• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
images

Currently sitting at 57%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tolkien

Karukoski's entertaining film boasts flair and narrative ambition, but ultimately fails to completely break free of its traditional biopic frame. - Empire Magazine
Director Dome Karukoski peppers the film with cutaways to imaginary CGI battles and mythological beasties, but none is a fraction as thrilling as the opening moments of Peter Jackson's 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. - Time Out
Tolkien follows the well-worn path of the literary biopic, steadfast in its refusal to even consider the separation of art from artist. - Lilly White Lies
Director Dome Karukoski wisely understates the line from... carnage to orc-filled battlefields, even if the fine actor Craig Roberts is cast as a working class proto-Bilbo guiding Tolkien through the trenches. - FT
Tolkien, at least, provides welcome relief after the recent glut of film hagiographies of esteemed English writers. - RTE Ireland

Last edited:

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Did people have high expectations for this ?

I saw an interview with Lilly Collins yesterday, the main thing she said was most people pronounce 'Tolkien' incorrectly.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited to watch it. Eventually. It's not something I'd go to the theaters for but I'll Redbox it when it releases.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Empire one is actually: "Karukoski's entertaining film boasts flair and narrative ambition, but ultimately fails to completely break free of its traditional biopic frame."

You duplicated it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
"Film is well put-together and does have the right "feel" to it, all credit to Dome Karukoski on that. Casual viewers will get a lot from this TOLKIEN movie. Excellent music and sound. Wasn't expecting that but very well done. Good amount of humour. Also wasn't expecting that but pleased it was there. Tolkien the academic is a bit peripheral here.

The chronology of his life and some details are just wrong. The War crowds out a lot of other influences on him. I think the Tolkien movie is a nice film, and I expect casual viewers will enjoy it (although they may struggle with lack of Middle-earth references).

Performances are good and sound well done. But hardcore Tolkien fans will struggle with historic accuracy and balance of influences. Solid performances by Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins." - Shaun Gunner, Tolkien Society Chair

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I dont get it. Why do we need biopics of authors?

Most of them leads a normal ordinary life like other folks from the same period.

Other than the 'they wrote a novel series' aspect, their lives were as interesting as pedestrian A, worker B, waiter C.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

Most of them leads a normal ordinary life like other folks from the same period.

Other than the 'they wrote a novel series' aspect, their lives were as interesting as pedestrian A, worker B, waiter C.

Why do we need biopics of musicians?

Most of them are edited to lead normal ordinary life like other folks from the same period.

Oct 31, 2017
Did people have high expectations for this ?

I saw an interview with Lilly Collins yesterday, the main thing she said was most people pronounce 'Tolkien' incorrectly.

someone in one of the threads here used this limited release biopic as a reason Endgame wouldn't make enough money to pass Avatar or something. I thought that was weird.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You might note that "Most of them" don't actually get a biopic.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I like Hoult but yeah this always looked like it was gonna be the most predictable and by-the-numbers biopic ever.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
The are no good biopics
there are,

The majority are cash grab agiographies that have nothing to give, but stuff like VIce or Jobs are actually great biopics. It has to give you the full complexity of the person. The original version of Freddy Mercury movie was supposed to be great, in the end we had that rubbish where the man is mustified and nothing else

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Stock biopic. No surprise.

There must be a supercut of all these out there.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
there are,

The majority are cash grab agiographies that have nothing to give, but stuff like VIce or Jobs are actually great biopics. It has to give you the full complexity of the person. The original version of Freddy Mercury movie was supposed to be great, in the end we had that rubbish where the man is mustified and nothing else
I actually liked jobs. Mostly because it's structured more like a chamber play than a biopic. It has nothing in common with something like the imitation game, which is an absolutely awful movie that more or less encapsulates everything I dislike about the genre.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I actually liked jobs. Mostly because it's structured more like a chamber play than a biopic. It has nothing in common with something like the imitation game, which is an absolutely awful movie that more or less encapsulates everything I dislike about the genre.
Well yeah, JObs has also a particular structure, but stuff like Vice which is still linear is great nonetheless. THe usual rule is the more a biopic is advertised the more likely it's going to be shit