• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I played a few hours of this on WiiU. I can't wait to fully play it with the Battle speed up features. That was the most glowing thing it needed. Battle animations are AWESOME to watch!

Oct 31, 2017
yeah definite agree with you

another thing is the SRP for the game is very expensive despite it being remaster cos of the music licensing from Avex Group
NA eshop - USD $59.99
J eshop - 7,370yen ( with tax ) ~ USD $67

I don't think it's because of licensing: digital games are always expensive from my experience. Day one retail games in Japan are also up there.

Something I did notice on the Twitter responses and this might actually be a valid complaint. The changes aside, which I did expect the users to comment on, some users are complaining the fact there doesn't seem to be any TV promotional presence and only seem Nintendo is focusing on web commercials for the games. While it's true streaming is becoming a more viable option for promoting games, given this is a physical software and if Nintendo really is restricting advertising of the game, I'm guessing expectations are absurdly low or something.

We'll likely know for sure in the next couple of weeks if ads show up on TV. But if there really isn't any TV presence, especially this close to release now...

This is a niche (re)release so no surprise there.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The western changes wouldn't be so bad if they didn't look like absolute shit. Like they just painted her skin white. There is no actual costume change. Like if your going to make edits to costumes at least actually add additional costume pieces. Also the stuff they changed is horribly inconsistent. This wedding dress costume for instance isn't that revealing like... at all.. yet there are still other far more revealing outfits still in the american version of the game. Its just an absolute mess of an editing job.
Tsubasa-Wedding-Dress.jpg

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm going to buy this one as I loved the original version and having it on the Switch is really convenient, but it's kind of a disappointing port:
-No changes to the inconsistent edits
-No new party members
-AFAIK only a new song and some new dungeons
-No better resolution (this one is the worst offender)
-No new translations or even english dub

I appreciate having quick sessions though, and I recommend this game to all people that never played it on the U, but I expected a better port, having another 720p without antialiasing version feels really lazy and even if there's new content the lack of visual upgrades makes the port the feel worse than all the games that have been released with less new content.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The western changes wouldn't be so bad if they didn't look like absolute shit.
Some examples like that one or the smoke obscuring Aversa's chest are bad. But others like Tsubasa's hip hop costume are great. They also made the effort to re-record voice lines expressly in the Western version for the age changes, when they refer to how old they are in dialogue.

So it's a mix of bad and good.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This isn't Persona 1 PSX where among other things they changed the race of some characters & removed like a third of the game (Snow Queen alternate story path). In TMS#FE they changed the bikini modeling story into a general modeling story (which arguably improves the storyline since it's not like the original game was coming out against bikini modeling of minors) & changed a few costumes. I hate how all of the discourse around one of the best turn-based JRPGs of the decade is drowned out by people complaining about this non-issue.
That's a flat-out lie.

It's obvious who actually played the game and judged the changes for themselves. This discourse of "an entire chapter makes no sense" is just blatantly false. Tsubasa overcomes her nervousness at idoling at the end of the dungeon, regardless whether it was a swimsuit or "weird fashion clothes". And that was the point.

The whole censorship controversy must be one of the most disgusting and nonsensical things I've ever witnessed. It's literally a non-issue.

This.

I wonder how hard it is to code in subtitles or whatever. The last game that I remember doing this was Project X Zone (& PXZ2) where they added text boxes, but even then only for pre- and post-battle dialogue and choice moments during specials. But the characters talk a lot in battle in those games so subbing all of that would probably be a huge hassle.

I would really like this. Fate/Grand Order added subtitles in the battles whenever Noble Phantasms get fired off, and I love it. Still not subbed every single "shout" or end-battle phrase, but I can take what I can get.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Something I did notice on the Twitter responses and this might actually be a valid complaint. The changes aside, which I did expect the users to comment on, some users are complaining the fact there doesn't seem to be any TV promotional presence and only seem Nintendo is focusing on web commercials for the games. While it's true streaming is becoming a more viable option for promoting games, given this is a physical software and if Nintendo really is restricting advertising of the game, I'm guessing expectations are absurdly low or something.

We'll likely know for sure in the next couple of weeks if ads show up on TV. But if there really isn't any TV presence, especially this close to release now...
It would make very little sense to advertise this game on TV.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would make very little sense to advertise this game on TV.

Not to argue against, since I know the viability of selling is a lot lower, but any particular reason why with this game you're saying this with? I've seen some relatively under the radar Otome and Boys Love games be advertised and those often tend to hit a relatively small niche market on Japanese TV. I wish I still had one of my recordings from TV Tokyo while I was watching it, but I remember one in particular being advertised during TV Tokyo's run of TMNT 2012 series, which caught me off guard a bit.

I get the late port aspect and also using the North American version as the basis (since that did apparently cause an uproar in the Japanese community), due to ensuring a quick and easy SKU release being possibly reasons against advertising. But I feel odd that the game is being ported to Switch, since it feels like it was intended to give people a chance to play it that couldn't due to the previous limited platform, but not even as much as a 15 and/or 30 second CM for it is a little odd to me.

Those type of questions make me wonder ultimately what was the purpose of the port if it wasn't to try and give the game another shot, is all.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not to argue against, since I know the viability of selling is a lot lower, but any particular reason why with this game you're saying this with? I've seen some relatively under the radar Otome and Boys Love games be advertised and those often tend to hit a relatively small niche market on Japanese TV. I wish I still had one of my recordings from TV Tokyo while I was watching it, but I remember one in particular being advertised during TV Tokyo's run of TMNT 2012 series, which caught me off guard a bit.

I get the late port aspect and also using the North American version as the basis (since that did apparently cause an uproar in the Japanese community), due to ensuring a quick and easy SKU release being possibly reasons against advertising. But I feel odd that the game is being ported to Switch, since it feels like it was intended to give people a chance to play it that couldn't due to the previous limited platform, but not even as much as a 15 and/or 30 second CM for it is a little odd to me.

Those type of questions make me wonder ultimately what was the purpose of the port if it wasn't to try and give the game another shot, is all.
Because porting is cheap and (almost) everything sells on the Switch. It's kinda a no-brainer.

Investing serious ad money into the game would, most likely, make the project harder to justify financially.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think the censored wedding dress looks cooler honestly but the uncensored one doesn't really look deserving of censorship, unless there are some.... interesting camera angles used in that section of the game

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Because porting is cheap and (almost) everything sells on the Switch. It's kinda a no-brainer.

Investing serious ad money into the game would, most likely, make the project harder to justify financially.
Honestly, I'm just happy that the game is getting a second chance on the Switch regardless of how much promotion it will or won't get. And they're putting enough effort into the port to add new content and make QoL adjustments. I don't have any delusions that it will light the sales charts on fire, but as a bright, crazy star that shined at the end of the Wii U's life, it has its place on the Switch.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I played a few hours of this on WiiU. I can't wait to fully play it with the Battle speed up features. That was the most glowing thing it needed. Battle animations are AWESOME to watch!
Why do JRPG's always add stuff like this in rereleases ffs, should have been there from the start.

I don't know how anyone finished DQ11 on PC/PS4, ultra fast battle speed was a godsend on the Switch version.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm going to buy this one as I loved the original version and having it on the Switch is really convenient, but it's kind of a disappointing port:
-No changes to the inconsistent edits
-No new party members
-AFAIK only a new song and some new dungeons
-No better resolution (this one is the worst offender)
-No new translations or even english dub

I appreciate having quick sessions though, and I recommend this game to all people that never played it on the U, but I expected a better port, having another 720p without antialiasing version feels really lazy and even if there's new content the lack of visual upgrades makes the port the feel worse than all the games that have been released with less new content.
Where did you get info about the Res?

Sorry if it's obvious; that's a massive shame though, must have been a really cheap port. Fair enough, if the game is good that's the most important thing ultimately.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Where did you get info about the Res?
Watch the long Nintendo Japan videos, it's quite obvious that the resolution is 720p (it looks "soft" overall) and that no AA was applied. It's a shame, because the game looks rather nice and a res upgrade and some AA could do wonders for the presentation. I can understand not paying for a dub or new translation, but the Switch is poweful enough to run U games at higher res and I don't think this needs lots of new optimization work.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Why do JRPG's always add stuff like this in rereleases ffs, should have been there from the start.

I don't know how anyone finished DQ11 on PC/PS4, ultra fast battle speed was a godsend on the Switch version.
Pokemon is nearly unbearable right now without a FF option.

I don't understand how every JRPG after Bravely Default didn't have FF and Random encounter rate settings.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If people are so frustrated, there also exists a modded undub version which is the original Japanese version with English subs.
Huh? But this game doesn't have an English dub. And the "issue" is that this Switch version of the game only has one version, and it's based on the Western Wii U release. It extends to Japanese players who are frustrated about the changes themselves.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Huh? But this game doesn't have an English dub. And the "issue" is that this Switch version of the game only has one version, and it's based on the Western Wii U release. It extends to Japanese players who are frustrated about the changes themselves.
It will probably be possible to mod the Switch version with the assets from the Japanese Wii U release. There are already lots of other Switch games with mods if you have CFW.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
It will probably be possible to mod the Switch version with the assets from the Japanese Wii U release. There are already lots of other Switch games with mods if you have CFW.

As a side note regarding Atlus games:
They have done similar patches with Persona 3 on PSP, Persona 4 on PS2, Persona 4 Golden on Vita and Persona 4 Ultimax Suplex Hold on PS3, that had only English voices in the story mode, replacing it with Japanese. Only Persona 4 Arena had dual audio. Also Steam version of Catherine featured dual audio, unlike PS3 version. At least ps4 version has dual audio too.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing to hear that they didn't update the graphics to 1080p or add in some AA and they didn't fix the weird editing of costumes.... Seems like you'd be better off buying the WiiU version and emulating it on PC with the restoration patch, although I haven't checked to see if compatibility has been improved in the past year (used to have sound issues).

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Were Tiki, Maiko and Barry confirmed as non-playable characters yet again? I intend to buy this game again since I liked it on Wii U, but if it doesn't have decent new content I'll probably wait for a discount.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to hear that they didn't update the graphics to 1080p or add in some AA and they didn't fix the weird editing of costumes.... Seems like you'd be better off buying the WiiU version and emulating it on PC with the restoration patch, although I haven't checked to see if compatibility has been improved in the past year (used to have sound issues).
By doing that you'd miss all the QoL and new content additions.
The ability to skip the Sessions is a godsend at the final dungeon and the endgame.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Any handheld impressions?

Edit: found some handheld impressions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Loading time and graphics comparison.

While graphic improvements appear to be minimal. Loading time saw a huge improvement with 2 times faster than the Wii U version at minimum.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Watching the gamexplain discussion and John said that it's his favorite battle system in an Atlus game. I'm hyped now.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Loading time and graphics comparison.

While graphic improvements appear to be minimal. Loading time saw a huge improvement with 2 times faster than the Wii U version at minimum.

The battle load times look night and day different, holy shit. I remember in the original how you would awkwardly sit on that splash screen for a few seconds and it felt like forever.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Wii U was pretty expensive when I tried to buy.

Hopefully this one can reach a more viable price or even lower the price of the original.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
I need to watch these previews. REALLY in the mood for a fun, turn-based JRPG lately and this looks interesting to me. I passed this up on the WiiU, so I'd be going in fresh. Hopefully it's what I'm looking for.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I haven't done a pixel count but it seems to be 720p in both modes, handheld looks sharp