• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Can you even get tickets to the opening ceremony as a non-JPN resident? The ATRs only seem to have packages for different dates (not to mention expensive prices).

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I think my ticket budget is reasonable. After considering all the options however, the hotel is going to be by far the hardest and most expensive part. Not going to stay in a capsule hotel or a 6-bed dormitory; I'm here for vacation, not a nightmare. Going to stay in contact with my JP friends regarding hotels and when their reservations open up. Can't stay at their places sadly for various reasons.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
How is everyone going about planning? I wanted to go with a friend and I have a significant amount saved up but I am kind of overwhelmed with the planning.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Are you claustrophobic? Honestly 4/5 of the capsule places I've stayed in have been nicer than most cheap hotel rooms in Tokyo.

I've stayed in capsule hotels for one night many times, but they were never crowded, usually consisting of just a small group of Japanese business dudes with impeccable manners. This time the capsules are going to be 100% packed out drunk foreigner chaos. Peace, quiet, and privacy will be a lost memory there.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This right here.

I'm co-owner of a small travel agency here in Japan (for the French-speaking market tho) and can't stress enough how far right planning will take you.
It depends of everyone really and backpacking randomly can be a nice experience, but IMO if you have specific expectations when it comes to what you want to see, to do, where you want to sleep etc. Japan is one of these country where you need to prepare well in advance. Booking something you really wanna do and have been planning can be hard already with how overcrowded the country currently is.

We've been selling tours for this spring since the last one ended basically, and had our first inquiries for the Rugby World Cup like over a year ago. Those related to the Olympics can't be too far ahah.
I feel like backpacking and whatnot comes with the "if you are white" caveat but I hope that I'm wrong

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
We're planning to go with ryokans while we're there.
Advice: don't go for ryokans for your entire stay unless you know what you're getting into.
Quality/price ratio for them is much better in the countryside + Japanese diners/breakfasts every morning is just not for everyone.

It's usually more enjoyable to go with a majority of classic western styles hotels with the odd ryokan here and there.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cheers.

Might have to consider that for the night I'm hoping to be down near the velodrome. (Izu, Shizuoka)

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think my ticket budget is reasonable. After considering all the options however, the hotel is going to be by far the hardest and most expensive part. Not going to stay in a capsule hotel or a 6-bed dormitory; I'm here for vacation, not a nightmare. Going to stay in contact with my JP friends regarding hotels and when their reservations open up. Can't stay at their places sadly for various reasons.

Just saying, even those sleep places are great for vacations depending on what you book. 47m² apartment for two friends and myself for 50$ a night in almost central Tokyo is difficult to beat with anything and it's not really different from a hotel.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Requested a bunch of tickets, including the opening ceremony, via the Japanese residency allocation.

Not holding my breath but here's hoping!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming there must be a second lottery at some point because the first isn't a mandatory purchase.

There's zero about buying tickets yet on the authorised UK seller, so for the moment I've worked out a request using CoSport, who supposedly can sell to the EU... still waiting to hear back from them if they actually are allowed to sell to the UK though.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SO is it not in my interest to request the max (30) tickets? Did we ever find out if you're obligated to purchase if you "win" the lottery? I thought I had read somewhere on the website you were not.

Edit: Ah, it says you're submitting a non-binding ticket request, but doesn't clarify if it means non-binding on their behalf (which is obvious) or your behalf.

Edit 2:
  • You will be able to accept or reject confirmed tickets on a per session basis. No other modification to your confirmation will be accepted.
  • Payment in full will be required between June 20 - 26, 2019 for any tickets you wish to purchase.
  • After June 26, 2019, any confirmed but unpurchased tickets will be returned to inventory for sale.
Lesson: REQUEST THE MAX!

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SO is it not in my interest to request the max (30) tickets? Did we ever find out if you're obligated to purchase if you "win" the lottery? I thought I had read somewhere on the website you were not.

Edit: Ah, it says you're submitting a non-binding ticket request, but doesn't clarify if it means non-binding on their behalf (which is obvious) or your behalf.

Edit 2:
  • You will be able to accept or reject confirmed tickets on a per session basis. No other modification to your confirmation will be accepted.
  • Payment in full will be required between June 20 - 26, 2019 for any tickets you wish to purchase.
  • After June 26, 2019, any confirmed but unpurchased tickets will be returned to inventory for sale.
Lesson: REQUEST THE MAX!
Ah cool, good to finally get a confirmation.

Oct 27, 2017
Im in Japan right now, lol, and leaving tomorrow :(. Here's my take:

I don't know where all you guys are from and/or your incomes, but Japan (and Tokyo above all) is crazy stupid expensive. Like, you want to cry yourself to sleep expensive. So you should expect everything to be x3 more expensive during the Olympics.

In Tokyo I stayed in the Asakusa neighborhood. It's pretty far off from the "'main" tourists spots and downtown, but it's way cheaper (both accommodation and food around here). Also, Asakusa itself is pretty touristy (Sensoji temple) so it's still a good, quiet place to stay.

I've noticed the language barrier is a thing. It's a mess. Barely anyone speaks english. The good thing is, most subway/metro guards do, so if you're lost just ask them. I'm sure they'll have more english speaking people around the games, though. Get the metro pass (there are different ones, bc different lines, some private, yada yada). Get JR pass. You can travel between cities and locally (ocasionally) cheaper that way.

Places I recommend you visit:
Kamakura (50 min near Tokyo)
Kyoto (2 hour ride or so in bullet train; w JR pass might be longer)
Near Kyoto: Kurama dera and Kibune (great onsen in Kurama-dera)
Nara (although you're not missing much)
Hiroshima + Miyajima (go Miyajima in the morning ~ 10 am; then Hiroshima for the museums before 6 pm)
Osaka (just for 1 day; not much to see. Make sure to go on a weekend, it's a big party city if youre into that). Himeji is close to Osaka, nice castle.

Other things:
Everything opens late (11:00, sometimes 12:00). There are a few places opened earlier offering breakfast. Also, everything closes early (6 pm, sometimes - specially museums, castles and such, close much earlier)

There are almost no places to charge your phone (only some Starbucks and like tourism information offices and internet cafés). Buy a battery, charge by night. Also rent a pocket wifi or buy a sim card, it is life saving. Keep em charged.

7/11, Family Market are open 24/7. Most of them have toilers too if you need them. 7/11 is cheaper and has better quality food imo.

You can drink alcohol on the streets.

You can't smoke/eat while you walk. There are smoking designated areas (some places, bars specially, allow smoking indoors).
Partying is expensive (much more so for straight men; think 1500 yen for women - 3.500 - 4000 for men).

If your LGBT, go to Shinjuku. There's a bunch of gay bars there (I recommend Aiiro cafe and Eagle; nice, friendly open gay bars). There's a lesbian bar, too (women only).

Speaking of Shinjuku: if you're into jazz, go to Shinjuku Pitt Inn. Nice jazz place (but $$$).

Pharmacy's and mini markets have condoms if you need them. You can also buy lube but only in pharmacy's (they might laugh, just ignore them). If you need bigger condoms, there's a 5 floor sex shop in Akihabara.

Akihabara: go to Super Potato if you like retro games. Also, don't buy things there before checking Nakano Broadway. They sell merch and retro games there, too (and cheaper). I also found Mother 3 there (unlike Super Potato). Go to a maid café (it's a weird experience; they're pricy though and charge a cover charge and additional ones if you stay longer than one hour). Also, main character's merch are more expensive (like, Pikachu stuff will be more expensive than say Chansey).

Shibuya: there's a nice thrift shop (also, cheap), near Forever 21. I think it's called Comme des Garçons. Anyway, clothing isn't as expensive imo. Go to hachiko, the crossing. Go to Loft store (largest one in Tokyo), if you love stationary and planners (they sell the cute Earthbound 2 Hobonichi Techo there). There's a cool music cd store I cant remember the name (they sell city pop music as well).

Subway ends at 00:00. If you're far, never take a cab. It's insanely expensive. Just make it till 5 am somehow. You can sleep at a Burger King if you need to. Party all night or go Karaoke (you can sleep there too, but its more expensive lol). Or hook up and get an actual bed! Yay!

Go to Team Lab Planets. Trust me. Amazing experience. You can look up a video but I'd suggest you don't. Just read about it.

If you need tickets for Ghibli Museum (they go out fast; try govoyagin. 100% reliable). Also be aware the museum and other places could get maitnance.

Food:
Try okonomiyaki (both osaka and hiroshima versions)
Tonkatsu
Takoyaki
Sushi (go to Tsukiji market in the morning)
Ramen
Onigiri
All thing matcha

If you're vegetarian or vegan, download the Happy Cow app. There are veggie friendly places, but not cheap.

I'll add more things later

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how these things usually go for host cities/countries, how much will the olympics effect prices during 2020 in general? I'm planning on a 2020 vacation to Japan, likely in May. That seems substantially ahead of the olympics to me, but I don't know if the olympics typically cause some tourist boom even in other months that will drive prices up abnormally high.

Although I don't plan on staying in Tokyo for long, maybe just landing there and sticking around for a couple days. Me and my partner went to Tokyo last year for a week and a half, so next vacation I plan on spending more time in Kansai, Tohoku and maybe Hokkaido.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
We are planning to go to Osaka on Spring next year, and I'm expecting huge crowds already before the Olympics.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how these things usually go for host cities/countries, how much will the olympics effect prices during 2020 in general? I'm planning on a 2020 vacation to Japan, likely in May. That seems substantially ahead of the olympics to me, but I don't know if the olympics typically cause some tourist boom even in other months that will drive prices up abnormally high.

Well, they're hoping for 40 million overseas tourists in total for 2020. Last year was 32 million. The number of overseas tourists going just for the 2012 and 2016 Olympics was around 4-500K it seems, so yeah :P

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
Well, they're hoping for 40 million overseas tourists in total for 2020. Last year was 32 million. The number of overseas tourists going just for the 2012 and 2016 Olympics was around 4-500K it seems, so yeah :P

god damnit ;_; I'm mainly worried about airline prices, but hopefully in the spring tickets will only go up so much.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Ticket request submitted! Hopefully all my attempts to avoid the most popular sports works out and I get a nice lottery win.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really not optimistic about chances to get tickets.

Only 20% of tickets get allocated to outside of Japan. Unlike previous Olympics, Japan has overwhelmingly applied for more tickets than are available. So when they pool altogether the tickets allocated to each country, it's going to be difficult grabbing anything.