• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yu Kigono

Oct 25, 2017
Like the title says. I haven't been paying attention for a few years, but Shout Factory's upload of Kuuga rekindled my interest. I have seen a bit of W so I know that's solid. What are your recs for what I should watch after Kuuga?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I would go W, Fourze, Drive, or Build. Whichever premise sounds the most interesting to you.

Most of them are solid watches though

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Build is my top recommendation. Gaim, Fourze, and Drive are all good too. W and Ex-Aid are next up for me, so I can't personally recommend them yet, but lots of folks vouch for them.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Top tier:
W, Fourze, Gaim and Build

Okay:
OOO, Drive, Ex-Aid

Avoid:
Wizard, Ghost, Zi-O

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
W, Fourze, Gaim, Ex-Aid, and Build are all top tier, and among some of the best Kamen Rider has to offer.

The only real bad one is Kamen Rider Ghost. The rest are all worth a watch. Of the ones worth watching, Wizard is probably the weakest. It's still got a cool theme tho.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Among the phase 2 series I've seen

Amazing: Build, OOO, Gaim
Great: Drive, Fourze
Good: Ex-Aid
Avoid: Ghost

Oct 25, 2017
So i've seen multiple people tell me to avoid Ghost. Is there any particular reason?

Also, thanks for the recs everyone.

There's a lot of reasons.
It's really boring for one. The plot meanders for so long as it's clear they didn't have enough story for 50 episodes. While the costume looks good, Ghost himself (Takeru Tenkuji) is utterly lame and not interesting. The secondary Rider, Specter, may be the lamest secondary in KR history.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Aid is the best of the bunch, you just gotta get past the suits. Build is gonna be the most popular option, but it's third on my list behind Ex-Aid and Drive. So...

1. Ex-Aid
2. Drive
3. Build
4. Gaim
5. W
6. Fourze

Those are all worth a watch. Wizard is pretty but bad, Ghost is just bad, and Zi-O isn't great but can be fun under the pretense you've seen all the series leading up to it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen W, Gaim, Drive and Ex-Aid (still in the middle of watching this one actually) and they're all worth watching.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved W, hated Gaim, have taken a break since then, I think
Ex-Aid might be for me tho.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Build was the first KR series I watched more than 2 episodes of and I fucking loved it.

W was good, I did find it kind of meh at times
OOO it took me some time but I ended up loving the series overall, namely dat OST
Fourze I just started and don't really have an opinion on it yet
Zero-One is good but it's on hiatus as of Sunday, I like it overall but it has its issues

Working my way through...

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So i've seen multiple people tell me to avoid Ghost. Is there any particular reason?

It's just a very weak show for multiple reasons. The protagonist is fairly bland (going from the usual "I just want a normal life" in the beginning to "flawless savior" by the end of the series, but one who still has no real goal or drive aside from returning to a normal life after beating the villains), he's supposed to be into historical heroes, but it barely comes up outside of him knowing about the souls when they appear. The first few episodes also are very rushed, and although that's eventually fixed, the transition from the first to the second arc is fairly underwhelming. Other writers handling Ghost's protagonist in later crossovers handled him much better by outright making him a ghost/monster hunting monk like his father which gives him a much stronger drive and goal.

Fighting choreography is mostly generic cg spam, since due to having a new producer without willpower they dumped the initial ghostly fighting choreography due to parent complaints about test screenings of Ghost's appearance in Drive's movie. There are a some good battles though, like the first Ghost/Specter team up, but even then the theme of the show is basically wasted.

The second arc itself is an improvement though, especially when the villain faction is actually introduced, but later on the show basically falls apart. The main writer leaves for months but somehow still keeps the main writer position, which means the show grinds to a halt, and at the worst possible moment for that. The monsters of the 2 weeks at this point go from references to historical figures to mystic robots with the same mechanic personality among all of them, and have random gimmicks like they were Sentai monsters like body switching, dream worlds or turning people into children. On top of that, they make the secondary Riders become completely useless, with only Ghost being able to kill the new monsters without allowing them to regenerate. Even some parts that should have been easy to handle are mishandled, like one of the Riders going through a training arc to power up... only to be matched up against an early show villain that has been irrelevant power-wise since the middle 10s, which completely undermines his supposed power up.

Also, the villain faction introduced in the 2nd arc initially had several characters with clashing methods or goals, but in the third arc the surviving ones are united under the blandest of them. The main writer finally returns after months... to write a dumb movie tie-in two parter which feels really out of place and after another brief break he writes a really rushed final arc which resolves everything in 3 episodes in a very underwhelming way. Then there's the final episode which is a tie-in with Ex-Aid and... set up for the Ghost Final Stage (stage show) out of all things.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Also, thanks for the recs everyone.
The story peaks way too early and 2/3rds of the show just seems like shit thrown against the wall. The final big bad would have been midseason on any other show