• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One of the reviews said that the EX Story dungeon is only 3 sidequests that each last a little under half an hour, so it doesn't sound like it's a very meaty addition. But I'll still be double-dipping for portability and faster pace (reduced load times & combo skipping).

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This game is great, and I'm glad it's getting a second chance on Switch. One of the best battle systems in years, and it sounds like it is only improved with the option to speed up sessions.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Great makes me want to jump back in even more(never finished the original, made it through the first 2-3 dungeons)... but my backlog says wait(I need to beat octopath and TWEWY first at least). Plus my budget with March coming. But if I happen to be in Walmart in the next couple weeks and see a copy I might give ub

OniBarubary

Nov 30, 2017
I just could not finish this game.

I loved the combat, loved the game systems, found the dungeons pretty neat (except that invisible wall one) and a bunch of other gameplay aspects.

But I hate hate hated the plot and characters and dialogue and focus on idols. I loathe idol culture and it just bounced me off so fucking hard with how it's focused on celebrating and enjoying idols. Which is a fair decision to focus on, a game doesn't have to focus on the shitty everything of idol culture. But that made it almost impenetrable for me to enjoy.

I'd looooooove a game with this system and a different focus and plot.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One of the reviews said that the EX Story dungeon is only 3 sidequests that each last a little under half an hour, so it doesn't sound like it's a very meaty addition. But I'll still be double-dipping for portability and faster pace (reduced load times & combo skipping).

It isnt. It's the most bare bones addition to the game and feels like a dungeon created solely to reward you with the new content without them finding a way to put it into the original game.

I don't think this would be worth a double dip for anyone. A first time player, maybe, but I'd definitely steer clear if you're hoping the new dungeon adds anything.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It isnt. It's the most bare bones addition to the game and feels like a dungeon created solely to reward you with the new content without them finding a way to put it into the original game.

I don't think this would be worth a double dip for anyone. A first time player, maybe, but I'd definitely steer clear if you're hoping the new dungeon adds anything.

I'm double-dipping. I've got 6 kids so portability is a big deal for me (no need to fight with the kids over TV time) & I HATE long load times. And from what I played on the Wii U (around 50-65% I believe), I loved the game.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I could get the game this month or until later, but I'm quite hyped you know. And beside, seeing Etrian Odyssey love from TMS make me feel warm inside <3

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
TheSixthAxis - 9/10

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore feels particularly timely. The world hasn't been the brightest, most hopeful place in recent years, but leading a team of cheerful, committed teen pop idols against demonic entities makes it feel that much brighter. This is a game that's dedicated to hope for the future, and that creativity is an integral component of that. I'm willing to believe them too.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Noice!

Hopefully it'll be more successful this time.
I hope to play it someday, but it's very expensive on Wii U and I don't think I'll pay 60 just right now on the switch.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I quite liked the game on Wii U, but got bored with it half way through. I would imagine it holds up better on Switch where you can play the grindy parts more in short moments out and about.
I won't double dip because of those grindy parts though.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Improved load times are a massive reason to play it on Switch too

Also the ability to take screenshots more easily. Holy shit, Wii U screenshots were awful. I wanted to share my love of certain scenes and funny dialogue and it was impossible back in the day.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I mean for me I could never finish any jrpg on wiiu due to its form. I've been more successful on switch so that's enough for me

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
updated the OP a little bit, will add more soon.
the game is swimming in 8s.

edit: a review with a score of 88 that's mistakenly added to metacritic as an 80

Hobby Consolas (88/100, review in spanish):
Second opportunity to discover one of the most fresh JRPGs in recent years. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore is practically a Persona with a hint of Fire Emblem, so if you are fans of the genre you should not leave it ... Even if you deeply hate J-POP songs (you will change your mind, we guarantee it).

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Played this a few years back and had a lot of fun. Would double-dip if it weren't for 2020 being absolutely packed.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the Wii U version just a month before the Switch version was announced. One of the biggest problems I had with the game was the longer session combos taking forever in the late game so glad thats fixed somewhat.

If the game would have removed Barry entirely I think I'd gladly replay the game eventually but god he is the worst and the creepiest thing by far in the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
another mistake by metacritic, vooks's 3.5/5 (70) review is listed as 60

Vooks (3.5/5):
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore is a deeply fascinating game. On the one hand, it's mechanically one of the best RPGs I've ever played. On the other, its inability to appropriately handle serious issues, complete lack of character growth, and often downright creepy characterisation makes it a difficult game to recommend to anybody. It's a divisive game, but it's been given a second life on the Switch nonetheless. Whether or not that's a good thing is still up for debate.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Great reviews! It will take me a while before i'll get to play this as i have quite a few 2019 Switch releases i still haven't played yet.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the Wii U version. Music-themed JRPG with intriguing turn-based combat and a plot that's basically an idol-themed season of Sailor Moon makes for something really silly but endearing and fun.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Looking forward to get this game. After this I think I won't get other day one games for a bit, since I want to clear my backlog, but this game will have immediate priority. I always wanted to play it, and now that I have the possibility I must take it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Was going to get this but Amazon raised the price to ÂŁ50 which is just a bit too much for me right now. I could buy it with a voucher (since I'm gonna be needing one for Animal Crossing anyways) but I'm not really sure whether I want to make that commitment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do those happen more often nowadays? I recall coming across errors like these a few times over the last few months.
i have noticed one or two when i was doing review threads for different games, but never two times for 1 game. there was a 3rd mistake this time too where they listed "Metro GameCentral" as "Metro Montreal" but they've fixed it now.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Nor sure if I want to start this or Aliance Alive on Steam, I'm trying not to have more than one jrpg on the go at a time anymore or I end up not finishing a lot of them

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The battle mechanics are actually pretty great. But IIRC I would also compare party management to deckbuilding. You want to stack your abilities in a way to maximize sessions for damage. It's decently unique and quite fun.

The dungeon design, while not randomly generated, definitely feels like b-tier budget jrpg design. Look no further than the first dungeon where you're raising and lowering some arms that allow you to cross different levels, complete with repeated text and animations every. time. you. move. it. It never feels as involved (or thematic) as it is in Persona 5.

I don't mind no dub much, but no subs for in-battle dialogue really, really irks me. If you're going to take one and only one direction, do it properly. 720p only is also a bit disappointing. The artstyle looks vibrant and beautiful, so being sub-1080p feels like a disservice. I would never underestimate the power of shorter load times in jrpgs though. Those few seconds are so crucial in keeping the player engaged.

I'll probably double dip this if it ever goes on sale, but anyone on the fence about anything but the idol theme (because it really plays that up) should give it a try. It's a very competent jrpg.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the Wii U version just a month before the Switch version was announced. One of the biggest problems I had with the game was the longer session combos taking forever in the late game so glad thats fixed somewhat.

If the game would have removed Barry entirely I think I'd gladly replay the game eventually but god he is the worst and the creepiest thing by far in the game.

Yea, the long auto chain strings to sit through made combat real droll on Wii U.

I also agree with reviews calling out the characterization and handling of the material. On the one hand it's a dumb story about a bunch of somewhat inept kids being thrown into their dreams of becoming pop idols and models. Could be surprising if an attempt was made to showcase growth or actual depth, but instead its the most mundane surface level nonsense throughout what I played. I decided I had enough after one particular subquest involving overcoming a characters' inability to interact with fans. Like, literally a full-grown person irrationally giving a child-like response akin to hiding behind mother's legs at the request of an autograph. It's beyond insipid.

The dungeons are well crafted though. Lots of dangers, traps, unique varied obstacles and slight pathing puzzles to contend with. I enjoyed the several I played through(but quit about 15hrs in). They were literally the best part of the game I found. Everything surrounding them didn't keep me engaged enough.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
WiiU version confirmed to be superior then :^)

I seriously don't see the point in buying it if you already have it. Different story if you don't have it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't sound like there's much in the way of additions if you've already played the original but I'm still looking forward to replaying it.

Hopefully more people give it a shot this time around.