• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Wizard had a likable main character to me. Ghost didn't even have that.
Ghost was worse. Wizard at least had great suits and some interesting sub plots going on.
Wow. I was told by all who saw it skip Ghost. I was there for Wizard and it was the worst id ever seen. Sucks too given all its potential with its themes, suit actors bein able to cut loose in that suit (as shown from a few early fights), and the potential for rings and gemstones to be cool.

Insteaf somehow dancing padlock fruit sengoku samurai was good and wizard was awful. Just goes to show a good writer can make anything wotk and a bad one can fuck up even with all the best set pieces and props.

If Ghost was truly worse fuck me ill never watch it. Really worried now because this new show has potentially cool themes that may be bout to get trashed.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess "Blaze" might actually be "Blades" considering the naming pattern of the other Riders?

Anyway, I'd take Ghost over Wizard. Specter and Ghost teaming up against Javert and Alain's initial arc until he powers up through Necrom's energy issues are better than anything Wizard had even if Ghost had a worse first episode and then falls apart later on.

NeonZ will clarify it here but IIRC one Ghost's problem was its head writer gone for a long time? Or was it a different show.

Yeah, from the start he had an oddly small presence for Rider, only writing every other arc, but by the late 20s/30s in order to write the summer movie he left for months, causing the show to slow down a lot once the secondary writers wrapped up Necrom's plot. It's clear he kept a lot of plot to write himself, which resulted in a very rushed final arc (add to that wasting two episodes with a movie tie-in too). Still, from the start of the show Ghost was just kind of mediocre, and nothing really stood out, like how in spite of his interest in historical figures most of the time Takeru still played up as a good person forced to fight, rather than being excited about meeting the souls of heroes or anything (he doesn't even talk with them until much later in the show and by their own initiative).

Then it gets even worse. The point where the show slowed down also had a very bad status quo for more episodic battles due to the main enemies being the personality-less Ganmizer that could only be killed by Takeru, making the two other Riders useless... and even so they tried to give them focus episodes, which just didn't work when come the last battle of each arc it all came down to Takeru, with them moved to irrelevant side-battles like facing old enemies that aren't a threat anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Gaim was a damned treasure. I was so disillusioned after Wizard i wasnt gonna watch when I heard its premise. Everyone kept saying it was good after it started. Found out its write did Madoka Magika and Thunderbolt Fantasy. I know that dude has talent. He makes ANY premise dramtic and usually has a huge body count and personal tragedies abound. Started watching it and am amazed by it.

Gaim is up there alongside OOO's and W as one of the best made IMO.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost's biggest problem was that it only had a story for 24 eps. Wizard didn't even have that

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That Saber trailer only made me more pessimistic about the quality of the show. I never felt this way since I started watching weekly episodes midway into Ex-Aid. I guess it was too fortunate that we had a streak of okay-to-great series for so long.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
caught up on Zero one, ep 40 might be the kamen rider hightlight of the last decade at least. Aurto getting a new power everytime Izu felt worried about him is a fantastic call back.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
After I got over the "The story is tragic! Kamen Rider is dark! People die!" of Gaim I find myself liking the series less. An easy answer is I got old and got bored with "dark" stories fast and wanted the hero to be a hero.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Beast being poorly served in Wizard is a mark against Wizard, not Beast. Nito was such a breath of fresh air when he joined the cast and after getting perpetually sidelined and given a miserable upgrade still managed to save the day at the end.

Gaim was a great live watch but I think it buckles a bit as a whole. Still a lot of great moments and characters though.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at Kuuga, we know toku has to have a huge body count. But is more visceral when you see the murders. The bat dude would totally get a redemption arc nowadays

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
LoneBronzeIcefish-max-1mb.gif
Ummm, is that blood??

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at Kuuga, we know toku has to have a huge body count. But is more visceral when you see the murders. The bat dude would totally get a redemption arc nowadays
Man, that pluto put me on to kuuga after only watching a few episodes back in the hk subs days. That shit is sooo good. It's amazing that they could keep the slow burn so interesting. Definitely second best rider season next to kabuto.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Ghost's best episodes weren't even written by Fukuda. Granted, the show's biggest stinkers were also not written by Fukuda, so in terms of writing quality, Saber could land anywhere. Here's hoping that this second rodeo affords the man the opportunity to learn from his prior mistakes and for Toei to be more amenable to his ideas so as to minimalise production problems behind the scenes, though the present situation with Covid could throw a massive wrench into the works. At the very least, I hope Fukuda doesn't suddenly decide to go AWOL halfway through to spend a crap tonne of time writing for a thoroughly mediocre summer movie. We're not working with a 99 day time limit at the outset and he'll have to juggle a large group of Riders with plentiful opportunities for different factions and shifts in allegiances, so perhaps the man will work better with a different premise.

Not super into what I'm seeing for Saber. The premise of fantasy fairy tale worlds colliding with reality won't last, because Toei's CG budget won't allow for it, meaning later episodes will either look laughably cheap or the showrunners default to just having Riders beat each other up in the usual disused warehouse or the top of a dam. Another prominent antagonist purple Rider feels overplayed at this point, especially when we've just had Horobi. The clear lack of a female Rider is another disappointment. They hint at there potentially being roughly ten Riders in total, so there's ample opportunity for a female Rider to enter the fray akin to Gaim's Malika, but after Valkyrie they've evidently just giving up with giving a woman even tertiary Rider billing.

This reveal does starkly put into perspective Super Sentai's relative obsolescence. There's only so much you can do with the Sentai dynamic, because at the end of the day its characters form a cohesive, singular team even if you have 3 v 2 arcs like in Hurricanger. Further there's only so much you can do with the suit design without encroaching Rider territory of being too heavily armoured and ornate. Giving one person too many power-ups is antithetic to the team dynamic that Rider doesn't have to worry about. The latter franchise can now opt for however many active Riders it wants and whatever factional setup it wishes, because its characters aren't beholden to the status quo of having to stick together as a team. They can shift allegiances, betray each other and maybe even become the show's final villain. Sentai's only major standout is having giant mecha robots, but I get the feeling Japanese kids aren't too fond of those bricky Bandai Sentai mecha toys when they can easily opt for more appealing competitors.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
If we don't get art of Saber doing the Skull hat henshin and putting his dumb porkpie hat on top of his head sword we have failed as a fandom

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
There enough women writers that you could have fun with a female rider. I mean hunger games is right there, and twilight.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Beast being poorly served in Wizard is a mark against Wizard, not Beast. Nito was such a breath of fresh air when he joined the cast and after getting perpetually sidelined and given a miserable upgrade still managed to save the day at the end.

Gaim was a great live watch but I think it buckles a bit as a whole. Still a lot of great moments and characters though.

Doesn't change the fact he was Shunpei 2.0 in personality.

Gaim was a damned treasure. I was so disillusioned after Wizard i wasnt gonna watch when I heard its premise. Everyone kept saying it was good after it started. Found out its write did Madoka Magika and Thunderbolt Fantasy. I know that dude has talent. He makes ANY premise dramtic and usually has a huge body count and personal tragedies abound. Started watching it and am amazed by it.

Gaim is up there alongside OOO's and W as one of the best made IMO.

I liked OOO but I think it had a very weak middle, so I wouldn't rank it as one of the best.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
It's the dressing like a kid and acting like a kid and being a full grown adult that just unnerved me. Maybe it's just my own hangup

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Shunpei and Beast really aren't similar outside of the fact that they are both supposed to be comedic characters.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I have no faith that they can develop 10 riders into fully fleshed characters, especially with Ghost's writer.

I'm also starting to burn out on this bunch of rider gimmick, at this point, we have more rider in each show than sentai.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I have no faith that they can develop 10 riders into fully fleshed characters, especially with Ghost's writer.

I'm also starting to burn out on this bunch of rider gimmick, at this point, we have more rider in each show than sentai.

I mean, some of them will have to be Gridon and Knuckleman... but Gridon and Knuckleman were great.

King shit.