• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
At least Ghost had Alain. The only good thing about Wizard was that Kyoryuger aired in the same timeblock.

Have you forgotten Magical Girl Beast?

%5BOver-Time%5D+Kamen+Rider+Wizard+-+24+%5B58C86D9D%5D.mkv_snapshot_09.01_%5B2013.03.03_00.56.24%5D.jpg

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 5

Yeah, as Vareon said, Z is a blessed show. Best fanservice in Toku since Gokaiger.

And I'm so happy they're giving new transforming devices to returning actors, as seem on this episode and the next episode's preview.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Wizard had killer suits and fights and was semi-watchable usually. Ghost became nigh unwatchable at like the episode 18 mark.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wizard is the only main Rider that I know of that was the villain in his show, while the secondary Rider was the hero that saved the day.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ghost is pretty bland in the beginning, but I thought it was improving later - the Specter/Ghost team up against Javel was pretty great. The Ganma World reveal initially also drives some excitement into the series, you've got Takeru now actively hating them and being proactive in going after them and all the in-fighting within the Ganma. After a few episodes though, all that is settled down, with Takeru going back to "normal" and the bland Adel taking over completely and stamping out any internal conflict from the Ganma side. Alain's arc actually had a great conclusion though, but everything falls apart after that.

Due to the main writer leaving for months, the show goes heavy on episodic two parters, but it was at the worst possible moment for that. The biweekly enemies were basically just robots with the same generic "robotic" personality over and over and they set things up in a way where only Ghost could kill them. It was the worst status quo possible to go into a more episodic direction. Then the main writer returns near the ending which leads to an extremely rushed final arc. The best thing about Ghost's last few episodes are Genm's appearances, even if he was just a generic "cool" antagonist at this point.

As far as Wizard goes, I was never fond of it. The battles were just too one sided most of the time for me to get into them. Wizard dancing around while the monsters sit still (only to often still escape somehow due to the two parter formula) just got tiring very quickly. It did have a couple of good moments (Flame Dragon's debut and... huh... Beast saving the day near the end? The crossover epilogue?). Also, I just couldn't see the suits as "cool" when the belt voice was one of the goofiest we've ever gotten (right alongside Ghost's - aside from Necrom).

The whole theme of the series also just didn't sit well with me from the start - Rather than supporting people towards their dreams, Wizard was just there to hold them after they lost their dreams, and it's portrayed as something positive rather than tragic which just felt wrong to me (most obvious with Shunpei's situation). Even Beast suffered from this. People remember the last few arcs where they tried to give him some importance, but he was useless for a long time beforehand. Then you have some bizarre plot choices too
like when the show spends 4 episodes to show that Phantoms are ireedemable, but 10 episodes later in the final form debut Wizardragon befriends Wizard basically off-screen, or Wizard being fine with sacrificing the 3 mages for Koyomi and only realizing he did something wrong when he's told the whole city would be sacrificed too.

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I would probably put Kiva at the bottom of list.

Ghost by far, especially when you get into the material that came after the main series.

Lies and Slander. Kiva was amazing. How can you not love these:

The music also slapes. One of the best rider intros. Wataru also has amazing character development and the Fangire are one of the best designed monsters.

Also I'd say Wizard is worst. Ghost has a cooler concept, and design and some things of Ghost are interesting. The Ghost V-Cinema I enjoyed a lot actually. Wizard was just......boring. Haruto is bland, Koyomi is boring, the Phantoms are boring, Shunpei and Nitoh are some of the most annoying characters in all of rider (like having 2 Eisenberg Luthor's in one show), and the plot only picks up near the end and even then it's lame.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

The music also slapes. One of the best rider intros. Wataru also has amazing character development and the Fangire are one of the best designed monsters.

Also I'd say Wizard is worst. Ghost has a cooler concept, and design and some things of Ghost are interesting. The Ghost V-Cinema I enjoyed a lot actually. Wizard was just......boring. Haruto is bland, Koyomi is boring, the Phantoms are boring, Shunpei and Nitoh are some of the most annoying characters in all of rider (like having 2 Eisenberg Luthor's in one show), and the plot only picks up near the end and even then it's lame.
Did they ever say where the Saga armor came from? My theory is that it was originally used by Queen but after Kivat defected it became King's.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Ghost with some friends online, we're at about the ep20 mark, and we're enjoying it. It's clearly not up there with the other seasons we've watched (Gaim, Fourze, Build, Drive) but Onari is a fun sidekick, and the suits are overall really good. And don't overlook the soundtrack, it's quality as well. The story is ok, that's probably my biggest complaint so far. They basically hit the reset button 15 eps in, so that was disappointing. I'm sure there's plenty of time for it to really nosedive, but for now, it's not bad at all.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list of people that think Kiva wasn't that good, while I can't speak for Wizard because I have yet to watch it, I can honestly say that Ghost is a slog to go through (boy, did it kill interest after the first arc), I plan to finish it at SOME POINT, just not any time soon. Then maybe I'll attempt a watch through of Kuuga...3rd time will be the charm!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Wataru was an actual manchild, the story became nonsensical, Otoya was a terrible person, the ending was terrible, and the series had peak Inoue misunderstandings.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wataru was an actual manchild, the story became nonsensical, Otoya was a terrible person, the ending was terrible, and the series had peak Inoue misunderstandings.

At least Nago got a bit better, after being button crazy and some time-traveling shenanigans...and Officer Sanjou in the movie. HEY LOOK! WORTHLESS TOY ADD-ONS TO THE CASTLE AND POWERED IXA!

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

How did the story become nonsensical? Wataru had great development as he became more confident. The ending was a cliffhanger but fine. Not gonna defend Otoya though.
Did they ever say where the Saga armor came from? My theory is that it was originally used by Queen but after Kivat defected it became King's.

They were created by the Fangire to be subservient to them.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
How did the story become nonsensical? Wataru had great development as he became more confident. The ending was a cliffhanger but fine. Not gonna defend Otoya though.

They were created by the Fangire to be subservient to them.
Everything about connecting the main characters in the past to the main characters of the present towards the end of the series was rushed and made no sense. With Wataru you have him either as a manchild, involved in a frustrating misunderstanding(the Inoue special), or trying to end himself.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Everything about connecting the main characters in the past to the main characters of the present towards the end of the series was rushed and made no sense. With Wataru you have him either as a manchild, involved in a frustrating misunderstanding(the Inoue special), or trying to end himself.

The whole trying to abort himself thing came from a place of grief. He wasn't thinking straight. Also I'm not sure if the whole thinking he killed Mio thing was a misunderstanding as Bishop planned it to make it look like Wataru was at fault.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There is a scene that is 1000 percent gifable in this week's Zero One

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Gai's politician buddy suffers no consequences for his actions. Well, that's actually accurate to real-life politics.
I don't like either side in the competitions. They go out of their way to make the humans look as bad as possible and then on the other side you have the Humagears basically doing everything better than humans with any flaw fixed by the end of the episode. Like if the people accept Humagears the entire world all of these people are going to be replaced and on the streets outside of Aruto and his friends who profit off of them. The humans in the competition being afraid, especially with Gai threatening them is justified for the most part.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I don't like either side in the competitions. They go out of their way to make the humans look as bad as possible and then on the other side you have the Humagears basically doing everything better than humans with any flaw fixed by the end of the episode. Like if the people accept Humagears the entire world all of these people are going to be replaced and on the streets outside of Aruto and his friends who profit off of them. The humans in the competition being afraid, especially with Gai threatening them is justified for the most part.

This whole arc nearly ruined Zero One.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for some shit on this rapping episode of zero-1 aren't MHWilliams
The episode had an idea, and then... It just fucking gives up to get to the fighting. God, just thinking about it annoys me again.

Zero-One as a whole is turning out to be a Kabuto or Kiva. I like some of these elements, and I occasionally like what they do in some storylines, but overall it feels like a large waste of potential. Aruto and Yaiba have been utterly mishandled. Gai and that entire arc were horrible, and honestly the brief touches on Ikazuchi and Naki make me think they should've stuck with Metsu all the way through, and gave those two more shine.

It's not a Ghost or Wizard, but it's not great either.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The episode had an idea, and then... It just fucking gives up to get to the fighting. God, just thinking about it annoys me again.

Zero-One as a whole is turning out to be a Kabuto or Kiva. I like some of these elements, and I occasionally like what they do in some storylines, but overall it feels like a large waste of potential. Aruto and Yaiba have been utterly mishandled. Gai and that entire arc were horrible, and honestly the brief touches on Ikazuchi and Naki make me think they should've stuck with Metsu all the way through, and gave those two more shine.

It's not a Ghost or Wizard, but it's not great either.
I just got to ep 30 and honestly this small business set up feels like what they wanted to do the whole time, I mean ffs Aruto was in charge of one of the most powerful tech companies in the country and he was handing out flyers alone with his assistant. They really didn't want to write him as a man with unlimited resources and the way they write Gai shows it.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 15

Shiguru doesn't get much time to shine, but he's so good on his own focus episodes.

No MotW too, which is kind of another extra point for budget cuts being a good thing sometimes.Good for variety. Add that to the short but kinda creative giant battle, and yeah, good episode.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Up to date with Ultraman Z. Is it me or the special effects superior to what they normally have on Sentai or Rider? It's a fun show. Really enjoying it. Love those little clever visual moments. Geed never clicked with me no matter how much I tried.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, I think Ultraman has better vfx than KR and Sentai. And the miniature work in the giant fights is a great example. It should, that's the focus of Ultraman, but it's still worth pointing out.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Up to date with Ultraman Z. Is it me or the special effects superior to what they normally have on Sentai or Rider? It's a fun show. Really enjoying it. Love those little clever visual moments. Geed never clicked with me no matter how much I tried.

Yeah, Ultra is half-season and has longer production times than Rider and Sentai. Even if the budget is close (and I don't know if it is or not), that's a huge advantage.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
the competitation brought the whole show to a stand still. especially by doing 2 eps for each one

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
the competitation brought the whole show to a stand still. especially by doing 2 eps for each one

Dropped Zero-One because of this - kept thinking of going back now that that arc is done, but seeing comments about how the rest of the season has gone has me feeling like I'm okay with just watching Kiramager haha

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I won't argue the competition arc wasn't a lull but I still enjoyed the characters during it. I think since it's ended though that it's been pretty on-top of it, especially with the introduction of the new villain. I think I like some of the stuff people have issues with from a plot perspective more than others because they serve the themes well, though, and I know that can be a hard sell sometimes.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
After what Gai did in the arc, we're supposed to believe he had a change of heart because he missed his robot puppy?

...No? Like, the puppy seems to be a Rosebud situation more than anything else. Dude was raised to be the most cutthroat capitalist possible. Like, the 1000 percent thing ties super strong into the toxic culture where you can't just earn a profit, it needs to be more of a profit than the previous year and you're expected to be as amoral as possible to make that a reality. The puppy reminded him that there was a time when he could care for things beyond this mercenary window. Given how monomaniacal he tends to be I get that when his motivation changed it would change completely

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
01 - 39

The dog is the best character now. And I'm glad that nobody accepted Gai yet. I expected worse.

Great episode. Can't wait for what's next!

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
That honestly doesn't look too bad, compared to the majority of Kamen Rider games that come out. Focusing on just 3 riders is pretty interesting as well.