• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
From among the various complex tastes of people worldwide, the developer selects settings and characters that appeal to as many people as possible. That being said, it is true that as we build up the settings and characters, we are sometimes obliged to change something in part of the game. This optimization does not destroy the identity of what we as developers want to convey. Developers would not accept such drastic changes. The changes made during localization are optimizations intended to bring to as many customers as possible the things that we want to convey. No major changes are made that would change what we want to convey.
Good quote

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I don't really agree with that. The game being centered on the Japanese entertainment industry (especially idol culture) and only having a Japanese audio track means the game from the start had a limited potential audience even before they made any of the localization changes. It's still the same game at the end of the day, and the changes just annoy a lot of the intended audience and do nothing to draw in new people who were never going to buy it in the first place because the content and subject matter is unchanged.

catMill22

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
I was planning on buying this but in the end I won't do it since its the censored version.
I don't want my japanese games to be americanised, like at all, and won't support those kind of practices. Besides, in the country where I live I would say we're closer to censoring violence than sexual things (yeah, we're strange and think that killing people is worse than seing tits).

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want my japanese games to be americanised, like at all, and won't support those kind of practices.

One of the only times I have seen a japanese game being considered "americanised" would be Revelations: Persona. So far I haven't seen anything like that for TMS, and if anything, it is too much japanese/for weeabos. People are going to sleep a interesting game only for change a single piece of clothes? which to certain circles it make it more lewd, but whatever.

catMill22

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
One of the only times I have seen a japanese game being considered "americanised" would be Revelations: Persona. So far I haven't seen anything like that for TMS, and if anything, it is too much japanese/for weeabos. People are going to sleep a interesting game only for change a single piece of clothes? which to certain circles it make it more lewd, but whatever.
Well, I'm not saying americanised in the sense of trying to imitate an american product but in the sense of abiding by the american values (which I considere very far from my personal values).
Of course, I don't mind CoD being pure american nationalist propaganda, it's an american product after all, but I don't want Japanese developers suddenly avoiding any sexual reference and doubling down on nonsensical violence just because of market reasons.

That's why I'll boicot this game even if its as good as you say. It's a matter of principles, and I think that by buying it I'm telling nintendo 2 follow that "americanization" path that I don't want for the video-game industry. I mean, with any European studio trying to pass as an american one I think the industry has already limited itself too much, I can't imagine if all those japanese-centric games also become american wannabes.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it they didn't just change a few outfits, they actually censored one of the main quests as well.
So much so that it doesn't make any sense anymore.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Can the mods instate some sort of rule for the OT to limit this censorship talk? It's been done to death by now, I can't imagine I'm the only one who doesn't want to see it in the OT too.

catMill22

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Can the mods instate some sort of rule for the OT to limit this censorship talk? It's been done to death by now, I can't imagine I'm the only one who doesn't want to see it in the OT too.
I understand this has probably been discussed tons of times already, but wouldn't this be true for almost any of the other aspects of this game, which was released for the WiiU a long time ago?
This game represents the first time I know of Nintendo censoring a product since the games are classified by ages, and I fear it may set a precedent (a dangerous one as I see it).

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The entertainment industry stuff turned me off the first time around but after Yakuza 5 I think I'm down for an idol JRPG.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If I strongly dislike JPOP, is there any chance of me liking this game? I finally bought a Switch largely because I eventually want to play SMTV on it, since I'm a big Persona fan, so I'm kinda keeping my eyes on this too.

It depends on how much you dislike J-Pop and how much you like Persona. Because this is practically another Persona game and is really good, but there is a fair bit of J-Pop in it. And it's not like Persona is devoid of J-Pop (4 even has a party member who is a Japanese idol).

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Its such a shame they had to make all these edits. It looks like a game I could enjoy but I wont buy it on principle to support those practices.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well, I'm not saying americanised in the sense of trying to imitate an american product but in the sense of abiding by the american values (which I considere very far from my personal values).
Of course, I don't mind CoD being pure american nationalist propaganda, it's an american product after all, but I don't want Japanese developers suddenly avoiding any sexual reference and doubling down on nonsensical violence just because of market reasons.

That's why I'll boicot this game even if its as good as you say. It's a matter of principles, and I think that by buying it I'm telling nintendo 2 follow that "americanization" path that I don't want for the video-game industry. I mean, with any European studio trying to pass as an american one I think the industry has already limited itself too much, I can't imagine if all those japanese-centric games also become american wannabes.
If "American values" means "not sexualizing children," well then god bless the USA.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Legit do not understand the fervor it takes to straight-up boycott a game over a few dumb costume changes. It's such a small thing in the context of a 30-hour JRPG and the only reason I can see anyone giving enough of a fuck to refuse the entire game is if they just really wanna see underage tiddies.

So yeah, I'm down for some kind of ban on regurgitating the same tired, weird complaints in the OT.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gamers: I wished gaming was taken more seriously!!!

Also gamers: They censored a sexualized costume on a minor????? ARGH!!!!!

Notice how there wasn't much of an outrage when Nintendo censored an obscene gesture Inkling did in MK8:D

Or when Namco censored Velvet's brother getting stabbed

It's so weird that people only get up in arms about censorship is when they can't look at sexualized minors anymore.

SO WEIRD!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

not sexualizing minors is very far from your personal values?

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
The whole censorship controversy must be one of the most disgusting and nonsensical things I've ever witnessed. It's literally a non-issue.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't Persona 1 PSX where among other things they changed the race of some characters & removed like a third of the game (Snow Queen alternate story path). In TMS#FE they changed the bikini modeling story into a general modeling story (which arguably improves the storyline since it's not like the original game was coming out against bikini modeling of minors) & changed a few costumes. I hate how all of the discourse around one of the best turn-based JRPGs of the decade is drowned out by people complaining about this non-issue.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
This game is not a masterpiece but i had a fun time with it and would gladly buy if they didn't do again the same mistake about censorship.
I don't know if i'm allowed to say (if it's forbidden I apologize in advance), but when it came out on wii U people made a restoration mode to reapply the correct script and model, so clearly there were (and there are now) potentially buyers who avoided the game for these stupid changes: that means it would take actually very little work to utilize the right assets for the remaster and it's still not clear to me why they decided to work directly on the censured version. It's a shame, I'd like to have it in collection like a lot of other Atlus stuff I have, but i'm gonna pass on this one.

catMill22

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
User banned (permanent): whataboutism regarding sexualised depictions of minors, inflammatory generalisation, account in junior phase.
If "American values" means "not sexualizing children," well then god bless the USA.
American values as in "nothing sexual, everything violent".
Yeah, sexualizing children is not good, but is it good mass murdering an entire city full of innocent people? Nope, but I'm sure that if the next GTAVI releases with water-pistols instead of real guns that can kill, most of the fandom will be pissed.
The problem here is not having different values, but forcing the rest of the world to embrace mass murderings because "don't worry, it's not real" but then censoring a sexualised drawing of a 15 years old resembling girl (isn't that fiction as well?).

That's arbitrary censorship. I can have games mass murdering people just to have fun because hey, it's fun to kill random people that doesn't pose a thread to me according to the american values, but then hey, you're suuuuuper immoral if you play a game with a 19 years old girl with the body of a 10 years old showing a bit of her ass.

Moral debates, of course you don't have to agree with me, it's just my POW on the subject.

not sexualizing minors is very far from your personal values?
Can I ask you if murdering innocent people is within your personal values?
Because if not, if you can understand that killing a whole city full of innocents in a GTA game doesn't turn you into a mass murderer, then I'm sure you'll understand why a drawing of a 10 year old girl is not the same as sexualizing a real 10 year old girl.
Why allow the first and censor the other?
If done in real life, what would be worse, a guy spying on little girls and touching himself or a guy grabbing a gun and murdering 1000 innocent people? Yes, I know you'll say that the murderer killing 1000 innocent people is less wrong than the guy spying on the girls, but I don't think that's valid for every other country in the world (japan, for example).
I don't have problems with GTA, it's fiction, but for whatever reason japanese games are different and treated as if they were real or something.

Regards.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The problem here is not having different values, but forcing the rest of the world to embrace mass murderings because "don't worry, it's not real" but then censoring a sexualised drawing of a 15 years old resembling girl (isn't that fiction as well?).
Violence does get censored in Japan, and Mortal Kombat 11 wasn't released at all because of it. Different places, different values.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Because the game was mostly better off for being "censored"
That's not true at all, it's not like the problem is not having minors in bikini, it's the rewriting of a complete chapter and the meaning behind it.
Though i guess this is something already discussed in this thread multiple times, so...

Oct 27, 2017
Untranslated battle dialogue is the true controversy here

I wonder how hard it is to code in subtitles or whatever. The last game that I remember doing this was Project X Zone (& PXZ2) where they added text boxes, but even then only for pre- and post-battle dialogue and choice moments during specials. But the characters talk a lot in battle in those games so subbing all of that would probably be a huge hassle.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true at all, it's not like the problem is not having minors in bikini, it's the rewriting of a complete chapter and the meaning behind it.
Though i guess this is something already discussed in this thread multiple times, so...
The original meaning of that chapter was also bullshit and needed to be changed.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The original meaning of that chapter was also bullshit and needed to be changed.
If you don't like the message the developer themselves thought was right, then it's better not playing the game than of asking for a change, even moreso if it's something that alter totally the script and the dialogue adn if there are other people who want to deal with the original content. We're talking about something that doesn't make sense in the censored version.

Someone else here mentioned the dumb change about Laphicet's death in Tales of Berseria; that was as bad as this case, except that was just a few second of a scene, here we're talking about a whole chapter, a whole dungeon and so on.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like the message the developer themselves thought was right, then it's better not playing the game than of asking for a change
The developer was party to changing it and is keeping it changed for the remaster, so I feel pretty confident in saying I'm right that it needed to be changed.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, sexualizing children is not good, but is it good mass murdering an entire city full of innocent people? Nope, but I'm sure that if the next GTAVI releases with water-pistols instead of real guns that can kill, most of the fandom will be pissed.

That's arbitrary censorship. I can have games mass murdering people just to have fun because hey, it's fun to kill random people that doesn't pose a thread to me according to the american values, but then hey, you're suuuuuper immoral if you play a game with a 19 years old girl with the body of a 10 years old showing a bit of her ass.

Moral debates, of course you don't have to agree with me, it's just my POW on the subject.

Because if not, if you can understand that killing a whole city full of innocents in a GTA game doesn't turn you into a mass murderer, then I'm sure you'll understand why a drawing of a 10 year old girl is not the same as sexualizing a real 10 year old girl.
If done in real life, what would be worse, a guy spying on little girls and touching himself or a guy grabbing a gun and murdering 1000 innocent people? Yes, I know you'll say that the murderer killing 1000 innocent people is less wrong than the guy spying on the girls, but I don't think that's valid for every other country in the world (japan, for example).
I don't have problems with GTA, it's fiction, but for whatever reason japanese games are different and treated as if they were real or something.

Regards.
GTA is developed in Scotland.

Also, yikes.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The developer was party to changing it and is keeping it changed for the remaster, so I feel pretty confident in saying I'm right that it needed to be changed.
Can we really know if it's something wanted by them in the first place or something Nintendo decided for them, though? I don't know even if the remaster is actually made by Atlus.

catMill22

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Violence does get censored in Japan, and Mortal Kombat 11 wasn't released at all because of it. Different places, different values.
Yep, but japan doesn't censor Mortal Kombat 11 for the rest of the world.
I mean, I would be fine if that FE censorship only affected the US, the problem here is that it affects even countries where I can assure you our moral values in those subjects (violence vs sexualization) is closer to the japanese one than the american one.

Oh, and be sure that if Japan could somehow have the influence USA has right now in the media I consume and censored MK11 in my country, I would say exactly the same I'm saying here right now.
I don't believe in censoring any fictional product, even the more extreme ones, as long as they're adressed at their intended public (another problem of the GTAs, played by thousands of 6-13 year olds).

Regards!

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine using Japan didn't censor MK11 when Japan flatout banned it.

Then again, I agree that America should ban games that sexualize minors so....

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Regards.
giphy.webp

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Regards.

Fake violence has no long term effects on anyone. The only measurable effects are short term and mundane.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Can we really know if it's something wanted by them in the first place or something Nintendo decided for them, though? I don't know even if the remaster is actually made by Atlus.
The TMS localization is one where its pretty friggin obvious when the atlus side of things was fine with the notes Nintendo gave them for the localization and when they weren't because there are blatant cases where they weren't fine with a change requested and put in the minimum amount of effort to address those notes (re: the dress model everyone points out). The graviure dundeon and accompanying story features way too many examples of them actually putting genuine effort into changing things when they could have gotten away with much less.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unless you've got an interview with the director, it's impossible to know what was original intent and what's in because of the publisher. For all we know the gravure dungeon could have been publisher interference in the first place (sex sells).

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you've got an interview with the director, it's impossible to know what was original intent and what's in because of the publisher. For all we know the gravure dungeon could have been publisher interference in the first place (sex sells).
One of the very first interviews for Genei Ibun Roku #FE after it was actually revealed was the character designer, toi8, talking about how he wanted Tsubasa Oribe's breast size and the size of her glasses to look just right. The character of Maiko exists. The character of Barry Goodman exists. This kind of stuff is all over the game.

People want to argue that #FE is something other than it is. But it is what it is. And part of this game's core is the weird, sexual elements that you'd expect from a saccharine Japanese idol game. It's why there's so much confusion around all of these changes, and why there's so much controversy when a significant portion of this game's intended audience would be in it for that.

TMS #FE has had something of an identity crisis ever since the teaser, and it continues.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Goddamnit Ninty/Atlus, why you gotta go full price with old ports. I wanna support this but it's just too salty for me.

I hope it has good deals soon enough before 2020 really hits off. The release date itself is perfect.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best battle system of this gen. Having it on the wii u but not having finished the game means that I will wait for a sale to buy it