• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
As someone living in Japan, I hope this thing gets canceled or limited to who can enter. Japan has been doing almost OK in comparison to other countries, it'd suck if suddenly we get some crazy wave once they open the gates.
Then again, hopefully by summer 2021 we got some vaccines and whatnot...

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'd have to have a test done before I go and I have to pay into some insurance thing so I can get treated in Japan in case something goes amiss?

I can deal with that.

EDIT: What's this about visas? I am well under the 90-day tourist visit limit...

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Japan mulls exempting int'l visitors for Olympics from quarantine

Japan is considering exempting spectators from abroad for next summer's Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics from the 14-day quarantine period, government sources say.

Japan is considering exempting spectators from abroad for next summer's Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics from the 14-day quarantine period, a measure currently imposed in principle on international travelers to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus, government sources said Tuesday.

While the government has yet to decide whether to permit overseas spectators to attend the Summer Games, if approved they will likely be required to test negative for the coronavirus multiple times before departure and have their condition monitored after entry into Japan, according to the sources.

But even if the attendance of overseas spectators is approved, the government will give further consideration on whether to allow entry to those arriving from countries where infections are on the rise.

Olympic organizers are expected to make their decision regarding the number of spectators who will be allowed into the games by around spring.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Hotels are being properly cagey. The ones I've contacted have said they're not opening up bookings as "we don't know if the olympics are going ahead yet".

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like the organisers are trying to reduce spectator numbers (by buying back tickets).

Dear Tokyo 2020 Ticket Clients,

We have recently been informed by the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Organizing Committee that they will be offering Authorized Ticket Resellers an additional ticket return opportunity for international purchasers.

If you think you might have any tickets to return, please let us know prior to 23 December 2020 by contacting us at [email protected] indicating the specific session and category information along with the quantity of tickets to be returned.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just booked some random cheap(ish) inns in central Tokyo as my original options still haven't opened up bookings again.

Still have no idea what will happen, but I have a nasty feeling that they're going to require vaccines, and it'll be touch and go if they're available on mass at that point.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Although Japanese government leaders insist the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics will be held this summer, doubts are emerging among both Japanese and international organizers, given the current COVID-19 situation.

"The Tokyo Olympics could be canceled if the state of emergency is not lifted by March," an official of Tokyo's organizing committee said.

The committee is now compiling guidelines on anti-coronavirus measures for Olympic athletes, staff and officials. It plans to start online interviews with the Olympic committees of each country and region as early as this month.

"I am very worried about how the rising cases in Japan will be seen by them," a senior committee official said.

"Hosting the Games is anything but possible if you think of the people and medical personnel suffering from their difficult lives amid the pandemic," an Olympic-related official said.

The further spread of COVID-19 has already altered the planning of the organizing committee. It initially planned to have all staff members work at its office from the start of January, but cut the number to half

Despite the state of emergency, it will continue having half of its workers come to the office.

"The opening of the Games is coming nearer, so it is difficult to ask more staff members to work at home," a senior official of the organizing committee said.

According to the BBC, Dick Pound, the longest-serving member of the International Olympics Committee (IOC), said he could not be sure if the Tokyo Games would go ahead as rescheduled.

"I can't be certain because the ongoing elephant in the room would be the surges in the virus," Pound said, according to the BBC.

At the end of March, the torch relay is scheduled to start from Fukushima Prefecture. Around the same time, a government-led panel is expected to decide on whether to restrict the number of spectators during the Olympic Games.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I highly doubt the Olympics will be going on ahead...
Again Tokyo hits over 2k new cases. The government isn't taking a hard enough stance on this and the new surge of cases will continue.

Oct 28, 2017
A minority of people in Japan want it to go ahead this year (the rest are split between delaying it again, which almost certainly won't happen, or cancelling it outright). This second state of emergency is weak af, one of the main stories on NHK is that the major train stations are no less busy than they were this time a month ago. But at least bars will stop serving alcohol an hour earlier!

moving

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo
A minority of people in Japan want it to go ahead this year (the rest are split between delaying it again, which almost certainly won't happen, or cancelling it outright). This second state of emergency is weak af, one of the main stories on NHK is that the major train stations are no less busy than they were this time a month ago. But at least bars will stop serving alcohol an hour earlier!
My train home from work was scarily busy tonight. Usually not too cramped. Was awful today.

Really don't see what this emergency is meant to achieve. Or aims to achieve with its pointless "requests". People I saw interviewed on TV this morning basically said they will continue to go out and have fun in and around Shibuya because the SoE isn't as serious as last time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I was initially hopeful that it could happen, but for whatever reason Japan seems to be struggling to get the latest surge in the outbreak under control.

Are they really doing that stupid "bars close earlier" thing? It's been proven not to work in multiple countries now. I really wish the hospitality industry wasn't such a convenient scapegoat for so many people.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I was initially hopeful that it could happen, but for whatever reason Japan seems to be struggling to get the latest surge in the outbreak under control.

Are they really doing that stupid "bars close earlier" thing? It's been proven not to work in multiple countries now. I really wish the hospitality industry wasn't such a convenient scapegoat for so many people.

Thats not how the government here makes decisions sadly. They are determined to make the obvious worst decision it seems. In true businessman fashion, looking busy is better than actually working.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Thats not how the government here makes decisions sadly. They are determined to make the obvious worst decision it seems. In true businessman fashion, looking busy is better than actually working.
It's OK, we have much the same in the UK... except they don't even bother to look busy, they just leave it as long as possible to make a shit decision that someone has already failed to get to work.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Tokyo Olympic head says another postponement "absolutely impossible"

The head of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee says it is "absolutely impossible" to postpone this year's Summer Games again due to the novel coronavirus pandemic

The head of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee said Tuesday it is "absolutely impossible" to postpone this year's Summer Games again due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking in an event organized by Kyodo News, the committee's president, Yoshiro Mori, said putting off the games again is not an option because many officials who have played a key role in the preparations are loaned from other organizations, including the Tokyo metropolitan government.

Mori, a former Japanese prime minister, also said Japan will determine whether to admit overseas fans during the Olympics and Paralympics based on the situation of the pandemic in the coming months.

"I think we will have to make a very difficult decision from February to March," he said at a Tokyo hotel.

Japan has said the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics will open as scheduled in July this year with strict anti-virus steps in place, while struggling to gain the public's support.

A Kyodo News survey showed Sunday that only 14.1 percent support holding the Summer Games this summer, while 44.8 percent said they should be postponed again and 35.3 percent supported canceling them.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

IOC's Dick Pound says spectators not a "must-have" at Tokyo Games

International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound reaffirms his belief the Tokyo Games will happen this summer despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, saying the Olympics can go ahead without fans in attendance.

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound on Wednesday reaffirmed his belief the Tokyo Games will happen this summer despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, saying the Olympics can go ahead without fans in attendance.

"The question is, is this a 'must-have' or 'nice-to-have.' It's nice to have spectators. But it's not a must-have," Pound told Kyodo News.

According to Pound, a former swimmer who has been an IOC member since 1978, there are six or seven scenarios under consideration concerning spectators, with one being that only Japanese residents will be permitted to attend events.

"It's certainly one option...In the end, the decision will be based on risk. And the bottom line, they say, is that it's better to have the games, even if there are no spectators, than it would be to cancel them because there are no spectators," the 78-year-old Pound said.

Despite mounting public pressure for a cancellation amid a dramatic spike in coronavirus cases worldwide, the IOC and organizers have already said another postponement is impossible, leaving cancellation or opening on July 23 as the only options.

"I think the IOC and the organizers are committed to going ahead with the games, if at all possible. And so they're not going to cancel unless there's a consensus among the government, health authorities and the IOC that it would be too dangerous," Pound said Wednesday.

Pound is still convinced a scaled-down Olympics will happen this year, and the opening and closing ceremonies "will be just as exciting but just with not quite so many people on the track."

"Nobody can guarantee (that the Olympics will go ahead as planned). But I think there's a very, very, good chance that they can, and that they will," he said.

As for another postponement, however, he said "it's just not possible so it's either 2021, or nothing."

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that unless they get on top of the outbreak in Japan soon, spectators ain't happening.

Glad I'm able to cancel everything, because they definitely seem to be struggling to get a handle on it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that unless they get on top of the outbreak in Japan soon, spectators ain't happening.

Glad I'm able to cancel everything, because they definitely seem to be struggling to get a handle on it.

It's already too late for that and Japan itself is way too slow for anything. They fuck everything up in regards to Covid so postpone that or do it without spectators. Nothing is moving over there and even vaccinating didn't even start till February? or even March?

OP
OP
Nephtes

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Welp

www.thetimes.co.uk

Japan looks for a way out of Tokyo Olympics because of Covid

The Japanese government has privately concluded that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus, and the focus is now on securing

Nothing official yet, but it's inevitable. Maybe I'll still be living here in a decade :(

Well that's one way to avoid Akira'a plot line becoming reality. We dodged a bullet there. Whew.

what a mess. I remember when I was planning for this trip several years ago and look where we're at now...

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I ain't going to Paris, so it'll be 7 years until I can see the Olympics if it gets canceled this year...

Oct 27, 2017
Many countries are getting hammered again by the virus right now. It's not happening this year. Not surprised, but man that's gotta be a lot of money down the drain. I feel bad for the city officials and atheletes.

Oh well. I'm planning to move to Japan in a few years anyway. Hopefully they can secure the 2032 spot and I can watch the games in person by then. Looking forward to the 2032 travel OT :)

Though I can't shake the feeling that COVID-30 or another virus will show up and it'll be 2020-2021 all over again. I mean, what's stopping another virus from mutating to be able to infect humans with ease like COVID? "Bro watch this shit imma end the olympics and infect the entire world like you did 10 years ago!"

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Many countries are getting hammered again by the virus right now. It's not happening this year. Not surprised, but man that's gotta be a lot of money down the drain. I feel bad for the city officials and atheletes.

Oh well. I'm planning to move to Japan in a few years anyway. Hopefully they can secure the 2032 spot and I can watch the games in person by then. Looking forward to the 2032 travel OT :)

Though I can't shake the feeling that COVID-30 or another virus will show up and it'll be 2020-2021 all over again. I mean, what's stopping another virus from mutating to be able to infect humans with ease like COVID? "Bro watch this shit imma end the olympics and infect the entire world like you did 10 years ago!"

Ideally if another virus comes in the next 10-15 years the world will be more prepared for it due to how recent this one is. No one in most nations dealt with anything like COVID in their life times. A lot of nations that had recent pandemics supposedly did much better than places like the US and Europe.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Officials from the central government, the Tokyo metropolitan government and the Olympic organizing committee have come up with three options regarding spectator numbers at the venues. The alternatives are: no limit, 50 percent of capacity, and no fans.

Sources said the central government plans to decide on which alternative to go with by the end of March.

Some sources said the idea of allowing in spectators from abroad should be abandoned even before spring, given the continuing increase in new COVID-19 cases.

However, central government officials want to use the Olympics as a catalyst for recovery in inbound visitors to Japan. They have started developing a system using smartphone apps and facial recognition technology to detect and monitor infected people.

The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee is continuing its preparations on the presumption that no restrictions will be placed on the number of spectators. It is also considering the creation of a computer system that would only handle ticket sales for 50-percent capacity.

The "zero spectators" option would ease the burden on the government to implement infection-prevention measures at the Olympic venues. That alternative could be chosen as late as June, sources said.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That 50% thing would be interesting. They'd need to do a lottery to decide whose tickets to refund.

Ouch.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Why entirely cancel it rather than delay it by another year? Seems pretty crazy considering how much money Japan has invested into it

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cartan (ticket seller) just sent this in an email...

IOC Statement

We refer you to the strong and clear statement that the Japanese Government made today, saying that the report is "categorically untrue". Please find the statement here:

"Some news reports circulating today are claiming that the Government of Japan has privately concluded that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus. This is categorically untrue.

"At an IOC Executive Board meeting in July last year, it was agreed that the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 would be held on July 23 this year, and the programme and venues for the Games were rescheduled accordingly. All parties involved are working together to prepare for a successful Games this summer.

"We will be implementing all possible countermeasures against COVID-19 and will continue to work closely with the IOC, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government in our preparations for holding a safe and secure Games this summer."

Together with its Japanese partners and friends, the IOC is fully concentrated on and committed to the successful delivery of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 this year.

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Suga says it's still happening:
www.reuters.com

Japan PM says determined to realise Olympics, will cooperate with Tokyo and IOC

Japan's Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Friday that he was determined to realise the Tokyo Olympics.

This is the idiot that decided that people in Japan should go travel all over the country while cases were spiking and then acted surprised when the cases went out of control while continuing to do nothing. The hubris of the Abe and then Suga administration is astounding so its no surprise that they had no plan to get people vaccinated in time for the Olympics. Make no mistake, mask-wearing culture here kept cases stable here for a while but Japan's handling of the crisis has been consistently bad from the beginning.

Suga will double down before he is forced to cancel once Japan starts getting bad press.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The vaccine thing is so surprising to me. Given how much the country will lose if the Olympics is cancelled, you'd think it would be worthwhile putting a whole chunk of money into getting the population vaccinated so as to ensure it goes ahead.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
initially i thought it would proceed without spectators, but there's no way it's going ahead now. the 建前 will crumble soon enough.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Artistic swimming: Olympic qualifier postponed over travel restrictions

The final artistic swimming qualifier for the Tokyo Olympics has been postponed from March to May due to concerns related to the coronavirus pandemic, the International Swimming Federation said.

The final artistic swimming qualifier for the Tokyo Olympics has been postponed from March to May due to concerns related to the coronavirus pandemic, the International Swimming Federation said Thursday.

The event was scheduled to take place from March 4 to March 7 at Tokyo Aquatics Center, and was set to be the first Olympic test event with COVID-19 countermeasures in place. FINA said the tournament will now be moved to May 1-4.

World swimming's governing body said the decision was made to ensure fair conditions for participating athletes, which would be difficult with the current travel restrictions in Japan.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Tokyo 2020 President Yoshiro Mori said on Tuesday that Japan would hold the Summer Olympics regardless of the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic and was working closely with the International Olympic Committee to make them happen.

"We will hold the Olympics, regardless of how the coronavirus (situation) looks," Mori said, adding that the discussion should focus on how, not whether, the Olympics will happen.

"We must consider new ways of hosting the Olympics" as a part of that, he said.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
ca1d215c591d2356acb0b071583798d1.png