show (i go to underground metal/punk shows on a regular basis)

Feb 16, 2018
I know that posts upthread have tried to deny it but literally the only times I hear about metal groups these days is either them being rapists, then being #metoo'd or nazi / fascist / racist shit.

So I'm not shocked at this. I listened to a bit of metal as a teen then grew out of it and things like this make me very thankful for that.
Dude, most metal is not like this, really. There are a lot of progressive and liberal minded people in the metal scene. Its the way news works, you hear about the negative shit way more than the positive stuff.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I listen to metal and can confirm that I'm not a rapist, sexual assaulter or a Nazi/fascist.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Metal has always had a hatred/nazi problem (so has hardcore) the DK song Chickenshit Conformist talks about it actually. That said it's always on the fringe, whether of genre or being "underground" (or more likely it's just hard to get big and famous when no one decent wants anything to do with you). I listen to a lot of heavy music and manage to avoid most incidents so while it's a real and existing connection you really cannot judge the majority for it.

And fuck Tom. Other than Raining Blood I never had time for slayer anyway.